• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF turns modern games into PSOne-era classics!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
These are fantastic. I love all this stuff. Great work.

Oh, and since a lot of people don't seem to know, that psychedelic flower jumping is actually in Watch_Dogs. The digital trips are the most fun thing in it.

Kanyon

Tg2lYj3.jpg

JzXD0yB.jpg

yzGrs3a.png

I would play the absolute shit out of this, love me some 2D sprite work!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I hate to admit it but I LOVE the PS1 3d look as long as the framerate holds.

I cannot freaking wait for indies to get off their 2d crap and do cheap 3d. I would play Nibel's Uncharted 2 PS1 port in a heartbeat.

Lijik

These are fantastic. I love all this stuff. Great work.

Oh, and since a lot of people don't seem to know, that psychedelic flower jumping is actually in Watch_Dogs. The digital trips are the most fun thing in it.

I never played the dlc ufo one, but I really wish Ubisoft would make full-featured 15 dollar versions of the four trips in the main game since they were really fun

Amazing! Is the castle background from Soul Reaver?

Thanks! Yeah, it's Soul Reaver, although I had to cover up some bits where Raziel's visible and the health spiral HUD. It's actually somewhat messy but the low res covers it up.

Damn, mine are ugly as fuck :p

Infamous.jpg

I'm really digging this stuff. It looks like you're doing a trick with layers and uniformed unfiltered resizing and it turns out very sharp and really nails the look. Actually, all of this really reminds me of Wings of Saint Nazire, an upcoming indie space shooter that's almost completely done in 2D.

animation1.gif

It's like implementing all of the advanced tech of today but still forcing yourself to work inside the boundaries of old hardware. I feel it can give incredible results. Like actually creating that one awesome game everybody wished for in the 90s.

I cannot freaking wait for indies to get off their 2d crap and do cheap 3d. I would play Nibel's Uncharted 2 PS1 port in a heartbeat.

I wouldn't be surprised if stuff like that starts to pop up. In the recent year or two I've seen an amazing amount of 3D indie games that all use a clean, polygonal look which reminds me of the old glory days of DOS, only it's now embraced as a style and augmented by new rendering techniques.
SCALE
P1GeZnl.jpg

Futuridium
2EyEQTL.jpg

MirrorMoon EP
aXAQGrP.jpg

It feels like it's becoming the new "pixel look" for indie devs that want to venture into 3D territory (and I absolutely love it). Maybe in a few years, when everyone gets tired of the look, devs will start to use low res textures, repeating the technological development cycle almost on purpose. :)

sn00zer

Yep....really would love to see a MML-like designs with no computational constraints...you could fill cities with low poly characters

I wouldn't be surprised if stuff like that starts to pop up. In the recent year or two I've seen an amazing amount of 3D indie games that all use a clean, polygonal look which reminds me of the old glory days of DOS, only it's now embraced as a style and augmented by new rendering techniques.

It feels like it's becoming the new "pixel look" for indie devs that want to venture into 3D territory (and I absolutely love it). Maybe in a few years, when everyone gets tired of the look, devs will start to use low res textures, repeating the technological development cycle almost on purpose. :)

IMO, Drift Stage is one of the best looking low-poly aesthetic games

tumblr_n80dawrRP61tfir0mo1_1280.gif

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Wow, I would have thought this was Soul Reaver. Looks like the Pillars of Nosgoth area.
It is. It's the Raziel clan area. :) You can tell because of the Raziel sigil on that red banner. That, and I played that game way too many times and would recognize it anywhere. >_>

I think Soul Reaver might have been one of the most technically advanced games for the PS1. I'm amazed at how well it holds up. The models are obviously primitive but the environments are still very good looking (the superb art direction helps), and there is never any loading.

Same.

I love the unfiltered low poly look from the PSX era.

More devs should jump on that.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Some people are being harsh to PSX games, lol. It's like GBA ports of PSX games, like that Silent Hill visual novel.

Amir0x

Banned
Some people are being harsh to PSX games, lol. It's like GBA ports of PSX games, like that Silent Hill visual novel.

Hahah, that is what that Crysis screen kept reminding me of. That version of Driver that came out for GBA. Do you remember how crude the 3D was in that game? That shit was hilarious trying to play it, all running at like negative 30 frames per second

I know right haha I came in to post that.

Some of these are great, but I think some people assume the PS1 visuals were like a mid range between NES and Genesis.

RedSwirl

Seeing those Dark Souls and God of War shots with the simple geometry makes me wonder what PS1 games would have been like if developers made them today, knowing what we know now.

I know. Control interfaces basically haven't changed at all since the Dual Shock 1, and most of what we see today on the PS3 or PS4 could probably have been done back then, just with significantly fewer polygons and pixels on screen. The only reason so many games from the PS1 and N64 don't hold up today mechanically is because designers were still figuring out how to design 3D games. The PC side is even more damning. Classics from that same era like Thief, System Shock 2, and Deus Ex are mechanically superior to their PS3/PS4 successors. The only exception I would point out is open-world games.

I think the only significant obstacle to accomplishing most 2014 gameplay on 1995 hardware would be maintaining the framerate.

This is happening, but the problem is a lot of these games are just directly ripping off the look of Minecraft, oftentimes coming off as little more than Minecraft mods.

The repeating of technological development is happening mostly because of the increase in the strength of tools available to indies, and the cost of having good graphics in your game.

This thread is on another level, great work to everyone who helped demake these games.

There's something about the PS1-era hardware limitations that makes me appreciate low-poly demakes of more modern 3D models.

JordanN

Banned
Damn, you guys work fast.

I'm still working out the measurements and downgrading textures.
iVXp6rdQADB0.png

iRoIVLRDJ8Y.png

iby3iq8ZIUYkyH.png

This is what hells looks like.

Bonus: The N64 Port.
iBKPTJxYic1Fh.png

Alboreo

Not PS1 era, but I was bored and inspired so I threw this Vesperia landscape together in a gameboy-esque palette.

uXv8GmZ.png

.Anema

Amazing thread.
The Uncharted 2 and God of War demakes are awesome, just in the mood of the original PS1 games *nostalgictears

I don't know if these count, but for a while I was working on 'demaking' the cast of FFXV for avatars.

scILaO1.png
pJdcQiW.png
GUGRj4n.png
jwpwLBT.png
FZtkQr2.png

I did a couple MGSV avatars too
xtevQtt.png
VogULOi.png

Whoa. I was impressed with the Noctis one when you were using it as your avatar, but this is the first time I've seen the whole set. Well done.

Top Bottom