• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Halo 4 GI information (Spartan OPs, multi, etc) [Update: Campaign/More Details]

Armor Lock is gone. Spartan Ops will scratch that and other itches.

image.gif

Elginer

Ascend from rampancy with forerunner tech putting her in a human cloon so dax can has his sexy time moment with chief and cortana.

Im i doing it right ?
;) You're doing it right. Also am super excited for Spartan Ops, I don't have all the time in the world to play a game and this looks like an awesome quick 1-2 hour fix with some friends. Love it!

Cimarron

Never understood the hate for armour lock. I liked how it mixed up the gameplay in multiplayer. It was pretty useless during the campaign but during multiplayer it really forced players to be creative instead of relying on the same old techniques. Spartan ops sounds cool though. I like co-op and if it is a bastard child of campaign and firefight I'll be ok with it.

Detox

Armour Lock in-game micro-transaction confirmed, you can even customise the colour of the shield around your Spartan.

Overdoziz

Banned
Never understood the hate for armour lock. I liked how it mixed up the gameplay in multiplayer. It was pretty useless during the campaign but during multiplayer it really forced players to be creative instead of relying on the same old techniques.
It did nothing but slow down the game to a crawl.

Striker

It did nothing but slow down the game to a crawl.
They kept Camo in. :\

Outside Evade (on Spartans), Camo is easily my most hated AA. Turns combat into a stalemate and either causes one person to crouch or move slowly around or the person dies because the person invisible comes out of his shell with a double melee blast to the face.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Armor Lock renamed Spartan Lock, Frankie is just trollin'.

TheOddOne

They kept Camo in. :\

Outside Evade (on Spartans), Camo is easily my most hated AA. Turns combat into a stalemate and either causes one person to crouch or move slowly around or the person dies because the person invisible comes out of his shell with a double melee blast to the face.
I would no mind it if there was something to counter it. None of the AA's had anything to counter them.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Eh, Armor Lock was a great addition to Reach. Sad to see it go, but excited to see what 343i does differently.

wwm0nkey

Never understood the hate for armour lock. I liked how it mixed up the gameplay in multiplayer. It was pretty useless during the campaign but during multiplayer it really forced players to be creative instead of relying on the same old techniques. Spartan ops sounds cool though. I like co-op and if it is a bastard child of campaign and firefight I'll be ok with it.

It stopped the game thats why its hated, from a gameplay standpoint is absolutely an awful thing, even the Title Update Armor Lock was pretty shitty.

EDIT: People seriously liked that shit? The hell is this, I thought people liked FUN not game breaking and stopping things like Armor Lock.

DarkChild

Banned
Just seen SP shots...OMG those visuals looks fucking amazing. Faces looks so much better too, and interior lighting is off the hook. Reminds me a bit of Crysis 2. This will be best looking 360 game when its out, no doubt about that.

BigTnaples

It stopped the game thats why its hated, from a gameplay standpoint is absolutely an awful thing, even the Title Update Armor Lock was pretty shitty.

EDIT: People seriously liked that shit? The hell is this, I thought people liked FUN not game breaking and stopping things like Armor Lock.

Silent majority probably liked or didn't mind armor lock. The vocal minority always beats them out though...

I liked armor lock when used right it was effectively, and led to many Holy sh**!! "Halo Moments" which is why most people were fans of the game in the first place.

BigTnaples

Just seen SP shots...OMG those visuals looks fucking amazing. Faces looks so much better too, and interior lighting is off the hook. Reminds me a bit of Crysis 2. This will be best looking 360 game when its out, no doubt about that.

Yeah, I am looking forward to seeing the first in game campaign teaser. (Kind of wish they had waited and done the annoucment using in game assets as H2 and H3 did.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
You think we could get campaign Vidoc before E3?
I expect their big campaign reveal to be at E3, so no, no vidoc (343 actually calls them BTS's -- Behind The Scenes) before hand. I totally expect a multiplayer vidoc, though, with basic details on the perks/modifications system and maybe even Spartan Ops.

TheOddOne

You think we could get campaign Vidoc before E3?
They said they will focus on multiplayer, they want to keep the singleplayer under wraps. Although, there is a huge chance we will see the missions discribed in the article in action; because they where not shy on detailing those.

A team that had only armor lock was devastating. When I'd go up against that, it felt like Whac-a-mole game; I'd start shooting a guy, he'd go into armor lock, his teammate would have time to come over and start shooting at me, I'd start shooting at him, the initial armor lock guy pop out of it and start shooting and the second guy would go into armor lock. Its pretty laughable to me that Bungie let this pass through all the rigorous testing any Halo game probably goes through.

Unrelated: In a recent post Frankie was saying he knew that given x information we would think y...but if you knew that would happen why not change the way you reveal things? People are good at recovering from this stuff, most everyone who is complaining will play the game and obviously be satisfied if it works. But why mislead people? If you call something Spartan Ops and it's even vaguely reminiscent to Spec Ops, damn right people are going to think you're making a COD clone. The reason that frustrates me is because I believe that 343's controversial ideas, i.e. gameplay progression, are exactly what we need. So why catalyze the confusion? Is it all part of the plan; make us uneasy and then boom! Godliness in our face? Interesting marketing strategy there.

I do believe more active/passive mods and progression is the future of competitive shooter games, but in order to make others believe that, I just hope 343 takes it as their own and does something better with it. Halo has always been an awesome competitive game (minus a few bumps in the road), and I hope it doesn't fall into fabricating the money machine that is the Call of Duty franchise.

I still trust 343i, just a couple things in the newly released info that really made me ask, "why?".

BigTnaples

How do you know this?

"Probably" indicates knowledge of nothing. That is just my opinion going off the fact that in all my time playing or discussing this game with joe smoe Halo fans, I never heard any negative comments about armor lock. Yet b.net and forums on the internet made it seem as if the apocalypse had happened.

DarkChild

Banned
I expect their big campaign reveal to be at E3, so no, no vidoc (343 actually calls them BTS's -- Behind The Scenes) before hand. I totally expect a multiplayer vidoc, though, with basic details on the perks/modifications system and maybe even Spartan Ops.

They said they will focus on multiplayer, they want to keep the singleplayer under wraps. Although, there is a huge chance we will see the missions discribed in the article in action; because they where not shy on detailing those.
K, thx guys!

Yea, there's less than 2 months until E3, I highly doubt SP footage will come between now and then.

Guaranteed they'll save it for last at their conference. A trailer opening up slowly with Chief and Cortana, and turning in a montage of SP action.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yea, there's less than 2 months until E3, I highly doubt SP footage will come between now and then.

Guaranteed they'll save it for last at their conference. A trailer opening up slowly with Chief and Cortana, and turning in a montage of SP action.
I don't expect much, honestly. Even just showing off some of the new enemies and weapons would make a big enough impression, I think. Also showing off the gorgeous graphics engine. That's enough to get people hyped, I'd say.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Wow, news to me about the BR spread. How the hell are the DMR and BR going to co-exist with a change like that? DMR still going to have bloom or something? lol

"Probably" indicates knowledge of nothing. That is just my opinion going off the fact that in all my time playing or discussing this game with joe smoe Halo fans, I never heard any negative comments about armor lock. Yet b.net and forums on the internet made it seem as if the apocalypse had happened.

I agree, bloom was the best thing to happen to Halo since duel wielding, the powers that be keep taking the best features away from us, damn them.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, news to me about the BR spread. How the hell are the DMR and BR going to co-exist with a change like that? DMR still going to have bloom or something? lol
Frankie actually said that bloom hasn't been ruled out entirely. It's not in the BR, but it might be in other weapons. This was in some interview, or maybe a 343 weekly bulletin, shortly after Halo 4 was revealed last month.

Man this game is looking purdy. Of course I don't expect it to look as good as the screenshots when I'm playing it, but at least they've improved the art, which has been really lacking in the series. Reach was a step in the right direction, and it seems that Halo 4 is a few steps ahead.

Don't care much for the multiplayer changes. I play it very casually, and as long as it feels more like a Halo game than a COD, I won't at all mind new gameplay types and gameplay features.

Petrichor

I didn't play reach multi for long but during the time that I did I used and loved armour lock and the strategy it brought to the game. Why did everyone end up hating it?

Frankie actually said that bloom hasn't been ruled out entirely. It's not in the BR, but it might be in other weapons. This was in some interview, or maybe a 343 weekly bulletin, shortly after Halo 4 was revealed last month.

I think it was that bloom like it was in vanilla Reach would not return.

