• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smart steering in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is pretty crazy

I'm playing on one of IGN's review copies for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and I just tested the first Grand Prix on 200CC with Mario and the first/default kart with Smart Steering turned and put the controller down to play itself at the start of each race, never once picking it up to use an item or power slide.

I came in 12th place on each and every race and came in dead last in the entire Grand Prix. It's definitely not an "instant win" button or anything like that. In fact I might have done better had I only just held down the gas, steered myself and done nothing else.

iFirez

I'm playing on one of IGN's review copies for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and I just tested the first Grand Prix on 200CC with Mario and the first/default kart with Smart Steering turned and put the controller down to play itself at the start of each race, never once picking it up to use an item or power slide.

I came in 12th place on each and every race and came in dead last in the entire Grand Prix. It's definitely not an "instant win" button or anything like that. In fact I might have done better had I only just held down the gas, steered myself and done nothing else.

*Brap Brap*

Good to hear though Brian, I'm glad it isn't an insta-win setting especially on 200cc. I'm sure we'll see a lot of funny videos and such about this feature but not much more - MK8D should still be about skill and not abusing the games feaures. I imagine these features are pretty good on 50cc though as the AI always seemed terrible when I was getting gold in the 50cc cups.

Nanashrew

Banned
This example is a bit silly to me. Because stabilisers are used for children because riding a bike confers a serious risk of falling off and getting hurt.

It's a little different to losing a race in Mario Kart.

I don't entirely disagree with that on the risk of injury. But it also allows the kids to have fun with their parents and develop enough skill and confidence to a point where they feel they can take off the training wheels and expand their skill set and grow. So in that regard, I feel it can be apt to introducing little kids to something.

It's a good example as it allows quite underaged kids to bike with their parents, until they get it and remove assistance.

Sure, but it would also be almost irresponsible to let them ride without them on.

Video games, which lack consequence if you fail, can be learned through experimentation in many cases. Not saying that all kids can play Mario Kart without assistance, but I think they could all learn to, if need be, and certainly not harm themselves in the process.

I imagine without that consequence, a lot of parents would just let their kids learn without stabilisers, or rubber bands when swimming. Not to say that it's bettern to learn without... I don't think it is, but my sister for instance, wouldn't take her stabilisers off for 2 years, she became dependent on them, and ended up picking up bad habbits as a result.

Might have a different perspective on it because for me, it wasn't so that I could ride a bike with my parents, it was so that we could learn and not hurt ourselves. I don't recall our mother ever riding a bike with us, until we actually got proper bikes and then we could actually keep up.

Nepenthe

On Chronospherics' final note, there's definitely other fun ways to play games with your kids despite a skill gap outside of teaching them the technical aspects of it, especially with the rubberband AI in Mario Kart. Try just teaming up with your kid in a race, helping them along, shooting items at other people for them, and getting revenge when they get hit- basically make it super cooperative and silly. I was put in a lobby once with a person who was nowhere near my skill level, who asked to "go easy on him." At first, I took that to mean simply beating him without using items and being a dick about it, but then after a few boring races I wondered what would happen if I deliberately lost to boost his VR. Had some of the best times with him after that; drove literal circles around him, allowed him to draft me, taught him a few of my own drifting lines, the works. Skill gaps can be an opportunity to play a game in a different way and have some mutual fun!

Nanashrew

Banned
On Chronospherics' final note, there's definitely other fun ways to play games with your kids despite a skill gap outside of teaching them the technical aspects of it, especially with the rubberband AI in Mario Kart. Try just teaming up with your kid in a race, helping them along, shooting items at other people for them, and getting revenge when they get hit- basically make it super cooperative and silly. I was put in a lobby once with a person who was nowhere near my skill level, who asked to "go easy on him." At first, I took that to mean simply beating him without using items and being a dick about it, but then after a few boring races I wondered what would happen if I deliberately lost to boost his VR. Had some of the best times with him after that; drove literal circles around him, allowed him to draft me, taught him a few of my own drifting lines, the works. Skill gaps can be an opportunity to play a game in a different way and have some mutual fun!

That's how me and my brother have played Mario Kart since 64, co-op grand prix and helping each other into first and protecting each other. It's definitely a good strategy and can be fun.

KingBroly

Banned

I wonder if it'll help with braking in 200cc

Cipherr

Honestly, I think the biggest thing we are all overlooking is how incredibly beneficial these modes may be to players with physical disabilities who who can now enjoy Mario Kart.

Yes but literally NO ONE thinks of these people, you know that. Its all chest thumping about how good we were when we were 4 years old and whatnot.

NateDrake

I tried Grand Prix 200cc and they always finish in last place. The kart will follow the same path each match unless it is disturbed. Whenever the light shines yellow on the antenna, that is when the smart steering takes over.

I actually captured a full 50cc cup and let the smart steering and auto acceleration race all four races. It was fun to watch and actually got a bit tense as I cheered for King Boo during a race.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Will this correct for the classic side to side overcompensating steering that beginners often do? My kids used to play like that until they got better at the game, and my wife still does that.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America

Very cool.

I tried Grand Prix 200cc and they always finish in last place. The kart will follow the same path each match unless it is disturbed. Whenever the light shines yellow on the antenna, that is when the smart steering takes over.

I actually captured a full 50cc cup and let the smart steering and auto acceleration race all four races. It was fun to watch and actually got a bit tense as I cheered for King Boo during a race.

Very very cool.

boiled goose

good with gravy
This is great for non gamers. Mario kart is sometimes too hard for beginners. It becomes frustrating and not fun.

With this, they can play along and have enough agency to have fun but enough rails to not get stuck and frustrated.

ghibli99

What a wonderful feature. I like that it's not auto-win status, but lets anyone play and be involved and not frustrated. Like my wife just said as she was watching this with me, it's like bowling with bumpers in the gutters. Just because they're there doesn't mean you'll gonna be throwing rocks all night like Donny and getting an endless stream of strikes, but it eliminates the frustration of constantly rolling into the gutter, while encouraging the player to practice with their aim and technique. The other stuff can come later, especially if they had fun the first time.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
I don't see the issue with these accessibility features.

What people should be questioning is how bad the AI has to be to lose to a player who is doing the absolute bare minimum to finish a race. Even if this is the easiest difficulty, the AI that can make more advanced turns and use items should never lose to a player that is literally taking all the turns as slow as possible and can't use items/boost. What are they doing half the race? Staring at a wall?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I don't see the issue with these accessibility features.

What people should be questioning is how bad the AI has to be to lose to a player who is doing the absolute bare minimum to finish a race. Even if this is the easiest difficulty, the AI that can make more advanced turns and use items should never lose to a player that is literally taking all the turns as slow as possible and can't use items/boost. What are they doing half the race? Staring at a wall?
Probs taking all the turns as slow as possible and can't use items/boost.

Excited for this feature. It means my Mom is going to play with us again. She had fun playing 7 with us all but got annoyed at falling off. Told her about this and now when we all get together she says she wants to try again. :)

VillageBC

This feature alone is worth buying the game again on the switch for my youngest. She can make it, but it's a long lap later while the rest of us waited. I wish the race would end when 11 racers finished.

hirokazu

I usually roll my eyes when Nintendo tries to make games accessible to the detriment of good players, but this is probably really good to play with kids in the family.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
I usually roll my eyes when Nintendo tries to make games accessible to the detriment of good players, but this is probably really good to play with kids in the family.

I'm for this. It can be disabled so people who don't want it don't have to use it. It'll make it much easier to play with my parents or my girlfriend's family. Eventually when they get comfortable it can be taken off.

Biske

It baffles me that this isn't obvious to people. Mario Kart isn't a game where you can win only by not hitting walls or not falling off. Are we all forgetting how for instance, you get nailed by everything and the kitchen sink? Watching the videos it doesnt even put you on the best routes for the races. Always taking super wide turns, etc.

I don't know how a bunch of "adults" continually have their self worth questioned with features like this. Its absurd.

GunBR

These kids need to learn how to play the hard why like we all did with Super Mario Kart on Snes

tv-simpsons-old-man-yells-at-cloud.jpg

I'm half-serious

Nose Master

Meh, neat for kids and people that don't play games. You're fooling yourself if you think Mario kart requires a ton of skill in the first place.

Meh, neat for kids and people that don't play games. You're fooling yourself if you think Mario kart requires a ton of skill in the first place.

Its actually a pretty demanding game when you factor in all inputs. Most people cant drive the kart, use items, and drift all at the same time without some struggle, thats a fact. It really is demanding considering most other genres have far less button multitasking.

I've got Mario Kart coming in the mail with the intent of playing it with my partner's six-year-old. I wasn't too keen on double-dipping Mario Kart initially, but I want to introduce the kiddo to games that aren't on a tablet/phone. Smart Steering has won me over.

Question, though. How does Smart Steering work in Battle Mode?

