• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Expanse |S2| You guys look like shit - Wednesdays on Syfy

Once more for the new page:

- The Churn Episode 1: Sex, politics, and epic space battles kick off Season 2 of The Expanse
Welcome to our very first episode of The Churn, our post-show podcast about The Expanse. Each week during Season 2, Expanse creators Ty Franck and Daniel Abraham (who you all know as James SA Corey) join Syfy Wire's resident The Expanse superfans - Fanggrrls Managing Editor Cher Martinetti and Editor-in-Chief Adam Swiderski - to take a deeper dive into the lastest episode. And tonight, there was a lot to talk about. Joining us on our inaugural voyage is the one and only Dominique Tipper, aka Naomi Nagata, to talk about where Naomi's character is at the start of the season, the relationship of the Roci crew, and more.

Reviews:
- IGN
- Polygon

Pacotez

That whole sequence was intense, the PDC rounds tearing through were an awesome and terrifying effect.

I was already high on this show, but that hour and a half was easily better than the entire first season. Love the Roci set. Bobbie was good too, not much screen time but she's got the attitude, excited for (Caliban's War spoiler)
Ganymede

Spartacus guy is a great addition too.

I love the Rocinante and what they have been doing with the space fights. I hope they can keep that quality going

KeRaSh

I'm currently 50% through the third book and loving it. Didn't love season 1 as much as I thought I would. I guess that's the side effect of reading the book just before watching the show. The source material was too fresh in my mind and little details and changes bothered me more than they should.

I might give it a watch after the whole season aired. When will this be available on Netflix in Europe?

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know when this is supposed to hit Netflix in Europe?

Crispy75

http://www.whats-on-netflix.com/other/when-will-season-1-2-the-expanse-be-on-netflix/

When will Season 2 of The Expanse be on Netflix?

For those in the United Kingdom and all of the other regions that have The Expanse as an original, you will be getting season 2. Sadly, though, you won't be getting it on a weekly basis like you do with many other shows like Reign, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, and Better Call Saul. We know this because the February 2017 preview has been announced and The Expanse is nowhere in sight.

Instead, you'll get them all in one dump likely after the series has just finished which by our calculations is around April/May 2017.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Did I just see a JIF of Avasarala speaking to Ashur?

tumblr_nyskoy6aYZ1qdqjouo1_400.gif

Hot damn, I can't wait to catch up. Nick Tarabay is a treasure.

Edit: I did!

To be honest, I was a bit let down by the battle against the stealth ship (wasn't it two in the book). I can remember it was much more intense in the book and the Roci was pretty much gutted from bow to stern by a Railgun. The effect of the PDCs cutting through the hull and leaving a trace in the vacuum, which disappeared as soon as the ship performed a maneuver was absolutely magnificent though. It's this kind of attention to detail that makes hard sci fi awesome.

Also, the conversation with Dresden was nothing like I imagined it, the actor actually did a pretty poor job. I wanted him in a suit, menacing, completely in control of the situation, sweet talking his way out of trouble, with only Miller there to stop him.

arkon

I can't agree with him about the ending ruining everything up to that point. That's just crazy talk. If you ignore the last 20 minutes it's one of the best gaming trilogies ever created. But yeah, that final section... there's no fixing that shit.

I love that they have the ending for The Expanse though, if it's true. It could be complete bullshit because they've already added a couple more extra novels than it was supposed to be. But if they stick the landing, then great. I'm not looking forward to the end though, I like the stories too much for it to end!

At least we have the show!

If you believe what they say, they've had 9 books in mind since the start. The publisher wouldn't commit to more than 3 books at first and then picked up the rest when those first books sold well. I can't think of any publishers that would go for 9 books from an essentially unproven duo so I certainly buy that reasoning.

lt519

To be honest, I was a bit let down by the battle against the stealth ship (wasn't it two in the book). I can remember it was much more intense in the book and the Roci was pretty much gutted from bow to stern by a Railgun. The effect of the PDCs cutting through the hull and leaving a trace in the vacuum, which disappeared as soon as the ship performed a maneuver was absolutely magnificent though. It's this kind of attention to detail that makes hard sci fi awesome.

Also, the conversation with Dresden was nothing like I imagined it, the actor actually did a pretty poor job. I wanted him in a suit, menacing, completely in control of the situation, sweet talking his way out of trouble, with only Miller there to stop him.

Yeah it was two in the books. I'm not trying to nitpick though, they are going to vary. I thought the cat and mouse game of using the station to avoid the stealth ship was neat. The PDC fights were much cooler than I expected. The fight was different, but every bit as intense as in the books, especially the build up to it which I thought the show did better.

