• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what would you like to see in Metroid Prime 4?

DKPOWPOW

After playing Doom and Samus Returns recently, I thought about the idea of the melee finishers and the counter. I feel like the counter might be a bit hard to do in first person, but melee finishers would be quite sweet.

After Prime 3, the lack of IR aiming is a bit worrisome. But I think lock-on + gryo aiming would be a solid replacement. I really liked the use of the nunchuck for the grapple. I think they could expand on the idea and have it so it can latch onto enemies and you can throw them around and into each other.

I'd love to see the echo visor come back, it had a really cool aesthetic and you can come up with all sorts of cool puzzles using it.

So, GAF... Any ideas?

I honesty don't expect much from this game. What I want is a BotW-esque re-imagining of the franchise. What I expect, though, is an uninpired Prime-sequel that offers nothing new.

We'll see, I guess.

For it to be more along the lines of Retro's work and not NST's and Next Level's. Absolutely no multiplayer. Yamamoto as composer is a must. IR aiming is a must as well. Level and world design like Prime 1, where you weave in and out and back and fourth througout the different areas, though ditch the generic fire, ice, water, sand, etc areas of Prime 1 and 2 and get more creative with the level tropes like Prime 3. Also bosses more like Prime 3, where you have a combination of the more videogamey, smaller scale fights like the hunters, and large scale puzzle style bosses like the first two games.

And for the love of God, do not make some open world bullshit.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Motion control just like in prime 3.
And all the controls you need just in one joycon.
So you can have coop and vs with every switch system

Oh and make it open world just like zelda botw.

ehead

Good progression system. Better yet, let Samus keep most of her old abilities from the get-go and just gather actually new power-ups. Kinda like how Arkam City retained Batman's tools from Arkam Asylum, and just developed new items or improved upon it.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I can tell you what I don't like to see:

1) Endings and overall game completion in % tied to scanning shit - i hate all this in the first 2 games - not scanning itself, just the fact that it's tied to endings and overall game completion rating. Who thought that this was a good idea? Who?!

2) Everything that was wrong with Other M imho - story, Samus and needless VA.

3) Prime 1 backtracking and world design - i hate it.

4) Prime 1 bosses - 80% of them was boring, easy as fuck and very uninteresting. In fact, in terms of bosses i only liked the the first, the second and Metroid Prime.

5) Goddamn artifacts or shit like that which you need to collect at the end of the game to fight the final boss - FUCK THIS!

Well um... that's about it.

I can tell you what I don't like to see:

1) Endings and overall game completion in % tied to scanning shit - i hate all this in the first 2 games - not scanning itself, just the fact that it's tied to endings and overall game completion rating. Who thought that this was a good idea? Who?!

Agreed. Give us some collectibles like unlockable artworks or whatever, but don't have endings tied to it :(

Shifty

Don't fill it with 800+ collectibles a-la SMO and BotW. There is a time and a place for that and Metroid is not it.

Put a hard limit on the number of NPC buddies helping out. Lean heavily into MP1 and its sense of isolation.

Give us proper control implementations for all input configurations instead of shoehorning things into waggle at the detriment of everything that isn't split joycons.

Good progression system. Better yet, let Samus keep most of her old abilities from the get-go and just gather actually new power-ups. Kinda like how Arkam City retained Batman's tools from Arkam Asylum, and just developed new items or improve upon it.

I'd love this. So many games take the easy route and dole out the same stuff you had in the last game after taking it away from you.

cireza

Banned
Boobs and babies.

And not a lazy "visit 120 sanctuaries, collect 900 poos" open world game-design like BotW.

Some challenge.

Try to actually put some thought in the world-design to make it meaningful to explore ? I know, this requires some efforts.

Mantorok

And for the love of God, do not make some open world bullshit.

I'm in two minds about this, because I feel Metroid would do well in an open-world scenario, as long as they continue to seal off parts of that world until you get necessary upgrades.

I'm not saying it should be completely open-world, but midway would still be keeping it real.

Boobs and babies.

And not a lazy "visit 120 sanctuaries, collect 900 poos" open world game-design like BotW.

Some challenge.

Try to actually put some thought in the world-design to make it meaningful to explore ? I know, this requires some efforts.

BotW is a lot of things - 'lazy' is not one of them.

After all the toxicity surrounding Samus, I'd love a Metroid-game that has the player take control of a generic Federal Space Marine and focus on the exploration of alien environments.

Since I want a proper 'Metroid 5' anyway, the story would support such a setup, where Fusion ends with Samus on the run from the Federation. You'd be part of a squad to capture Samus, uncovering secrets over the course if the journey, sometimes witnessing Samus from afar and eventually meeting up with her.

Playing as a generic soldier would shift the power dynamics and give us fresh abilities (think along the lines of elaborate visor usage, a jetpak and so on). It'd also be easier to implement a multiplayer component of sorts, which might not be the foremost focus of a Metroid-game, but Nintendo will want to have an online-fps on Switch.

But none of this will be happening anyway. We'll get a run-of-the-mill Prime-sequel and that's it. Will probably put the Metroid-franchise to sleep for the next 10 years, when it fails to sell even 2 mio..

RootCause

After all the toxicity surrounding Samus, I'd love a Metroid-game that has the player take control of a generic Federal Space Marine and focus on the exploration of alien environments.

Since I want a proper 'Metroid 5' anyway, the story would support such a setup, where Fusion ends with Samus on the run from the Federation. You'd be part of a squad to capture Samus, uncovering secrets over the course if the journey, sometimes witnessing Samus from afar and eventually meeting up with her.

Playing as a generic soldier would shift the power dynamics and give us fresh abilities (think along the lines of elaborate visor usage, a jetpak and so on). It'd also be easier to implement a multiplayer component of sorts, which might not be the foremost focus of a Metroid-game, but Nintendo will want to have an online-fps on Switch.

But none of this will be happening anyway. We'll get a run-of-the-mill Prime-sequel and that's it. Will probably put the Metroid-franchise to sleep for the next 10 years, when it fails to sell even 2 mio..

Ugh! Sounds similar to a certain boring space marine series.
No gracias! I want Samus, she is Metroid.

Cpt Lmao

I really hope that EAD are working on this, would love to see the Splatoon/ARMS gang reinvent Metroid Prime with some fresh ideas. I agree that a BotW style re-imagining is preferable here.

Aztorian

Give me the good ol' prime with the good new tech.

A big-ass planet to explore and yes, Prime needs backtracking. Although the way it was introduced in Prime kinda made no sense, so they should make that more logic. Give me some smooth gunplay, optional motion controls are fine, but don't make them mandatory. We need the Metroid multiplayer from the GC. That was fun as hell. Also, make the game lineair so it can really be story heavy and devs can focus on a really neat adventure experience like Uncharted, but the gameplay should be something like Prey where you can approach situations in your own unique style. We are working with a morph suit and aliens here, so they can do mad shit to make this cool.

CuNi

Metroid prime 2 part 2 pls. Loved the alone and yet quit disturbing atmosphere. Please use MP 1 or 2 controls.. MP 3 control was a unbelievable huge deal breaker for me. More scanning and secrets.. More of this wonderful music and eerie level design.. Honestly I just love MP 2 way too much.

Fbh

Main thing would be having my classic powers from the start and unlock new studff.

I don't want to have to unlock the double jump or charges missiles yet again

Kyle8497

Excellent story (Not Other M-esque), amazing environmental atmosphere, fantastic atmospheric music, lots of lore about the world(s) around me, fun gameplay, unique bosses, and so on.

maxresdefault.jpg

I'd love to see something magical and atmospherical as Phendrana Drifts in the new Metroid.
Also please Nintendo, PWEEAAASSEE, no pendants like the korok seeds or moons. Few collectibles are ok, but keep it moderate. I want to 100 % the game without giving up my full time job.