Ryaaan14

Banned

I kinda remember that, but do you see where I'm coming from? A spreadless BR is too much like a DMR that it makes absolutely zero sense they'd be in the same game. I have a feeling Ellis was talking out his ass or something.

daedalius

The 'same old techniques' such as shooting you in the face and killing you in a timely manner.

Why would we want that?

I wouldn't mind an 85% bloom DMR alongside a nospread/hitscan BR (which is what they have in there currently). If one is 4sk and the other is 5sk, will be interesting to see how they balance them against each other.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I wouldn't mind an 85% bloom DMR alongside a nospread/hitscan BR (which is what they have in there currently). If one is 4sk and the other is 5sk, will be interesting to see how they balance them against each other.

Would you honestly ever touch the DMR in that case?

JdFoX187

Banned
The 'same old techniques' such as shooting you in the face and killing you in a timely manner.

Why would we want that?

There's nothing wrong with expanding upon and changing the gameplay mechanics. Otherwise, we run into a CoD situation where it's the same ole shit. Problem with armor lock is it went against everything that Halo was -- fast-paced (for consoles) mobile combat. When someone went into armor lock, the game just stopped right there. And I'm not even an armor lock hater. I think jetpacks are much, much more offensive.

It'll be balanced just like the Retro Lancer and standard Lancer are in Gears. It's no different than having the Carbine, which was single shot, against the BR in Halo 2/3.

Tawpgun

Silent majority probably liked or didn't mind armor lock. The vocal minority always beats them out though...

I liked armor lock when used right it was effectively, and led to many Holy sh**!! "Halo Moments" which is why most people were fans of the game in the first place.

Armor Lock sympathizers.

smh.

Silent Majority hated it too. All my friends who never talk about games online hated it. In fact, the only people I've seen who actually liked Armor Lock I saw online. And it was very few.

You're entitled to your opinion, but your opinion is honestly shit and I don't say that very often. I can see the reasoning behind people liking bloom, the other AA's, etc etc. But Armor Lock? No sympathy.

It damn near ruined the game. It's why Bungie and 343 took it out of almost every playlist save a few.

This was being complained about on HaloGAF forever until they started removing it everywhere. We got Squad Slayer (RIP) Team Objective, and other playlists that had it removed.
I feel like the same people who like Armor Lock are the people who play AR starts multi team all day.

daedalius

Well, it depends.

If they bring back the DMR with a 3x scope and have (85%)bloom on it and/or just lock the rate-of-fire, it is a excellent long range cross map weapon; a mini-sniper (just like it is now, lol).

However, in close-mid range combat, it would be trumped by the BR more often than not, given equal skill levels.

So, if I can pick my weapon loadout, you better believe I'd take a BR and DMR. I'd use the DMR for long range encounters and pinging, and the BR for everything else ;)

Ryaaan14

Banned
It'll be balanced just like the Retro Lancer and standard Lancer are in Gears. It's no different than having the Carbine, which was single shot, against the BR in Halo 2/3.

But hasn't the Carbine been confirmed already as a returning weapon? I know a lot of other games present you with similar weapon choices, but that is not typical in Halo, usually it's just the battle of the 2 midrange weapons ie BR/Carbine, DMR/Needle Rifle

Well, it depends.

If they bring back the DMR with a 3x scope and have (85%)bloom on it and/or just lock the rate-of-fire, it is a excellent long range cross map weapon; a mini-sniper (just like it is now, lol).

However, in close-mid range combat, it would be trumped by the BR more often than not, given equal skill levels.

So, if I can pick my weapon loadout, you better believe I'd take a BR and DMR. I'd use the DMR for long range encounters and pinging, and the BR for everything else ;)

If the BR is hitscan with no spread, how will that not be affective at long range/pinging? The BR requires spread to NOT be a DMR.

Jarlaxle

And there go my hopes for this game. No amount of "clarification" can make all of these horrible things go away.

- Sprint as a constant I think this is great. I just wish they would do away with the other abilities.
- Joining during matches (probably means no quit penalty) Eh. I could've done without this.
- Instant respawn Doesn't bother me.
- Weapon and ability unlocks I have to hear more about this before deciding if this will be bad.
- Custom classes Same as above.
- No firefight Never really played so I couldn't care less.
- Random weapons spawns, making the fun of learning the maps and weapons pointless. Interested to see how this turns out. I do like to know where to go to get certain things on the map but I also hated people just camping by the rockets/shotgun/sword/etc.

I guess we'll see how it turns out. I'm not as upset as most of you.

Top Bottom