• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

show me the absolute WORST character design you can think of

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Any of those giant-titted, barely-clothed chicks popular in fighting games are pretty fucking embarrassing. I know people are unironically posting them in the inverse thread to this one, but I guess that's not surprising.

Kssio_Aug

He is fine (and Dagger too), but rest of the cast - yikes..

05.jpg

Vivi is one of the best black mages ever! =o

Wallach

Jet Force Gemini is the one that comes to mind any time the topic of "terrible art" comes up.

How could anyone have looked at those characters and said "yeah, let's put that shit on the cover". They have totally insane eyes. Nobody could have thought that looked even okay.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Has Cole's transition from David Beckham to heavy smoker/chemotherapy patient in Infamous 2 been posted already?

Worst case of fan bitchlash affecting developers ever.

We finally got a good looking Cole with his soccer faux hawk grown out, parkour athlete finger tape, tats, etc ....and "fans" start coming out of the woodworks bitching that not everything has to look like handsome Everyman Drake.

Because buzz cut white dude is so much better...

l0IOmHi

How Quiet is not the first post is sad. Not only was she poorly designed, it's insulting design to women and female gamer world wide. I am considering boycotting his next game if he pulls something similar in his next game.

Nier

The main character was quite ugly

He looks like a person, which stands in contrast with everyone else in the game who are smooth porcelain doll people.

https://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/scale_small/3/31838/2477187-0447866357-tumbl.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

No that's perfect.

[quote="Bahorel, post: 235068265"]WHAT is this from? Notice that her regular breasts are modest which is an interesting contrast[/QUOTE]

Roman goddess Diana in Megami Tensei. The design is a sort of haute couture take on Diana of Ephesus I guess.

Swiggins

Tracer, from Overwatch. A character so utterly by the numbers that the only things memorable about her are the controversy over her ass, and the catchphrase that you couldn't avoid if you saw their marketing at all.

MCTtHxS.png

I'll give you Necali and FANG, but if Tracer is legitimately one of the worst character designs you've ever seen you need to lower your goddamn standards dude...

Rune Factory 4 loli characters you can marry. Fucking embarrassment that made me quit an otherwise not bad game. I won't even bother posting pictures because I'd rather avoid putting GAF in the spotlight of the FBI.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
What's that one game that's sort of like a Metroidvania, supposedly it's really good, but the character art looks like deviantart furry bullshit?

That one.

Fuck. I remembered it before making this post. DUST: An Elysian Tail

606N7sJ.jpg

I will never play this game.
I had exactly the same reaction to the art.

I gotta tell you, though, the game is really good.

I'll give you Necali and FANG, but if Tracer is legitimately one of the worst character designs you've ever seen you need to lower your goddamn standards dude...
Yeah, I don't see the problem. She looks fine.

latest

Business in the front, party in the back.

I liked FFIX quite a bit and I even like Zidane's character. He's a cool guy. But yea his design is bad in a game full of badly designed characters. Certainly VII and VIII had some goofy designs here and there (especially VIII) but the characters generally still looked cool. But IX and X dropped the ball in that department.

Final Fantasy IX probably has the strongest art direction in the whole franchise. The character design is certainly not bad.

I thought Tidus looked cool, there was actually some color to him. Not the best design, but worked with the general aesthetics of the game.

Zidane (IX) and Vaan (XII) are worse.

And Quina is worse than all the above combined.

Ahasverus

Why? Do they have tentacles instead of eyes? Wait, no. I've seen them without the blindfols in trailers. I'm sure there is an in-universe explanation about the blindfols but that doesn't mean they don't look stupid. There is an in-universe explation of why Quiet has to be always almost naked but that doesn't make it OK.
It's symbolic dude. Nier is art.

poodaddy

This abomination

Japanese female character design: the thread. If most Japanese devs would try designing their females as actual people instead of fuck toys to be stared at by pervs their designs would be more likeable and relatable. Ironically I think Terra from FFVI is probably my most beloved female character design of all time, tasteful and beautiful with an underlying sense of tragedy and sadness chased with divine power to her, but it just seems like Japanese female character design has regressed heavily since the 90's.

Top Bottom