As far as Dresden,
He basically was talking his way out, Johnson was about to just capture him. They were starting to make me think he was actually going to be captured, Miller holstering his gun, Fred Johnson wavering and stepping forward.
Spoilers not needed, but giving it a day buffer for people to catch up.

Didn't even realise this was back! How was the first episode?

The best so far in the show! And it was a double premiere.

This is such bullshit. You'd think we were reaching a point where we wouldn't have to deal with this nonsense anymore.

Ooh man that's brutal, sorry guys ): It's up on Amazon but not free for prime members.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member

He's tier 1 amazing that guy, love him in a spy role!

That episode was brilliant, solid 9/10 from me - crazy how good this show is once you've read the source material too.

RS4-

Really enjoyed both eps, I kinda pictured the assault to turn out differently lol.

Glad that it's back.

Yeah it was two in the books. I'm not trying to nitpick though, they are going to vary. I thought the cat and mouse game of using the station to avoid the stealth ship was neat. The PDC fights were much cooler than I expected. The fight was different, but every bit as intense as in the books, especially the build up to it which I thought the show did better.

I did not have a problem with the different, but I didn't think it was as intense. Especially because the stealth ship didn't even do anything really. I mean they showed the Roci literally flying circles around the stealth ship, so it was clear she was more maneuverable, but that doesn't excuse a few minutes of flying back and forth under a random metal thingy that did't even look important enough not to just shoot through while the other ship does pretty much nothing.

EDIT: The build up was better, though

Also, I'm really glad they moved off their "shit-only stance". I don't care if they censor the fucks, TV broadcasts are fleeting, Blu Rays are eternal.

And now we pray to the ratings gods. Anyone got any idea when we will know more on that front?

Backlogger

That was amazing!! Way better than season one in overall pacing, tone, acting, etc. I stupidly deleted it from my DVR when it was over out of habit but I want to watch it again.

I was hoping for a slightly more epic space battle. Some of season one's were more fast paced but were too dark. This one was not too dark but the pace was slowed. I almost wonder if they were trying convey that the Roci got a bit lucky

Also was Cara Gee playing Michio Pa? They never said the characters name. She was Johnsons Lieutenant or whatever. I hope so.

Incredible, action packed episode. A lot of shit is about to go down. Love the Martian perspective. I already love Bobbie and the actress that plays her.

DieH@rd

Banned
Really awesome start of the season! So many awesome scenes! Amos is so crazy [which makes him perfect for this crew]. And Ashur is in!

Swearing was censored in my video.

It didn't occur to me until this episode that Amos has got one hell of a punch because he's an Earther, and thus stronger than the Martians and belters. But maybe that doesn't really apply if you've been living off world for a while.

As a reader, I like how they're agencing things in the show so far, it works really well.
One thing that was kind of meh to me during the first season is that I wasn't sold on most of the actors except for Avasarala, Dawes and Naomi, but right now, I'm adding Bobbie, Fred and Amos to that list. In particular, I really like Johnson's kind of understated tone, it's unintuitive but fits the character really well.

I guess it's mostly Miller, Alex and Holden who still feel off to me for some reason.

Expanse writer says the ending of Mass Effect 3 was 'f***ing terrible'

http://www.pcgamer.com/expanse-writer-says-the-ending-of-mass-effect-3-was-fing-terrible/

My hero!
Fuck, this made me realize there's only three books left. We're two thirds through.

Fucking amazing start, that was one of the best space battles I've ever seen. When those orange trails were shown it took me like 30 seconds to go through the process of "...wait, whats that, orange goo? Wait, that looks like contrails... holy shit... THOSE ARE BULLETS (rail gun)? OH SHIT THAT IS INSANE"

Great ending too, the one character that always keeps me glued to the screen is Avasarala. The (resigned) fleet commander said it best, she really IS a snake. When she talks her eyes are almost hypnotic to me, I am just totally glued to her face and almost mesmerized by what she is saying.

If anyone else noticed, Asher from Spartacus is her little spy-friend.

GavinUK86

Great episodes but I wasn't blown away as I thought I would be. Maybe that's my own fault, hyping it up too much in my head. I'm not keen on the changes from the book so far in these 2 episodes. Didn't have the same feel that I think it should've. Good though, definitely good. Super excited to see more and judging by the season trailer, I cannot wait to see the
protomolecule soldiers on Ganymede

How did I miss him in S2E1??? The E2 "previously on..." bit at the start shows
Avasarala talking to him asking him to be her spy
but from what I can tell that was never in that episode.

Wha?

Edit: Aha, found a reddit thread on this. DIfferences between VOD versions and broadcast ones.

