• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo gets Monolith Soft from Bandai-Namco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xisiqomelir

Shard said:
No, actual question, was Bungie actually bought out in a hostile manner, and I mean that actual definition of the term, not pithy upset fanboys.

Let me see what I can dig up for you, I do know that the open-sourcing of Marathon just before takeover was to stop MS from profiting off the IP.

Jonnyram

DarknessTear said:
Yeah yeah talk all the trash you want but XS3 is still one of the most amazing RPGs ever and nothing has topped it or gotten close to it for a while.
10 page thread incoming. Kutaragi am cry.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Ark-AMN said:
Heh, sorry, I wouldn't be the pool boy if I didn't do my daily SK defense. Anyway, SK pretty much wanted to go from Nintendo since Too Human really don't fit with what Nintendo's doing with the Wii, and they for sure wanted the big budget that MS provides to make their vision come true. Besides, SK still has tons of talent.

Left Field and Rare on the other hand... :D

Yes and Too Human has proven itself to be a real windfall for Microsoft.

soco

before you get too excited using BK as a reference, this is what 1up said about the effort in their preview:

Though Monolith Soft is the name most readily attached to the project, Baten Kaitos is actually a joint effort between two developers. Monolith Soft is taking the lead, but direction, programming, sound, and battle planning are handled by Tri-Crescendo, a comparatively new company founded by Motoi Sakuraba, formerly famous as the composer for many of tri-Ace's games (Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile, and others). Tri-Crescendo's Hiroya Hatsushiba is co-director, with Sakuraba composing the soundtrack, and this is the first time his company has taken charge of an area outside sound design. The game also shares some key staff in common with the PSX classic Chrono Cross, including art director Yasuyuki Honne and scenario designer Masato Kato

which makes me wonder how what Monolith contributed to the effort.

anyway, i imagine that with a little help from Miyamoto, they'll churn out some decent stuff.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Ark-AMN said:
Heh, sorry, I wouldn't be the pool boy if I didn't do my daily SK defense. Anyway, SK pretty much wanted to go from Nintendo since Too Human really don't fit with what Nintendo's doing with the Wii, and they for sure wanted the big budget that MS provides to make their vision come true. Besides, SK still has tons of talent.

Left Field and Rare on the other hand... :D
When it bombs will miyamoto hang dyack's resignation letter on his wall by his desk?
davepoobond said:
Kuju Entertainment? or another kuju?
The dudes that made battalion wars.

Maztorre

With this and now Cellius, maybe Scamco will be profitable enough from selling staff and IP that they'll stop inflicting their "next-gen" games on an undeserving world.

Joe Molotov

omg rite said:
I like how people are pointing out LOL XENOSAGA SUCKED, yet ignore the good Baten Kaitos games and Xenosaga 3 which was actually good.

They're just mad that Xenosaga 3 kicked Persona 3's ass.

duckroll

soco said:
before you get too excited using BK as a reference, this is what 1up said about the effort in their preview:

anyway, i imagine that with a little help from Miyamoto, they'll churn out some decent stuff.

We've been over this. Monolithsoft's staff were the art direction staff. They handled the scenario, the art and the art direction. Tri-Crescendo contributed the game design, the programming and the music and sound elements.

Akai

Ninty wouldn't purchase a company unless they were completely satisfied with the merchandise...That said, I'm getting pretty excited about Disaster now...

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
soco said:

Once again, it worked for Retro Studios.

ivysaur12

Banned
soco said:

We all know that. Monolith did write BKO and do its graphics, which were fantastic. Yes, tri-Crescendo will be needed to fill the void if BK3 is made. But I doubt that will be a problem.

EDIT: And even if tri-Crescendo *shudders* doesn't do BK3, and the game looks likely now, Monolith can make a pretty good RPG (see: Xeno3)

Smiles and Cries said:
OT where does DO NOT WANT come from?

do_not_want_star_wars.jpg

Link

The Autumn Wind
This is also a good opportunity for Nintendo to have more "mature" first party games, which is always a complaint.

soco said:

I've always maintained that BK's brilliance was tri-crescendo's doing... Let's just hope this buyout ensures that t-c's involvement continues.

Oh and they need to axe the Xenocrapa team. kthxbye.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
WAIT

someone said BUY NIBRIS

of SADNESS FAME?

BWAHAHUAHWAUHWUAHWUAHWA
I'm pretty sure Nibris is just an Eliza progam with a game-related vocabulary, for interviews and the like. No one actually works there.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Dragona Akehi said:
I've always maintained that BK's brilliance was tri-crescendo's doing... Let's just hope this buyout ensures that t-c's involvement continues.

Xenocrapa :lol :lol :lol

OnWarmerMusic said:
I'm pretty sure Nibris is just an Eliza progam with a game-related vocabulary, for interviews and the like. No one actually works there.

Everyone has darkness....

which leads to....

SADNESSSSSS

AntMurda

anyway, i imagine that with a little help from Miyamoto, they'll churn out some decent stuff

We've gotten to a point where we are pre-acknowledging Miyamoto for good games he may never be in a mile radius of.

Dragona Akehi said:

hmmm I wonder now, who changed the thread title to Scamco? :lol

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Somewhat not surprised about this for some reason. If they're going to take on Japan then you'll need some sort of RPG arm within the development circle - I don't consider Intelligent Systems to be part of this because they haven't created a "traditional" RPG ever.. as much as I would love to see them do it.

I would've preferred a Camelot deal but I'm pretty sure they got sick of having to pump out Mario sports titles.

I'm guessing Monolith is there to pick up the portable Mario Golf and Tennis titles that Camelot left behind, but I'm still left wondering who will do the console versions.

Tiktaalik

Holy shit Nintendo actually spent money on something?!!!!!! Incredible.

I wonder if this means that Nintendo sees a whole lot of potential in Disaster. Hmmmm...

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
That is pretty cool, Nintendo could whip them into shape and turn them into an RPG powerhouse. I mean that is one genre that Nintendo really needs. They need a division that does good RPG's.

(this will get picked on so much :lol )

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
AndoCalrissian said:
I guess Nintendo really likes the way Disaster: Day of Crisis is coming along.
Iwata: Budget mini-levels? $ :D $ With "good" art that I can tell the gamers is for them? *buys company*

Link

The Autumn Wind
SolidSnakex said:
I'm surprised they haven't tried to get Mikami to come away from Capcom and bring a few members. That guy seemed like he's itching to be part of Nintendo.
P90 said:
I agree. Mikami would be a good fit and fill a void in Nintendo's arsenal.
Do we know what's up with Seeds yet?

Thoren

Banned
Monolith Soft has been working on Disaster: Day of Crisis for some time now..

I dont see why people dislike Monolith, I love their RPGs. At least Baten Kaitos.

God that game was great.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Everyone has darkness....

which leads to....

SADNESSSSSS
It was just too awesome for this world, that's why it's never coming. We couldn't handle the darkness, and the sadness... and the, uh, wolfness.

Hcoregamer00 said:
That is pretty cool, Nintendo could whip them into shape and turn them into an RPG powerhouse. I mean that is one genre that Nintendo really needs. They need a division that does good RPG's.

(this will get picked on so much :lol )

I WILL CUT YOU

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I hear that, in retaliation, Sony is going to be purchasing Ubisoft Shanghai and Microsoft has just announced plans to add TOSE to their repertoire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom