• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCGamer: Meet the man who loved Stardew Valley so much he bought a farm

Zakalwe

Banned
Lots of work, but I'd imagine the satisfaction and QoL you'd get if you make it work would be pretty wonderful.

I hope he makes it.

Kyougar

hrhr, great for him.

I also sometimes wish I could live the Stardew Valley life instead of breaking my spirit in a CallCenter. But thats just my nostalgic view with growing up on a farm.

sirap

Having a farm is amazing. Even when it's a small one (land is hard to come by in my country) watching your plants grow and animals grow and provide for you feels extremely rewarding.

As someone who spent some time growing up on a farm, there's a reason I love that type of game but don't live on a farm. Best of luck to the guy and I hope he can make it work.

baconcow

2.5 acres isn't a farm

Why not? My grandparents had over 125 acres and, aside from the grazing fields, the majority of their crops and barns took up only small fields and a barn near their home. It is possible to have a small farm take up only a tiny area. Just depends on what you plan to put in your farm and how you plan to feed your animals.

jonno394

When I was playing the SNES Harvest Moon via emulator about 15 years ago, I dreamed of this too, but then I realised it'd not be the same, it wouldn't be financially viable, I wouldn't get my pick of the local babes and there'd be much more feces.

Still, would love to own a farm if it was as fun as Harvest Moon!

That is plenty of space for a farm, says who?

Don't know if it is different in the US, but here pieces of land are named based on size. Saying "farm" would mean something above a certain number in most cases.

One of my countryside friends would be able to explain this much better.

There's a lot of people who didn't read the article it seems.

It's been his dream since he was a child, he was already disenchanted with city life before playing the game and he had played Harvest Moon games before, Stardew Valley was just another nudge.

He acknowledges it's a lot of work but also says it's well worth it and he wouldn't go back.

Aeqvitas

Grew up on 3 acres, worked my grandparents 6 acre pumpkin farm. Its near impossible to make a living on even 6 acres, although these days with the organic craze you might be able to charge insane prices for very little depending on what market you live in. Or grow weed.

Farming equipment is really really expensive too, and maintenance alone can wipe out any gains on mediocre years. Although I do admit there are some times I look back at my time working the earth and there is a certain nostalgia to it, until I remember fighting off coyotes from the livestock, stepping on wasp nests, getting sunburned and working dawn to dusk, sulfurous water, and the terrible, pervasive smells of various manures soaking into your clothes.

Good luck to him.

Why not? My grandparents had over 125 acres and, aside from the grazing fields, the majority of their crops and barns took up only small fields and a barn near their home. It is possible to have a small farm take up only a tiny area. Just depends on what you plan to put in your farm and how you plan to feed your animals.
Aside from the fact that 2.5 acres is barely anything, how much of that is usable land? There are ways you could make it work. You could do hoophouses or aquaponics (or both) to maximize your profit/acre or something similar, but traditional farming just isn't going to be profitable at that size. Not to mention farms have a pretty large startup costs as far as equipment goes.

DJ_Lae

Best of luck to him.

After working for a decade in agriculture (albeit on the government side) my biggest takeaway is that I have a ton of respect for farmers because holy shit is it something I would never want to do.

Tons of work, generally shitty pay. You'd have to love what you're doing, and other than having a small hobby farm like this guy seems to where you can just sort of noodle around, I can't imagine many truly love what they're doing.

Mulgrok

Around here farms are 100 acres at the minimum. Anything less is just a hobby.

EDIT: My closest neighbors have 1200+ acre farms.

kiguel182

My dream retirement is just go live in a small farm like that. Even if I'm a total city boy and know nothing about farming the idea is kinda nice.

sirap

My dream retirement is just go live in a small farm like that. Even if I'm a total city boy and know nothing about farming the idea is kinda nice.

Honestly if you're doing it as a means to provide for yourself or a small family it's really not that difficult. Chickens are pretty low-maintenance if all you want are eggs.

The biggest pitas are pests and predators but that greatly depends on your location. In Malaysia we don't really have any foxes or mountain lions jacking up livestock but god damned monkeys always manage to steal my figs.

dhonk

Honestly if you're doing it as a means to provide for yourself or a small family it's really not that difficult. Chickens are pretty low-maintenance if all you want are eggs.

The biggest pitas are pests and predators but that greatly depends on your location. In Malaysia we don't really have any foxes or mountain lions jacking up livestock but god damned monkeys always manage to steal my figs.

I lol'd

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
2.5 acres isn't a farm

It's 2.5 farms!

1FNKxJz.jpg

Top Bottom