• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming July 2017 | A day late, and 32 bits short

Those of you interested in Grand Strategy:

Realpolitiks Mobile by Jujubee
https://appsto.re/us/MMiZjb.i
Cool

This comment peaked my interest
Just to say I brought this on a whim and am actually really enjoying it, certainly worth a try. The countries due all seem quite bland and similar at first but the game is packed full of events that completely change the world and lead to all sorts of fun what if scenarios.

In one game a unified Western Yugoslavia formed and then an Eastern Yugoslavia also formed and they began a low level war that dragged lots of people in. China finally purged itself of the ROC and began a huge island building campaign changing the scope of globe itself. I led a successful Brittianio-Scandanavian bloc until a sex scandal rocked my government and it fell to pieces. Imagine there’s loads more to discover as different countries too.

There’s also a scenario set in 2055 after a WW3 and that has loads of scripted events too leading to a completely different flavour.

PittaGAF

Despite being super busy and whenever I have few free seconds I just play Race to the Galaxy....I'm FINALLY downloading a proper Layton on my iPhone.

Feels like a dream come true.
I really hope people screaming for premium games past years moaning over f2p will put the money on the table (even if I'm not that sure it will happen).

Raptisoft is still alive?!? I need more Solomon's Keep!

Gonna be great. Played the beta and really enjoyed it. Fast paced, easy to understand hard to master. Great game which I actually like more than Care Thief.
Speaking of card thief, have they done anything with the trash yet? I haven't played in a while but I read a while back that trash was just a placeholder for future content.

PittaGAF

Speaking of card thief, have they done anything with the trash yet? I haven't played in a while but I read a while back that trash was just a placeholder for future content.

Soon they will update the game with new content (now in testing) that will add new thieves with special abilities and contracts you can hire using 'trash'.

Meanwhile Layton is glorious.
A true Layton, it plays wonderfully on iOS.

Soon they will update the game with new content (now in testing) that will add new thieves with special abilities and contracts you can hire using 'trash'.

Meanwhile Layton is glorious.
A true Layton, it plays wonderfully on iOS.
Awesome thanks. I'm gonna get Layton today. This one caught me by surprise. Hadn't been following it at all.

awp69

I just wanna know what it looks like on iPad.

One complaint I read in a Destructoid review in progress is that the game emulates the double screen of a 3DS in portrait but when a cutscene comes on, it flips to a video in widescreen. Guess this is a little more cumbersome when having to keep flipping an iPad.

That said, all the other things I’ve read about it have been quite positive.

Ketch

Questions about a couple of these releases:

How is the tutorial in real politics? Like, will I actually be able to play this game?

How easy is it to get stuck in full throttle? I like the wadjet eye games because they're pretty smooth from start to finish. But I'm really not into chickens with pulleys in the middle if you know what I mean.

Questions about a couple of these releases:

How is the tutorial in real politics? Like, will I actually be able to play this game?

How easy is it to get stuck in full throttle? I like the wadjet eye games because they're pretty smooth from start to finish. But I'm really not into chickens with pulleys in the middle if you know what I mean.
I havent played Realpolitiks yet, but a few Steam reviews say it's a good game to introduce yourself to grand strategy. So I imagine it might be good for what you're looking for

I got into the genre with Crusader Kings 2 and it took me three times for it to finally click. This seems much less complex from what I've read and see

PittaGAF

I just wanna know what it looks like on iPad.

It looks fantastic imho.
I'll play more on iPad today and eventually report, but looked glorious to me.
Played (2 hours) mainly on iPhone but I discovered it syncs progresses so I was able to continue on the larger screen (via Level5 account, manually...you can even sync Android and iOS I guess).

One complaint I read in a Destructoid review in progress is that the game emulates the double screen of a 3DS in portrait but when a cutscene comes on, it flips to a video in widescreen. Guess this is a little more cumbersome when having to keep flipping an iPad.

That said, all the other things I’ve read about it have been quite positive.

It's not bad imho.
You can choose anyway if watching cutscenes on landscape or portrait so if it bothers you you won't have to flip the device.

The only weird thing I noticed is that despite the game being completely dubbed in several languages, I can't seem to be able to disable subtitles.
A very minor thing...and that's the only con I found so far in an incredibly triple A polished game.
Oh....and it has a super slow, ultra long and verbose tutorial...but that's a staple of the serie.
The characters are ADORABLE.

Now if it has the success it deserves....I'm looking forward NINOKUNI and INAZUMA ELEVEN

EDIT: One super cool thing I've just noticed it that the actual in game scenes, the ones where you explore the are with the magnifying glass, are in 3D, and it's a very very cool effect.

I found the first golden nut in Red's Kingdom and unlocked the first (of two) end game areas. I know this was covered in previous threads (and my searching through those threads brought the game to my attention) but the game really is incredible. Probably the only game I ever truly enjoyed backtracking in. Moving around the world highlights just how well designed the puzzles and rooms are.

My only complaint is the puzzles were a tad too easy so I hope the new areas are more challenging. I'm disappointed I didn't see a speedrun on youtube. Between knowing the puzzle solutions and some clever routeing I bet you can fly through the game. If I had a better PC I'd buy the game on steam and try my hand at speedrunning it on twitch.

Grudy

Been enjoying phoenix 2 again but this demotion system is annoying. B league is so easy but when I miss a day in A league, I get demoted to B and I have to wait a whole day to have some challenge again.

I just downloaded steredenn to try it out. Phoenix 2 is nice but I'm looking for a more old school shmup with super weapons and pick ups and super bosses. It has to be a replayable game though, I'm not too interested in one-playthrough games on iOS. Any suggestions?

mdb

Neo Member
Hey guys!

It’s been a while since I’ve made a post here on Gaf. After Heroki, we’ve worked in collaboration with Christian Whitehead, Headcanon and Pagodawest Games on Sonic Mania and today I can proudly share the teaser trailer of our latest game Monomals with you:

Monomals_ConceptArt.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZy73BDDKtg

The gameplay at this point is pretty still a tease but we’ll reveal more information in the upcoming months :)

Thanks for checking out guys!

Matt Frost

Been enjoying phoenix 2 again but this demotion system is annoying. B league is so easy but when I miss a day in A league, I get demoted to B and I have to wait a whole day to have some challenge again.

I just downloaded steredenn to try it out. Phoenix 2 is nice but I'm looking for a more old school shmup with super weapons and pick ups and super bosses. It has to be a replayable game though, I'm not too interested in one-playthrough games on iOS. Any suggestions?

Danmaku Unlimited 2... has it all, super weapon, super bosses, replayability, upgrades... updated for 64bitd and premium. And the third is coming soon as well and available right now on Steam

Hey guys!

It’s been a while since I’ve made a post here on Gaf. After Heroki, we’ve worked in collaboration with Christian Whitehead, Headcanon and Pagodawest Games on Sonic Mania and today I can proudly share the teaser trailer of our latest game Monomals with you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZy73BDDKtg

The gameplay at this point is pretty still a tease but we’ll reveal more information in the upcoming months :)

Thanks for checking out guys!

Artwork and both characters looks awesome

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™

I love Operation Dracula. Fantastic Shmup and tough as nails. Truly bullet Hell.....

Grudy

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Man, PPKP is a great little game with an absolutely shitty energy system. The timer is just garbage. Why do great games ruin themselves like this? 15 minutes is way too much.

Oynox

Man, PPKP is a great little game with an absolutely shitty energy system. The timer is just garbage. Why do great games ruin themselves like this? 15 minutes is way too much.

It gets a bit better later because levels get longer. But yeah, it is a great little game hindered by its F2P parts.

I am playing it nonetheless as well currently.

Another great free gem this week was Brainful a very, very kind of reaction, mind game. Supported by ads which are removable.

awp69

Since I know there’s several PS4 players here, I’ll just say that Pyre is amazing. Blend of RPG, visual novel and sport-like combat. There’s nothing quite like it.

Although the dev’s other games - Bastion and Transistor - made it to mobile, not sure if this one would work so well in the sport/combat action. But who knows?

Since I know there’s several PS4 players here, I’ll just say that Pyre is amazing. Blend of RPG, visual novel and sport-like combat. There’s nothing quite like it.

Although the dev’s other games - Bastion and Transistor - made it to mobile, not sure if this one would work so well in the sport/combat action. But who knows?
It seems way too action focused to work well on mobile compared to even Bastion

But yeah, it's amazing and completely unique

awp69

Just downloaded this to test it after you posted. Works just fine for me on PB3.

Really? That’s weird. I’m on PB3 too and just deleted and redownloaded. Still crashing. Also checked to see if maybe it needed more space on my iPhone 6 Plus and I offloaded some stuff to have almost 3 GB free so that shouldn’t be an issue. Know some games need free space for memory swapping or something.

EDIT: I was wrong. Didn’t realize that I was on PB2 when I checked and that it was just telling me that PB3 was available (not sure why I hadn’t gotten a notification previously).

Anyway, downloaded PB3 and now it works. Guess there must have been some more compatibility fixes in it.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Strangely doesn’t work for me even but did get a TA link to work. Might be something funky with Safari on iOS 11.

I’ll try to get some time to play it tonight. Hopefully the F2P is reasonable.
Yeah seems iOS 11 is a little finicky with iTunes URLs. 3D touch doesn't work but long press > menu > "Open in App Store" worked for me just now.

pronk420

Is the wish list gone in the iOS 11 AppStore? I was using it to keep track of games I wanted to pick up eventually but not right away, but I can’t find it anywhere in the new AppStore.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Is the wish list gone in the iOS 11 AppStore? I was using it to keep track of games I wanted to pick up eventually but not right away, but I can't find it anywhere in the new AppStore.

Yes, they might re-add it under the new Profile section eventually, but for now it's not included.

Try: https://itunes.apple.com/app/wishlist/id1229495537

This works via URL pasting or searching, and it actually has customisation for price drop notifications.

I'm wondering a bit why Touch Arcade or other apps like those that track apps haven't done this, since it's something Apple is fine with.

Top Bottom