• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

News Bot

Banned
Yeah it was a terrible mistake to remove them. Someone should have asked the RE0 director why he did that.

One would hope Capcom have plans to bring them back, last time they appeared was Umbrella Chronicles if I'm not wrong.

They weren't in 0 because they wouldn't make sense with the plot and they already had the Mimicry Marcus as an alternative. CAPCOM like to do something new and unique in each game.

Crimson Heads are only possible in REmake because the t-Virus that leaked in the mansion mutated into a new strain. Lickers are possible because this mutant strain was improved, which is why Crimson Heads and Lickers, while caused by the same mutation, are unrelated. The strain in BIO0 is the primitive t-Virus. It lacks this ability.

Neiteio

Actually, I'll just go all-out with my ideas for RE7. The following includes spoilers for Revelations 2, RE6, etc.

OK.

So.

As per the true ending of RER2, Barry adopted Natalia but she is possessed by the mind of Alex Wesker. The Wesker-possessed Natalia gets in touch with her organization and they extract her from Barry's home. Barry resolves to find her and exorcise Natalia of Wesker's influence.

The Wesker-possessed Natalia, meanwhile, is fixated on Sherry Birkin, who she learned of due to Sherry's friendship with Claire. Since Sherry has healing powers and doesn't age beyond sexual maturity, she is considered the ideal vessel for Wesker to attain immortality/godhood. Wesker begins hatching a plan to steal Sherry's body.

Later, terrorists attack a fictitious city in Czechoslovakia. The city is reminiscent of Prague, with layers of architecture dating back millennia. Perfect for nonsensical puzzles, I might add!

A force field seals off the entire city from the outside world, leaving the trapped inhabitants to succumb to a viral outbreak and renegade BOWs. Faced with a humanitarian crisis, the BSAA tunnels under the force field to infiltrate the city and find a way to shut it down from the inside out.

Eight agents are sent in (some of which are not BSAA proper, but just roll with it):

Team #1: Chris and Jill
Team #2: Leon and Claire
Team #3: Jake and Sherry
Team #4: Barry and Moira

I've paired them up for thematic reasons, of course. This would be one continuous story, switching between different characters in different places at different times, like the Revelations series. At certain points, the teams would mix up. For example: Chris and Leon, Jill and Claire, Claire and Sherry, Leon and Sherry, Jill and Barry, Chris and Barry, etc. Lots of interplay between the characters.

And yes, Piers would be back... working for Wesker! Turns out he survived the ending of RE6, thanks to his mutant form, and Wesker's organization found him and made him their equivalent of Krauser. He's an amnesiac who has been brainwashed to hate the BSAA. Part of the story would involve Chris breaking through Piers' mental conditioning and reminding him of the bromance they share, and then trying to find a way to heal him.

I know I have more ideas, but it's been a while since I've thought of this, lol. News Bot, go easy on me!

Vibranium

Banned
They weren't in 0 because they wouldn't make sense with the plot and they already had the Mimicry Marcus as an alternative. CAPCOM like to do something new and unique in each game.

Crimson Heads are only possible in REmake because the t-Virus that leaked in the mansion mutated into a new strain. Lickers are possible because this mutant strain was improved, which is why Crimson Heads and Lickers, while caused by the same mutation, are unrelated. The strain in BIO0 is the primitive t-Virus. It lacks this ability.

Makes sense in the lore I guess but I'd still bring them back. I don't find Mimicry Marcus intimidating like the CH.

I wanted to see the same mechanic in The Evil Within but Mikami let me down there.

Neff

My wild card guess is that RE7 will deal with an extraterrestrial organism, à la The Andromeda Strain, which will be reverse-engineered and used to create freaky new monsters.

Chris will of course punch the moon.

Neiteio

My wild card guess is that RE7 will deal with an extraterrestrial organism, à la The Andromeda Strain, which will be reverse-engineered and used to create freaky new monsters.

We can combine your idea with mine and have the game end with the villains pulling down the moon and Chris repelling it by mashing Square to punch.

Seyavesh

hlEDSpK.jpg

News Bot

Banned

This is the most logical step beyond constantly re-engineering viruses and the Plaga. The series should go the way of Syphon Filter Dark Mirror and present new threats that are still relevant to bio-chemical warfare. Meanwhile you can still involve the viruses and Plaga to some extent.

The Wesker-possessed Natalia, meanwhile, is fixated on Sherry Birkin, who she learned of due to Sherry's friendship with Claire. Since Sherry has healing powers and doesn't age beyond sexual maturity, she is considered the ideal vessel for Wesker to attain immortality/godhood. Wesker begins hatching a plan to steal Sherry's body.

This is perfect. The best thing they could do with Alex at this point while also hearkening back to the G-Virus' purpose of creating evolved humans.

Neiteio

The nature of the virus/parasite/etc really doesn't matter to me. The end result will be the same: Men turning into monsters! Monsters made in labs! And so on.

What's more interesting is the characters and setting they'll choose.

News Bot said:
This is perfect. The best thing they could do with Alex at this point while also hearkening back to the G-Virus' purpose of creating evolved humans.
Wow, I feel validated now, lol

News Bot

Banned
The stage play also uses a concept I've always quite liked, that there are certain people who mutate "beneficially" (side effects optional for drama) and gain superhuman abilities of some form from the viruses. Mary Gray in the play was a t-Virus test subject who obtained superhuman strength and clairvoyance at the cost of mental illness. What I want is this to start happening to normal people and then authorities trying to cope with it.

Parasite Eve II ends on a similar note that there are people around the world like Aya with an evolved cell nucleus able to control neo-mitochondria who they decide to locate and educate. It would be nice to see the BIO world trying to cope with not only divergent evolution caused by the viruses on organisms, but also the evolution of the viruses themselves once out in the wild. The series has already established that the viruses mutate quite easily.

Though it'd probably end up like the Marvel Universe...

Something like what was seen in Extermination would fit Neff's idea well.

Neiteio

The stage play also uses a concept I've always quite liked, that there are certain people who mutate "beneficially" (side effects optional for drama) and gain superhuman abilities of some form from the viruses. Mary Gray in the play was a t-Virus test subject who obtained superhuman strength and clairvoyance at the cost of mental illness. What I want is this to start happening to normal people and then authorities trying to cope with it.

Parasite Eve II ends on a similar note that there are people around the world like Aya with an evolved cell nucleus able to control neo-mitochondria who they decide to locate and educate. It would be nice to see the BIO world trying to cope with not only divergent evolution caused by the viruses on organisms, but also the evolution of the viruses themselves once out in the wild. The series has already established that the viruses mutate quite easily.

Like a horror version of Xmen, then? Would be cool from a gameplay standpoint, having superpowers and such.

Also, Neff's idea was to bring in alien organisms. How would that jive with Extermination? (Not familiar with latter)

News Bot

Banned
Like a horror version of Xmen, then? Would be cool from a gameplay standpoint, having superpowers and such.

Also, Neff's idea was to bring in alien organisms. How would that jive with Extermination? (Not familiar with latter)

Basically what Devil May Cry was meant to be, BIOHAZARD with a superhuman.

Extermination is like a hybrid of The Andromeda Strain and The Thing. Pretty decent game actually, and directed by Tokuro Fujiwara. It had over-the-shoulder aiming before BIO4.

Neiteio

Basically what Devil May Cry was meant to be, BIOHAZARD with a superhuman.

Extermination is like a hybrid of The Andromeda Strain and The Thing. Pretty great game actually, and directed by Tokuro Fujiwara.
Ah, I see

I think back to how fun Wesker and Krauser were to play in RE4 Mercs, thanks to their superpowers

I wouldn't mind seeing more of that in the player's control

Neff

I think the the original RE4 was right to drop the mutant protagonist thing. While Jake and Sherry make a fun (and ironic, considering their parentage) pair, RE needs the vulnerable, human, punishable John McClane element to contrast with the fantastical abominations continually thrown at them.

Playing as Wesker in RE0 is neat but it's really over the top, it's clearly a level RE shouldn't breach with its leading guys and gals.

RSB

Banned
Not as cute as Piers and Chris.
Chris and Piers is still the greatest love story in the history of videogames.
I'm only half-joking

Chris' massive LGBT fanbase is going to have to come to terms with the fact Piers is dead and ain't coming back.

I support Chris being gay by the way, though I wish he would go back to being skinny. I know I am in the minority.
Bury your gays trope strikes again.

I know what it is, and a lapse in internal logic often is contradiction. That's not a plot hole because in this series, gameplay is distinct from plot, and always has been. Zombies can only be killed by shooting them in the head but in the games you can kill them with 4-5 bullets to the chest. Level design is also distinct from the plot.

Using this arbitrary logic while claiming there are not plot holes is basically saying no RE game is canon.

Hey all,

I've gone and compiled Randomwab's list and added CV and RE4 to it. I thought it was far too useful to remain in the recesses of GAF. Tell me what you think!

You made the same error with S ranks.

"Japanese release game ranks go from S through D, West releases rank A through E"

This is false, the PAL PS1 RE2 version also has S rank.

CVX HD has altered character models.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
My stance is Piers could still be alive. If RE has taught me anything, it's that if you don't deliberately see a character die, they're probably not dead.

If he is dead, I'm not that bothered, but since we just see him standing there after helping Chris with a lightning strike, I'm not willing to 100% buy they killed him off. Especially since Piers was relatively well received (RE6's story has some failings, but it surprisingly sold the new characters in RE6, with particular mention going to Piers and Sherry's reimagining, pretty well to have fans and be liked).

We've seen a number of times characters that were supposed to die come back, and I kind of feel with Piers' 'death' they left it open enough they could bring him back if they wanted to, or kill him off if they wanted to.

I hope he becomes Piers, the friendly B.O.W.

Was that resident evil comic series by windstorm considered canon? I never read it. I'm assuming it's like how it usually goes and only the Japanese mangas are canon?

https://d1466nnw0ex81e.cloudfront.net/n_iv/600/966855.jpg

To my knowledge, the only comics considered canon are the Japanese mangas, since those are the ones the creators in Japanese look at and give deeper insight on. I believe the Umbrella Chronicles manga, Resident Evil 6 prequel manga, and the Revelations 2 manga are all considered canon.

Manu

You can even call it A-Virus and keep the naming convention.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Using this arbitrary logic while claiming there are not plot holes is basically saying no RE game is canon.

You made the same error with S ranks.

"Japanese release game ranks go from S through D, West releases rank A through E"

This is false, the PAL PS1 RE2 version also has S rank.

CVX HD has altered character models.
Edited to reflect this info, thank you.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

I still want that US Government rooting out Umbrella Corp. plants in the government/senate side-game they were thinking of doing while thinking of ideas for Biohazard 3. In fact, I wish they'd go back to the 1990's and flesh out Umbrella more. Tricell and whatever new virus company/"the Family" in Bio6 (*spit*) were fell flat and fast.

I support Chris being gay by the way, though I wish he would go back to being skinny. I know I am in the minority.

For real. Chris' roided up look looks so bad. Like wayyyy exaggerated.

Sadist

I just want another evil company experimenting with the base virus.

And take a break from Chris. Chris is cool, but the dude needs some downtime.

Nudull

Banned
I just want another evil company experimenting with the base virus.

And take a break from Chris. Chris is cool, but the dude needs some downtime.

Who could we get for RE7, returning cast-wise? We did see Sherry and Claire come back, so might we see anyone else we haven't heard from in a while?

Parker should totally come back. He was awesome in Revelations.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Yeah it was a terrible mistake to remove them. Someone should have asked the RE0 director why he did that.

One would hope Capcom have plans to bring them back, last time they appeared was Umbrella Chronicles if I'm not wrong.

Operation Raccoon City, actually. Yeah.

Was that resident evil comic series by windstorm considered canon? I never read it. I'm assuming it's like how it usually goes and only the Japanese mangas are canon?

https://d1466nnw0ex81e.cloudfront.net/n_iv/600/966855.jpg

Absolutely non-canon, although it did give us...

C'mon, they'd obviously go with The X-Virus.

^ This beautiful virus. :|

dan2026

Every so often I remember that Umbrella Corps is still coming out and that Capcom probably still has no idea what to do with Resident Evil anymore.

Sadist

I'd totally want a game where Becky and Billy bump into each other again.

Billy would look like Matthew McCounahaheyhey in True Detective. Time is a flat circle.

And ewww, Operation Raccoon City. I got as a free Steam key, but man that was painful to play. I still remember playing the game, dying, turn into a zombie, die again and being revived as a living person again. Laughed so hard. Terrible cashgrab.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Every so often I remember that Umbrella Corps is still coming out and that Capcom probably still has no idea what to do with Resident Evil anymore.

Except for the fact Umbrella Corps is a spin-off and, in my personal opinion, seems like an interesting game. And the fact that Capcpom is also making RE2make and releasing an RE6 up-port, and most likely RE7. Seems to me they know exactly what to do with Resident Evil, actually.

News Bot

Banned

There are no plot holes. No real retcons either, for that matter. It's not "arbitrary" logic, it's just logic. And people looking for something to complain about instead of being able to accept two disconnected facets of a game on an individual basis. It wouldn't be a fun game if they stuck to the logic and rules outlined in the story. Likewise, it wouldn't be a very compelling story if it used the logic and rules of the gameplay.

No version of BIO1 is canon. What say you to that? BIO2's canon is a mixture of all four scenarios that is only defined by later games and supplemental material. BIO3 and GS are player-determined and the player's choices even affect character development. This series was never a linear story and it has always had two brands of logic. Then there's the insurmountable pile of artbooks, guidebooks, DVD books, writer statements etc that are not only all canon, but are taken from the same source material as the game, since it's all written in scenario and planning documents first.

Jawmuncher

I wouldn't mind the idea of a good guy BOW if it was kept limited. Like in Resident Evil Apocalypse due to the origins there. I didn't mind him trying to be a good guy in his final moments.

Arttemis

Not directing this personally at you as loads of people say this, but I just don't see this. But I also firmly believe the fixed camera angles are integral to that old school survival horror RE experience.

I also don't see that at all. Virtually every aspect of the experience differs from Resident Evil; the tone, mechanics, story, visuals, and even basic pacing of the game are widely distinct. The only similarity is third person action against zombies, but there's more to RE than that.

I don't see how it's so hard to understand. You scrounge post apocalyptic areas looking for ammunition and supplies such as bandages instead of herbs. You're not always able to shoot everything because ammo is limited. You run into survivors along the way, fight a couple bosses, upgrade your weapons, and continue. TLoU has faster paced enemies than the classic RE games, but they're not that different from RE4 non-zombies. Replace the simplistic traversal sections with old school puzzles and the games are almost identical. There's just outright more survival elements in the gameplay of TLoU than there are in RE5 and 6, where tons of enemies just bubble away and dissolve into ammunition.

I'm not saying they should copy TLoU, but I genuinely wish Capcom would back off from whatever the hell their agenda has been for this series over the last decade and create something more grounded and focused on survival.

Furthermore, I don't really care about the camera angle. Survival horror needs survival elements first and foremost, and the horror sections can come from environmental and enemy design, which is not dependent on a static camera. Sure, I like the design of the classic RE games, but if they don't sell as well as third person games, I'll gladly take a successful survival horror game series that way than none at all.

Neff

Revelations 2 is basically the RE version of The Last of Us and the similarities to classic RE are still pretty remote.

Backtracking and the selective use of specific keys and key items is a huge part of classic RE, which barely factors into TLoU at all. The one time I ever felt this aspect of RE in TLoU was when I had to go looking for the keycard in the hotel basement, and I wouldn't consider the shiv doors similar either, as they're closer to Dead Space's Power Node doors in that you're merely trading resources (if you have them) for a better return.

kogasu

And ewww, Operation Raccoon City. I got as a free Steam key, but man that was painful to play. I still remember playing the game, dying, turn into a zombie, die again and being revived as a living person again. Laughed so hard. Terrible cashgrab.

Ugh yeah... I remember trying to play it solo for the first few missions and the AI squad mates would not fucking stop running around. I remember being in that library section or whatever with all of the tripwire explosives. Well my idiot squad mates sure took care of those by running right in to them!! : /

I eventually went online to play it but I couldn't really be bothered to finish it mehh.

Bergerac

I would wager it's not the exact enemy type or how it 'came to be' that is the deep seated reason in his statement, it's the level of REmake's gameplay. The new enemy could have been anything, for any reason, so long as it brought similar 'stay dead' mechanics or something substantially extra to do, or to avoid.

The reason Crimson Heads are beloved is for what they represented - a secret gameplay shakeup that added extra dynamics to killing zombies, much like Hunters were the shakeup of OGRE. The Mimicry Marcus' in 0 were just another enemy best dealt with particular ammunition and you encountered it almost immediately with no secrecy.

Crimson Heads embodied 'SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKER'.

Rather than seeing Crimson Heads specifically coming back in RE2Make, I'd rather see an equivalent mechanic that'd dig deeper into the Zapping System - even more so if RE3 is included as part of the game as I hope. Choices that make life easier for one character at the cost of making it harder for another character would be great, while Crimson Heads specifically wouldn't work so well since RE2/3 both have much less backtracking than the original game.

Sadist

Talking about Crimson Heads and Operation Racoon City, man the Crimson Heads in that game were stupid. After reanimating they were having trouble finding the door and started running in circles. Shit was hilarious.

Seyavesh

I would wager it's not the exact enemy type or how it 'came to be' that is the deep seated reason in his statement, it's the level of REmake's gameplay. The new enemy could have been anything, for any reason, so long as it brought similar 'stay dead' mechanics or something substantially extra to do, or to avoid.

The reason Crimson Heads are beloved is for what they represented - a secret gameplay shakeup that added extra dynamics to killing zombies, much like Hunters were the shakeup of OGRE. The Mimicry Marcus' in 0 were just another enemy best dealt with particular ammunition and you encountered it almost immediately with no secrecy.

Crimson Heads embodied 'SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKER'.

yep, this is one of the big reasons why i wondered if they'd bring them back for re2 remake- it's not really the same if you see them and go 'oh hey crimson heads again'
someone mentioned maybe using the BOW gas to effect and i think that's probably what's gonna happen- the BOW gas will make a ton of new enemy types that are really dangerous rather than re-introducing crimson heads making stronger enemies
but that's a somewhat optional thing so even that doesn't have the same impact, i think

The BOW gas kinda already has that effect but takes place much too late in the RE2 story to have much effect on the entire thing. It also doesn't really do a lot to benefit the Scenario A player or to hurt the Scenario B player too much. If anything, the plant enemies (few as they are) are dumb as hell and should be eliminated in favor of something else.

Dusk Golem

Rather than seeing Crimson Heads specifically coming back in RE2Make, I'd rather see an equivalent mechanic that'd dig deeper into the Zapping System - even more so if RE3 is included as part of the game as I hope. Choices that make life easier for one character at the cost of making it harder for another character would be great, while Crimson Heads specifically wouldn't work so well since RE2/3 both have much less backtracking than the original game.

They can have more than one mechanic certainly, the Zapping mechanic is obviously important to RE2. I suggested this in a previous RE2 thread, but if they wanted something like Crimson Heads that are not Crimson Heads of a sort, the G-Virus could see some expansion. You meet a fairly limited selection of G-Virus infected monsters in RE2 originally (the two possible G-monsters Claire can meet in her A & B scenario as the first boss, William Birkin), but the G-Virus is supposed to be a virus that regenerates and mutates further upon 'death', that could definitely be toyed with.

Junahu

There are loads of small mechanics that could be expanded on in a REmake2. There's the shutter system for example, where you can barricade one of the hallways to prevent zombies breaking in. I'd love to see that idea fleshed out a little more, so that the player could expend resources to protect certain areas of the precinct from invasion.

They could also expand on the Mr X encounters to make them a little more dynamic. Perhaps make it similar to Nemesis, who would chase you through several rooms at a time. But since Mr X is far slower, balance it so that he never really gives up the chase, and continues to move between rooms even when you're not in them.

Dusk Golem

There are loads of small mechanics that could be expanded on in a REmake2. There's the shutter system for example, where you can barricade one of the hallways to prevent zombies breaking in. I'd love to see that idea fleshed out a little more, so that the player could expend resources to protect certain areas of the precinct from invasion.

They could also expand on the Mr X encounters to make them a little more dynamic. Perhaps make it similar to Nemesis, who would chase you through several rooms at a time. But since Mr X is far slower, balance it so that he never really gives up the chase, and continues to move between rooms even when you're not in them.

Yup, a lot that can be expanded, and a lot that could be inserted back in due to 1.5. I hope they expand some of the later locations, and locations like the Sewers and Factory had rooms never seen in 1.5 as it is.

Top Bottom