• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eidos hacked by rogue Anonymous

RustyNails said:
I'm gonna bill this as Anonymous Defense: "We are anonymous, a shadow organization that defends liberty and freedom of information, except we also have douchebags who do stupid stuff but don't look at them, they are not real anonymous!" A member from anonymous hacks some website, but he's a rogue individual unless sanctioned by anonymous organizers; the guys who do the "we do not forgive, we dont forget" crap, organize DDoS takedowns, etc. But the organizers of this association are retarded for that reason itself, the association prides itself for being anonymous (adjective, not the cesspool). Do you see where the trap is? I'll make it more clear. There can be no plausible deniability when it comes to attacks originating from anon. Anonymous organizers are shooting themselves in their faces when they say "um doods we don't know what happens maybe some rogue anon guy did it!" That's the entire point of your stupid website, you doofuses!!

There is no such thing as "anonymous organizers". It started as a joke on 4chan /b/ because everybody who posts has the name "anonymous". It's a grass-roots organization with no figureheads. When "anonymous" does one thing it isn't the same as the one that did the last thing that was attributed to "anonymous", or the time before that, or the time before that.

Anybody can claim to be "anonymous", and there cannot ever be any sort of verification because there is no membership or identity to begin with. So when someone does something and uses anon as a convenient scapegoat, the best anybody on 4ch can do is shrug their shoulders and say "wasn't me".

Honestly, blaming Anon is about as useful as Hitler blaming his failures on Killroy.

Can't we just gather all the hackers in the world, cast them off to another planet that has it's own giant multi-story basement and let them hack each other (with tech or axes, whichever they so please)? They'd all be on the same playing field, it'd be their own little perfect society and the rest of us won't have to become embroiled in their bullshit antics anymore.

Acquiescence said:
Can't we just gather all the hackers in the world, cast them off to another planet that has it's own giant multi-story basement and let them hack each other (with tech or axes, whichever they so please)? They'd all be on the same playing field, it'd be their own little perfect society and the rest of us won't have to become embroiled in their bullshit antics anymore.

Are we going to be shipping anybody with the requisite knowledge, or have you invented a machine that detects "hackerness"?

Zeal

Banned
This is what people do who suck too much to play Demon's Souls.

Hack all you want, you still fail at life.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
What a crappy hacker. If your going to hack do it properly. Owned by Chippy1337? Apart from being one of the worst online handles imaginable, the results were lacklustre. You had the power to do what you wanted and you post a little "Gary was Here, Ash is a loser" post-it note. Post a annoying lopping flash video so that visitors can at least enjoy a laugh or if you're feeling malicious post something on the level of guro. Oh and never ever use the word 'lulz' ever again. This is of course referring to the forum, which you'd hope has better security than an InvisionFree board. Stealing customer details is a no no.

Also people thinking anonymous is an identity really makes me question humanity's intelligence. Over night people have forgotten what the bloody word anonymous means.

itxaka

Defeatist
Hackers gonna hack
CrvXa.jpg

Galvanise_ said:
The data wouldn't be lost if the fuckers didn't hack the system to begin with.
Someone's always going to hack man.

When you give your money to a bank, you expect them to put it in the vault, not leave it in the dumpster out back.

witness

WTF did Eidos ever do? Seriously, go after some fucking evil corporations who are destroying our planet or countries that have a dictator treating his people like shit.

DiscoJer said:
While I was reading up on seizures at Wikipedia (thanks a thread here about it, actually), I saw apparently Anonymous hacked (?) the forums of a epilepsy support group and posted gifs that caused seizures...

http://www.news.com.au/technology/a...ilepsy-sufferers/story-e6frfro0-1111115935811

http://www.wired.com/politics/security/news/2008/03/epilepsy

Sheesh, pretty low.
must be the closest anyone's ever come to actually reaching through the internet and punching someone in the face

googleplex said:
It still blows my mind when I think about how many here on Gaf where defending this scum.

And it still blows my mind how uninformed many here on Gaf are when posting about hacking or hackers in general, lumping every one together, declaring them criminals from the get go and asking for punitive measurements that wouldn't be dealt out to child molesters.

GeekyDad

boris feinbrand said:
And it still blows my mind how uninformed many here on Gaf are when posting about hacking or hackers in general, lumping every one together, declaring them criminals from the get go and asking for punitive measurements that wouldn't be dealt out to child molesters.

You're playing the "child molester" card?

Are these acts not criminal? Yes, they are. No one has to lump these guys and gals together. 'Tis what it is...

What it should represent, though, is just how unprotected information on the Internet truly is. We have a crisis on our hands, and baby hackers are really the least of our worries. We should be thanking them for showing us just how vulnerable we really are.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Eidos you incompetent idiots. All your fault!

That was sarcasm incase you didn't notice.

Yeah, its stupid that hacking happens.

1-D_FTW

I really hope the Sony breakin causes Congress to crack down and really ups the severity of penalties for this shit.

SykoTech

I miss the days when I could just ignore "hackers vs _____" topics because they didn't affect me as a gamer.

Really hope this has no affect on Arkham City. Probably won't since WB is publishing this time.

Grakl

Rogue anonymous? What does this mean - somebody who broke off from the hacker collective Anonymous? How is this determined?

Anyways, how do people define what Anonymous is, besides happening to blame them for every major hack on video game publishers/PSN/whatever?

GeekyDad said:
You're playing the "child molester" card?

Are these acts not criminal? Yes, they are. No one has to lump these guys and gals together. 'Tis what it is...

What it should represent, though, is just how unprotected information on the Internet truly is. We have a crisis on our hands, and baby hackers are really the least of our worries. We should be thanking them for showing us just how vulnerable we really are.

I'm not the one here that insinuates that they are commiting a fellony. People are demanding life sentences for some hacking. The way many treat this issue here is ridiculous.
Yes, information security has to get better on the internet, but let me ask you this: Does an insurance company have to pay you compensation when you left your house open and the doors unlocked. Because from an IT security standpoint a lot of online services are unlocked doors.

Most hacking today is bascically called for. Piss poor security measures leave personal information out in the open, carelessly and in violation of privacy laws. You are right, we should be thankfull that these small time hacking jobs create awareness about how piss poor corporations handle sensitive data and how ignorant they are about our consumer and privacy rights.

There is no excuse for corporations like Sony, Eidos or Gawker to have such piss poor security policies.
1-D_FTW said:
I really hope the Sony breakin causes Congress to crack down and really ups the severity of penalties for this shit.
Yeah, as well as upping the penalty for corporations being careless and irresponsible with sensible data.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Eidos you incompetent idiots. All your fault!

That was sarcasm incase you didn't notice.

Yeah, its stupid that hacking happens.
of course it's eidos' fault when hackers are able to find anything worth stealing

RPGCrazied

Why can't we find these people? Are they really that untraceable? Even the FBI and others? That sure doesn't make me feel safe.

Dizzle24

Congrats on being cyber-terrorists, you douchebags.

Seriously, these people watched "Hackers" one too many times.
Stealing info from a company and releasing private files, especially CC info and the like, is fucking stupid.

What a bunch of assholes.

Londa

Banned
What do they have to gain by hacking the site? Steal some games? 9000 peoples information is now stolen for god know what they will do with it. Are people really this far gone to support these low lifes?

Londa said:
What do they have to gain by hacking the site? Steal some games? 9000 peoples information is now stolen for god know what they will do with it. Are people really this far gone to support these low lifes?
what are you saying, who are you referring to?

Londa said:

Who is supporting them?

Political discussion of Anonymous aside, what are the implications of the breach here? Résumés? Okay, not too worried. 'Src' data that may or may not be source code for games? Merits clarification to determine whether or not anything of value is in there. User data? What kind of user data? They talked about selling data. What's worth selling in the aforementioned data?

Steve Youngblood said:
Political discussion of Anonymous aside, what are the implications of the breach here? Résumés? Okay, not too worried. 'Src' data that may or may not be source code for games? Merits clarification to determine whether or not anything of value is in there. User data? What kind of user data? They talked about selling data. What's worth selling in the aforementioned data?

Well a resume basically has all your relevant data in it. That's about the worst attack against privacy you can suffer. For over 9000 (geez) people this means that their names, adresses, email, personal information about education, prior employment etc etc is now at the whim of some little shit who brags about hacking a site with calling himself chippy1337.

boris feinbrand said:
Well a resume basically has all your relevant data in it. That's about the worst attack against privacy you can suffer. For over 9000 (geez) people this means that their names, adresses, email, personal information about education, prior employment etc etc is now at the whim of some little shit who brags about hacking a site with calling himself chippy1337.
It has biographical data, yes, and contact information that may or may not be up to date. For instance, if people hacked into my office's database system that contained our résumés (the one that we don't have), they'd have my name, previous work experience, education, and a mailing address, email address, and phone number that are no longer accurate. I mean, it's something, sure, but I'm far more paranoid about financial getting out than some random schmuck getting their hands on my résumé. After all, when I was on the job hunt, I was quite liberal with making sure that it got out there for any and all companies that were hiring to see.

Everyone can call himself anonymous, that's the whole joke.
If I shit on my neighbours lawn while wearing a guy fawkes mask I can later claim anonymous did it.
The whole anonymous thing started when fox news missreported there was a terrorist organisation called anonymous, because they didn't get the concept of an anonymous message board like 4chan.

Top Bottom