• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pics That Make You Laugh |OT| Memes Galore

Melchiah

Turns out finns are incredibly friendly. Not saying that to please those reading me, I seriously don't think I've seen such nice people in any other country. Coming from Paris, it's quite a shock Oo

From what I've heard, the silent nature of Finns can apparently be off-putting for some who come from cultures where small talk is more common. Whereas for us it's more common only when we are drunk. ;)

I've visited Paris in 2003, and Nantes & Clisson this summer when we were playing at Hellfest, and I have nothing bad to say about the French either. We met quite a few nice people there, like a talkative Über driver who studied hypnotherapy, and a couple of metal fans who later came to visit Finland and party at our drummer's place. Some workers at food joints couldn't speak English, but that was never an insurmountable obstacle.

Cool. What's the band name?

Here's the video, where that image was taken from.

Daffy Duck

This got me.....

DHrdKn6WsAAcUFL.jpg

G.O.O.

From what I've heard, the silent nature of Finns can apparently be off-putting for some who come from cultures where small talk is more common. Whereas for us it's more common only when we are drunk. ;)

I've visited Paris in 2003, and Nantes & Clisson this summer when we were playing at Hellfest, and I have nothing bad to say about the French either. We met quite a few nice people there, like a talkative Über driver who studied hypnotherapy, and a couple of metal fans who later came to visit Finland and party at our drummer's place. Some workers at food joints couldn't speak English, but that was never an insurmountable obstacle.
I expected people to be more silent indeed, but among things that we wouldn't have seen in Paris
- a lady with a dog sat in front of us on the bus and spontaneously asked if we were bothered by the dog
- while discussing where to stop on the subway, guy next to us asks where we're heading and offers us to follow him at a music Festival he's attending, saying we could go to central Helsinki by foot from there
- spoke for like 30 minutes with a woman at a food festival of some sort, she was genuinely pleased to talk with people from France

And that was just day one. I think people are maybe just more trusting here ?

On France, I don't think we're genuinely dicks but we're aware we have an image problem with foreigners. I think that's because a lot of them see really touristic places where workers are mostly tired of everything. So other places try to compensate. Plus there's of course the fact that Paris is less safe.

And English is an imperialist language, obviously.

(No pic to post, sorry. On the phone)

DD

DHXJ-1qXkAAvdfu.jpg

Since Brazil is almost the size of Europe, we have these cultural differences between states like, for example, back in school I had an English teacher from Rio, and she said that it was weird when she came to my state because everyone was more quiet and shy, while in Rio it looks like everyone acts like they're best friends, full of small talk and such. I've seen people from other states calling us "assholes" (I know I am, but I should not be used as measurement :3).

FUME5

Saw this yesterday

Code:
[IMG]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/312457038435450881/349333656898109442/20170821_094541.jpg?width=1202&height=677[/IMG]

Melchiah

for the love of god, do not show this to Blanchot

Heh, now I'm curious why?

I expected people to be more silent indeed, but among things that we wouldn't have seen in Paris
- a lady with a dog sat in front of us on the bus and spontaneously asked if we were bothered by the dog
- while discussing where to stop on the subway, guy next to us asks where we're heading and offers us to follow him at a music Festival he's attending, saying we could go to central Helsinki by foot from there
- spoke for like 30 minutes with a woman at a food festival of some sort, she was genuinely pleased to talk with people from France

And that was just day one. I think people are maybe just more trusting here ?

On France, I don't think we're genuinely dicks but we're aware we have an image problem with foreigners. I think that's because a lot of them see really touristic places where workers are mostly tired of everything. So other places try to compensate. Plus there's of course the fact that Paris is less safe.

And English is an imperialist language, obviously.

(No pic to post, sorry. On the phone)

Good to hear, that your visit here sounds like a good experience. Coincidentally, I live in the central Helsinki, where you were yesterday. If you're still in the city, I recommend to visit the Sea Fortress; http://www.suomenlinna.fi/en/

I don't recall getting bad service on my trips to France, and there were only few people we came across who couldn't speak English. So, in that sense I found the stereotype to be false. The language barrier was far greater in Spain. Some of the bartenders didn't even know the English word for beer.

Since Brazil is almost the size of Europe, we have these cultural differences between states like, for example, back in school I had an English teacher from Rio, and she said that it was weird when she came to my state because everyone was more quiet and shy, while in Rio it looks like everyone acts like they're best friends, full of small talk and such. I've seen people from other states calling us "assholes" (I know I am, but I should not be used as measurement :3).

There are some cultural differences between Finnish regions as well, but I think it's more subtle. You can usually tell who were born in the capital city, and who came from elsewhere.

That's a pretty damn good video.

Oh, that sounds cool. Will give them a listen, you can never have enough good black metal bands!

Thanks. I left that band over five years ago though. This is what I currently do, if someone's interested: https://youtu.be/oI-lewkTJEA

Wow, so you're black metal band singer?

Some interview that poped up.

Huh, a flash from the past. That was nearly ten years ago. I really hate doing interviews. ;)

Now, here's some bears...
2LsFRhb.jpg

lDxiA3x.jpg

3GUxLdj.jpg
RCd0Yc7.jpg

Irminsul

Just in case someone believes that: as the Earth's path around the Sun is an ellipse, its distance to the Sun changes over the year. The closest distance (perihelion) is about 5 million km closer than the farthest (aphelion). So about 16,420,604,000 feet.

Themoreyouknow.jpg

phoenixyz

Just in case someone believes that: as the Earth's path around the Sun is an ellipse, its distance to the Sun changes over the year. The closest distance (perihelion) is about 5 million km closer than the farthest (aphelion). So about 16,420,604,000 feet.

That is blatantly incorrect. Please refer to the diagram below.
n1VmiPPl.jpg

If someone doesn't recognize the style... Source: xkcd.com

Top Bottom