• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Desert Online |OT| Come on in, the sand's fine [Mediah Update]

Tomeru

When the fuck will I be able to play dis game?! I'm in the ME, I've never been in this situation before in all of my 35 years.

Gin-Shiio

I saw the dopest black girl created character on Tumblr yesterday. I wish I could find it. I remember when the demo was out, it was a struggle trying to make my black girl look good.

tumblr_oi1iecM3rB1smrz3bo2_r3_400.gif

You are welcome.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
I'm tempted to get the 5€ version deal, but I kinda dropped the MMOS a few years ago, haven't found anything to keep me really interested since the good ol' days (UO, EQ, DAoC and the likes). Can this game reignite the flame GAF ?

Also read the bonuses granted by the different versions but can't tell if that's really worth it over the 5€ version ?

What's a good starter class?
They all look great.
I'm thinking valkyrie or sorceress

In the world now.
Getting about 70-80 fps max settings.
High end mode brings me down to 504ish so I turned that off.
The language barrier is apparent but the writing is coherent enough.
Combat is basic so far but I'm just a beginner.

Zexen

They all look great.

In the world now.
If anything to go by, I'd assume Valk shares similarities with Warrior, you will probably suffer until awakening. Also I heard her shield block is bugged or so.

RedFury

I'm tempted to get the 5€ version deal, but I kinda dropped the MMOS a few years ago, haven't found anything to keep me really interested since the good ol' days (UO, EQ, DAoC and the likes). Can this game reignite the flame GAF ?

Also read the bonuses granted by the different versions but can't tell if that's really worth it over the 5€ version ?
Well it's an MMO but I just play it like a DMC/Bayonneta with combos etc. I'm really just here for the combat system, and just dabble in the other stuff. It's definitely worth it 6 bucks to try out. Don't recommend getting the higher tiers though.

Zareka

I've been having problems with this all evening. Basically, I can load up the game and start creating my character, but after about 10-15 minutes it will completely disconnect me from my router. Nothing else is doing this and I've been able to play FFXIV perfectly well, along with general browsing.

Now it's time to sound stupid: after trying and failing to log in with the forums with the email attached to my account, I had to make a forum account using an alt email and I can't even find a box to post replies in certain topics, so here I am. Is there a fix for this constant disconnecting? There's a thread on their forums that seems to be about the same issue but there's no solution there. I'd like to be able to create my character without a time limit, at the very least.

Edit: Huh, it apparently patched itself and now I'm fine. Carry on.

Edit 2: Never mind, it's still killing my net. Christ sake. This is terrible.

Ferr986

This is a MMO based on the oldschool MMO template (pre WoW).

satori

They all look great.

In the world now.

Best starting class depends imo is a class that clears fast, has lots of AOE, and use little to no pots.

Witch/wizard, Sorc, Dark knights are fantastic choices.

Wizard/witch imo are the best starting class simply because how strong they are in all aspect of the game. 2 heals on demand, a way to regain all your MP, strong AOE, The lesser gear dependent of the 3. Is very strong in both unawakening and awaken form. And very easy to play.

Sorc: a lot more gear dependant but has the skillset to excel in both pvp and pve. Has innate life steals and ways to get mana back. A high skill cap class that is easy to play but harder to master.

DK: pretty much the same as Sorc, but not as hard to master. Mobility, spammable AOEs, One of the fastest clearer for me.

Edit: on another note....I am absolutely in love with the striker......My ranger is now my processor/cook ><. Also Sup GAF! Hows my fam doing?

Freeman76

Shit so I created a trial account a while back and never bought the game. The trial account uses the same email as my STEAM account. I just bought it on STEAM, am I fucked for creating an account now?

Ventara

Just saw this on Steam and thinking of jumping in. 2 Questions though.

1.) How casual friendly is this game? Let's say I can only play 1-3 hours a week. I'm already playing another MMO in addition to the regular games I play, so I can't afford another game that'll need 1-2 hours a day.

2.) How solo-friendly is this game? In addition to me being more a casual player, I do tend to lean towards singleplayer games, so I suspect I won't be able to do a lot of group activities (not sure what that entails, though).

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
Well it's an MMO but I just play it like a DMC/Bayonneta with combos etc. I'm really just here for the combat system, and just dabble in the other stuff. It's definitely worth it 6 bucks to try out. Don't recommend getting the higher tiers though.

I've been having problems with this all evening. Basically, I can load up the game and start creating my character, but after about 10-15 minutes it will completely disconnect me from my router. Nothing else is doing this and I've been able to play FFXIV perfectly well, along with general browsing.

Now it's time to sound stupid: after trying and failing to log in with the forums with the email attached to my account, I had to make a forum account using an alt email and I can't even find a box to post replies in certain topics, so here I am. Is there a fix for this constant disconnecting? There's a thread on their forums that seems to be about the same issue but there's no solution there. I'd like to be able to create my character without a time limit, at the very least.

Thanks, I got it for 5€. Not risking much at that price anyway. Played a bit of the tutorial with a striker, game moves and looks great already I like it a lot. The automove to any destination or NPC and whatnot is super useful too.

I might try ninja or the blade dude, looks pretty cool.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

1.) How casual friendly is this game? Let's say I can only play 1-3 hours a week. I'm already playing another MMO in addition to the regular games I play, so I can't afford another game that'll need 1-2 hours a day.

2.) How solo-friendly is this game? In addition to me being more a casual player, I do tend to lean towards singleplayer games, so I suspect I won't be able to do a lot of group activities (not sure what that entails, though).

If you ignore PVP, it can be as casual as you want it to be. It will take you months to come to tern with a fraction of the content at 1-3 hours a week. It would take a very long time to exhaust the gameplay.

And you can solo 95% of the game, all the way to "end game" content.

satori

1. This game is pretty open. It can be hardcore as you make it, or as casual as you make it. I actually recently due to family issues had to cut back major hours and switch to more of a casual playing and still plenty of things to do. A lot of quest, plenty of life stuff like crafting, farming, trading, afk and semi-afk activities.

2. This game is really solo friendly. Nothing really requires a group save for just a few things. All the the quests are pretty much soloable. And many opt to grind solo. You can work on doing knowledge active to increase your energy. You can work on quest to increase your con points. You can do life skill stuff. All of which can be done solo.

Group in this game is more about efficiency rather than necessity. When grouped and grinding mobs you have the option of sending all the drops directly to the market making it so you can grind longer with out having to stop due to weight issues. You kill groups of mob faster which = more exp etc. The only other reason you need to group if you plan to do awakened summon scrolls but even then you can choose the scrolls that does not require a group.

My biggest advice is to take your time with the game. Take time to do the quest, follow the black spirit quest lines, work on life skills like gathering, processing, crafting, etc.

Ventara

If you ignore PVP, it can be as casual as you want it to be. It will take you months to come to tern with a fraction of the content at 1-3 hours a week. It would take a very long time to exhaust the gameplay.

And you can solo 95% of the game, all the way to "end game" content.

1. This game is pretty open. It can be hardcore as you make it, or as casual as you make it. I actually recently due to family issues had to cut back major hours and switch to more of a casual playing and still plenty of things to do. A lot of quest, plenty of life stuff like crafting, farming, trading, afk and semi-afk activities.

2. This game is really solo friendly. Nothing really requires a group save for just a few things. All the the quests are pretty much soloable. And many opt to grind solo. You can work on doing knowledge active to increase your energy. You can work on quest to increase your con points. You can do life skill stuff. All of which can be done solo.

Group in this game is more about efficiency rather than necessity. When grouped and grinding mobs you have the option of sending all the drops directly to the market making it so you can grind longer with out having to stop due to weight issues. You kill groups of mob faster which = more exp etc. The only other reason you need to group if you plan to do awakened summon scrolls but even then you can choose the scrolls that does not require a group.

My biggest advice is to take your time with the game. Take time to do the quest, follow the black spirit quest lines, work on life skills like gathering, processing, crafting, etc.

Alright, thanks guys. You sold me on it. Will jump in this weekend.

Sarcasm

How do you do the life skills? O am lvl 13 and still dunno what the heck I am doing..even skill wise is confusing as heck. Doesn't help the UI is a mess lol. I am enjoying myself though.

You can't get every skill right? But you can reset them?

Is there a very good guide I can read as I am about to head on a trip? I just ran into an dialogue option about being a merchant...

Mephala

How do you do the life skills? O am lvl 13 and still dunno what the heck I am doing..even skill wise is confusing as heck. Doesn't help the UI is a mess lol. I am enjoying myself though.

Is there a very good guide I can read as I am about to head on a trip? I just ran into an dialogue option about being a merchant...

You can take up every life skill on a single character or take up every life skill on every character you have. The skill levels are per character though.

Here is a guide list. Pick the ones that interest you. There is a lot to take in.
http://dulfy.net/2016/08/05/black-desert-master-guide-list/

A lot of us make an alt for life skills such as processing and cooking. These generally require you to stay near the city you have setup housing and storage for your supplies to do the work.

Farming is another one. This kind of needs you to return to your farm periodically to harvest, water, prune etc. So having an alt camp there isn't bad.

It is nice to have more than 1 character able to gather decently because gathering uses Energy. At higher ranks of gathering you get more items per action.

For class skills it costs you energy to change by yourself or you can do it via a skill instructor. Not all combat skills are worth taking but it is fun to experiment. If you struggle, consult a guide. PvE and PvP skills tend to differ a little bit.

satori

When I first played I too thought the same. Coming from most MMO where you can get 1 or 2 craft. But in BDO there are no such restrictions. The thing that gates you now is con points, and to a certain extent energy (this use to be the biggest gate but some QoL changes made it not much of a factor anymore)

But you are free to do what you want as long as you have the con points to collect nodes, get workers etc. I highly suggest doing quest to increase your con points which is very important to set up a network to connect nodes and send workers to work/collect said nodes. This will earn you resources to do such thing and cook beer which replenish workers stam, set up a crating operation to crate timber to trade to another city, etc.

Here is a decent guide for Nodes and Workers

But to answer your question you are free to do it all. Fishing (amazing afk for things like ancient relics which are a main source for end game resources in black stones and memory frags), Horse training and breeding, Cooking, Alchemy, Processing raw materials, just to name a few.

Yes it can be overwhelming but, get enough Con points and you can try them all. My other suggestion is make as many alts as possible. Each alt will have their own pool of energy. So if you go gather meat on one char til its out of energy, you can hop on another using that char energy.

anothertech

For all those asking about starter class, I've found the striker and dark knight easiest so far as starter classes. Great AOE and sustain abilities for both, with dark knight a bit squishier and striker more tanky.

For new comers, play this game like you would play mine craft. Pick something you want to do, leveling, crafting, exploring, upgrading gear, what not, and focus on it. That will make it fun. There's really so much to do in this game it can get overwhelming if you try to do it all in one play session.

This is a game that each different activity you can actually do a lot of research online to help hone your skills. If you want to go hardcore and figure it all out on your own, that's also fun but again, focus on one thing at a time and keep at it till you figure it out.

Gin-Shiio

How does one whisper? This is seriously my first MMO and like I said I don't even play it like one.

Press Enter to open the chat bar, then click on the little icon indicating your current speech channel. In the case of whisper, a little block will be added on the right, where you enter the recipients family name.

The ui is killing me, is there any mods for it?

I don't know about mods, but there is a lot you can do to make it more bearable. For starters, be sure to go to ESC -> EDIT UI and disable all UI elements you find unpleasant by clicking on the little eye on the respective element. Secondly, you probably don't care about notifications telling you about whales that show up or people enchanting the hell out of their goodies, all of which can be disabled through ESC -> Settings -> Game -> Turn off system notifications (but check out all other options too for good measure).

so if my top priority is unlocking my Awakening for the striker class should I just be focusing on doing the Quest for the Black Spirit?

The only requirement for getting your awakening is being level 56, however Striker's awakening isn't available outside of KR yet.

Aw, balls.

Well, here's my situation, maybe you guys can help me out.

My Striker is level 45. I have around 60 million silver, 50 armor/weapon stones, and no idea what the fuck I'm doing. I'd say my "goal" right now is to maximize my gear for end-game PvP. So my question is:

-Should I be focusing on grinding to a certain level, or try to gear up now?

-What's the best way to use my stones?

-AHHH HELP WHAT AM I DOING

Inventory snapshot so you know what I'm working with:

7e1c3db1412232aab46eba363d3faa34.png

Kard8p3

The only requirement for getting your awakening is being level 56, however Striker's awakening isn't available outside of KR yet.

This is gonna sound dumb but what is KR?

edit: Also I tried to whisper you, Gin but it says you're offline, let me know when you'll be on sometime!

Gin-Shiio

This is gonna sound dumb but what is KR?

edit: Also I tried to whisper you, Gin but it says you're offline, let me know when you'll be on sometime!

The moment I relog to claim my girlfriend's exp boost! What's your family name? I will whisper you instead.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Aw, balls.

Don't think about gearing up until you hit 55. For classes that have Awakened, 56.

Keep stones for upgrading. You will always want and need more stones. Save early, save often.

