• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Friday the 13th: The Game |OT| You and your friends are dead. GAME OVER

kodecraft

Even the few scenes we got in busy areas exposed the weakness of the idea: Jason seems to want to kill everyone...but he walks by a shitload of potential victims in Manhattan to go after the final girl and her man. So he doesn't want to kill everyone?

Jason will kill anyone but I don't think he is set out to kill everyone. That's why he remains at Crystal Lake.

The remake made a ton of money, yet they kept failing at getting a sequel to it off the ground. Also FvJ was a huge hit too.

Seriously. It's annoying.

Haven't almost all of the Friday the 13th movies made a profit?

All have. Worst revenue from Friday 5: A New Beginning. Which was supposed to be the beginning of a new trilogy with Tommy J as the killer but it sucked so hard they scrapped it. Which led to Friday 6 having the tagline Jason Lives.

No, Jason X was the only Friday movie not to make a profit, in theaters anyways. But I'm sure with TV/streaming/rentals/dvd sales, it finally turned one.

Spman2099

I want Fede Álvarez (Evil Dead, Don't Breath) to make a Friday the 13th movie. I think he would nail it.

Also, if you are looking for a match on the PS4, I am currently sitting in an empty room, guys. Feel free to join me. I am a member of the Friday the 13th GAF community.

Jason will kill anyone but I don't think he is set out to kill everyone. That's why he remains at Crystal Lake.

His M.O. (for the most part) is "When I was a kid, these bunch of teenage pothead loose individuals let me drown. Now, as a magical murderer, I shall get my revenge."

So most of it is Crystal Lake because he's avenging himself. He's really more of a hero than anything else.

Has anyone else encountered a glitch where a counsellor is hiding in the cupboard but it doesn't give you the option of killing him inside It? It's happened in a couple games I've been in

This happened to me today, as Jason. It was annoying as shit, but once he realized everyone was watching him he ran out.

wig

I just played my first game as Jason and wow, I was pathetic. I couldn't even get one kill lmao. I mostly spent my time trying to figure out how he works. They all ended up escaping by using the police exit and one of the cars. It was an embarrassing mess. I immediately changed my spawn preference to counselor after that.

They need to have a Jason tutorial with bots. Gun please.

I just played my first game as Jason and wow, I was pathetic. I couldn't even get one kill lmao. I mostly spent my time trying to figure out how he works. They all ended up escaping by using the police exit and one of the cars. It was an embarrassing mess. I immediately changed my spawn preference to counselor after that.

Nah Jason is easy once you get familiar with it. Learn from what good Jason's do when you're a counsellor. Morph to a car when you start normally at least one counsellor spawns by one. Lay traps at the car and the boat. Unless the police are called real early don't sweat not killing any counsellors in the first 5 minutes.

Spman2099

I have played a shit-ton of this game, and I just played two of the most pathetic matches of all time (every move I made was a stupid one). So don't worry, a crap performance won't even be noticed.

Just keep your eye on high value targets. Or go to clusters of cabins. You will find people easily enough.

Another great and fun moment with the game.
Two of the counselors were really quick to get a car working. I was really closed to them, so I rushed to the car, they inked as if to call my attention. As soon as I'm reaching the car they step on the gas. They do this one more time (hahaha -_-), then Jason appeared, but he focused on the car and I ran. I could see the car going around the map messing with Jason and the other counselors but then they crashed and Jason killed them both. I ended up dying but returning as Tommy. Went after their car and managed to escape with it. Felt good man.
The game is full of bugs and flaws, but there are some really good moments to be enjoyed!

I never thought I'd say this but maybe the comments about Jason's teleport + grab have some validity. Just played 3 games in a row where the people who were Jason seem to have mastered the technique. Even zig-zagging or juking didn't work on this guys. Felt so helpless.

Stiler

A few tips:

Jasons powers; powers unlock as you play the match.

1. Morph: You start with morph as Jason, which when used brings up the map and then you can warp anywhere you want to. It's a good idea to warp to the car or boat and place down your trap (R on keyboard) which will place a trap on the ground and alert you whenever someone steps on it. You want to place it right in front of the car so it'll catch whoever tries to put a battery in it.

2. Sense: When you press it you will see people highlighted in red if they are close enough/scared enough, if they are in a house you will see the entire house light bright red.

3. Shift: This power turns you into a mist and you'll go into a first person view and quickly speed up in whatever direction you are facing. You can now "slow" down, but it can be cancelled by attacking or grabbing (mouse left/right button).

4. Stalk: This power allows you to be quiet. Counselors will no longer hear the music play when you are near them and it will also heighten your sense and let you hear counselors better. This ability will be cancelled if you are spotted or attack a counselor.

One of the main combo's when you are chasing counselors is using sense and then shift+grab. This allows you to easily spot nearby counselors and then quickly catch up to them, just run straight into them and as soon as you hit them push the grab button to grab them.

Using stalk is great to getting people to come out of houses. When you spot someone in a house with sense (or you see them go in) hit the stalk ability and then remain still (if you move while stalk is active it drains faster). They will not know you are waiting for them and once they are out of the house use shift to catch up to them.

Fear plays a big role in being able to easily spot counselor's with sense or making them move slowly. You can cause fear by knocking out the power while they are in a house (the generators outside of it, press e) or wounding them.

