• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vita Japanese Launch Thread. "APOCALYPTIC!" says concerned Nuclear Muffin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takao

Banned
0AQpf.png

(Click around to head to a different post in this OT)

n6mrg.png

PlayStation Vita Crystal Black Wi-Fi Model (PCH-1000 ZA01)
¥24,980 (tax included)
About 260g

Includes:
  • PlayStation Vita Wi-Fi Model x1
  • USB cable x1
  • AC adapter x1
  • Power cord x1
  • Instructions x1

PlayStation Vita Crystal Black 3G / Wi-Fi Model (PCH-1100 AA01 & PCH-1100 AB01)
¥29,980 (tax included)
About 279g

Includes:
  • PlayStation Vita 3G / Wi-Fi Model x1
  • USB cable x1
  • AC adapter x1
  • Power cord x1
  • Instructions x1
  • Sim card x1

Notes:
  • Docomo is the official Vita 3G partner.
  • For those looking to import, it is currently unknown if this unit will be compatible with foreign networks.
  • This unit includes full GPS functionality, where as Wi-Fi only features a less accurate roaming solution.
  • Allows you to access internet, social media, exclusive features in games, and PSN downloads anywhere.
  • Downloads are capped at 20MB initially.
  • First 500, 000 units (model number PCH-1100 AA01) will include 100 hours of service for free.
  • All units after (model number PCH-1100 AB01) will include 20 hours of service for free.
  • Vita is compatible with various Docomo data plans. Those highlighted include:
    • Pre-paid: ¥980 for 20 hours at 128Kbps/64Kbps transfer.
    • Pre-paid: ¥4,980 for 100 hours, with 3 bonus hours at 14 Mbps download and 5.7 Mbps
      upload.
    • Monthly: ¥5,460 for unlimited service at 14 Mbps download and 5.7 Mbps
      upload.

Takao

Banned

pDISh.png

Here we take a look at Vita's included software. From the user interface, to the video app. Please note, this is a heavily truncated summary of the features in the unit. I suggest checking out the previously mentioned UI/OS thread.

c0xBE.png

SI1hn.jpg

This is the home screen. Vita uses a new interface rather than XMB to adapt to Vita's touch screen. Games, and applications are stored in little bubbles. The entire skin can be customized with your own pictures and such.

9Vu2Km.png

This is Vita's secondary menu. This menu shows up when you have multiple applications running in the background. This bookshelf view allows you to easily cycle through software options.

v1bkA.png

Welcome Park is Vita's introductory software. It allows the user to get a feel of the Vita's capabilities through a variety of mini-games that force the user to use both touch panels, cameras, the gyro sensor, the microphone, and more. For all those trophy whores out there, yes, this includes trophies.

MPypU.jpg
TbEwz.jpg

F9Wn4.png

9gM8O.png

So what's Live Area? Live Area is the software that opens up once you click on a game in the home menu. Live Area will be your home to view the latest content applicable to this game available for purchase on the PlayStation Store, check out leader boards between your friends and the world, be notified of online tournaments, and even try out some augmented reality trophy modes. Live Area is only limited by the scope the developer wants to give it.

v7zIa.png

ehWuD.png

This might be shocking, but with this application you view images. Okay, at launch Vita's photo viewer supports JPEG (Exif 2.2.1), TIFF, BMP, GIF, and PNG. This means you'll be able to view any photo taken with your 2 built-in Vita cameras, screen shots from all your favourite games (as Vita has universal screenshot functionality built in the OS), and you can even shove your favourite cat images from the internet on this.

FPt6W.png

PS3 jelly and I know it. This is Vita's music player. It supports MP3 MPEG-1/2 Audio Layer 3, MP4 (MPEG-4 AAC), WAVE (Linear PCM) files at launch. Best of all? Vita's music player supports universal custom soundtracks that can be played in games, while surfing the web, and more.

M24LF.png

ZLi4E.png

hpiop.png

Bow down to your glorious OLED leader. This video player supports MPEG-4 Simple Profile (AAC), H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High/Main/Baseline Profile (AAC) file types.

2cGX7.png

euOsi.jpg
WbAEs.jpg

Transfer files from your Vita to your PC, and PS3 with this application. It's notable that almost all of the work with this will be done on the Vita, with minimal work being done on the PC or PS3. Please note, the software for computers at Japanese launch will not support Mac operating systems.

KHfxE.png

In this portion of the thread (which if you're still reading by now, thank you) we'll be discussing Vita's network functionality.

pGZpG.png

Basically, PS3 am cry. Party is Vita's innovative communication application that allows users to talk either via text, or voice not only during online gaming, but also when you are playing different games offline or using different applications such as the Internet browser. Users who are chatting together can also seamlessly join an online game to play together, while a bookmarking feature enables you to easily reconnect with your favourite groups. The official number is up to 8 people in a party.

spVSM.png

hmTBi.png

This is the Vita's web browser. It browses the web. Given it has a touch screen, it should be the best one Sony's made so far. You're limited to 8 tabs running simultaneously on the browser. Please note; neither flash, nor in-game web-browsing will be supported at Japanese launch.

AObWy.jpg

toxMf.png

This is the PlayStation Store on PlayStation Vita. Access, and purchase (region-pending) Game Archive titles (Note: Not playable at Japanese launch), PSP legacy titles, Minis, movies, every single Vita retail game and more! Grace Chen would be proud!

F1ilq.jpg

v8ebR.png

Near is a core PS Vita feature composed of location based services that utilize PlayStation Network. Developed specifically for PS Vita, Near will be pre-installed on the system to let you find out what other PS Vita users in the area are playing right now or what they were playing recently, as well as what titles are the most popular in the area. What's cool is that thanks to the PlayStation Store having every title available, you can hop into the store, purchase the local favourite (data plan pending), and join in on the fun! You can meet friends and new players virtually, regardless of what games they are playing, simply by sharing your game information across PlayStation Network.

