• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: 4k 360 games tested on Xbox One X!

Sony

Nintendo
Great vid! Even if I don't buy an X this gen, Microsoft definitely secured that my next gen buy will be an Xbox. Great effort and support to make old titles shine, super consumer friendly.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
As far as I'm aware not even the Xbox One X has enough juice to emulate PS3 games, so if Sony was to do it the base PS4 would need to at least play PS3 games, let alone improve them.

Yeah thats Jak and Daxter, but games like MGS2, Silent Hill 2, Persona 3/4, Onimusha series still hold up.
Being able to just pop your disc in like Xbox One would be fantastic.

No I'm a Sony fan and I think it's embarrassing that the PS4 can't even play PS1 games but my Phone can do it it in resolutions above 1080p.
PS4 should be able to play those games as they were, HD and enhancements should be there too and we shouldn't have to rebuy them from a piss poor selection.

but emulates 360 games which are the same gen?

Sony

Nintendo

It's a bit more nuanced than that.

A 4 teraflops machine could emulate machine X being 1TF but not machine Y being 1TF aswel. It has to do with system architecture. PS3's architecture deviates substantially from "traditional" CPU architecture, thus requiring more recources to emulate.

YoshiMax

Not everyone wants to build a gaming pc, or fiddle with settings. Also, gaming consoles are much smaller, allowing us to take it wherever we want when traveling, or visiting our friends. Did I mention it's also cheaper than building a pc? Really not hard to understand.

And you don't have to suffer cheaters when playing online.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Wow, some of you can get really defensive. Okay, congrats for reinventing the wheel, I guess...

Or you could, you know, just not shitpost in threads that you don't have interest in. You don't see the value and that's fine. But let people who are interested have the discussion they want to have.

And you don't have to suffer cheaters when playing online.

This is my main reason for still playing on my X and Pro more often than on my pretty good gaming PC.

Anything single player I’ll play on PC but anything online/multiplayer related will now be played on my X.

For me it’s not even just cheaters, for some reason I’m just better on console. Like in Overwatch my competitive SR is 2300 on PC but 3300 on PS4

phil_t98

#SonyToo
It's a bit more nuanced than that.

A 4 teraflops machine could emulate machine X being 1TF but not machine Y being 1TF aswel. It has to do with system architecture. PS3's architecture deviates substantially from "traditional" CPU architecture, thus requiring more recources to emulate.

surly they can do it in software, the 360 was 32bit and the original xbox one was 64bit and I remember talk about the difference between the two. I know the ps3 had the Cell chip but I think it could still be done on the ps4

SaberEdge

This is fantastic Sony need to get their act together.
I know PS3 games are out the question but they haven't even bothered with their catalogue of games from 2 greatest libraries in gaming.
Being able to play timeless classics from PSX/PS2 in HD with enhancements would be big win for Sony and gamers.

I agree. I would love to see this. And in the future I hope their next console will have backwards compatibility with PS4 games. If they come up with a good, solid backwards compatibility that actually enhances games they could get me to do a lot more of my gaming on Playstation. Knowing that my games carry forward and look better and run better on my future hardware is a big part of why I choose to game on PC so much.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Even if the 360 version is better, any machine would have to work harder to emulate the PS3 version even though the end result is worse than the 360 version.
and for exclusives or 3rd party games that actually used the Cell as intended it would be even harder, remember the 360 3 PowerPC Cores and the PS3 had 1 PowerPC and 7 SPU Cores.
A lot of devs didn't code for the SPU cores and tried to either dump it on the single PowerPC Core or used the SPU's to emulate 2 PowerPC Cores which wasn't very efficient which resulted in poor ports.
That set up is the reason it harder to emulate.

knerl

Even if the 360 version is better, any machine would have to work harder to emulate the PS3 version even though the end result is worse than the 360 version.
and for exclusives or 3rd party games that actually used the Cell as intended it would be even harder, remember the 360 3 PowerPC Cores and the PS3 had 1 PowerPC and 7 SPU Cores.
A lot of devs didn't code for the SPU cores and tried to either dump it on the single PowerPC Core or used the SPU's to emulate 2 PowerPC Cores which wasn't very efficient which resulted in poor ports.
That set up is the reason it harder to emulate.

