• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 3 (snes) or Final Fantasy 6 (steam)?

Velius

Banned
What was the difference with the Translations? I don't see anyone talking about those.

The Ted Woolsey Uncensored script is by far the best, and the way the original localization was intended to be presented.

With a very few exceptions, the entirety of Ted's work has been preserved. And with no exception the entirety of his intent has been preserved. What little variances there are, have been handled with the greatest care.

You really owe it to yourself to play the game with that script. Final Fantasy VI is my favorite game of all time and playing it again with that version was absolute bliss. A joy.

EdgeXL

How well do Sabin's special attacks work on a keyboard? On the SNES version you did Street Fighter II style special moves. What do you have to do on a keyboard?

tuffymon

Outside of the graphics, the steam version was immensely better. You could see your inputs on a blitz, and if you did it wrong, cancel out and try again... Cyan's charging his sword skills is another huge improvement. A few things are fixed or altered too.. no more vanish/death/doom/xzoning bosses etc...

stranno

Steam version is one of the worst "remasters" ever seen.

Amazingly wrong mix of: Original pixelated backgrounds, horrible new sprites, nonsense 3D models in the map and stupid mobile UI. It has his merits for being crap in every single aspect you can think.

Game Boy Advance version + colors patch + music patch is the best version of the game out there. It could not sound as good as SNES and there are some minor slowdowns here and there but it has more stuff and five properly done translations.

Last edited:

Z3M0G

It might be finally time to forgive the new art and play this... but I'd go with Mobile.

Would there be any reason not to if I don't care about mods?

PaulBizkit

Hell yeah, the monthly "which version of FF6 do i play" thread!

copy pasted solution awaaay:

There are two valid answers for this:
- SNES version with translation patch
- GBA version with color patch

Final Fantasy 3 US (SNES) is Final Fantasy 6 in Japan. It's just that Final Fantasy 2, 3 & 5 in Japan were never released in the US. So in the US the Japanese version of Final Fantasy 4 is 2 and the Japanese version of Final Fantasy 6 is 3, both released on the SNES. Make sense?

With the release of 7, they corrected the numbering inconsistency.

Could someone explain this in more detail, please?

I'm planning to play the main releases but the numbering inconsistency confuses me. Also a thread about the best platform to play each game would be greatly appreciated.

Zog

Banned
Final Fantasy 1 (NES/Famicom) - Released in US and Japan
Final Fantasy 2 (Famicom) - Only released in Japan
Final Fantasy 3 (Famicom) - Only released in Japan
Final Fantasy 4 (SNES/Super Famicon) - Released in US (titled Final Fantasy 2) and Japan (titled Final Fantasy 4)
Final Fantasy 5 (Super Famicom) - Only released in Japan
Final Fantasy 6 (SNES/Super Famicom) - Released in the US (titled Final Fantasy 3) and Japan (titled Final Fantasy 6)

Now they are all released in the US and properly numbered:

Final Fantasy 1 = GBA, PSP, Mobile
Final Fantasy 2 = GBA, PSP, Mobile
Final Fantasy 3 = DS, PSP, Mobile, Steam
Final Fantasy 4 = PS1, GBA, DS, PSP, Mobile, Steam
Final Fantasy 5 = PS1, GBA, Mobile, Steam
Final Fantasy 6 = PS1, GBA, Mobile, Steam

Last edited:
GBA version with hacks for improved graphics and sound

My man! That's currently my preferred version of FF6 as well. I'm only using the audio improvement hack, however. What graphics hack have you applied to your ROM?

Did the SNES version ever receive a hack to add in the bestiary from the GBA version?

Last edited:
Thanks Zog!
Final Fantasy 1 (NES/Famicom) - Released in US and Japan
Final Fantasy 2 (Famicom) - Only released in Japan
Final Fantasy 3 (Famicom) - Only released in Japan
Final Fantasy 4 (SNES/Super Famicon) - Released in US (titled Final Fantasy 2) and Japan (titled Final Fantasy 4)
Final Fantasy 5 (Super Famicom) - Only released in Japan
Final Fantasy 6 (SNES/Super Famicom) - Released in the US (titled Final Fantasy 3) and Japan (titled Final Fantasy 6)

Now they are all released in the US and properly numbered:

Final Fantasy 1 = GBA, PSP, Mobile
Final Fantasy 2 = GBA, PSP, Mobile
Final Fantasy 3 = DS, PSP, Mobile, Steam
Final Fantasy 4 = PS1, GBA, DS, PSP, Mobile, Steam
Final Fantasy 5 = PS1, GBA, Mobile, Steam
Final Fantasy 6 = PS1, GBA, Mobile, Steam

Top Bottom