• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Al Franken resigns

quickwhips

Lol. He wasn't even touching Tweeden in the photo. He resigned because more accusers came out and unlike the Grand Old Pedophile party, his colleagues pressured him out.

It's not a witch hunt if there are actually witches.
Some aren’t witches. Hence why I called it a witch hunt.

Kinda scummy how he tried to use everyone's justified hate of Trump to lessen his own repercussions. "He did it worse than I did" probably doesn't sit too well with the victims of his own harassment.

SDCowboy

Kinda scummy how he tried to use everyone's justified hate of Trump to lessen his own repercussions. "He did it worse than I did" probably doesn't sit too well with the victims of his own harassment.

Yep. The whataboutism was a bad way to go out. Not a good look.

lutheran

Franken would have done EXACTLY like Trump and Moore have done if there weren't any pictures. He would have denied it all or severely minimized what happened to a difference in memories.

daman824

Franken would have done EXACTLY like Trump and Moore have done if there weren't any pictures. He would have denied it all or severely minimized what happened to a difference in memories.
Nah, because unlike the GOP and Trump or Moore, Frankens party pressured him to give up his position

lutheran

Nah, because unlike the GOP and Trump or Moore, Frankens party pressured him to give up his position

They did that because they know the Governor of Minnesota will appoint another democrat to the seat. If Moore is forced to not run, the democrats will win Alabama. If the democrats had any thoughts that a republican would be sitting in Frankens seat next week they would have let the ethics committee handle the whole thing. Just my opinion, but that is politics in this country.

Atrus

Gold Member
The problem with pointing out others as being worse is that we cannot know if Franken would have gone into the same things if given enough time.

Catching a serial predator early would definitely make him seem more saintly than an ongoing one but it doesn’t change the underlying issue of serial predators.

This isn’t a case of doubt as Franken himself acknowledges his behaviour. The perfect defense for allegations is not doing any of it in any capacity.

daman824

They did that because they know the Governor of Minnesota will appoint another democrat to the seat. If Moore is forced to not run, the democrats will win Alabama. If the democrats had any thoughts that a republican would be sitting in Frankens seat next week they would have let the ethics committee handle the whole thing. Just my opinion, but that is politics in this country.
I disagree, they could work to remove Trump from office right now and his replacement would be Pence. Also, this is Alabama we’re talking about. A write in has a higher chance of winning than a democrat. Roy Moore leaving wouldn’t have handed the election to the other party

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/06/politics/al-franken-latest/index.html

He calls out Trump in his resignation speech.

Democrats force accused sexual predators resign, republicans elect them.

Lol the Democratic party allows sexual predators to stick around, admit no wrongdoing, and leave when they feel like it. Just like the GOP.

Al Franken resigned because he didn't feel like dealing with the social pressure that emanated from the misconduct allegations that started coming in around the middle of Nov. Moreover, he didn't feel like putting up with people's impatience with respect to allowing an ethics investigation to take place. The exact date he's leaving the Senate is in the coming weeks and at his discretion.

t-storm

That was a terrible speech.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Al.

pramod

Banned
Not sure if this was the right decision by the Dems to force him out like that. It sets bad precedent that might come back to bite them in the ass.

What if the next accused Dem doesn't have a Dem Governor running the state who can just replace him with another Dem? What then?

Breads

Banned
Lol the Democratic party allows sexual predators to stick around, admit no wrongdoing, and leave when they feel like it. Just like the GOP.

Al Franken resigned because he didn't feel like dealing with the social pressure that emanated from the misconduct allegations that started coming in around the middle of Nov. Moreover, he didn't feel like putting up with people's impatience with respect to allowing an ethics investigation to take place. The exact date he's leaving the Senate is in the coming weeks and at his discretion.

Bullshit.

GOP only has morals just as long as there are GOP options available. That is their only true principle.

Bullshit.

GOP only has morals just as long as there are GOP options available. That is their only true principle.

Do you believe the Democratic party wouldn't behave in the same way if there was a credible GOP threat to that seat? Lmao.

Al Franken's selfish, damaging resignation speech
Anna North said:
The senator squandered an opportunity to do good, and offered a master class in what not to do when accused of sexual misconduct.

This is the kind of stuff the Democratic party lets happen on their watch.

llien

And how many men are denying all allegations? And how many are basically confining it? Yeah they are guilty lol.

What are you talking about, Al Franken himself is denying the allegations.

Had their been no photo evidence he would have never resigned.

I don't see him touching her on the photo (and I see her touching the singer, on other photo which some insist has been taken on the same day):

qQy9MxO.png

Not that it matters at this point though.

Nipo

So domestic violence, like chris brown, doesn't kill your career but grabbing butts during photo shoots does.

Lynn616

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/06/politics/al-franken-latest/index.html

He calls out Trump in his resignation speech.

Democrats force accused sexual predators resign, republicans elect them.

One has evidence and the other doesn't. Also if the Governor of Minnesota was Republican I do not believe he would be resigning.

And how many men are denying all allegations? And how many are basically confining it? Yeah they are guilty lol.

We cant just accept anyone's statements as true without evidence.

Yeah, Schumer should have held a gun to his head and made him give a better speech.

Lol. The reality is Schumer gave Al Franken a big hug and a pat on the back after his speech.

Remember this is a speech where Franken effectively called his accusers liars. Showed the public he doesn't know the meaning of irony. And announced he'll still be around for weeks...apparently he'll take his sweet time to pack his bags and be gone by the end of the month.

I guess that's where the "moral high ground" is these days. But tbh it just shows what the leaders of the Democratic party and rising stars like Franken are all about:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqN6FLj7kJQ

Dude Abides

Banned
Lol. The reality is Schumer gave Al Franken a big hug and a pat on the back after his speech.

Remember this is a speech where Franken effectively called his accusers liars. Showed the public he doesn't know the meaning of irony. And announced he'll still be around for weeks...apparently he'll take his sweet time to pack his bags and be gone by the end of the month.

I guess that's where the "moral high ground" is these days. But tbh it just shows what the leaders of the Democratic party and rising stars like Franken are all about:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqN6FLj7kJQ

This is so dumb. The leaders of the Democratic party have no control over what kind of speech Franken gives. They forced him out. They can't prevent him from talking.

frogger

One has evidence and the other doesn't. Also if the Governor of Minnesota was Republican I do not believe he would be resigning.

We cant just accept anyone's statements as true without evidence.

Hollywood access tape? Moore's writing on year book?

WaterAstro

Well, he's not a sexual predator. Predator implies something more insidious.

He just did some stupid sexual harassment with his colleague thinking it was fine.

Top Bottom