• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*Spoiler* Grand Theft Auto V map leaked *Spoiler*

GQman2121

Banned
People keep saying it, but I don't see it. I see one city and a bunch of speed tree. It might be big on a technical point of view but it might also be empty and uninteresting. I've played Fuel. Making it so it takes 90 minutes to drive from one end of the map to the other isn't impressive to me if all there is to do in between urban areas is laugh at some billboards and listen to the radio. I'm not the only one, either.

Go hunting bro. Or base jumping. Or take photos. Get creative and make your own fun.

Tourmeta

Size illuminator!
Credit to: http://www.reddit.com/r/GrandTheftA...spoiler_for_those_who_think_the_map_is_small/

1378822017-9999954.jpg

bud

People keep saying it, but I don't see it. I see one city and a bunch of speed tree. It might be big on a technical point of view but it might also be empty and uninteresting. I've played Fuel. Making it so it takes 90 minutes to drive from one end of the map to the other isn't impressive to me if all there is to do in between urban areas is laugh at some billboards and listen to the radio. I'm not the only one, either.

agreed. san andreas might not be the best comparison to make here since it's a nine year old game, but there was very little to do outside of the city areas. however, if the soundtrack is on the same level as vice city's, i can see why it'd be fun to just drive around while listening to the radio.

still, though, the map itself doesn't look too interesting.

Annubis

I hope that driving feels nice, otherwise traveling that far will be a pain in the ass =/

(I didn't like 4's driving)

Albo

I was just beginning to forget about the ninja turtle until I noticed more people replying to the original poster about how they can't stop unseeing it.

Anyway,map looks fantastic. Three runways, including a fort *Kreygasm*. Hope there's a way to travel quickly from the north country to the south city. Planes or some form of fast travel would be great.

edit: actually on further inspection that senora freeway looks like a quick and easy way to town, while you enjoy the sights in a fast car. The two airports in the midlle of the map also aren't as far to the north as I initially thought. Looks well designed.

jacobs34

Can't wait to see what kinds of epic off road races the community drums up for GTA online. They have a lot to work with here.

While Los Santos is huge it's still kind of disappointing that there is only 1 city. You lose that 2nd and 3rd city feel. Where you cover a distance through wilderness then come up to a 2nd big city.

mclem

While Los Santos is huge it's still kind of disappointing that there is only 1 city. You lose that 2nd and 3rd city feel. Where you cover a distance through wilderness then come up to a 2nd big city.

While I agree in part, I think the small towns will do a lot for that - I loved coming to places separated from the main city in SA.

hal9001

Banned

Maybe they have plans for future DLC expansion into new island/city.

Is anyone else concerned about how small the city looks? I mean, how many animals can you hunt before all of that wilderness gets boring?

Anyone else share this feeling?

Gadirok

I'm kind of underwhelmed to be honest.

But this is coming from someone who had unrealistic expectations following the openness of Just Cause 2.

But I imagine its going to be more packed with more things to do like in Red Dead Redemption. The thing about Red Dead Redemption was the scale. I'm not driving a car to get from point A to point B so things move much slower. The map was also justly sized for that game. It was more than enough space for what it did.

Is anyone else concerned about how small the city looks? I mean, how many animals can you hunt before all of that wilderness gets boring?

Anyone else share this feeling?

Well, more or less I imagine the hunting to play similarly to Red Dead Redemption. Sometimes you got to go out of your way to get some lil' creatures out there.

I actually welcome it, I don't imagine that the wilderness is the same thing over and over again. I imagine it to be inspired by RDR, with little monuments and things here and there.

Gangxxter

The SA comparison is way off, SA is about half of the size of V.

Those mountains are really huge. I hoped for more roads and smaller towns in the countryside though. Looks like most of it is just (boring) wilderness.

But don't let me be so quick on judging the game. Can't wait for the first reviews.

I mean unless the city is super dense and that map is incredibly big, I just don't see a warrant for all of that wilderness in a Grand Theft Auto title. It made sense in Red Dead, but it just seems like a lazy effort or a constraint due to the hardware.

Derrick01

Banned
Just Cause 2's map was too big. Impressive to travel around but then you realize it has about 300 settlements that are all the same tiny layout and almost nothing to do in it except blow the same ~20 types of military stuff up in each of them and do the occasional race.

Rockstar said it's bigger than SA, IV, and RDR combined anyway. I trust em.

They're likely including the skybox and the explorable ocean in that statement. The land itself is still going to be huge though.

Grief.exe

Just Cause 2's map was too big. Impressive to travel around but then you realize it has about 300 settlements that are all the same tiny layout and almost nothing to do in it except blow the same ~20 types of military stuff up in each of them and do the occasional race.

That is the point I dropped JC2.

i know that. but there's a lot of ocean where the other parts of the state should be.

i understand from a gaming point of view. from a "lore" point of view, i'm just confused

My thoughts exactly.

I understand it from a gaming point of view, but from an immersion standpoint its quite ridiculous.

Ahasverus

I mean unless the city is super dense and that map is incredibly big, I just don't see a warrant for all of that wilderness in a Grand Theft Auto title. It made sense in Red Dead, but it just seems like a lazy effort or a constraint due to the hardware.

I'd take a medium sized city, towns and wilderness over GTA IV booring liberty city any time of the day

Gadirok

Pshaw, that's child's play.

Hopefully this means the world won't be as barren as JC2's was in spots.

Also Jesus fucking Christ Fuel's map is big.

I don't remember Nightfall being that massive. I recall playing through it and it was fairly large. I just don't recall it being that large.

and JC2 isin't as boring as people make it out to be. I view it as a benchmark. Given the amount of ways you can travel its all the more fun and worthwhile to go through.

The best part is when I take a plane and go outside of the map, it becames an endless ocean and I got so far away from the island that it would have taken me 10 minutes to get back to the island on boat. Had to call in the black-market to extract me back to the island. Yes, its large but its beautifully crafted.

Top Bottom