• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blaster Master Zero |OT| A Blast from the Past

JoeInky

As far as I'm aware I rendered the game unbeatable?

I killed the boss of area 7, but before I went into area 8 and activated the checkpoint I went back to get an item I'd missed, but now the elevator in the area 7 boss room is stuck at the bottom so I can't bring Sofia to me, and the checkpoint at the start of area 8 hasn't been activated yet so I can't do that, it's to high for me to jump up to it and the fall damage makes it impossible to go anywhere in area 8.

Have I softlocked the game?

E: Actually I think there's a tunnel right at the start of Area 7 that links to the end of it that I might have missed due to having a few days break between playing.

Ah. My subtle humor detection gauge is low, it seems.

But hey, did anyone snag the US ver soundtrack at PAX by any chance? What's the packaging like?

Late response but, the packaging is cardstock-ish like some soundtracks. Open the fold and slide the disc out. Actually it looks just like what I see from Fangamer's website, if you want a better look.

How the hell do I get back to Area 7? I flat out can't find the route back there

I assume you are in Area 8 or another Area? If in Area 8, you should be able to just go up and eventually left to get back to the entrance. Otherwise, you need to go to
Area 3
to get there.
As far as I'm aware I rendered the game unbeatable?

I killed the boss of area 7, but before I went into area 8 and activated the checkpoint I went back to get an item I'd missed, but now the elevator in the area 7 boss room is stuck at the bottom so I can't bring Sofia to me, and the checkpoint at the start of area 8 hasn't been activated yet so I can't do that, it's to high for me to jump up to it and the fall damage makes it impossible to go anywhere in area 8.

Have I softlocked the game?

E: Actually I think there's a tunnel right at the start of Area 7 that links to the end of it that I might have missed due to having a few days break between playing.

You should be able to go into Area 8 and then back to 7 in order to backtrack a little, and then there is a tunnel that takes you and Sophia earlier in Area 7 that you couldn't get to beforehand.

Kadin

I got the true ending the other day, what a wonderful little surprise this game was.
I just put up a video review if anyone's interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX2NJ0kl3ec&feature=youtu.be

I hope we get more Sunsoft revivals from Inti Creats, they truly nailed it.
Nice review. I was a huge Blaster Master from the start and this game didn't disappoint at all. I feel bad for people who stop at the bad ending, they don't know what they're missing.

Questions:

1. Do I need to color entire map for 100 or just collect all items and beat all bosses?

2. I'm stumped with a Life upgrade in area 5. Far upper right of map. Rock wall blocks life upgrade sitting on sole platform with robot fish swimming in water underneath.

3. Is there a way to fast travel?

4. Is there a way to tell you're at 100%?

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Late response but, the packaging is cardstock-ish like some soundtracks. Open the fold and slide the disc out. Actually it looks just like what I see from Fangamer's website, if you want a better look.

Oh hey, thanks! I guess I'll just wait for the Japanese version then. Inti soundtrack releases in Japan always have pretty slick packaging and original art.

Dan-o

Questions:

1. Do I need to color entire map for 100 or just collect all items and beat all bosses?
Just items and bosses. Once you have
the map of an area, you can see which dungeons still have something worth your time in them

2. I'm stumped with a Life upgrade in area 5. Far upper right of map. Rock wall blocks life upgrade sitting on sole platform with robot fish swimming in water underneath.
far left of the map, about midway down, there are a couple doors. One will take you to a room with two other exits. One of the exits is in a room with lots of moving platforms, with the exit in the center.

3. Is there a way to fast travel?

4. Is there a way to tell you're at 100%?
No to both, as far as I could tell. Each area can be checked for completion as per my answer to your first question, though.

it is a bit tedious to go from area to area, but that's the only way I could tell to be sure.

Just items and bosses. Once you have
the map of an area, you can see which dungeons still have something worth your time in them

far left of the map, about midway down, there are a couple doors. One will take you to a room with two other exits. One of the exits is in a room with lots of moving platforms, with the exit in the center.

No to both, as far as I could tell. Each area can be checked for completion as per my answer to your first question, though.

it is a bit tedious to go from area to area, but that's the only way I could tell to be sure.

Thanks much. Got the upgrade!

100% this today. A fun ride for $10 but not sure if there is replay value for me or if I'll even remember it a week from now.

I beat the game today and I don't think I will remember it tomorrow. Is an OK game, too easy, short and does nothing special, in my opinion is overpriced, not worth $10, maybe $5. The soundtrack is good though.

Got stuck in Area 4
I tried to get the map of Area 4, but after leaving the section to get back to Sophia I think stuck, if I jump to the other ladder I got killed because of fall damage, and if I jump to water I can't get out it
help :(

Got stuck in Area 4
I tried to get the map of Area 4, but after leaving the section to get back to Sophia I think stuck, if I jump to the other ladder I got killed because of fall damage, and if I jump to water I can't get out it
help :(

You're on the right track. Leap towards the ladder again and hit B to grab hold of it.

jackal27

Banned
I beat the game this week and WOW! I did not expect to enjoy it as much as I did! It's really freaking great! My 2nd favorite Switch game next to Zelda atm. Excellent work from Inti Creates and Sunsoft. Here's hoping we can get some more Sunsoft revivals!

I've really enjoyed my time with this game. I finished it with the bad ending and then went back and got 100%. I'm personally glad the game isn't punishingly difficult, and got about 10 hours out of it so I think it's well worth the money.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
So does blaster master have HD rumble? Cause I just started it and when the Sophia engine is on and it takes of in the cut scene it felt really great

Bluth54

I downloaded this yesterday since Zelda is the only game on the Switch (and I've beaten it already). I've never played any Blaster Master game before but I'm really enjoying this game a lot. Having the two different gameplay perspectives is very cool.
I played for about 4 or so hours yesterday and got through area 5.

Dipship31

I 100%'d the game and clocked in at around 11 hours so definitely worth the $10 for me. Yeah it was pretty easy overall, but the gameplay was solid and rewarding.

Rezbit

Finally got around to finishing this off 100%. Took a bit over 8 hours. Overall really enjoyed it, and heck the 100% bonus is so worth it. Not sure how much I'll replay it, but definitely worth the 13 Aussie dollarydoos I paid.

This game is really, really good.

It's a bit too easy. That's my only complaint. Otherwise, it's the best Blaster Master game since the original. And it's better than that game in a lot of ways.

Hinchy

I'm having a ton of fun with this. Never played the original so I don't really know what proportion of new to remake this is, but this is the most fun I've had with an 8-bit throwback game this side of Shovel Knight and Mega Man 9. Absolutely recommend it to just about anyone.

jb1234

Finally finished this, a little over eight hours, 100%. I definitely feel the game improved as it went along, mostly because it got harder. The last few areas in particular killed me more than a few times (especially before I went back to get the all the upgrades I had missed). I think the original game's approach to story (less is more) should have been applied here because man, it got bad near the end. I rolled my eyes during the
true
ending, so cheesy.

Still, a fun little game for the time it lasted and it's always nice playing games on the Switch, gotta say.

Fancolors

Just beat the game on my 3DS. It was a fun ride for sure, but I would say it is disappointingly easy on some parts and tedious on others. Especially on the last two bosses.

I always love it when the boss is a
powered up version of yourself with similar moveset
, however this one was an exception since the fight was not very challenging and too short for my taste.

And I'm sorry if this has been answered before, but is there any reason for them not including a map on the 3DS's second screen? I hate having to navigate the menu to check my location.

wondermega

Just beat the game on my 3DS. It was a fun ride for sure, but I would say it is disappointingly easy on some parts and tedious on others. Especially on the last two bosses.

I always love it when the boss is a
powered up version of yourself with similar moveset
, however this one was an exception since the fight was not very challenging and too short for my taste.

And I'm sorry if this has been answered before, but is there any reason for them not including a map on the 3DS's second screen? I hate having to navigate the menu to check my location.

Probably some version of lazy/budget/political. Like they overall don't want to make it perform in anyway better than the Switch version, which I'd also assume is the case for no stereoscopic effects. Curse you Inti Creates!

NolbertoS

So I just finished this game in 6h 42 min. I love the game but rhey dumbed the difficulty from the original NES version. Wish some of the bosses where harder. I hope they remake Blaster Master 2 or come make a proper sequel. BM2 on Genesis sucked big time. Loved the art and anime storylines.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Probably some version of lazy/budget/political. Like they overall don't want to make it perform in anyway better than the Switch version, which I'd also assume is the case for no stereoscopic effects. Curse you Inti Creates!