Jezan

I want new weapons and new suits that try something new, like in Echoes, they had the same silhouette but they were really different and awesome.

jwillenn

something bold/crazy mechanically that takes Metroid combat and exploration from the ground to the sky

FOR EXAMPLE
I shared this idea at gamefaqs. I'll try to articulate it a little differently here.

I don't know if I'm using the right term here, but here it goes. Hover Over/Hover Box - description displayed as a result of hovering a cursor over a button. For example. Hover cursor over Start button and see "Start".

Try to imagine Metroid Prime 4's world and its inhabitants infused with Hover Actions. Anything you target will feed anywhere from 1 to 8 unique actions to you to be accessed via the control palettes (like in Metroid Prime, Xenoblade Chronicles 2's Arts and Blades Palettes, and so on).

The actions are based on the abilities you start with and upgrades you'd acquire throughout the game, but a group from the development team would be tasked with imagining a crazy amount of ways for Samus to use these abilities.
Many actions would be fed consistently. Many combinations (actions fed as a result of actions used merely a couple of seconds prior to) would also be consistent. But there would be a TON of surprising "Rare" actions that happen as a result of meeting all the right conditions in combat or in exploration.

Those conditions can also include how Samus is equipped. How would you ever get an action that depends on Level 1 Ice Beam if Ice Beam is disabled? Enter that idea of Equipment Sets and being able to swap between them instantly enough to make it critical to advanced chaining of actions.

There's also the concept of Lock-Ons to Queue Actions and Execute Sequence. Here is a small example involving two Locks.
-target side of mountain
-1 of 8 options becomes "Hyper Dash Sequence"
-lock on (1st Target)
-*see squad of floating enemies off in the distance you'd pass by running along the side of the mountain*
-lock on to one ("Single Missile" - 2nd Tartget)
-lock on to another ("Freeze" - 3rd Target)
-switch equipment set and hover over final enemy of squad
-lock on to it ("Morph Ball Bomb w/ Icy Wind Propeller Effect")
-Press _ to Execute

Now watch the sequence you crafted from all the actions you could have chosen.

If you're not locking-on, then actions are only available to you for the time you are hovering over something that would make those actions available to you. The best example is some of the unique ways you can attack an enemy. While pointing at the enemy, you may have a Rapid Ice Beam option. The moment you point at something else, that and all other 7 or so actions become something else on the action palettes.

Well, that's the gist of it, at least. It's important to me that players not be given SOLUTIONS to "maze" problems (exploration). So with that in mind, there's a big challenge to all of this. If by simply pointing and being told you can Hyper Dash or some 7 other actions, that means you didn't have to think much about using Hyper Dash as a solution to making progress. I want to think more about that because one of the things I'd also want out of Prime 4 is a VERY difficult maze. I mean I want to be STOMPED frequently (not always, but so often that the experience becomes a pleasant memory for all the times (because the satisfaction of figuring it out is that good). i don't know. Maybe one solution is in the concept of "Queued Solutions" (the actions you choose to queue in sequence).

Eh. I know this is getting messy now, but I hope this post is understandable.

Aztorian

There's also the concept of Lock-Ons to Queue Actions and Execute Sequence. Here is a small example involving two Locks.
-target side of mountain
-1 of 8 options becomes "Hyper Dash Sequence"
-lock on (1st Target)
-*see squad of floating enemies off in the distance you'd pass by running along the side of the mountain*
-lock on to one ("Single Missile" - 2nd Tartget)
-lock on to another ("Freeze" - 3rd Target)
-switch equipment set and hover over final enemy of squad
-lock on to it ("Morph Ball Bomb w/ Icy Wind Propeller Effect")
-Press _ to Execute

Now watch the sequence you crafted from all the actions you could have chosen.

You want VATS in Metroid?

jwillenn

I don't know what VATS is, but sounds like a yes... haha! I'll look it up now.

edit:
I mean no. but YES! no. wait. yes...no... no. just... no. Should I?