Well the way to do it would be to create a virtual machine like MS have on XBONE. How hard the host machine would have to work would depend a lot on the VM. With some magic it could end with about the same amount of load on the host as the VM on XBONE, but with results on par or even exceeding a superior 360 original. Although I seriously doubt Sony can begin to handle such a task. MS's VM experience is not to be taken lightly.

Oemenia

Banned
How do you know that? It's a console, so if the GPU is idling they can just increase the resolution and detail accordingly.
We've seen how CPU-limited sections benefit very little in games such as GTAIV.
Mirrors Edge on the X looks sublime. I would love to see Red Dead and Alan Wake get a patch also.

Alan Wake on PC is a sight to behold, would love to see how the 360 version could look with a res bump.

thelastword

Banned
Higher resolution is great, but some of these games are not native 4k and some are not 60fps? We even have some of the titles falling below 30fps???? I could understand 1800p-1900p/60fps at least.

TLOU is running at 60fps at 1800p locked and 4k 30fps solid with lots of improvements to textures, lighting, character models etc.....I'm not sure these are as impressive if we had to compare those...FWIW, I think Sony has done a lot better with PS3 games on PS4.PRO as opposed to demanding CB for all mulitplats, where even some of their studios (ND) fell short.....

I'm just looking at the PS3 games on PS4.PRO and they are really pushing much higher detail and geometry at 4k.

TLOU = 1800p 60fps/4k 30fps
Wipeout = 4k 60fps 4x MSAA
Tearaway = 4k 8xMSAA
Gravity Rush, Journey...all hit high resolutions at 60fps
Ezio Collection 4k 30fps

I'm not sure any of these games have issues with framerate and they all got significant upgrades than just a rez bump too.

Senua

Higher resolution is great, but some of these games are not native 4k and some are not 60fps? We even have some of the titles falling below 30fps???? I could understand 1800p-1900p/60fps at least.

TLOU is running at 60fps at 1800p locked and 4k 30fps solid with lots of improvements to textures, lighting, character models etc.....I'm not sure these are as impressive if we had to compare those...FWIW, I think Sony has done a lot better with PS3 games on PS4.PRO as opposed to demanding CB for all mulitplats, where even some of their studios (ND) fell short.....

I'm just looking at the PS3 games on PS4.PRO and they are really pushing much higher detail and geometry at 4k.

Tearaway = 4k 8xMSAA
Ezio Collection 4k 30fps

I'm not sure any of these games have issues with framerate and they all got significant upgrades than just a rez bump too.

Emulation vs remaster bro.

phil_t98

#SonyToo

Tearaway = 4k 8xMSAA
Ezio Collection 4k 30fps

these are games you have to buy, what Microsoft are doing is making your last gen games work on the xbox one or xbox one X

those you have pointed out are new games not games you already have ie: gears of war 3

cHaOs667

I have to admit I love the way how Skate 3 looks on the X1X.

The image quality through the bumped up resolution and AF is amazing.

1df72b20-ae7e-47d4-97d7-69a33eb7eac5.PNG

knerl

I hope they bump Halo Reach to 4k. Would love to see that, MCC and 5 on PC since I don't want to buy an Xbox just for those. Even if One X is impressive. I just don't get why they don't do this. I mean the Xbox except for great BC support nowadays is just a cheaper/more convenient PC to most and since most titles end up on PC they might as well. Would sell like butter.

thelastword

Banned
Emulation vs remaster bro.
That would be a good point if MS was trying to emulate PS3 games with XBONEX. Yes, it's an emulator of sorts, but it's akin to buying a 1080ti and playing games from ten years ago on it. From OG XBOX, to 360 to XBONEX they're all based on PC like architecture, it's easy to port to and thro and let a piece of software scale rez, implement AA, AF etc on these games. Obviously there's still some work that goes into it, for bugs etc...but this is no PS2 or PS3 emulation on PS4/PRO type endeavor....Sony had no choice but to do remasters on their best games...

Space_nut

That would be a good point if MS was trying to emulate PS3 games with XBONEX. Yes, it's an emulator of sorts, but it's akin to buying a 1080ti and playing games from ten years ago on it. From OG XBOX, to 360 to XBONEX they're all based on PC like architecture, it's easy to port to and thro and let a piece of software scale rez, implement AA, AF etc on these games. Obviously there's still some work that goes into it, for bugs etc...but this is no PS2 or PS3 emulation on PS4/PRO type endeavor....Sony had no choice but to do remasters on their best games...

What? lmao

kingbean

I mean... No?

The 360 is powerPC based. Just because the API is directX doesn't mean it works like a pc.

It would be nice if it worked that way and we could just slap our favorite MS titles in our pcs.

ReBurn

Gold Member

Psst...Xbox 360 was PowerPC

mad597

Banned
Psst...Xbox 360 was PowerPC

Its ok for Sony to be lazy and deny BC for 3 gens of games it seems. While charging for a service that allows them to stream them.

Hmm wonder why Sony cant even lift a finger to get PS1 and PS2 games working on the PS4 since sonyfans think ps3 is such an impossible task while MS does something similar with a power pc architecture.

rokkerkory

Its ok for Sony to be lazy and deny BC for 3 gens of games it seems. While charging for a service that allows them to stream them.

Hmm wonder why Sony cant even lift a finger to get PS1 and PS2 games working on the PS4 since sonyfans think ps3 is such an impossible task while MS does something similar with a power pc architecture.

Well it's just not that simple I would wager. Even for MS who is a s/w company, there is a lot of work that goes into this and it shows that MS is more dedicated to it than Sony is.

At least for the time being.

thelastword

Banned
What? lmao
Come on Nut, I'd call these games remasters much more than I'd call Mark of Kri, Rise of the Kasai, Jak, GTA Collection, War of the Monsters, Star wars games, Ape escape etc....which are emulated too, you're really taking that word a bit too literal here...If I buy a brand new direct x GPU and play my old games on it with better resolutions and AF due to agreeable architecture and compatibility, do you think it's the same as emulating exotic PS3 games on a modern PC?

The difference in these seven titles are huge in terms of resolution and AF and general IQ over those "PS2 on PS4" games. I've heard people praising the snort out of Oblivion etc because of the better detail you see due to a higher rez, better AF etc....Pretty much a PC like experience of older games. My only issue with it, is that how comes those OG XBOX games can't run at 4k 60fps on the third gen xbox hardware, it should be a breeze, especially if MS is shouting that this is a 4k native console for modern 2017 games et al...You see the irony of it all? I just think these games should be running at 4k 60fps without breaking a sweat on this "beastly" hardware....

As for the "remaster" bit...wait? Are you calling a game remastered only because it's printed on a disk and sold seperately? These XBONEX remasters..unhhh!... emulated games.. are superior to Pay Day Crimewave, Prototype, Dishonored etc...as far as effort put in...but I guess it says remaster on the box amirite;) ?

kingbean

You know it's possible to be right about something without being bitter, right? :p

Sony has been shit about backwards compatibility for like 10 years and MS has at least tried in the past. Their current push for it is awesome. The best thing about MS right now imo.

Come on Nut, I'd call these games remasters much more than I'd call Mark of Kri, Rise of the Kasai Jak, GTA Collection, War of the Monsters, Star wars games, Ape escape etc....which are emulated too, you're really taking that word a bit too literal here...If I buy a brand new direct x GPU and play my old games on it with better resolutions and AF due to agreeable architecture and compatibility, do you think it's the same as emulating exotic PS3 games on a modern PC?

The difference in these seven titles are huge in terms of resolution and AF and general IQ over those "PS2 on PS4" games. I've heard people praising the snort out of Oblivion etc because of the better detail you see due to a higher rez, better AF etc....Pretty much a PC like experience of older games. My only issue with it, is that how comnes those OG XBOX games can't run at 4k 60fps on the third gen xbox hardware, it should be a breeze, especially if MS is shouting that this a 4k native console for modern 2017 games et al...You see the irony. I just think these games should be running at 4k 60fps without breaking a sweat on this "beastly" hardware....

As for the "remaster" bit...wait? Are you calling a game remastered only because it's printed on a disk and sold seperately? These XBONEX remasters..unhhh!... emulated games.. are superior to Pay Day Crimewave, Prototype, Dishonored etc...as far as effort put in...but I guess it says remaster on the box amirite;) ?

You have no clue what you are talking about, per usual. These original games from Xbox 360 and OG Xbox are running on virtual machines that run on the Xbox One hardware.

Remasters especially TLOU were converted to run on PS4 hardware. If I'm not mistaken they ported their engine to PS4 and used TLOU as a warm up for UC4.

knerl

Playing older games in higher resolution is nice but it's been possible on PC for ages, so it's not like it's something new...

Except a lot of titles stemming from OG Xbox and 360 aren't available on PC or they were sometimes horrible ports that lack a lot of stuff you would desire. First thing that comes to mind is lack of gamepad support in a lot of 360 era ports. It's new for a console to span BC over so many generations the way it does with these enhancements on top of it. Does it have to be new? Why create a problem of something that isn't an issue, but instead just an added bonus and increase in value? It sure is a selling point that makes me consider getting one myself.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Come on Nut, I'd call these games remasters much more than I'd call Mark of Kri, Rise of the Kasai Jak, GTA Collection, War of the Monsters, Star wars games, Ape escape etc....which are emulated too, you're really taking that word a bit too literal here...If I buy a brand new direct x GPU and play my old games on it with better resolutions and AF due to agreeable architecture and compatibility, do you think it's the same as emulating exotic PS3 games on a modern PC?

The difference in these seven titles are huge in terms of resolution and AF and general IQ over those "PS2 on PS4" games. I've heard people praising the snort out of Oblivion etc because of the better detail you see due to a higher rez, better AF etc....Pretty much a PC like experience of older games. My only issue with it, is that how comnes those OG XBOX games can't run at 4k 60fps on the third gen xbox hardware, it should be a breeze, especially if MS is shouting that this a 4k native console for modern 2017 games et al...You see the irony. I just think these games should be running at 4k 60fps without breaking a sweat on this "beastly" hardware....

the games you are on about are REMADE for ps4 and not back compatible games so if you have the ps3 version it don't matter you have to buy the ps4 version to play it on the ps4, what Microsoft is doing is making original xbox and 360 games run on the xbox one.

completely different to what you are saying.

thelastword

Banned
the games you are on about are REMADE for ps4 and not back compatible games so if you have the ps3 version it don't matter you have to buy the ps4 version to play it on the ps4, what Microsoft is doing is making original xbox and 360 games run on the xbox one.

completely different to what you are saying.
I have no issues with the way the games are being enhanced. I even extrapolated on why it's so easy for MS to take that route in enhancing them to newer hardware.... It's because of the PC centric nature of the XBOX from inception, where OG XBOX was even going to be named the DIrectX-BOX or X-11 kit......

I care little for how a game is enhanced, I only showed the complexities in getting better results from more exotic hardware, which the OG XBOX is not. So, yes, the point again.... is that I expect much better results in terms of perf and resolution especially since target framerates are not tampered/heightened from 30 to 60 etc....

Top Bottom