Zoe

Wha?

Edit: Aha, found a reddit thread on this. DIfferences between VOD versions and broadcast ones.

Well, that's one way to get people to watch broadcast.

Morts

Wha?

I noticed the same thing in the Amazon version. Thought I missed something. I was also surprised that the Amazon streaming version censored the f-bomb.

Premiere was pretty good, though I want to know more about the giant Mormon spaceship.

GavinUK86

Wha?

I noticed it too. Weird. But...

rIQaVMC.png

lt519

Thats strange, Daniel Abraham popped into that thread and said he had no clue why those scenes were missing haha.

Great episodes but I wasn't blown away as I thought I would be. Maybe that's my own fault, hyping it up too much in my head. I'm not keen on the changes from the book so far in these 2 episodes. Didn't have the same feel that I think it should've. Good though, definitely good. Super excited to see more and judging by the season trailer, I cannot wait to see the
protomolecule soldiers on Ganymede

Just curious, what changes did you not like? I thought the battle scene, while different was well done, especially all the dialogue and crews getting ready before the battle. Much more intense lead up than the books. The fight, a little less so, but he PDC rounds were fun to watch. Can't remember any other significant changes. Maybe relating to Dresden
didn't Miller kill him in the book in front of a lot of his scientists, the whole station felt a little bare, that all played out a bit differently than I remember.

On a side, thinking about that battle; I thought the special effects were great, they poured a lot of money into this.

lt519

Guess some ratings data is in too, scored a 0.25 so it didn't even chart, ~700k viewers. The Magicians scored a 0.4 and had ~950k viewers. Wonder how much the 10PM double episode time slot had to do with it. Not good :/

They're not even all the way through Book 1. Running out of material is not something they're worried about.
Yeah, no matter how long this show lasts they'll never be able to cover all the material from the books.
Edit: Not surprised that the ratings were less than stellar. They were poor for season one too.

This show deserves really good ratings. It's so good.

I love the Rocinante and what they have been doing with the space fights. I hope they can keep that quality going

Yeah, it's a great ship.

He's tier 1 amazing that guy, love him in a spy role!

That episode was brilliant, solid 9/10 from me - crazy how good this show is once you've read the source material too.

Agreed, didn't expect to see him.

Soooo good lol.

Also that thread title is perfect "You guys look like shit.", I still remember that moment lol.

RS4-

Also was Cara Gee playing Michio Pa? They never said the characters name. She was Johnsons Lieutenant or whatever. I hope so.

Oh that might be Drummer actually.

And what really bothered me about the EP was the whole Dresden/Miller/Johnson conversation. Didn't turn out well.

Geist-

Season 2 starting off amazingly. This show might have the best space battles ever on television, nothing else comes close for me.

Someone please make a gif album of the space battles and post it here (in a url of course).

jerry113

Banned
lets get some earth vs. mars action real soon

good start to the season; thomas jane has great chemistry with the rest of the cast.

SnowTeeth

Banned
Seeing as S2 won't be available in Australia until the season finishes, I will use ZenMate + Peerblocker + Pirate Bay (feel free to let me know why I'm not secure) to pirate the shit out of it. Fuck you Murdoch.

Xe4

Banned
Saw it earlier today. Fucking awesome, I'm really liking Bobbie so far, which was a large concern of mine. It's obvious they're using camera trickery to maker her look bigger than she is, but I think she's pulling off the acting well.

That battle in episode 2 was fucking intense. Geez, if I hadn't know what was going to happen, it looked for sure like someone would've gotten fucking iced by those shots. I think they took out the stealth ship a bit too easy/quick though. I looked away for a second and they went from being in deep shit to having won, lol.

Still, awesome start to the series, can't wait for the rest of the season.

Guess some ratings data is in too, scored a 0.25 so it didn't even chart, ~700k viewers. The Magicians scored a 0.4 and had ~950k viewers. Wonder how much the 10PM double episode time slot had to do with it. Not good :/

That really is not good. Oh, god please don't cancel this, Sy-Fy this is the first show of yours I've been interested in since BSG. I bought it on Amazon, meaning I probably wasn't counted as a view. I hope a lot of people did that, and Sy-Fy is taking that into account.

Seeing as S2 won't be available in Australia until the season finishes, I will use ZenMate + Peerblocker + Pirate Bay (feel free to let me know why I'm not secure) to pirate the shit out of it. Fuck you Murdoch.

Like, anywhere? You can't even buy it? If you can, you should try to, I have a feeling this show will need every view it can get : (
If not, that fucking blows. You have my sympathies.

Top Bottom