If it helps, the "queuing" was inspired by a memory of KOTOR (bought it for OG, was loving it, never finished it).

Wilfred Nord

Neo Member
I love the Prime series and think the way forward basically would be to double down on the essences of what made the series so phenomenal in the first place.
1) Scanning was great (at least for a certain segment of gamers) so a way forward would be to make it even greater: the writing should be taken more seriously for it to truly elevate the scan visor from an interesting tool to a gateway to a real (edit: optional) literary experience.
2) Miyamotos initial remark about how Samus should be able to "switch heads" which led to the development of the whole visor-switching concept should be taken further and away from more run-of-the-mill ideas like heat vision and X-ray. Switching heads means entirely different perspectives and I would like more otherworldly visors that give you a deeply different experience of the world around you. An important note to end on with this is that the entirety of the world would have to be intricately designed with all the different visors in mind - this I assume is easier said than done:).
3) This leads directly to what I will end on which is the authentic feeling of the game world: natural environments, ecosystems, ancient buildings, etc. The immersive quality of the game kind of rests on this. "Doubling down" on this I will say kind of goes hand in hand with "doubling down" on the writing.

I have less concrete ideas about the action, puzzles, level design, etc. but the 3 areas I have just mentioned are what I would consider to be some of the greatest unique elements of Metroid Prime and I would personally love for MP4 to top its predecessors in regard to those.

jwillenn

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Vault-Tec_Assisted_Targeting_System

From the Fallout games, it's basically what you described, right?

Dude, YES! That is a big piece of it, at least when it comes to the carrying out of a sequence of actions selected. Choose your actions (queue created), execute. And of course you could cancel all lock-ons or one at a time. But it is important to keep in mind (for the big picture) that this goes deeper than targeting parts of an enemy. Just hovering over different points in the environment would uncover new actions to become selectable via the Actions Palettes. They would be everywhere. All the stuff on your screen now that you can get a description for by hovering your cursor over (Start, Time, Tray Icons, Toolbars, Avatar, Maximize/Restore/Minimize...), apply an exponent to that to get the idea of how crazy it would need to get. That's not to say that all actions would be unique between every freaking pixel. Again, there has to be consistency while also presenting a ton of surprising command options at every turn. That balance has to be struck.

Aztorian

Dude, YES! That is a big piece of it, at least when it comes to the carrying out of a sequence of actions selected. Choose your actions (queue created), boom. And of course you could cancel all lock-ons or one at a time.

Yep that's how Vats work. There's a limit on how many targets and shots yo can fire though. All depend on the "pp" you have. Sort of mana basically, and the weapon. For example a Rocket launcher shot would take up more pp per shot than a handgun.

I always found it a really cool feature for Fallout, not sure how I would feel about this in Metroid. If it's gonna be anything like the first Prime games, no. If it's really going to be an open-world expierence it might fit if it gets tweaked to the point it's not a VATS rip-off.

Wamb0wneD

Disagree. Metroid is the exploration of alien environments, using highly interactive abilities. And I don't know which other series has that. :)
Metroid is and always has been about Samus exploring these environments with her unique abilities like morph ball etc. Take that away and you have Halo knockoff with maybe some exploration parts. Exploring these environments without spiderball and co and the leveldesign that comes with them must be boring af.

Opinions.
No, BotW is an ambitious game. You don't even realize why there are 900 of these "poos" in there.
You don't have to like the game but calling it "lazy" is ridiculous.

Redmond Barry

Neo Member
I want Sylux to be handled well. I know next to nothing about MP4 -- no one does -- but I'm willing to bet that Sylux will play a big role in this latest entry, as anyone would given how this character's big introduction to the series has been teased on and off for a decade now.

Honestly, this character has left me unimpressed since day one and the thought that he will play a pivotal role in the series is a little laughable to me. I just want to be proven wrong on this.

