• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SD Card and USB C Cord Suggestions for Switch

mackattk

I have always had issues with microsd cards failing in my android phones/tablets.. Usually they last 6-12 months before the inevitably fail. Anyone know the most durable, trustworthy brand?

japtor

I'm pretty confused by this thread. Just to confirm, to charge my Switch outside the dock I need to get:

1. a USB A to USB C cable

and

2. A specific high power charging brick, as a standard USB wall plug (such as the one you get with an iPhone) won't produce enough power to charge the Switch.

Is that correct?
For 2, you don't need to be that specific. You do need something 2-2.4A (1.5A might work too?), but many if not most chargers do that nowadays.

Putosaure

Got my 18W power plug, charges 7% in 15mn instead of 3% in 15mn before with my Vive USB to AC adaptors. Not sure I can still play while charging though...

Pagusas

Elden Member
I'm sure it's already been said, but the new MacBook Pro USB power adapter works perfect with the Switch. It's nice on trips I can just bring it for both my MacBook Pro and Switch.

Also the included USB-C cable with the Pro Controller is really heavy duty.

Thinking about grabbing the PowerCore Fusion 5000

I don't really expect to need more than 1 extra charge, I rarely take trips, and ones longer than 6 hours are few and far between. Wish this had a type-c port instead of a 2nd type-a port, but other than that it seems perfect for my use case.

Sheentak

I'm sure it's already been said, but the new MacBook Pro USB power adapter works perfect with the Switch. It's nice on trips I can just bring it for both my MacBook Pro and Switch.

Also the included USB-C cable with the Pro Controller is really heavy duty.

Can you buy these separately?

psychotron

This thread seems crazy overwhelming. I'm looking for a 10' usb c cable used only for charging the classic controller or joycons in the charge grip while playing. My system stays docked all the time so I don't need to charge that. What would be considered a really good choice?

I'm all set on an SD card.

thecrunked

I have always had issues with microsd cards failing in my android phones/tablets.. Usually they last 6-12 months before the inevitably fail. Anyone know the most durable, trustworthy brand?

Samsung Evo is pretty much the most reliable.
Avoid SanDisk like the plague. I've gone thru 3 in 8 months and their customer service is atrocious, you need to be fluent in Hindi to understand them.

Basically if an SD card has a lifetime warranty, don't buy it. They give lifetime warranties cause their products suck

I just picked up USB Wall Charger since it has a input of AC 100~240V 50/60Hz and an output of 5V 2.4A, which is what the Switch uses right? Going to use the USB C cable that came with my pro controller as well. It should work right?

thecrunked

I just bought a RAMPOW USB C to USB 3.0 plug from Amazon and its been working well for me.

I just needed a second charging method other than the gigantic charger Nintendo included (I'd like to leave that one with the dock eventually, I've only ever used the dock once, but might use it more in the future).

I just started using the cable with my iPad charger and it seems to be charging at a reasonable rate. I think it went from 70-90% in around 30-40 minutes.

I still need to play a game with it charging to see if it's able to hold a charge, but I'm happy with it so far

0racle

Just to be safe, I can use any charger. It will either charge slow, or limit itself at its maximum if I use something too powerful. There is no way to damage it? Ideally what voltage for a small travel charger should I use ?

Cloud7

What would guys suggest for a USB-C multi-port hub for charging purposes? I'm having multiple people come over my place for Mario Kart action and they're bringing their own switches and we'd like to play beyond the usually 3-4 hour play times with the battery.

japtor

Just to be safe, I can use any charger. It will either charge slow, or limit itself at its maximum if I use something too powerful. There is no way to damage it? Ideally what voltage for a small travel charger should I use ?
The way to possibly damage is is a faulty/working out of spec charger and/or cable. USB-C stuff is a bit more of an adventure at this time cause it's still relatively new.

For a small charger there's the usual 5V/2.0-2.4A ones. The Switch takes down to 1.5A (according to the labeling at least) while people have tested it to take up to about 2A, no clue if it charges while playing (vs just holding steady) at 1.5A though.
What would guys suggest for a USB-C multi-port hub for charging purposes? I'm having multiple people come over my place for Mario Kart action and they're bringing their own switches and we'd like to play beyond the usually 3-4 hour play times with the battery.
For USB-A find something that can provide 2.0-2.4A over all the ports simultaneously, they'll probably be listed as like 10A or something if it has 5 ports (i.e. they just show the total). Might have to look closely at the pics or description (and reviews) since some cheap out and only do that over a few with the rest at 1A.

