• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8-4 Play 5/26/2017: INGLORIOUS DASTARDS

TmsliKi.png

8-4 Play 5/26/2017: INGLORIOUS DASTARDS
Fire Emblem Echoes, Magikarp Jump, Shovel Knight, Phantom Dust, PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds, Xbox Game Pass, Destiny 2, plus a special chat about Fire Emblem with two of Nintendo Treehouse’s finest!

Running Time: 2:43:49
・ Direct Download (93.7MB)
・ Subscribe to 8-4 Play via iTunes
・ Subscribe to 8-4 Play via RSS Feed
・ Follow 8-4 Play on Twitter (twitter.com/84play)
・ Follow 8-4 on Facebook (facebook.com/hachinoyon)

Time – Topic Discussed:
14:06 – Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
19:05 – Shovel Knight
22:46 – Magikarp Jump
27:30 – Arkanoid vs Space Invaders
30:22 – Phantom Dust
36:15 – A 5th of BitSummit
44:00 – PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds
51:03 – Fire Emblem Localization
2:05:26 – Destiny 2
2:15:20 – Xbox Game Pass
2:18:57 – Far Cry 5, PS4 curators
2:20:35 – Nintendo at E3, Rabbids, Arms Direct, Splatoon 20
2:29:00 – Original Sonic Characters, Sega game service
2:35:20 – Closing Comments

mclem

So on a scale of 1 to G-Rank how miffed are those guys that they recorded this before the MHXX Switch reveal.

I'm amazed they've not enacted a policy of always recording it one day later :)

Biiig chunk on localisation, looking forward to that bit.

Only ten minutes on Destiny 2? Did someone choloform Mark, or something?

ryushe

Haven't been this anxious to listen to an 8-4 episode in a while.

I don't know if you guys will see this, but I now consider Echos' localization the bar. It's that damn good.

Apenheul

What I was hoping to see for this episode, looking forward to listening to this episode this evening!

Jintor

I don't know if you guys will see this, but I now consider Echos' localization the bar. It's that damn good.

Man wow even though I think I've finally accepted I don't actually like to play fire emblem very much you're kind of selling me

jaina

They will see this, and I'm sure appreciate the feedback.

I feel kinda bad that I'm playing both of their highly acclaimed recent projects... in Japanese. With Nier, at least, I might do a rush through the game in English on easy mode after I finish it, but that's not so much an option for Fire Emblem.

Anyway, looking forward to the episode, though I have virtually no commute time this week. Might have to just set aside time to listen to it.

spiritfox

Both Nier's and FE Echoes' localizations knocked it out of the park. It's a damn good year for 8-4 localizations.

Dyle

Is Sarah back yet? Everyone's favorite podcast about Japanese games and culture is genuinely in need of an update on Upper Midwestern games and culture.

Both Nier's and FE Echoes' localizations knocked it out of the park. It's a damn good year for 8-4 localizations.

That's good to hear, I might end up picking up FE Echoes then. The last 8-4 game I played was Xenoblade Chronicles X, so I guess it's about time to buy another one of their games.

Jhoan

In for the Bit Summit and localization chats. Will listen to it later. I hope Gaijin Hunter returns to talk about the latest Monster Hunter in a future episode because I always enjoy hearing his insights. I've never played the series but I've been curious about Generations but held off when XX was announced.

ryushe

Man wow even though I think I've finally accepted I don't actually like to play fire emblem very much you're kind of selling me
I mean, I also like the game a ton too, so there's that as well. But yeah, the script, voice work, the nuance, etc. are all just in another league. It's seriously that good.

I'm currently cycling through FE Echos and Persona 5 and the difference in each games localization efforts is night and day. Not to shit on P5 (I actually enjoy that game a lot), but its script is honestly flavorless and bland by comparison, which is ironic given that game is dripping style just about everywhere else.

What I was hoping to see for this episode, looking forward to listening to this episode this evening!

Incredible segment about my favorite series... although its kinda funny how they kinda dart around the fact that shadow dragon was kinda bad

Its a shame that the mystery of the emblem remake never made it over. It was really a great game in comparison

Thoraxes

Looking forward to that long Fire Emblem section. The writing is really on-point in Shadows of Valentia, and it just has a heck of a lot more flavor to it than Fates did, which is keeping me more engaged. When that "I'll cut off your traitorous tongue" line/sick burn played out in chapter 1, I knew I was in for a treat as that exchange stuck with me, haha.

And as someone who usually doesn't like English voice acting 90% of the time, I actually like the script/direction in Valentia a lot. There's a tooooon of VO in this game.

I'm glad they took the time to cover the game and talk about it a bunch.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Was just nodding my head completely in agreement to Jeremy's views on the Scorpio.

Also yeah you guys totally deserve your own curator tag on the psn store, someone should make it happen

NSESN

Hope 8-4 gets to do the future Zelda localizations
Nintendo would never do this. I think Echoes was only 8-4 because it is a remake. I expect FE Switch to be treehouse again. And BotW localization is great outside of the VA so I am not worried..

shingi70

Banned
That there is currently no real reason to be that excited for it. Total lack of Japanese support compared to their competitors and lack of exclusives, especially when you take into account the pc

I'd assume the value is in someone wanting the best looking game without jumping onto PCs. I'd consider their exclusives still exclusives even if they do run on windows 10.

I'm looking forward to Scorpio as someone who mainly games on an Xbox, but like the PS4 Pro I think Microsoft is going to have a hard time justifying and showing the difference.

I'd assume the value is in someone wanting the best looking game without jumping onto PCs. I'd consider their exclusives still exclusives even if they do run on windows 10.

I'm looking forward to Scorpio as someone who mainly games on an Xbox, but like the PS4 Pro I think Microsoft is going to have a hard time justifying and showing the difference.

I'm pretty sure in their context, it's about JAPAN.

The localization interview was fantastic, love hearing the history of some of the guys in the industry and all the overlooked details that go into the job, hope you have more of that to come in the future.

And I'm a little disappointed no one said E3 Hype Train at the end, if Mark was there I know he wouldn't have let me down.

killroy87

The shitty part of 8-4 working on the best games is I never get to hear them really talk about the best games, because they worked on them and have to be pretty impartial.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Looooved the localization talk. I actually wanted it to get much more in-depth! Hopefully some time in the near future the crew decides to put out a fully inside-baseball episode discussing the process of localization as much as they can :)

Razlo

Great episode. I liked the localization talk, but I like whenever development deep dives happen.

Next time we should get some ARMS and MHXX Switch talk, which will be rad.

Razlo

Never really thought of Fire Emblem as IntSys' take on western fantasy, although it definitely makes sense now that I think about it.

Yeah, that whole quote was the most interesting part of the episode. Liked hearing Intelligent Systems bad assumption about the West's wants.

Oregano

The Treehouse interview bit was fantastic. More of that kind of thing please!

Sad that Capcom announced MHXX Switch after they recorded.

As someone who was always interested in game localization but instead went the boring/safe route and landed in the financial/hedge fund industry, I thoroughly enjoy listening to this gang. I can live out my dreams vicariously through 8-4! Lol

Mista Koo

Just finished my first 8-4 game since I started listening to them. Didn't expect Justin to go by JJ professionally, is that a nerd trying to sound hip thing?

Top Bottom