• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Playgrounds |OT| More entertaining & less predicable than the NBA play-offs!

M.W.

I'd only buy this on the Switch, so bring on the Switch impressions people. So far, doesn't sound great.

Don't blame the devs if the hardware doesn't allow it to happen easily. Hopefully they work on the post launch and it gets to 720p60 in docked mode.

Nintendo know this thing inside out, Saber don't, this was probably a rushed release from them and this is the best they could do with time. As said, hopefully it gets a post launch patch to 720p.

If they delayed the launch to get it to what you want, then there's the potential for a lot of lost sales and the extra time and money spent wouldn't be worth it. On the otherwise, negative reception at launch due to poor technical performance could also have the same effect :/

Is there a precedent for these type of resolution boosts in patches? Thinking of Bomberman R they actually dropped the resolution to boost fps lol. I would love that to happen though.

I totally understand but you shouldn't really compare a game internally developed by those with the most knowledge of the hardware, to a multiplatform version of a game by an indie dev. I have to assume that even with the missing effects (depth of field, improper shadows, etc.) the game still wasn't stable enough to run at 60fps undocked. I could, of course, be totally off base.

Yeah it makes perfect sense that Nintendo has a better handle on the hardware than 3rd party devs with a short time to make a game. But at the same time, as a consumer I don't really care what the reasons are. In the end if I compare it to other games on the Switch it doesn't seem up to par for me personally.

I understand sub native while docked depending on the game. But sub 720p just doesn't cut it in 2017. I made the exception with Snake Pass since I wanted it on the go, but it looks pretty rough in portable mode.

I think BoTW does, but it's not a very good example imo because that game is on a higher level technically

Nah, it's 720p undocked. 900p docked.

fernoca

I think BoTW does, but it's not a very good example imo because that game is on a higher level technically
Zelda is 720p undocked and 900p docked.

EDIT:
But on topic...

DOWNLOADING NOW!
Should be in under 2 hours, since my internet is like 6GB per hour.

jonno394

Is there a precedent for these type of resolution boosts in patches? Thinking of Bomberman R they actually dropped the resolution to boost fps lol. I would love that to happen though.

Not on switch. If it really was a case of not enough time to optimise then it could happen. Could just be ue4 doesn't play nice with undocked mode limitations.

Edit - zelda subnative (at times) confirmation

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...h-of-the-wild-uses-dynamic-resolution-scaling

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Please give your impressions if you've bought the game, especially regarding the gameplay and how it runs on the Switch.

How do you block? I don't understand this.
Also, stealing doesn't work most of the time.

edit: ooh you get new moves by leveling up. That's nice.

Game is fun as hell, it just doesn't explain anything.

Not on switch. If it really was a case of not enough time to optimise then it could happen. Could just be ue4 doesn't play nice with undocked mode limitations.

Edit - zelda subnative (at times) confirmation

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...h-of-the-wild-uses-dynamic-resolution-scaling

It really doesn't matter if zelda dips (at times). Overall, it's not blurry and unattractive to look at. If people don't mind the resolution, then fine, but there's no need to try and justify it.

Sargon

The Switch load times sound awful, and the gameplay doesn't exactly sound great either. I was excited about this game, but I may pass for now.

jonno394

It really doesn't matter if zelda dips (at times). Overall, it's not blurry and unattractive to look at. If people don't mind the resolution, then fine, but there's no need to try and justify it.

I was just sourcing the claim, I'm not commenting whether it's good bad etc ;)

Richie

looks like all reviews have been streaming in all morning, but Meta isn't updated yet. Most are coming in around a 7-8/10.

Nintendo World Report:
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/44597/nba-playgrounds-switch-review-in-progress

This review really makes one think the Switch version was a last minute greenlight and thus far from receiving the best optimization. Reviews that tried other versions sound notoriously more positive than this one (while still not declaring the game a masterpiece but fun enough), so yeah. Can only hope Saber patches up some polish there.

EDIT: Heavy also reviewed the Switch version and they do sound more in line with the other reviewers.

Umbooki

If anyone unlocks Kawhi or Steph tell me how they are please.
From my time with the demo, Kawhi was awesome defensively and his offense was good enough to allow an inexperienced player to reliably put up points. It helps that his spot-up jumper felt smooth (or as smooth as a jumper can be in this game).

bumpkin

As much as i want this game. the 'next basket counts as 12 points' power-up makes me not want to play it.
I hope they give an option to play non-power-up games in a future update (if it's not an option currently). I'm downloading the game right now on Switch.

From my time with the demo, Kawhi was awesome defensively and his offense was good enough to allow an inexperienced player to reliably put up points. It helps that his spot-up jumper felt smooth (or as smooth as a jumper can be in this game).
Nice! Thanks!

It plays well on Switch. The biggest issue with the Switch version is the sub-native resolution while undocked. I'm waiting on the online to be patched in before cementing any firm opinion on the game.
Thanks. Any tips for shooting? I keep hearing mixed reports on it.

Someone claiming to be on the development team made some comments ACG review.

Fair review - we are working to get the other features in. They will be done very soon. We just couldn't get them certified by the platform holders in time and if we delayed release we would be pushing to the end of the basketball season and then be put up against 2K in the fall - not the best option for a new game...

It isn't easy to put your product out into the wild and have it commented on but that is part of the process. We are definitely going to do everything we can to address the shortcomings of the game in terms of online features and to add more cool stuff as soon as possible. I would have loved nothing more than to have all the features we could have in this game on launch and we are definitely committed to getting them out. We will just need to continue to prove ourselves. Thanks again.

MJ isn't part of the retirement association and it is super expensive to get a few players to a licensing deal (including MJ). If the game sells well we will definitely find a way to make it happen. I agree of course that he would be awesome to have in game.

This seem like it was a rushed job and that's probably why the Switch version isn't up to par as optimization will take a bit of time and work.

NateDrake

IGN video review mentions it and the video shows a shot being worth 12 points when it goes in the net.......

The 'Star' increases the multiplier for the shot and it has to be hit from the star location. Playing against a human opponent you will guard that location to prevent such a shot being taken. As the video showed, the Star was worth 4x increase of the shot value. The Star could appear in the paint or anywhere on the court.

Thanks. Any tips for shooting? I keep hearing mixed reports on it.

Shooting 3s I found that I hit pretty much all the shots when counting in my head '1-2-*release*'.

Richie

Nate did the loading times bother you much? The NWR review claims they're almost indefensible, but the Heavy reviewer didn't seem too bothered by them.

f@luS

More than a member.
It plays great regardless of the resolution on switch. Can we deactivate the vibration ? Super annoying

NateDrake

Nate did the loading times bother you much? The NWR review claims they're almost indefensible, but the Heavy reviewer didn't seem too bothered by them.

From player selection to the start of the match the load times are around 38 seconds. Not great but not awful. The whistle and few second pause after scoring is more annoying, imo.

It plays great regardless of the resolution on switch. Can we deactivate the vibration ? Super annoying
Not in the game. You'd have to shut it off on a system level.

Switch port seems half baked so I think I'm just going to get it on Steam instead. If the Switch performance gets fixed, I'll consider double dipping...if the game ends up being good that is.

The 'Star' increases the multiplier for the shot and it has to be hit from the star location. Playing against a human opponent you will guard that location to prevent such a shot being taken. As the video showed, the Star was worth 4x increase of the shot value. The Star could appear in the paint or anywhere on the court.

Shooting 3s I found that I hit pretty much all the shots when counting in my head '1-2-*release*'.
Ah thanks again Nate.

nron10

Neo Member

I'm the NWR reviewer and after noticing how rough the loads were, I started timing them regularly. From tournament round selection to game start (goes from round select to team select to game), it was about a minute of loads every time. And the tournament matches themselves aren't even that long. Obviously what is indefensible for some is okay for others. The long loads really bugged me here.

Matticers

Downloading it now on the Switch. I would have gotten it on the PS4 but I figured this might be a fun game to have on the go if you're with some people who liked NBA Jam or NBA Street. The graphical issues don't bother me much as long as the game runs well and plays well which it seems to be mostly okay in those areas. And the whole not being able to play online thing for a few days doesn't bother me either since I just want to play solo at first and unlock characters and practice with the game.

But I'll be disappointed if we don't get patches soon that addresses the major missing players, overpowered steals, being able to play online against friends and things like that. They seem like pretty simple fixes so I'm certainly expecting it to happen. I just hope we aren't waiting forever for it. The game seems like it could be awesome if they continue to support it and work on it through the upcoming months.

ryushe

Think I'm going to pass for now. Wanna wait until they patch in the online as well as if they're going to nerf stealing.

If Minecraft wasn't coming out later this week however, I'd be all over this.

fernoca

Are the cards in the first 3 starter packs random or the same for everyone?
Because I wanted Blake Griffin and got him on the second pack!

RedFox85

Anyone commenting on Single Joycon play? I was curious how this ends up working without a second stick for crossovers.

Top Bottom