• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Albums From Two Decades Ago That Still Sound Fresh, Exciting & Vital Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaBoiX

Post albums that you feel are still relevant today despite being ~20 years old (a few of mine are a year or two out), explain why and post an example track if you can:

1. Daft Punk - Homework (1997)

Ifx52SR.jpg

It's seminal, championed a lot of techniques still used regularly today and it sounds like it was recorded yesterday. Effortless cool.

Daft Punk - Revolution 909

2. Massive Attack - Mezzanine (1998)

2tsJrVl.jpg

The pinnacle of the trip-hop movement and one of the best albums ever recorded, utter genius.

Massive Attack - Inertia Creeps

3. PJ Harvey - Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea (1999)

YVHSjJ0.jpg

Some might argue this is her sellout record but I think they're wrong and it's a classic that's stood the test of time.

PJ Harvey - Kamikaze

4. The Roots - Things Fall Apart (1999)

mdyt72P.jpg

A shining example of how fresh hip-hop can sound with a live band with integrity rapping about real shit, not hollow bragging about flashy cars and bitches over Casio beats.

The Roots - Step Into The Realm

5. QOTSA - Rated R (2000)

Py0WPPD.jpg

OK, they've gone off the boil a bit lately but when I first heard this album it was the coolest shit ever, it still sounds so, so fresh. Their best work.

QOTSA - Better Living Through Chemistry

Socivol

No Doubt Tragic Kingdom is still really really good and sounds just as good today as it was back in the 90s.

Zophar

Also came in expecting Mezzanine, was not disappointed. Feels like an album that dropped out of the 22nd century into the 90s.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing about In the Aeroplane Over the Sea has aged and if it came out today it would get hella play time on indie stations and David Dye would be nasaly expounding on its stripped down emotionallity and playfully dark lyrics.

smisk

Nothing about In the Aeroplane Over the Sea has aged and if it came out today it would get hella play time on indie stations and David Dye would be nasaly expounding on its stripped down emotionallity and playfully dark lyrics.

I was gonna say this. I also think Modest Mouse's second album - Lonesome Crowded West - is still really great.

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream (1993)
SmashingPumpkins-SiameseDream.jpg

I'm not even a big Smashing Pumpkins fan, but this album still works today... The aspects of dreamy pop would resonate with a lot of pop music that's debuted over the last 5 years. A lot of great albums from '93, '94 are great albums, but they wouldn't sound fresh if they came out today unless you're a major fan of those bands.

Otherwise, a lot of late 80s/90s Pixies albums would fit in today's reductionist alt rock genre today.

There's a couple of a good ones in this thread already. I have a couple more:

Entroducing... by DJ Shadow (1996)
Endtroducingcover.jpg

This album still sounds so fresh today. It actually has infinite replayability.

Dummy by Portishead (1994)
Portishead_-_Dummy.png

Another album that you can listen to and feel good about it today.

Kevtones

The Dismemberment Plan - Emergency & I
Boards of Canada - Music Has the Right to Children
This Heat - Deceit
Syrinx - Tumblers of the Vault

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
-- Great call on Massive Attack now that Trip Hop has its own reconnaissance with Phantogram blowing up.

-- Also 100% agreed on The Roots, though Illadelph Halflife still rules.

-- I'd mix in pre-Fergie Black Eyed Peas' Bridging the Gap. Great album, still bumps.

-- And obviously everything from Tribe Called Quest.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
I was gonna say this. I also think Modest Mouse's second album - Lonesome Crowded West - is still really great.

Eh. I like that album (even if it is one of myeast favorite MM albums) but something about it sounds "old" and out of place today. I think it's the production values and reverb abuse.

If you had said The Moon and Antarctica I might have agreed.

Moofers

First off, I love this thread. This is the music of my generation. That said, I humbly submit two of the biggest albums from my teenage years.

White Zombie - La Sexorcisto: Devil Music Vol 1

This album is still really its own thing. While the band followed up with Astro Creep, the sound was darker and less of the fun, grungy, B-movie kind of thing this album had going for it. Astro Creep was definitely more like all the other Rob Zombie solo albums that came later and to this day I don't think there's been any kind of Zombie album that has felt like this one did and still does.

Rollins Band - Weight

Best known for the hit "Liar" on it, this album was Henry Rollins and friends at its best. The messages in these songs helped shaped my teenage mindset in a positive way that was missing from a lot of the other stuff I was into at the time. It felt like Rollins had something to say here and a lot of that stuck with me through the years. Plus it still feels like a pretty unique album that weaves in and out of heavy metal, funk, blues rock, and alternative rock. Great stuff all around.

I listened to both of those albums over and over while playing stuff like Doom and Alien vs Predator on the Jaguar. Listening to either one still takes me back to those days.

The Chemical Brothers - Surrender (1999)
Surrender_album_cover.jpg

I would have to pick this over 1997's Dig You Own Hole because Surrender was a far more ecclectic, forward moving piece of work. DYOH is quinessential Big Beat, but it's very markedly a 90s album in tone. Fantastic collabs, huge range of styles, everything about Surrender is amazing and plays extremely well today.

NinjaBoiX

There are some good choices here guys but post more links!
There's a couple of a good ones in this thread already. I have a couple more:

Entroducing... by DJ Shadow (1996)
Endtroducingcover.jpg

This album still sounds so fresh today. It actually has infinite replayability.

Dummy by Portishead (1994)
Portishead_-_Dummy.png

Another album that you can listen to and feel good about it today.
I actually had both of these on my list but pruned it down to 5. I feel like I bang on about these two albums enough anyway!

Bread

Banned
PHM is amazing, but let's be real: it sounds 80s as fuck. It just happens that some 80s elements have made their way into modern music.
exactly! that's why it sounds so great now. the production is top notch and it sounds like something that could have come out last year.

Doggystyle and The Chronic sound fresh as hell. I love the shot at Swizz Beatz in the OP.

It's almost been two decades but Chronic 2001

Came in here to make sure these three albums were represented. Albums where Dr. Dre actually produced the entire album are incredible. Doggystyle is recorded and mixed so well. Same for Chronic 2001. They both sound better than most albums released today. The Chronic still sounds great as well. Impressive especially for the two Death Row-era albums considering the huge shift in recording technology/process after they were released.

Blur-Blur.jpg

Blur - Blur
Song staples like Beetlebum and Song 2 came from this album. Still is a brilliant reworking of the 90s rock scene that is fresh even to today.

Let's do more!

Selected Ambient Works 85-92 - Aphex Twin (1992)
Selected_Ambient_Works_85-92.png

Buena Vista Social Club - Buena Vista Social Club (1997)
Buenavistasocialclubalbumcover.jpeg

The Fantastic Plastic Machine - The Fantastic Plastic Machine (1997)
The_Fantastic_Plastic_Machine_Album_Cover.jpg

L'Adventure Fantastique

Marcy Playground - Marcy Playground (1997)
Marcy_Playground_-_Marcy_Playground_album_cover.gif

Uptown Saturday Night - Camp Lo (1997)
Uptownsaturdaynight.jpg

Luchini

Theres a lot of good stuff out there.

snacknuts

we all knew her

I was going to post this. Greatest thing ever recorded IMO.

RoKKeR

Dark Side of the Moon, Achtung Baby, OK Computer....

A little more than 20 years on some of these lol but that's what comes to mind.

Myriadis

220px-Lecover-big.jpg

-actually closer to 30 years now.

While I love this album, there are pieces within that feel very 90s.
Boys for Pele feels a bit more modern and is 21 years old.

Also fairly 90s at quite a few parts, but man what a good album. I never liked Madonna until I found this one.

----
Stereolab - Emperor Tomato Ketchup
Doesn't sound like the 90s because it sounds like the 50s making music they think the 90s will sound like.

24856-long-seasonxaspp.jpg

Fishmans - Long Season

51sjm0c7dclvvsqj.jpg

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F#A# Infinity
Postrock. Still sounds like 20 years ago and I have no problem with that if it sounds like this.

1378816725_either-ortpsgi.jpg

Elliott Smith - Either/Or (and earlier albums)
Well he's absolutely beloved today and the fresh timeless sound really helps here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom