• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid: PS4 controller prototype & devkit photo, [Up: New Photo/Info In OP]

Gadirok

Vita D-pad is amazing. I am so glad they brought that into this.

Ususally I hear people praising the Dpad on playstation controllers. I have honestly preferred analog nubs/control sticks for so long and always detested the Dpad on Nintendo consoles and sony consoles/handhelds.

The vita dpad just felt differently. How it clicks in and I feel that response is guaranteed that its my fault, not my assumption that I clicked it in. It felt more or less to R2 and L2 to me, which I despise.

Anyways it looks like the vita dpad so I'm happy.

Eusis

Concave analog sticks, finally.
Looks like some bizarre fusion of concave and convex to me actually. Like Convex with a rim. I don't know if that actually helps or not, b ut I never cared as much as some people did anyway, rubber topping mattered more.

Looks kind of cool. The thing I always have disliked about PS controllers is how flimsy and light weight they are. So making it a little heftier wouldn't be a bad thing IMO.

M.D

I like the the mic in the controller. Also, the D-Pad looks good.
The controller is too big, and the sticks looks weird, but it's obviously not the final design/product.

I don't think I like the touch screen/pad tho. It probably has some practical uses like menus, but I just don't like it.

CREMSteve

I hope there's a way to turn off that Move light if you're playing something that doesn't use it. That light will be a battery killer.

headphonejackudk6s.jpg

Headphone jack of some sort?

I was just going to point that out. God, I hope it's a headphone jack!

Izick

I'm pretty ready to see the games at this point. We got the controller out of the way, now let's see what games Sony has in store for this holiday.

pirata

Remember, everyone, early dev kits are usually ad hoc, ghetto shit. This is probably far more indicative of the controller's functionality rather than its form-factor.

So what is the little bump underneath the analogs and controller, is there the new plug in port seeing as they have had to move it for what I imagine is the move sensor thing.

Isn't that just the same playstation button we have already just further down?

Yes, your right. Everything just looks so strange and foreign.

params7

Banned
If its a 3.5mm jack how will the wireless transmission work? Bluetooth A2DP? I hope not because it actually sucks for music quality.

ironcreed

Banned
I actually like a bit more meat on the handles. A slight evolution of the Dualshock is all I wanted and it looks like that is what we are getting based on reports, as well as this. Can't wait for that sexy final version to be revealed.

Midas

This looks much closer to a 360 pad and since that is by far my favorite controller I am pretty stoked with this. It looks much more comfortable ergonomically

I agree. Don't understand the people who think it's too big? I bet it will be really comfortable.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Generally like what I'm seeing in terms of expanded functionality. Happy to see the Move LED implemented on the base controller so that taking advantage of that capability (if you want) won't necessarily require buying a separate controller anymore. Like the idea proposed by Swift that the touchpad is clickable on the left and right side for Select and Start (which would actually be an improvement in their accessibility). I really wish that speaker grid was for a microphone instead, because I can't really think of what I need a speaker on the controller itself for. But prototype of course, so who knows.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
im guessing the PS button will have dual functionality.

hold it for menu stuff

tap it for share stuff.

if the share thing is real.

The... thing ... in the middle reminds me of an 80s IR tv remote top.

Someone had to have taken this picture, why didn't they provide any details on what is what?

I hope they don't bother with some shitty little screen in the middle, it's pointless.

Top Bottom