• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jet Set Radio coming to xbla/psn? Very fake, hype threat level: Green.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
100% bought if this is real. I won't hold my breath though as unlike the other confirmed DC games, this won't be a simple case of porting over the PC version and sticking some trophies/achievements on it.

mollipen

I'd love for this to be true, but I won't be devastated if it isn't - Future was the better game, even if OMG TEH POLICES WEREN'T THREATS!!

Seriously, though, I'll have way more interest in this if this is real IF Sega fixed the trick combo counter in the game, and then maybe added in leaderboards to each stage for longest combo. If they did that, it would give whole new life to the game. I know they'd never go that far, but seriously, at least fix the fucking combo counter that's already in the game.

MechaX

S1kkZ said:
phantasy star online (dc version) with xbl support please.

Given how I still kick myself for missing out on PSO to this day, I would pay for a Gold account if this happened.

As for the topic, I'd be quite happy if it did come to XBLA. I love both JSR games unconditionally.

Lijik

I literally just bought a used dreamcast a week ago so I could replay my copy of this game.

Will gladly double dip if this is true :D

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Shaheed79 said:
Who cares about Jet Set Radio? Now if you were talking about Jet GRIND Radio then I would be excited.

*PicardFacepalm.jpg*

Japan: De La Jet Set Radio
Eurpoe: Jet Set Radio
US, due to "Jet Set Radio" being trademarked: Jet GRIND Radio.

SAME FUCKING GAME, but the proper title is Jet Set Radio. (just like Biohazard is the proper title for Resident Evil */Anal*)

Xav

I'd probably pass on this if Sega did do it, I've got the original on Dreamcast and it already looks pretty good via my VGA box.

Diablohead said:
When did my console turn into the DreamcastBox 360?

Biggest problem here is who is porting it and how much effort? sonic adventure xbla looks shit so far and can't even go what a year old computer can do with a few file edits like 720p 60fps increased draw distance.. we get 640x480 30fps on the 360!

I don't know who ported SA to XBLA, but it's a fucking mess from what I've read. It has pieces of original code and assets from the Gamecube, PC, and Dreamcast versions.

Ten-Song

Strike said:
http://i29.tinypic.com/5ydu7d.gif

Fixed that for you just to help keep expectations in check (even though I'm assuming this is fake news anyways).

1zef9cz.gif

Jacobi

Banned
Jet Set Radio is my favorite game of all time. I've played through it 12 times, 4 times actually on an emulator (looks great as hell). I'd appreciate this port with full force

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
I remember Future more fondly, but I need to replay both titles. Amazing series, that should have been more popular.

Fugu

Here's a breakdown of the versions of Jet Set Radio for those who are otherwise unaware...

Jet Set Radio [JP]
Original DC version only released in Japan. Lacks the two grind city levels and accompanying songs.

Jet Set Radio [PAL], Jet Grind Radio [US]
Second version of the game, called Jet Set Radio in the PAL region and Jet Grind Radio in the US (If I recall the naming was a marketing decision). These versions have the grind city levels and a few extra songs. The terms Jet Set Radio and Jet Grind Radio (and corresponding acronyms) generally refer to this version.

De La (Deluxe) Jet Set Radio [JP]
Third version, a re-release for the Japanese market with the inclusion of the (absent in the original Japanese release) grind city levels. Differentiating it from the US JGR/PAL JSR are several bug fixes (Most notably to the camera) and text language localization.

Jet Set Radio Future [US, PAL, JP]
A drastically different game with a different soundtrack, no graffiti control, different level layouts (as well as no grind city), and no police. Its existence is disputed.

I like both Jet Set Radio and Jet Set Radio Future equally, for different reasons. My ideal Jet Set Radio game would combine what made both games great into one spectacular package. Off to play JSRF on 360 now, since my Dreamcast isn't hooked up.

Fugu

Dead Man Typing said:
I like both Jet Set Radio and Jet Set Radio Future equally, for different reasons. My ideal Jet Set Radio game would combine what made both games great into one spectacular package. Off to play JSRF on 360 now, since my Dreamcast isn't hooked up.
Just curious, what about Future do you like more?

Lespedeza

Banned
Just wanted to chime in, and say I'm in the (small) camp that liked Future better, still both are on my list of favorites so I (cautiously) welcome this news.

Lespedeza

Banned
Dead Man Typing said:
OFT!

Would be very excited if this turns out to be true.

I also preferred JSR to JSRF. I preferred the music, the look and the graffiti control. The time limit and escalating police presence within the maps gave it a layer of strategy that was missing from JSRF. JSRF also had too many long easy rail grinds. In JSR if you did a long grind it was because you'd mastered the controls and learnt the maps. I never got that feeling of mastery in JSRF because it was too easy to grind over half the map.

Fugu said:
Jet Set Radio [PAL], Jet Grind Radio [US]
Second version of the game, called Jet Set Radio in the PAL region and Jet Grind Radio in the US (If I recall the naming was a marketing decision). These versions have the grind city levels and a few extra songs. The terms Jet Set Radio and Jet Grind Radio (and corresponding acronyms) generally refer to this version.

Jet Set Radio PAL and Jet Grind Radio also have slightly different music tracks; the wretched metal music is only on Grind, and instead PAL Set has different music that actually fits the game on those levels

Fugu said:
Just curious, what about Future do you like more?

Speed of movement combined with the larger levels and connected hub world game design. All the levels being self contained, yet connected gave the world a real sense of place. Mission variety was also greater in the second game.

It felt like a good evolution of the first game's formula. Taking away the danger and trying to keep the pace high by removing the analogue graffiti tagging were probably mistakes in retrospect, but they were designed to help the game flow and allow more casual players to just have fun. I'd say it succeeded, even though the hardcore fans will no doubt disagree.

There's a place for everything from both games to be rolled into the perfect Jet Set Radio 2. Sega just needs to get the band back together and let them go for it.

Dead Man Typing said:
My ideal Jet Set Radio game would combine what made both games great into one spectacular package.
Pretty much. Going back to it now, JSR is very slow...slower than I remember it ever feeling upon release...and the jumping, in particular, has a bit of latency that you have to account for that is a bit annoying. Marrying the constant threat of police, military, or rival gangs from JSR with the massive platform-y, interconnected city levels of JSRF and refine and deepen the too-simple trick/boost system, and you've got one hell of a game. Increasing the average skate speed a little more would be fun, too.

Too bad there isn't much chance in a real followup... Today, the whole game could be one contiguous world with distinct districts populated with AIs that could be tracked and roam across zones freely. Would be pretty interesting if coupled with a simple, but manual rotate/pitch control over facing direction while on surfaces and inside of jumps to add a little more to challenge of grinding and platforming as well as add some interesting possibilities for facing one direction while moving in another to spray on the move, or reorient for a quick pivot change of direction (boosted by spray can for faster zig zags).

Anyway, cool news...but I expect pure barebones laziness as I'm sure that Sega isn't interested in the franchise beyond a quick 'n dirty port job.

Rlan

RE: Trials having 300 Points -- retail games are able to add 250GS to their tally every 3 months, I think XBLA allows 50GS per 3 months, so a new pack is probably coming.

What I'd really like to know is who is actually doing all of these ports? Is it Sega internally? We really don't have much of a clue. There is at least one small team who is doing XBLA games in Japan (VOOT, After Burner Climax) but these Dreamcast ports are more difficult to determine. I mean Crazy taxi Fare Wars on PSP was ported by Sniper Studios. We haven't seen hide or hair of Backbone Entertainment either.

My only hope is that they can get the game working more smoothly than it did in the Dreamcast -- up the game so it's 60fps constantly.

One confusion I do have -- why haven't they bothered to port over some of their top PS2 SEGA AGES collections from Japan? The AGES versions of Virtua Fighter 2, Panzer Dragoon and NiGHTS were fantastic, and would make perfect XBLA / PSN games.

beat

If this is real and widescreen, instant buy. (Same for a JSRF remake in widescreen, and yes, I realize the regular version is backwards compatible.)

TheYanger

I don't get how anyone can hate JSR OR JSRF, they're not THAT vastly different, I think a lot of the haters are probably just general xbox haters or something...I played the hell out of both and got 100% of everything, they're different but still, the real fun comes in knowing all of the lines and routing possibilities within the levels and exploiting them to full effect. The graffiti in the first one is awesome fun, I never really cared for the police chasing since it usually is just an annoyance or there to keep you from standing around staring at things. BUT, neither would ahve worked with the sequel's level design, which I consider VASTLY superior, the speed and insane trick lines you could do in the second would just not work with the constant starting and stopping you have to do in the first, and time limits just prevent you from experimenting as much as I think you have to with levels that huge.
I love the simple manual tricks in the 2nd as well, sure it's not exactly a tasking affair, but I like the rhythm it forces you into. All of the speed in the first is just to get a sufficiently massive lead on the cops so that you can stand around and spray, it's jarring. It's cool, but jarring.

I can see an argument for having some of the larger graffitis in JSRF have the analog style controls (The ones that you seldom just 'skate past' anyway) just for kicks, but the majority I'm much happier being able to zip around and trying to figure out the fastest ways to do it. Soundtrack in the first was definitely better though.

-PXG-

beat said:
If this is real and widescreen, instant buy. (Same for a JSRF remake in widescreen, and yes, I realize the regular version is backwards compatible.)

Yeah, but it's laggy and buggy as fuck. I finally got my 360 fixed. I've been meaning to 100% it again. Did it on my Xbox Huge.

EDIT

I like JSRF much more than the original. A "Wii-make" of JSRF would be amazing. Use the Wii-mote the shake the cans, and bring back the JSR QTEs, but with motion gestures, instead of analog stick movements. Holy hell, that would be my GOTMFF.

If I win the lottery, or somehow make a gazillion dollars, I'm making that shit happen. For me, for JSR fans, for GAF. For all gamers. If I get the money, and before I die, it would happen.

beat

The reason JSRF doesn't have the QTEs is so they could put big tags next to rails...

I find JSRF superior because to me, the meat of the series is in the platforming and the tagging is just a goal to entice gamers to get to specific areas. To that end, then, JSRF emphasized huge environments and that in turn required them to simplify the tagging mechanics and de-emphasize chase/combat.

fernoca

Meh!
Considering that Sega was pitched the idea to make a Jet Set Radio game on the Wii..and they didn't accepted.

This is just part of Sega's "new plan" on focusing in downloadable releases.
Its easier to port games and charge $10-$15..not to mention higher profits..

So, if anything..this erases any possibility of a new Jet Set Radio game.

Top Bottom