• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VOEZ |OT| 116 Songs. 6 High Schoolers. 1st Rhythm Game on Switch. This is the VOEZ!

ggx2ac

Sell me on this: I'm slighty averse to Moe but I like the electronica I heard, I like traditional unlock structures, and I'm bad at bht enjoy rhythm games.

All songs are available from the beginning, the only unlocking you do is for the diary which is the story mode of the game but you are not required to have to complete it.

Supposedly we will get more tracks later on, I can't remember whether it will be free or paid DLC.

If you are bad at rhythm games, you are able to change how fast the notes scroll down the screen. Changing the speed will not affect your score so it is accessible for anyone to be able to do hard stages but at a slower speed.

Edit: Weird, I wonder why it didn't let me post before.

ggx2ac

Reposting because it's weird it's not showing my last post on search posts.

Sell me on this: I'm slighty averse to Moe but I like the electronica I heard, I like traditional unlock structures, and I'm bad at bht enjoy rhythm games.

All songs are available from the beginning, the only unlocking you do is for the diary which is the story mode of the game but you are not required to have to complete it.

Supposedly we will get more tracks later on, I can't remember whether it will be free or paid DLC.

If you are bad at rhythm games, you are able to change how fast the notes scroll down the screen. Changing the speed will not affect your score so it is accessible for anyone to be able to do hard stages but at a slower speed.

Soi-Fong

More people need to get this game! It's soo freaking good. Just oozes quality from the music to the art to the gameplay and presentation. It's a shame that in the EShop, it's been buried unless you search for it.

tdwig

Neo Member
Previously played this on ios, just got the switch version and wow feels so much better to play on the switch. Love this game!

linid0t

What's the point of the speed adjuster? Wouldn't that put notes out of synch, or make it harder for no reason?

It basically makes the note markers fall down the screen quicker and have larger gaps between each note. It doesn't desync the gameplay from the music or anything. It's good for charts that have a lot of notes, as bigger gaps = more easy to read.

In most rhythm games I play I try to increase the speed as high as I can still react to it, so that the charts are less condensed and cluttered looking.

Regiruler

I'm somewhat confused. Are you supposed to be able to do all charts with two fingers? There's a moment on Sprout hard where it seems impossible with just two fingers (and it's really far into the song so it's unexpected).

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm somewhat confused. Are you supposed to be able to do all charts with two fingers? There's a moment on Sprout hard where it seems impossible with just two fingers (and it's really far into the song so it's unexpected).

You can beat everything on expert with two fingers BUUUUUUUT it's far far easier if you use 4 and play it set on a surface

Regiruler

You can beat everything on expert with two fingers BUUUUUUUT it's far far easier if you use 4 and play it set on a surface

It's sort of a weird design. I think the game would be better if it decided that 2 was the maximum input and designed around that, or establish earlier on that you need x number of fingers for a given song.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
It's sort of a weird design. I think the game would be better if it decided that 2 was the maximum input and designed around that, or establish earlier on that you need x number of fingers for a given song.

It just gets to the point where there is so much shit happening at once that it's just easier to always play with 4. I'm disabled so I'm kinda stuck going all thumbs and half the time I'm fucking grateful I'm double jointed on some of this shit LOL

Like when there are a billion white dots on the screen they expect you to swipe all over, but if you are using 4 fingers you can just hold your fingers in place over all of them

Regiruler

Is there a systematic difference between Hard and Special? I can't imagine how Longest Night (15 on hard) actually gets easier (13 on special).

Could just be busted difficulty levels.

Is there a systematic difference between Hard and Special? I can't imagine how Longest Night (15 on hard) actually gets easier (13 on special).

Could just be busted difficulty levels.

Actually, it really does get easier on special.

The systematic difference is that special has more moving notes and visual tricks in general. But The Longest Night on special actually gets rid of the dexterously challenging tricks from hard - all the "pat your head and rub your stomach" parts are gone and replaced with plain symmetrical notes.

I think dropping progression from this game meant that higher difficulties could be completely different charts and not just harder versions of lower difficulty charts. And the "boss" of hard (which The Longest Night definitely is) need not be the "boss" of special.

Regiruler

I don't like how the diary has pretty high requirements to proceed. I would think they would have more easy requirements before proceeding to hard then near immediately special.

I don't like how the diary has pretty high requirements to proceed. I would think they would have more easy requirements before proceeding to hard then near immediately special.

After the first few pages, the vast majority of pages are just score milestones, plus a handful of perfect or all perfect requirements.

This is mainly because on mobile most pages don't unlock anything, except for the first few.

hamchan

I think it's fairly standard design for rhythm games to increase the number of inputs for harder songs or harder difficulty levels. 2 being the maximum sounds really limiting to me.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
So ive had this game since day 1, and ive actually played it for over 5 hours, probably alot more now, but has the devs said anything about the free updates thats coming? The last 2 times I played I noticed some songs I havent seen/heard before on it, but its hard to figure if these were added or I just didnt notice them.

I also have this on my android phone and never really play it there, but I always get updates of new songs and such on it, any word on this for switch?

Also I wish there were more categories, I overall prefer the songs with lyrics and would like to play all of them easily.

I downloaded this game but haven't played it yet, for a rhythm game noob is it accessible?