For USB-C...hell if I know but I'd be wary. I'd avoid if it mentions Quick Charge since it shouldn't be a part of USB-C to begin with. Otherwise power wise you're looking for max 5V/3A (or 15W) per port. USB Power Delivery does more but I'm kinda thinking implementations are more likely to be cheap/sketchy (assuming you're not looking to spend a whole bunch), especially for multiple ports.

jwk94

Hey guys, so I'm in a rather odd predicament. I need a portable battery pack for my phone, but I also want it to be good for my Switch. My current phone needs a Quick Charge 2.0 or 3.0 charger or it won't charge fast enough. However, I'm going to be getting a new phone with a USB C port in a few months. So, what's a charger that best suits my needs?

jesus - I didnt know the switch is so complicated. I just bought one and am overwhelmed by all the unforeseen extras etc.

so, I should buy a long USB-A to USB-C PD cable? any is fine? this would be for charging the console in handheld mode I'm guessing?

im thinking this one is good and wont damage my console?

jwk94

jesus - I didnt know the switch is so complicated. I just bought one and am overwhelmed by all the unforeseen extras etc.

so, I should buy a long USB-A to USB-C PD cable? any is fine? this would be for charging the console in handheld mode I'm guessing?

im thinking this one is good and wont damage my console?

From what I understand, the best portable batteries are the USB PD ones. To get the best charge, get a dual-sided, USB C cable.

i recommend anker, i have their powerline+ cables (the sturdy nylon GOAT ones) for my note 5 and galaxy tab s3 with this

Anker Quick Charge 3.0 63W 5-Port USB Wall Charger, PowerPort Speed 5 for Galaxy S7 / S6 / Edge / Plus, Note 5 / 4 and PowerIQ for iPhone 7 / 6s / Plus, iPad Pro / Air 2 / mini, LG, Nexus, HTC & More

Link: http://a.co/4B5oGI6

shiyrley

Banned
Hey guys, so I'm in a rather odd predicament. I need a portable battery pack for my phone, but I also want it to be good for my Switch. My current phone needs a Quick Charge 2.0 or 3.0 charger or it won't charge fast enough. However, I'm going to be getting a new phone with a USB C port in a few months. So, what's a charger that best suits my needs?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IVMXW7G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

- One USB C input/output with no QuickCharge
- One MicroUSB input with QuickCharge
- One USB output with no QuickCharge
- One USB output with QuickCharge 3.0

The powerbank itself can be charged via both Micro USB or USB C.

Buy a USB C to USB C cable to charge the Switch. Use whatever cable you usually use to charge your phone. Go nuts.

jwk94

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IVMXW7G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

- One USB C input/output with no QuickCharge
- One MicroUSB input with QuickCharge
- One USB output with no QuickCharge
- One USB output with QuickCharge 3.0

The powerbank itself can be charged via both Micro USB or USB C.

Buy a USB C to USB C cable to charge the Switch. Use whatever cable you usually use to charge your phone. Go nuts.

Thanks for the recommendation! Actually just bought the Jackery Titan S. Seems to be the same as the RAV except the Jackery has QC 2.0 instead of 3.0. I don't really mind the difference so went with the cheaper one.

Cloud7

What do you guys think of this one?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JIWQPMW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The goal is to be able to charge and play my Switch for many hours and also do the same for my Galaxy S7 at the same time. It seems to be the right kind of wattage for the Switch or maybe it wouldn't be if I had both devices plugged in at the same time?

They suggested a wall block and a cable in the listing too. Are those good recommendations to go with that?

Vidiot

Hey, quick question everyone. Just got a new phone, the galaxy s8+ and I just wanted to know if its safe to charge my switch with the charger included with the phone? I tested it and it seems to work fine but I didnt want to continue doing it until I knew it wouldn't harm the switch in any way. Thanks!

alejo0121

Hi all!

For those who bought Kid Icarus Uprising for 3DS: the stand included with the game works as a nice stand for the Switch. It even has a slot that lets you plug the usb-c cable.

Dipship31

zigg

Anyone pick up the new Anker PowerCore+ 26800? Seems like it's pretty good for charging your Switch.
It didn't ship until this past weekend, but I've put a week in with it now.

It's perfect for the Switch. There's no "put your Switch to sleep then plug it in" nonsense. You do have to press the button on the battery to enable discharge—without it, the Switch will try to charge the battery, much like it will a MacBook—but once it lights up you can just plug it in and play and charge at the same time.

I confirmed this week that the same battery will also charge a 2016 MacBook Pro. It's a fantastic battery; doesn't even get slightly warm while powering/charging the Switch, my iPhone 6s Plus, and a random small micro-USB device at the same time.

Comes with a(n admittedly cheap-ish) USB-C cable and a much-less-cheap-feeling USB-C charger for $100.

Top Bottom