Keep the following in a bank for safe keeping:

-GM Blessings - all of them, there are 3 types that you have, store all of them
(at this early stage you wont be able to fully appreciate the benefits of using them, and will kick yourself later if you wate them now)

- Hard and Sharp Stones
(These are a pain in the ass to get and very expensive. They are essential for upgrading gear past +15, You will need these for upgrading your gear. Essential.

- Concentrated Stones
(Same as Hard/Sharps - essential for later upgrading. Hard to acquire in large numbers. Store the shit out any you get.)

- Memory fragments
(These are used to restore durability on weapons and armor, but store these right now and DO NOT USE. These are expensive as hell and later when you obtain Best in Slot items, they are the only way to repair durability when upgrading end game gear.)

- Cron Stones
(These cost a million silver to buy from an NPC. They can be used when upgrading items past +15, they stop items from potentially downgrading when you attempt an upgrade. Definitely worth keeping all of these you come across.)

Sell

- Ancient Relic Fragments
(You can merge 5 of these for a single boss scroll that folks use to farm memory fragments in group parties. I think they are a waste of time and effort and not worth it. You can sell this on the market for minimum price and make a lot of easy money instantly. It's what I always do.)

- Ancient Coins
(Shitty trade items, just sell them to a Trade Manager. You wont get full value, but it's pennies anyways. No loss. The effort required to get full value isn't worth it. Sell all these crap coins you have.)

- Seals
(Dump any seals you have bar the Striker ones. The older ones are useless, but the new Striker ones are from an ongoing event and you can trade them in to get black stones.)

- Weeds
(Just dump these)

- Silver Keys
(You will never use them. Sell them on the market. Minimum price.)

- Unopened Storm Gear Box / Spellbound Items
(Open and either use or sell the horse items. If it's spellbound items, either keep if you bother with lifeskills or sell on Market - axes sell for max instantly)

Don't think about gearing up until you hit 55. For classes that have Awakened, 56.

Keep stones for upgrading. You will always want and need more stones. Save early, save often.

Keep the following in a bank for safe keeping:

-GM Blessings - all of them, there are 3 types that you have, store all of them
(at this early stage you wont be able to fully appreciate the benefits of using them, and will kick yourself later if you wate them now)

- Hard and Sharp Stones
(These are a pain in the ass to get and very expensive. They are essential for upgrading gear past +15, You will need these for upgrading your gear. Essential.

- Concentrated Stones
(Same as Hard/Sharps - essential for later upgrading. Hard to acquire in large numbers. Store the shit out any you get.)

- Memory fragments
(These are used to restore durability on weapons and armor, but store these right now and DO NOT USE. These are expensive as hell and later when you obtain Best in Slot items, they are the only way to repair durability when upgrading end game gear.)

- Cron Stones
(These cost a million silver to buy from an NPC. They can be used when upgrading items past +15, they stop items from potentially downgrading when you attempt an upgrade. Definitely worth keeping all of these you come across.)

Sell

- Ancient Relic Fragments
(You can merge 5 of these for a single boss scroll that folks use to farm memory fragments in group parties. I think they are a waste of time and effort and not worth it. You can sell this on the market for minimum price and make a lot of easy money instantly. It's what I always do.)

- Ancient Coins
(Shitty trade items, just sell them to a Trade Manager. You wont get full value, but it's pennies anyways. No loss. The effort required to get full value isn't worth it. Sell all these crap coins you have.)

- Seals
(Dump any seals you have bar the Striker ones. The older ones are useless, but the new Striker ones are from an ongoing event and you can trade them in to get black stones.)

- Weeds
(Just dump these)

- Silver Keys
(You will never use them. Sell them on the market. Minimum price.)

- Unopened Storm Gear Box / Spellbound Items
(Open and either use or sell the horse items. If it's spellbound items, either keep if you bother with lifeskills or sell on Market - axes sell for max instantly)

Thanks man! So I'll focus on getting to 56 for now. From there, are there any good guides for gearing Striker up yet? Or how the gear system works? All I know is I have a +9 weapon that might break if I upgrade it more. I dunno how to avoid that.

Ventara

I'm about to start the game. Should I select Striker as my class? I keep reading about how fun it is. Or would it be a bad pick for a beginner who planning to play casually?

Well if anyone needs help, look up family name Wyndvale.

I'll help if I'm online. I play pretty casual so I'm not as decked out as many others in the game is but at least I can get people going.

Top Bottom