Absolutely. Playing on easy mode and using the difficulty sort (instead of alphabetic) you should be able to start on the easiest stuff and work your way up very nicely. As you play, you'll get better so you'll eventually hit a wall - but all but the best of us do, so that's just something to work at once you get there. :)

So ive had this game since day 1, and ive actually played it for over 5 hours, probably alot more now, but has the devs said anything about the free updates thats coming? The last 2 times I played I noticed some songs I havent seen/heard before on it, but its hard to figure if these were added or I just didnt notice them.

I also have this on my android phone and never really play it there, but I always get updates of new songs and such on it, any word on this for switch?

Also I wish there were more categories, I overall prefer the songs with lyrics and would like to play all of them easily.

I haven't seen any updates yet. Should be 116 songs and 3 modes for each, so 348 total on the status screen. The updates that are coming have been said to be "free DLC" - but I'm not sure if they mean it'll be an update or something you'll have to manually find and download for free.

69wpm

Yeah, I’ve hit a wall myself. Haven’t played a rhythm game since Taiko on the Wii and even that was just for fun. I can’t seem to advance now, it’s way too hard.

pariah164

I just downloaded this and fell in love. Technika Tune on the Vita left me cold, but this game, despite being touchscreen only, plays beautifully, and the song number and variety is INSANE. Definitely pouring a lot of time into this one.

Regiruler

In what universe is the hard version of Dynamo only a 9? It certainly isn't this one, I played it and hard rotating sky back to back, Sky was way easier.

Regiruler

HOW THE FUCK DO YOU EVEN DO THESE HOLD SLIDES. I've missed the same 3 in dynamo hard 5 times in a row, even ignoring other notes I can't do them.

zeioIIDX

In what universe is the hard version of Dynamo only a 9? It certainly isn't this one, I played it and hard rotating sky back to back, Sky was way easier.

Downloaded the game last night and this was my first 9 that I played. Didn't seem that bad but then again, I clear 11s in beatmaniaIIDX (not stealth bragging 'cause I still suck at IIDX overall). The good thing is that if Dynamo Hard 9 is tricky/difficult to ya, there seems to be plenty of level 7 and 8 charts as well as other 9s that you can practice to improve your skill. You'll come back to Dynamo Hard 9 soon enough and be like "Wait, how did I ever think this was tough?" Lol.

Digging the game by the way. The presentation and aesthetic is amazing, reminds me of the high quality stuff in the DJ Max and Pump It Up series (both are Korean). This game is scratching my rhythm game itch for now but I'd love to see DJ Max (Respect or Technika) on the Switch one day.

I feel like I've already asked this here but is there a genre breakdown of the music in this game? I'm intrigued but I'm not sure I'll find a lot of music to enjoy. Is there any rock? Metal?

Regiruler

I feel like I've already asked this here but is there a genre breakdown of the music in this game? I'm intrigued but I'm not sure I'll find a lot of music to enjoy. Is there any rock? Metal?
I'd say 40% of it could be classified as straight electronic, 30% very japanese stuff, 20% overlap, 10% softer piano songs. I'd say among the electronic stuff, 50% uses dubstep?

There's a small bit of rock, no metal.

Very LTTP on this but got this for my tablet a little while back and am really enjoying it - certainly more than Beats which I was predominantly playing on there before. Am at that awkward stage where anything below about 8 feels a bit basic but can't get much above a B/C on anything above 11 or so. Looking forward to practicing more and normalising playing with 4 fingers. I particularly like the sections where you're performing holds whilst hitting other notes - it's really satisfying and something I don't really come across in the rhythm games I play other than Miku Future Tone.

The background music and aesthetic of the game in general is such a breath of fresh air compared to most rhythm games. I play it before bed quite a lot and I just kinda associate the guitar intro as the game loads up with relaxing before sleep now.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hot damn, 18 FREE songs? That's pretty awesome they're adding it via update instead of making it paid DLC.

One of these days, I might just give in instead of waiting for a sale since I've started to realize there's a void in my gaming, as it's been so damn long since I've played a Konami music game & it'd be nice to play something similar to what they've done. Games like Superbeat Xonic & the Project Diva games help, but this might satisfy me a bit more since using the Switch's touch screen will make it stand out a bit more compared to just using buttons.

Robin64

I haven't nabbed this yet, but did get Rudymical as it was cheap and thought it would fill a rhythmn gaming void on my Switch. It didn't, that game is total garbage.

Think I'll nab this today. Devs giving free updates is a good thing in my book.

ggx2ac

Aside from the free update coming up.

https://twitter.com/CIRCLE_Ent/status/868037198729408512

Happy Birthday to #VOEZ (1st anniversary), and thanks for Nintendo Switch gamers! https://t.co/mpuOSosQDW

DAvjOKIXkAgLlEB.jpg

ghibli99

I thought $25 might be a bit steep, but I went ahead and bought it. All the reviews and impressions make it sound like something I'm going to love. I was really into IIDX and DJMP, and would love something that grabs me like that first DJMP on PSP. Recently playing Thumper, I'm feeling the rhythm game bug again. Thanks for all of the info and detailed impressions in here!

The update is out now!

Just downloaded it. You can now sort the music between the different versions (1.0 and 1.1).

1.1 is where the new songs are. Haven't tried any yet.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Not sure if it's worth mentioning, but in the new Switch firmware update, there's a feature that lets you select which news channels you want to follow & of the 6 that're available, Voez is one of them, despite no recent news posts. I wonder if this means there'll be future updates.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
There was a software update on voez even after the firmware update, I don't know if there were more songs added but I feel like I've played a new one
Edit: I see the update was already out I just missed it

Top Bottom