Also if you miss your grab and counselors are running, that is what throwing knives are for (middle mouse button on pc). This allows you to damage them from a distance and the more damage the slower they will be. You can also attack with your weapon (left mouse button) to damage them as well if you are close enough.

If you check your map and see a car or boat icon moving you can morph in front of it, standing in front of the car will stop it and if you get beside the boat and press e Jason will grab it and knock the people out of it.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
lol Holyshit do I suck at this game but fuck it I don't even care been getting into consistent matches all night long, running smooth. Feels good man. Time to get good

I never thought I'd say this but maybe the comments about Jason's teleport + grab have some validity. Just played 3 games in a row where the people who were Jason seem to have mastered the technique. Even zig-zagging or juking didn't work on this guys. Felt so helpless.
It's broken tier, everything is fair game but there's no defense to this. (except a pocket knife)

arimanius

So just got my first game where a guy was helping Jason by telling him where everyone was and opening the doors while also trying to team kill. So lame.

It's broken tier, everything is fair game but there's no defense to this. (except a pocket knife)
I seem to be terribly unlucky in finding pocket knifes. I do find a good amount of flare guns and shotguns though, but they are almost useless against Jason's who are good at the technique.

WTF is up with the lobby purges when it's full on PC? Was having a good 3-4 games with randoms and then all of a sudden just server goes down and get put with different randoms. I remember back in the beta on PC where you can play the entire day in the same lobby with the same randoms until people eventually left.

Hope they fix it in the future to not do that.

jviggy43

4 straight crashes mid match- 3 of them where I was actually doing amazing and had either the boat or car put together in the first ten minutes. Shit is getting old.

hamsjams

It's great to get matches so quickly on ps4 but my counselors are now absolutely incapable of placing bear traps to their front, or even in one consistent spot at all. Certainly makes things trickier.

The opening cutscene seems to be cut short now, too. Wonder if that's intentional.

chaosaeon

The opening cutscene seems to be cut short now, too. Wonder if that's intentional.

What happened to the different intro scenes for the different Jasons ? I remember the devs saying that was even going to be in the patch that just hit for awhile but then the patch came and that didn't happen.

Finn

Was playing a game with a bunch of random mostly with mics and it came down to me, playing Tiffany, and Jason. I avoided him three times by hiding in a corner or behind a door, then either blasting him with the shotgun when he turned around and spotted me, or throwing firecrackers before he turned around. Put up a good fight, but he got me in the end.

Next game, same guys, and I end up spawned near a Deborah. He realizes it's me and says something like, "It's that bitch that was hiding last game. Dumb. Bitch." So I grabbed a bat and started chasing his ass around, swinging. Felt good. He then called me a crazy bitch and kept asking why I was after him.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Always offer him false information. Send him somewhere no one is and then his warp is on cool down for a small chunk of time and isolated from everyone else to help you get away
I was the last person alive waiting for the cops as Tommy, had like 45 seconds left and someone told Jason where I was. Even heard Jason communicating with the person and asking how much time was left. Thought GAF private matches were above that shit. Not cool.

HiiiLife

No, we weren't exaggerating about that.

bosh

Pretty odd, originally took a while to get into a game but once your in your in.

Now it's the complete opposite, get into a game quickly but get disconnected every round.

I preferred the former to be honest.

I was the last person alive waiting for the cops as Tommy, had like 45 seconds left and someone told Jason where I was. Even heard Jason communicating with the person and asking how much time was left. Thought GAF private matches were above that shit. Not cool.

I think I was in that lobby. I kept hearing him talking to someone.

Spman2099

I think it is perfectly fine (though scummy) to throw Jason off your scent by telling him about what other people are doing, usually by saying "they have the car and are getting away." However, it is super not cool to use chat outside of the game. That is totally messed up.

JarrodL

The defense is that this ability has a cooldown, AND Jason needs to spot you first to use it. Shift is fine and working as intended imo, you're not meant to be able to escape every game, no matter how good you are. And that's as it should be.

The defense is that this ability has a cooldown, AND Jason needs to spot you first to use it. Shift is fine and working as intended imo, you're not meant to be able to escape every game, no matter how good you are. And that's as it should be.

You'd have a case of spotting if stealth wasn't complete and absolute junk in this game. Eventually the game will reveal everyone to Jason as long as he just continues to morph around the map using sense.

Grab range is broken and shift(for me) should be a tool to just make couselors use their Sprint to expend their stamina and hopefully beat them to a window they are trying to get to. None of this shift into grab into instant kill at full health garbage. In fact a very simple change for chase purposes could be Jason can't grab counselors sprinting. Give Jasons more knives to compensate.

You're not meant to escape all the time but you should be able to have a fighting chance. It wouldn't be so bad if the range wasn't ridiculous, sometimes my last resort is to fight and from way out of range when I'm in combat mode and dodge backwards there are times where he still gets me. The game is fun but the mechanics need lots of fine tuning.

SNIKT!

This is true. I was in this game spectating and heard someone telling Jason where you were, what weapon you had, etc.

Voorhees

Pretty sure that was a GAF/Reddit room. Wasn't full of GAF'fers

Top Bottom