• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer: Accelerated

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Looks worse than the PSP games (doesn't even have reflection maps on the cars) and is unlikely to run at 60 fps.

Banned
godhandiscen said:
Is the iPhone API hard to develop for? What is going on? Supposedly the raw power of the iPhone was beyond that of the PSP, but the games don't show it. Is it still early?

I doubt it's early. iPhone games very rarely get shown early. Only very little development goes into making these iPhone games it seems. This situation will improve with time.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
dark10x said:
Looks worse than the PSP games (doesn't even have reflection maps on the cars) and is unlikely to run at 60 fps.
It has reflection maps, look at the green car. It reflects the env cubemap.

adelante

Second said:
2yo5r2x.jpg

33u4g1s.jpg

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Lord Error said:
PSP doesn't have worse hardware, compared to regular, non-3GS iphones at least. But yeah, Iphones also seem to have quite a bit OS overhead and some restrictions in how to access hardware.
Not graphics-wise - you can use GLSL, but it's a restricted subset of commands and stuff.

That's at least true for the 3GS.

robut said:
Meh face. RR is way too digital controlled to work well for an iphone game.

Exactly. Even with the analog controls on RR6, I still tap, tap, tap, tap, tap

Pac-Man CE and Ridge Racer. Two pure arcade style games I love. Both ported the iPhone this week. Both destined to suck.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
godhandiscen said:
Supposedly the raw power of the iPhone was beyond that of the PSP
Only if you target exclusively 3GS.

Anyway visuals aside - why does every iPhone racing game on youtube run at 15-20fps?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
while this looks very blah to me, i am very interested in that one that was being released on japanese phones a while back. whatever happened to that one?

Psy-Phi

Sure is a lot of hate in this thread.

The game may be fun. And while it doesn't look cutting edge, it certainly looks playable. Make it control Mario Kart Wii Style and I'd be on it. Just want to find out if the accelerometer controls are actually any good or not.

Trying not to hate. I love the iPhone and I love RR. I just know some types of games, for me, simply don't work on iPhone. Anything with twitch is out. And RR with the twitch... eh...

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Son of a bitch! :lol
I was browsing on my phone and then "OH SHIT SON NEW RIDGE RACER" and nearly killed myself running to my computer.
Not the announcement I was hoping for, but pretty cool nonetheless.

Damodar

Psy-Phi said:
Sure is a lot of hate in this thread.

The game may be fun. And while it doesn't look cutting edge, it certainly looks playable. Make it control Mario Kart Wii Style and I'd be on it. Just want to find out if the accelerometer controls are actually any good or not.

Hate from Ridge Racer fans who crave something that does the series justice.

I agree, the PSP RR is really good, but the last console RR was RR7 which was a ps3 launch title. We've been waiting quite a while. Plus, iPhone games can be really great, but generally not when you need precise controls. Ridge Racer definitely does need precise controls. They could give it a "Tilt to steer" control scheme or simplify it some other way, but you would almost certainly have to change the gameplay to the point where it doesn't really feel like Ridge Racer.

EDIT: Rage is probably also largely due to the thread title. I know I'm not alone in thinking "OH GOD! NEW RR!? WHAT FOR?! PS3/360?!? PSP!? ... aw."

mibm

aka funkky
If it's anything like Ace Combat Xi then you will probably get 1 car with 3 different colors with 2 tracks and then wait to pay for the rest of the content.

Grecco

I was going to do the fck joke but I saw adelante did it lol anyways looks ok but people saying asphalt looks better are crazy IMO

dark10x

wmat said:
It has reflection maps, look at the green car. It reflects the env cubemap.
Heh, you're right, I didn't even notice that. The rest of the car looks so flat that it seemed to be missing. I suppose it doesn't really look that much worse than the PSP game, really. What I'm waiting to see is the framerate.

That has been my biggest problem with iPhone games. So many of them run at very low framerates. I know there is a lot of overhead, but it really does kill many of them. When dealing with motion control, framerate is even more important.

Benedict

Would love to see a "Best of" Ridge Racer released for PSN (and XBLA) with online multiplayer support..
With tracks from Ridge Racer, Revolution, Rave Racer and such.

How awesome would that be?

dark10x

Benedict said:
Would love to see a "Best of" Ridge Racer released for PSN (and XBLA) with online multiplayer support..
With tracks from Ridge Racer, Revolution, Rave Racer and such.

How awesome would that be?
That's basically what Ridge Racers 1 and 2 for PSP were. It's not just about the tracks, rather, the handling.

Nessus

I don't have any problem with the idea of a phone being a valid platform for gaming, I find it intriguing even.

I just... can't get past iPhone controls, however. Fake touch screen buttons that block half your screen real estate and exaggerated tilting mechanisms (that also tilt the screen you're trying to see) bother me.

True, Wii and DS sometimes fall into this same trap but luckily they both have real, physical buttons to keep things from going off the deep end most of the time.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
dark10x said:
I suppose it doesn't really look that much worse than the PSP game, really. What I'm waiting to see is the framerate.
Honestly it doesn't really look much different from the other Iphone racers people linked to - it's just Namco's art style that's not garish enough after NFS turned the genre upside down 5 years ago.

That said I figure it runs better the newer iPhone you've got, which I suppose is Apple's way of telling you to keep upgrading. Maybe one of these days a new model will run all these games at 60...

Fafalada said:
Only if you target exclusively 3GS.

Anyway visuals aside - why does every iPhone racing game on youtube run at 15-20fps?
Because they are recorded shit and youtube doesn't go above 30fps? Real Racing is near 60fps in most areas, so is Fastlane... *edit* on a 2g touch which does not have the new VR chipset.

Philanthropist said:
Yuck, looking terrible. And that's considering Carmack said iPhone graphics would totally beat PSP's.
It all comes down to how much a dev spends on a game and how long they take to make it, the early iphones and touches still suprise people with games which run rather well on them, not many games yet actually use the bonuses that the VR chipset gives in the 3GS and touch 3g.

This game is just made on the cheap, rushed and looks shit. Don't write off the iphone because of one dev.

*edit* this is what a good dev can do on an old iphone.

CamHostage

Second said:
Did you guys watch the gameplay footage? Looks pretty good, especially for a cellphone.

Not quite, I didn't think the screenshots were as bad as people were saying here but now that I'm seeing the videos with a weak framerate and some slowdown (though maybe that's a slo-mo effect in the replay?) I am questioning why they bothered. It's a good franchise to try and bring to iPhone, but with this level of horsepower I do think they could have done better.

Does anybody know how the Ace Combat game worked on iPhone?

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
CamHostage said:
Not quite, I didn't think the screenshots were as bad as people were saying here but now that I'm seeing the videos with a weak framerate and some slowdown (though maybe that's a slo-mo effect in the replay?) I am questioning why they bothered. It's a good franchise to try and bring to iPhone, but with this level of horsepower I do think they could have done better.

might have something to do with the millions upon millions of people who own an iPhone or Touch. Just a hunch.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
ok, after only being able to see the pics on my phone yesterday i finally got a chance to see the video. please tell me this is a work in progress, because that shit looked horrible... the only good thing of the video was that it had disco ball as its theme....

Since this thread is back on page 1 and half if not most of you ignore the iphone thread, I brought this and actually like it. It runs like shit though but it plays like an awesome ridge racer.

rswvu9.png

nehzps.png

2eyc5cg.png

14aevy9.png

fqcf4.png

£1.79 for 2 circuits ( also mirror when unlocked ) and car class 1 and 2, 3 more circuits and car class 5 are DLC packs you can buy if you want them.

App crashed like 3 times on me last night lol so they seriously need to work on making it work better.

Top Bottom