Near also enables location based gaming features such as Gifting, where you can access virtual game-related items that others are sharing through checking in at geographic locations that others have also visited. The virtual items can include content unlocked from games, such as character costumes, weapons and treasures.

Unlike StreetPass, a Vita user does not necessarily have to pass by another fellow Vita owner to have a shot at getting a gift. The gift distributor goes about their daily routine in real life then syncs their Vita with a Near server to record where they have been. Should another Vita user pass through the same locations the distributor has visited, they can get gifts when their Vita syncs with a Near server. You'll receive a gift for every location the distributor passed through.

You can enjoy Near using Wi-Fi, but to get the most out of Near, a 3G connection is preferable. You will be able to obtain more information and encounter new players in real time by using a 3G connection + GPS.

6E22u.jpg

sT4K0.png

heYTK.jpg

In your profile you can share information about yourself. Choose an avatar that represents you best, add your friends and let the world see your gaming and trophy stats. Your Friends List will allow you to search for and add new friends, and accept requests sent to you. Click on a friend's profile to see what game they are playing on either PS Vita or PlayStation 3. You can join their game, take a look at what you've played together recently or compare your trophy collections.

lk9Ns.png

Compare trophies with all your latest friends with this part of the Vita software. Check out what you've collected on the road, and at home.

qzyyn.png

kPBeI.png

kkZvu.png

Talk to up to 16 of your PSN friends, and even those who aren't your friends with this. Using this part of the Vita will allow you to share photos, and other things.

Takao

Banned

LYIIa.png

In this section of the OP, we'll be discussing the relationship between the PlayStation Vita and the PlayStation Portable.

aUGgV.png

PlayStation Vita running PSP software can face off in multiplayer battles! You can also transfer save data from PSP to Vita, and continue on your journey!

YJ3Nm.png

PlayStation Vita is fully backwards compatible with almost all PlayStation Portable titles released on the PlayStation Network. Sadly, as the device does not have a UMD drive, those titles that are UMD only will not be supported. For those who've purchased PSP titles on PSN previously, you can migrate all of your content onto the new device.

RvAGE.jpg

Hmm, but Vita has an extra analog stick. What can that be used for? Good question, thanks to the Vita's backwards compatibility you can re-map buttons, and games fully patched can use the right analog stick like it was always there! Not only that, PSP games played on Vita will be subject to bilinear filtering and will look better than ever before!

rfu9x.png

FkwNw.jpg

Hmm, but you own a lot of UMD games. What are you going to do? Well, for a fee you can transfer each of those UMDs into a PSN copy with the UMD Passport Program. Please note, not every PSP game was released on PlayStation Store, and not every PSP game on the PlayStation Store will be in the UMD Passport Program. Please check here for a full list of participating titles.

Kuran

Banned
Yay! So close!

The future / or death, of true handheld gaming. Whatever happens, this hardware will be worth the cost of admission and will carve a unique niche in the landscape. It'll be an interesting journey.

The OT of making me so jelly I could cry...

I want my VITA NOW!!!
but I'm too cheap to import :(

The hype around this launch reminds me of the Super Famicom launch, only we had to wait 9 months for the SNES to arrive here! All those great pics in the gaming magazines of the hardware and Super Mario World and all we could do was want and wait...

krae_man

I can wait till Feb. I'll probably import a screen protector that way I can slap that baby on the second I take my first edition out of the box.

Gotta keep up with the Jones.
and by Jones I mean Blue Submarine No. 6

Takao

Banned

T5zS1.png

Despite what popular troll opinion may tell you, PlayStation Vita has games. This section of the OP will discuss all the software you can get day 1. Click on each piece of cover art to head to the official website of the game. All games are region-free.

0fOoM.png

These games will be available via Game Card, and digital download on the PlayStation Store on day 1. All prices listed are MSRP, chains may be offering lower prices.

OMOUS.png

There titles are only available for download on the PlayStation Store.

vercity82

So who's importing I shall get my wifi vita on the 21st with ultimate marvel vs capcom 3,dynast warriors next,blazblue,power smash 4 and ridge racer :)

tzare

can't wait to read/watch/listen about early adopters experiences, that may help to make the 2 month wait 'shorter'-
Oh and i hope the system doesn't get a zombie game ever /sarcasm

Yay! So close!

The future / or death, of true handheld gaming. Whatever happens, this hardware will be worth the cost of admission and will carve a unique niche in the landscape. It'll be an interesting journey.

This is some serious hyperbole here.

If you think the Vita is the last bastion of hope for handheld gaming, then I have some bad news for you...

On-topic: I looked forward to the 8-4 Play podcast about the launch.

Takao

Banned

93WD0.png

Here we take a look at all of the official Sony release accessories for the PlayStation Vita. Click on each image item to be sent to a product description.

mxURQ.png

These proprietary memory cards are basically a requirement for Vita. As the unit doesn't come with onboard memory, you'll need it to save any music, videos, etc. to the device. Worse off, for 5 of the Japanese launch games, if you don't have a Memory Card installed, you can't start the game! Prices range from ¥2200 for 4GB of data, to ¥9,500 for 32GB.

fGPE4.png

Here's a bunch of Vita cases retailing from ¥1800 all the way up to ¥4000.

LNOYV.png

These are a variety of non-required Vita accessories, from game cases, portable charger, to ear buds. Starting at ¥600, and continuing up to ¥2800.

Launch Japanese wifi system with Minna no Golf 6 and an 8GB memory stick is the plan :) Gonna pick up Uncharted and Katamari HK versions the week after as well.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
When I've seen the title, instantly I thought "Oh you, Takao!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom