• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT3| 80.8 % Certified Fresh

Glass Rebel

My girlfriend thinks he's the least attractive of the Chrises but only because he seems like such a goody two shoes.

Pine is the best Chris anyway. They should get him a role in the MCU.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
0_wXsBiDq2Q0KtWJqX..0.png

Glass Rebel

So Marvel TV shat out another middling season. 🤔🤔🤔

So instead of taking a step back they ramp up production so they can rush out four seasons in 2018. 🤔🤔🤔

How long until the people raise to arms against Jeph Loeb's tyrannical regime? 🤔🤔🤔

NQjgc89.gif

Yeah, the first two episodes of "Defenders" are not very exciting or interesting.

I feel super disappointed right now.

Edit: okay this Danny-Luke scene is pretty funny. And now we're back to exposition.

Mafro

So no indication that they befriending each other?
They do later on.

Looking at the OT and not surprised to see people letting their hate of Danny in Iron Fist cloud their judgement of him in Defenders. He's handled a hell of a lot better in terms of both characterisation and fight scenes.

Episode 3 is a lot better.

and the beginning of episode 4 is pretty good because the 4 of them have actual chemistry together. And I love none of them take Danny seriously in the beginning.

Glass Rebel

The Defenders' biggest achievement is rebounding from Iron Fist and making Danny not only tolerable but even likeable. That's really the only reason to watch it: The characters and their interactions. Sadly, everything else is lacking. Unlike DD, JJ and LC, this doesn't even have a good antagonist. The action is mediocre. The main conflict is boring. If the characters can make up for everything else, more power to you but it probably won't for many people.

Pachimari

Finished The Defenders and its made me interested in the Netflix universe again. I really did miss Karen and Foggy a lot, and I loved seeing Matt again, and even Malcom and Trish. Jessica was the best by far so I'm looking forward to her new season now.

Only two weeks till our next Marvel treat and cinematic revelation.

dh4niel

Watched the first episode of Defenders last night. I enjoyed it but I almost feel asleep before the end. I put that down to a long day at work though.

Pachimari

So with Daredevil season 3 filming in October I can't wait to hear more about it. It might as well be my most anticipated Marvel production at this point. And to think they could explore Matt's relationship with
his mother
sounds like an interesting prospect.

Watched the first episode of Defenders last night. I enjoyed it but I almost feel asleep before the end. I put that down to a long day at work though.
It also gets better.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Defenders was decent but it's becoming clearer and clearer that they are losing steam on the TV side. They need to start hiring some show runners with some unique vision like the movie side is doing.

Glass Rebel

Defenders was decent but it's becoming clearer and clearer that they are losing steam on the TV side. They need to start hiring some show runners with some unique vision like the movie side is doing.

It's difficult to attract capable people to a genre as saturated as superhero shows, I guess. People act like the movies are too much but we get like 6-7 a year at most. On the TV side you have:

Daredevil
Jessica Jones
Luke Cage
Iron Fist
Punisher
Defenders
Agents of SHIELD
Inhumans
Runaways
Cloak & Dagger

Legion
The Gifted

Arrow
The Flash
Supergirl
Black Lightning
Legends of Tomorrow

And it's not like most of these give you super unique concepts or a decent budget to work with.

El Topo

There's just too much TV for decent shows without a unique concept to stand out. Inevitably they will run into similar problems with their movies as well.

Glass Rebel

There's just too much TV for decent shows without a unique concept to stand out. Inevitably they will run into similar problems with their movies as well.

I mean, every well will run dry eventually but I find it way easier to sit through 2h of Thor 2 than 13-23 episodes of a mediocre show. I feel they are only limited by how far they're willing to lean into the realm of genre movies.

El Topo

I mean, every well will run dry eventually but I find it way easier to sit through 2h of Thor 2 than 13-23 episodes of a mediocre show. I feel they are only limited by how far they're willing to lean into the realm of genre movies.

It is not going to get any easier for them to find a great hook though. I don't think the problem (or "saturation") are imminent though.

It's now my headcanon that Netflix Marvel takes place in a reality where Tony Stark died going through the wormhole in Avengers.

Hence no Avengers tower.
Hence no reference to Ultron/the Accords.

The Defenders' biggest achievement is rebounding from Iron Fist and making Danny not only tolerable but even likeable. That's really the only reason to watch it: The characters and their interactions. Sadly, everything else is lacking. Unlike DD, JJ and LC, this doesn't even have a good antagonist. The action is mediocre. The main conflict is boring. If the characters can make up for everything else, more power to you but it probably won't for many people.

I still found Danny mostly unbearable but less worse than before?

Its like a combination between a bad script and lack of care or chemistry

Like certain characters bounced off each other better than others but it really felt like no one was having fun while making this thing

The best episodes were in the middle (3 thru 5) where the pace was brisk and the script was tighter

But yeah... even when reduced to 8 episodes the flow felt off and there was waaay to much screen and script time downplaying the conflict, or having to explain it to people... Lots of explaining to people. Lots of being annoyed at having to deal with supernatural forces even though this is MCU

Its like the creators are annoyed trying to adapt this Netflix show to a fantastical universe or MAYBE they are bitter over how handcuffed they are

This show felt chained down and it likely was. Daredevil season one was tighter and have more impressive spectacle. This felt like paint by numbers

4 episodes into The defenders and ep3 was the only one I fully enjoyed. Loeb needs to slow down, and focus on quality not quantity.

Opening theme is GOAT tho, better theme than Most MCU movies. I found myself enjoying the visuals also.

Glass Rebel

I dislike Finn Jones and Iron Fist S1 and I found Danny alright in this so I don't get the complaints. Like, he's inexperienced, a dork and a bit naive but I don't see how that makes him bad. It's his character. It also helped that they started sowing the seeds for the Luke x Danny friendship.

Of all the issues I have with the show, Finn Jones as Danny doesn't even register.

Edit: yea, Ep 3 is probably the best of the bunch. 3-5 in general are fine. Rest... less so.

I dislike Finn Jones and Iron Fist S1 and I found Danny alright in this so I don't get the complaints. Like, he's inexperienced, a dork and a bit naive but I don't see how that makes him bad. It's his character. It also helped that they started sowing the seeds for the Luke x Danny friendship.

Of all the issues I have with the show, Finn Jones as Danny doesn't even register.

Edit: yea, Ep 3 is probably the best of the bunch. 3-5 in general are fine. Rest... less so.

I found danny and coleen, kinda cute? Finn jones feels like he's happy to be there instead of how he was in that shit heap that was
Iron Fist.

So Marvel TV shat out another middling season. 🤔🤔🤔

So instead of taking a step back they ramp up production so they can rush out four seasons in 2018. 🤔🤔🤔

How long until the people raise to arms against Jeph Loeb's tyrannical regime? 🤔🤔🤔

NQjgc89.gif

I've been telling folks Marvel TV is a wasteland. No fucking QC in sight. Just throw it out or whatever, that's how bubbles burst.

I mean Sigourney is just throwing her lines out with no energy or nothing, I mean damn breh.

SpaceWolf

Banned
So not a single reference to the wider MCU in The Defenders outside of another fucking passing mention of "The Incident" again.

I think Marvel TV is pretty done trying to make these shows feel cohesive with the films.

Top Bottom