Stereoscopic 3D doesn't mesh with sprite-based games displayed with faux-3D perspective, they weren't just being lazy.

The framerate issue bothers me more--the Gunvolt games and Blaster Master Zero both run at 30FPS for reasons unknown.

Jazzem

Gone back to this, enjoying it but yeah I agree with the sentiment that it's way too easy :/ You really can just cheese your way through the top down sections, namely with the more powerful shots that go through walls whilst enemy bullets do not.

That and the backtracking is a little tedious at times...I'm still really keen on it despite those niggles though, aesthetic is lovely and Sofia+Jason are a joy to control.

Regiruler

Is unlimited mode really all you unlock? Having only one unlockable on an entire screem seems weird.

The fake final boss was better than the real one, even if it was in top down (and his first form is pathetically easy to cheese).

There are some spots that are insufferably long where you do nothing but hold a button.
Stereoscopic 3D doesn't mesh with sprite-based games displayed with faux-3D perspective, they weren't just being lazy.

The framerate issue bothers me more--the Gunvolt games and Blaster Master Zero both run at 30FPS for reasons unknown.
It doesn't mesh when developers don't have the proper depth used, like on stairs, etc.

The game would be improved by it, the top down is already tenuous anyway.

Hegarol

Just started this game and played through Area 2.

Are you supposed to come back to Areas? I am not able to explore all sections at the moment.

Kadin

Just started this game and played through Area 2.

Are you supposed to come back to Areas? I am not able to explore all sections at the moment.
It's very much like a metroidvania game in that certain things will be locked off until you have a means to push forward. So yeah, if you've exhausted most of your options to get somewhere, continue elsewhere with the understanding that you'll probably return there later to progress.

zigg

I feel really stupid, but I'm in Area 2 and just got the charge laser, which says it can blast through terrain.

Am I supposed to be able to take out those small rocks blocking my way or not?

I feel really stupid, but I'm in Area 2 and just got the charge laser, which says it can blast through terrain.

Am I supposed to be able to take out those small rocks blocking my way or not?

There is another weapon in the area that takes out those blocks.

dock

Any chance of Sunsoft fixing the shitty pixel scaling on this game?

Nintendo of Europe refuse to refund the game for me, so I'm stuck with a game I can't bear to look at because the pixels are all over the place.

I'm surprised that so many people fuss over frame rate but no-one cares when a pixelart based game has such atrocious image quality.

Hegarol

Any chance of Sunsoft fixing the shitty pixel scaling on this game?

Nintendo of Europe refuse to refund the game for me, so I'm stuck with a game I can't bear to look at because the pixels are all over the place.

I'm surprised that so many people fuss over frame rate but no-one cares when a pixelart based game has such atrocious image quality.
Its plays just fine for me. What is the problem?

BizzyBum

Will I know when I'm about to face the final boss so I can go back and try to collect everything for the real ending?

I just need to collect everything before defeating the Area 8 boss, right? How do I know I'm at 100%?

edit: damn, just realized I have to press R on the menu for the maps. LOL

zigg

Will I know when I'm about to face the final boss so I can go back and try to collect everything for the real ending?
Yep.

I just need to collect everything before defeating the Area 8 boss, right? How do I know I'm at 100%?

edit: damn, just realized I have to press R on the menu for the maps. LOL
Haha, yeah, that wasn't obvious. But yeah, as long as you don't have any flashing bosses or life bits left and you have all maps, you're good.

BizzyBum

Haha, yeah, that wasn't obvious. But yeah, as long as you don't have any flashing bosses or life bits left and you have all maps, you're good.

Dude, I was at Area 6 before I realized that. :(

Do I need to fill every box on the map/dungeons, too?

zigg

Dude, I was at Area 6 before I realized that. :(

Do I need to fill every box on the map/dungeons, too?
Nope. Just clear bosses and pick up life bits.

You can also quickly scan your Sophia/Jason status screens. If you've got all the upgrades and a full extra bar of life, you're good, I believe.

Top Bottom