And a dilemma. For those GAFfers that are utilizing Smart Steering with other (possibly younger) players, do you tell them it's on?

I've got Mario Kart coming in the mail with the intent of playing it with my partner's six-year-old. I wasn't too keen on double-dipping Mario Kart initially, but I want to introduce the kiddo to games that aren't on a tablet/phone. Smart Steering has won me over.

I don't think there is SS in Battle Mode, though I don't think there needs to be.

My wife, who relies on SS during races, didn't really need it in Battle. The stages are pretty open and the roadways wide.

DonShula

It kinda doesn't work. I mean, it'll keep the kids from just driving into walls. But they still need to aim on their own to have any success.

I found my kids had less fun in battle mode than regular races for that reason.

Edit: and no reason to tell them it's turned on. If they're young enough they might not get the concept anyway. Just let them have fun.

Ok, that was pretty damn cool. I also appreciate the attention to detail for the little smart steering stick on the back of the kart. It lights up and moves in whatever direction it's steering you.

Crom

It kinda doesn't work. I mean, it'll keep the kids from just driving into walls. But they still need to aim on their own to have any success.

I found my kids had less fun in battle mode than regular races for that reason.

Edit: and no reason to tell them it's turned on. If they're young enough they might not get the concept anyway. Just let them have fun.

I told mine that it was on. It is like training wheels on a bike. I am letting them start with it and then when they are comfortable I test disabling it for them

I can't believe people are against something you don't have to use and in most cases hinders you when you actually know how to play. For anyone who's played with inexperienced players or children, this mode is a godsend because now they don't have to get frustrated about sucking so bad during the odd day or two they play the game.

I can't believe people are against something you don't have to use and in most cases hinders you when you actually know how to play. For anyone who's played with inexperienced players or children, this mode is a godsend because now they don't have to get frustrated about sucking so bad during the odd day or two they play the game.

I'm ok with it being there but the implementation in the menus is terrible. What happens when you hold a shell or other item behind you then pause the game? Well if you hit the left trigger again it will engage the automatic assists. So now you have to be VERY conscience that you hit it once to turn it on, hit it again to turn it off and hold to then unpause to keep playing. It is just tedious. Also, on more than one occasion I've turned on auto accelerate or auto steering by pure accident because the bumper buttons are easy to hit while paused. Couldn't they have made the menu implementation better?

I'm ok with it being there but the implementation in the menus is terrible. What happens when you hold a shell or other item behind you then pause the game? Well if you hit the left trigger again it will engage the automatic assists. So now you have to be VERY conscience that you hit it once to turn it on, hit it again to turn it off and hold to then unpause to keep playing. It is just tedious. Also, on more than one occasion I've turned on auto accelerate or auto steering by pure accident because the bumper buttons are easy to hit while paused. Couldn't they have made the menu implementation better?
Not sure if you're aware but you can toggle these options in the car selection menu. Just hit +/- and the status dialog will pop up with an option to toggle the three new features: Auto Steering, Auto Accelerate, Motion Controls. That way you don't have to pause mid-race (which you can't do online anyway, I believe).

My wife actually enjoys playing Mario Kart now. She always played it with me and my buddies, but you could tell she wasn't having a good time. She does fine on her own against the CPU, but against human opponents she gets too stressed out and makes a lot of errors, which the Smart Steering helps her to avoid. She still doesn't win, but at least she enjoys playing with us, and that is freaking awesome. So anyone opposed to this can just take a hike for all I care.

Not sure if you're aware but you can toggle these options in the car selection menu. Just hit +/- and the status dialog will pop up with an option to toggle the three new features: Auto Steering, Auto Accelerate, Motion Controls. That way you don't have to pause mid-race (which you can't do online anyway, I believe).
That's a handy tip! As I was reading about Smart Steering online, this was never mentioned. Only the Pause menu option was detailed.

My wife actually enjoys playing Mario Kart now. She always played it with me and my buddies, but you could tell she wasn't having a good time. She does fine on her own against the CPU, but against human opponents she gets too stressed out and makes a lot of errors, which the Smart Steering helps her to avoid. She still doesn't win, but at least she enjoys playing with us, and that is freaking awesome. So anyone opposed to this can just take a hike for all I care.

You're me.

More and more traditional games are incorporating these lite/assistance features. I'm getting USF2 next for us after I heard it comes with "lite control features" that makes executing specials easier for newbies. My wife will love that. I'm hoping Nintendo does the same for Smash Brothers Switch.

Top Bottom