Oh, and do not make the Federation a huge presence in the game. I get that with Sylux comes the Federation, but I don't want a repeat of MP3 where they are omnipresent.

As for controls: no waggle, please. MP3's controls are highly touted, sure, but does any care for those bits where they had you flips switches and turn knobs and shit?

goldenpp72

Faster movement, more acrobatic moveset and a more satisfying backtracking design would be great. I saw the potential of the original prime but those aspects hampered it a lot.

Metroid is and always has been about Samus exploring these environments with her unique abilities like morph ball etc. Take that away and you have Halo knockoff with maybe some exploration parts. Exploring these environments without spiderball and co and the leveldesign that comes with them must be boring af.

You can remove Samus and still have the rest remain intact. No idea why Metroid would become Halo 2.0 if you replaced the (unnecessary) hero of the past. If you're worried about the morphball, there are many workarounds to not lose that either.

As someone who loved Samus' charactrrization in Other M, I have no interest in the boring power fantasy that some fans demand. I'd rather play a nobody who learns more about Samus as he/she tries to catch her.

- Be able to toggle between 3rd person and 1st person ala Skyrim
- Gyro aiming
- Atmospheric, both beautiful and HAUNTING.
- Self-contained storyline that isn't attached to Tanabe's desire to create a comprehensive galactic backdrop.
- Link is silent, Mario shouts words and the occasional phrase, Donkey Kong grunts, Samus Aran is inherently more subdued and therefore doesn't need to talk.
- Pirate logs or journals, loved them in Prime. They really add to the lore.

Wamb0wneD

You can remove Samus and still have the rest remain intact. No idea why Metroid would become Halo 2.0 if you replaced the (unnecessary) hero of the past. If you're worried about the morphball, there are many workarounds to not lose that either.

As someone who loved Samus' charactrrization in Other M, I have no interest in the boring power fantasy that some fans demand. I'd rather play a nobody who learns more about Samus as he/she tries to catch her.

Lol k bye.

kingbean

No God damn forced motion controls. Thankfully it shouldn't happen since it can be played hand-held.

More like prime 1 and less like prime 3.

No dialogue, more scanning for lore.

Sure it is. Along with the half-assed uninspired ending....BotW's charm flies right out the window once you realize how empty the world truly is. Hell, Skyrim rewards you better for exploration than that game does.

On topic:

I'd definitely be interested in seeing the melee counter translated to the Prime series. I could see its implementation being similar to the glory kills from Doom (2016).

Neverwas

So long as it doesn't force some motion control bullshit on us, I'll be happy. MP Trilogy on Wii/WiiU was unplayable for me.

Athreous

Motion control just like in prime 3.
And all the controls you need just in one joycon.
So you can have coop and vs with every switch system

Oh and make it open world just like zelda botw.

Go away with that shitty crap motion thing ffs!!!!

Teuoxton

•Bring back MP2/H Echoes multiplayer mode
•Every rival from Hunters should be in the main storyline so Samus can finish them off once and for all (Noxus and Spire are spared since they're not really bad guys)
•No Ridley or Space Pirates besides Weavel
•Several planets like MP3 but with Tallon IV or Aether-sized maps for each

Cygnus X-1

I believe the art direction will be crucial. One of the factors that made the original Metroid Prime beyond impressive is that each room was no equal to any other. Retro's artists put lot of efforts in creating the right atmosphere. I hope the new developer is going to lead the direction of the game giving the same value to art as Retro did.

RootCause

Third person and no relation to any of Prime's garbage story and characters that Tanabe keeps pushing.
Sadly, Nintendo wants to make this their fps franchise. Really wish they had come up with something else for that tittle. I like Prime, but I really wish they'd try something else with the Metroid series.

JimboJones

I think there gonna take a lot of cues from Breath of The Wild and really open the world up.

Cut down on the coloured doors for sectioning areas off and remove the elevator/ship loading areas.

Top Bottom