• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raise the flame shield: Your "controversial" gaming opinion.

I can't even take a guess as to what you are referring to. Care to elaborate?
Someone mentioned this in the "why doesn't Sony have AAA JRPGs" thread and I actually agree with it. In fact I might have said something about this in this thread before, but I'm pretty sure I haven't.

It's actually something I've thought about recently. When I think of an RPG, I think of something that comes from the heritage of tabletop games. There was a pretty ballsy quote by a Bioware writer a few years ago that I agree with:

"Well, before I address the main point I just want to take a slightly more controversial route: You can put a ‘J' in front of it, but it's not an RPG," argues The Old Republic lead writer Daniel Erickson. "You don't make any choices, you don't create a character, you don't live your character... I don't know what those are --adventure games maybe? But they're not RPG's.

I think Chris Avellone also provided a reasonable limiter to what the term "RPG" means:

CA: It's a continuing debate. In my opinion, an RPG is an RPG due to character development, character customization, significant character choice and effect on the world, ability for growth (both stats and psychologically), and the ability to genuinely play a role, preferably the wider, the better. There's probably a lot more aspects, but those are the ones that jump to mind.

I don't think you necessarily need to have every single piece from that statement (e.g. The Witcher 3), but if your game lacks any character creation, any dialogue options, any way to impact the ending of a game, really any major choice and consequence...you probably haven't created an RPG. And thinking about that, I think many "JRPGs" actually lack those elements. They're more of story-based adventure games or something else.

butman

MGSV is the worst game in the serie.

Open world is empty and boring as hell. Tapes are tedious to listen. Who the fuck is the guy using the Ocelot name? The existence of Mother Base is only to make the game longer and with a crafting system. (why MG fans woild like something like crafting?). Story is Diamond Dogshit.

People who did the 100% are not MG fans.

Zakalwe

Banned
MGSV is the worst game in the serie.

Open world is empty and boring as hell. Tapes are tedious to listen. Who the fuck is the guy using the Ocelot name? The existence of Mother Base is only to make the game longer and with a crafting system. (why MG fans woild like something like crafting?). Story is Diamond Dogshit.

People who did the 100% are not MG fans.

The only part of your statement that's controversial is the last sentence (which is pretty dumb), the rest is fairly common.

I can't even take a guess as to what you are referring to. Care to elaborate?
Probably something like "if I don't get to define my own PC, I'm not role playing".

I guess this is a controversial opinion now after the outpour of support following the cancellation:

The only bad thing coming from Scalebounds cancellation is the fact that some people might be laid off because of it. The game never looked remotely interesting, something which is very un-Kamiya-like.

danmaku

I don't think you necessarily need to have every single piece from that statement (e.g. The Witcher 3), but if your game lacks any character creation, any dialogue options, any way to impact the ending of a game, really any major choice and consequence...you probably haven't created an RPG. And thinking about that, I think many "JRPGs" actually lack those elements. They're more of story-based adventure games or something else.

I'd say that most JRPGs are strategy games with a lot of cutscenes. Nothing wrong about that, strategy games can be a lot of fun, but it's not role playing. Many WRPGs also fall into the same category.

I'd say that most JRPGs are strategy games with a lot of cutscenes. Nothing wrong about that, strategy games can be a lot of fun, but it's not role playing. Many WRPGs also fall into the same category.
Most turn-based JRPG combat systems would be lucky to get up the level of thought and interactivity you can get in a strategy game. Hell, if most JRPGs ripped off the HBS Shadowrun combat system, which is a turn based strategy game, they'd be much improved over the stuff we usually get.

Cdammen

I like you, a lot of reasonable opinions that I share.

Mine is that I applaud Nintendo (and other risk-taking devs) that don't listen to their fans and do whatever the hell they want to do. Just because I want to see now ideas spawn, I usually feel "meh" about incremental improvements to existing series. Find me new ways to play, surprise me every time! Leave a legacy of trail-blazing :)

haikira

• Assassin's Creed Syndicate as a game is staggeringly bad
    I really did go in with an open mind, but I just found it to be an aggressive waste of time, to steal a quote from Conan, and also full of baffling design choices. I think it won people over simply because of it's likeable characters, and it's setting.
  • The Batmobile was perfectly fine in Arkham Knight
    It was just massively overused, especially for the bosses.
  • I loved both Dead Rising 1 & 2, but I think the second is better.
    It smoothed off the rough edges, but kept what was important.
  • People give Kojima too much of a pass. He'd went the way of George Lucas with the final Metal Gear entries, and I don't think we've lost anything of real value now that he's no longer making them.
    It just strikes me that he'd lost the plot in more ways than one, and the later entries were full of repetition, lazy bosses, witless plots, and other issues. With the exception of maybe 4, I have no clue how people like any of the games post Snake Eater.
    Dropping Hayter, without saying a thing to him, or the fans, was also ludicrous.
  • Tales from the Borderlands deserves to be Telltale's poster child, not The Walking Dead games
  • While obviously not as good as the likes of Bayonetta, DmC Definitive Edition is one of the better character action games of recent years
    I'm disappointed by how it was received. I think if it had been it's own thing with no ties to the Devil May Cry series, it would have ended up being a cult favourite.
  • People who lump all indies together, whether in the context of PS+ games, or whatever else, and say they're worthless, should really just say what the really mean.
    "I want the games that are ______" Expensive, easy, a recognisable brand, etc..

Brodnax

Holy shit, Nintendo announcements really bring the dumbest posters i've seen. It's ok if you don't like nintendo or that the Switch has some things to iron out (true).

But if you guys are going to write some criticism please at least be funny and don't go all out "lolnintendo", makes you look dumb.

Ogodei

1. Sonic was always good...but was never great. As someone who was lucky enough to experience both Sonic and Mario games side-by-side growing up (and prefers Sonic to Mario), I never understood the hate that the Sonic series got later on, but I also never understood the reverence for Genesis-era Sonic. The awkward balance between speed and platforming, and how that affects level design and controls, has been the bane of the Sonic series from the beginning and gives even the best Sonic game a rather unpolished and clunky feel compared to most of its peers. As far as platformers go, Sonic has more in common with Crash than Mario, DK, and Yoshi, it's a B-tier franchise purely in terms of gameplay. Despite this, the series excels in nearly every other aspect of a platformer: music, storytelling (3&K is a masterpiece), graphics, art style, character work, you name it. That stuff's where Sonic's true legacy and place in history lies.

Honestly, if Classic-era Sonic wasn't quite so overrated, I think that the series would be looked at more fondly overall. It'd be nice if the series was seen as the solid-but-not-spectacular series it is, rather than the once-great series it never really was.

2. The gaming industry as a whole does not, and should not, "grow up" with us, the core audience. A truly mature medium doesn't focus on one specific audience, it aims to reach as many demographics as it can, with content that appeals to them. Games are for more than just the graphics/hardware-savvy 18-35 male demographic, there's more than enough room for cheap mobile time wasters and family-friendly games to not just exist, but have the spotlight put on them for a change. Not all games have to push limits in terms of gameplay or power. The industry needs to start acting less like the comics industry and more like the television, book, and movie industry.

Second one really isn't a controversial opinion. It feels like the industry's been chasing after the same 6-10 year old kids who bought NES for the last 30 years, now those people are pushing 40 and we've definitely proven that you're never too old for video games, but where's the new market for children? Toys to life wave is over, and you have a handful of Sonic games, most of Nintendo's offerings, and Yokai Watch.

eizarus

Banned
I've finally warmed up to Kiefer Sutherland's Big Boss voice. It feels like a better match for Big Boss than Hayter's IMO. (Though I still think that for Solid Snake, there's no one better than Hayter).

Fire Emblem Warriors is a system seller.

(To me)
Holy shit, Nintendo announcements really bring the dumbest posters i've seen. It's ok if you don't like nintendo or that the Switch has some things to iron out (true).

But if you guys are going to write some criticism please at least be funny and don't go all out "lolnintendo", makes you look dumb.
This is more or less a shitposting thread of dumb, bad and controversial opinions. There's a reason so many of us love it.

Nvidia shield is secretly the 4th silent competitor. (Currently 76th place on Amazon Top sellers, not bad considering it barely is pushed in your face marketing wise)

I don't get why the gaming community always praising phil spencer like an angel falling from the sky complete with the choir nonsence. And now some people realise after the cancelation on Scalebound he's not so perfect guy after all

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
[Redacted as the member no longer wishes to be associated with this website, and the reputational damage and distress caused by association with this website. In addition, the user considers that the action of the management, and the nature of the site and members of its community, renders the original terms and conditions of this site void, and it unconscionable for either side to be bound to them. The user reasserts their IP rights in all content and does not give any authority for its continued usage on this website. Despite requesting that the user's account be deleted, in accordance with data protection rules which apply to this website over multiple jurisdictions, the admin team have failed to delete this account, requiring the user to take its own steps to ensure the valid deletion of data.]

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
There have been no gaming innovations since 16 bit computing:

GTA/AC = Midwinter clones
Halo/CoD = Operation Wulf clones
Dark Souls = Ghosts and Goblin clones
Driveclub/Forza = Outrun
Skyrim = Dungeon Master

And so on.

Prettier graphics, different perspectives, wider parameters, same old gameplay.

Good catch. There have also been no innovations in beverages since water. Everything is a liquid that goes down the throat.

LordRaptor

Nvidia shield is secretly the 4th silent competitor. (Currently 76th place on Amazon Top sellers, not bad considering it barely is pushed in your face marketing wise)

Nvidia Shield is hugely underwhelming because at the end of the day its mostly only playing android titles.
Stick an ARM compatible W10 install on there when that arrives, and we got a whole different kettle of fish

Minecraft?

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
I think Switch will be another huge fail for Nintendo, just like the Wii U.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
[Redacted as the member no longer wishes to be associated with this website, and the reputational damage and distress caused by association with this website. In addition, the user considers that the action of the management, and the nature of the site and members of its community, renders the original terms and conditions of this site void, and it unconscionable for either side to be bound to them. The user reasserts their IP rights in all content and does not give any authority for its continued usage on this website. Despite requesting that the user's account be deleted, in accordance with data protection rules which apply to this website over multiple jurisdictions, the admin team have failed to delete this account, requiring the user to take its own steps to ensure the valid deletion of data.]

Nvidia Shield is hugely underwhelming because at the end of the day its mostly only playing android titles.

You can play many AAA titles through their streaming service geoforce now and their android games contain games like borderlands 2, pre sequel , the talos principle, (The witness is coming) and the best version of FF 9. Not bad for a machine that's a set top box first, gaming system second.

krang

Driveclub/Forza = Outrun
Skyrim = Dungeon Master

And so on.

You paint this argument so broadly it's very difficult to argue with, despite being measurably incorrect.

RM8

You can play many AAA titles through their streaming service geoforce now and their android games contain games like borderlands 2, pre sequel , the talos principle, (The witness is coming) and the best version of FF 9. Not bad for a machine that's a set top box first, gaming system second.
I've been tempted to buy one for ages... There are plenty of good games on Android, and I'm thinking it might be a superb emulation little console.

galvatron

I think Switch will be another huge fail for Nintendo, just like the Wii U.

Yeah, there are so many ways for this to go sideways that it's a logical, uncontroversial conclusion. Everything that excites me about it are reasons its hard to market:

Obscure Japanese franchises (Bomberman, Puyo Puyo) that don't really move big numbers in the west
Experimental gameplay/control ideas
Have to experience new controllers in person to even have a chance to appreciate them and think they might be worth the money.

It's like Virtual Boy crossed with Dreamcast and I loved both of those systems...

As someone who enjoyed Black Ops 2 on WiiU, I'm disappointed Nintendo is going paid online. Free online was the biggest selling for me but now I'm skipping Switch completely.

Outside of the occasional online match of UFC 2 gaming has gotten stale for me. Best games this gen being Pikmin 3 and Witcher 3. More interested in playing through the best 3ds has to offer than anything currently announced on all 3 platforms.

Honestly I think people should buy as many third parties on switch as they can if they are good ports. I feel that would be the only way it'll get third party support(also gotta at least like the game too).

Voyr

Banned
I'm not liking how easily folks accepted Sonys pay for online play introduction, but Nintendo is being dragged through the dirt.

MLB the Show is consistently Sony's most underestimated franchise.
I'm not liking how easily folks accepted Sonys pay for online play introduction, but Nintendo is being dragged through the dirt.
Nintendo is being dragged through the dirt for A) seemingly not offering features to their online system comparable to the competition of GWG and IGC and for B) not explaining their online pay structure in a clear manner.
One had a history of functional online and gave many.details with the announcement. The other has had a shit history of online and has given no detail 45 days before console launch.
Also this too. We had experience with PS+ on the PS3, and then when it was announced that the PS4 would require it, we got a clear and competent list of what it would consist of:
OnKhrAH.png

One had a history of functional online and gave many.details with the announcement. The other has had a shit history of online and has given no detail 45 days before console launch.

I think classic Mega Man is consistently good, but almost never great. Aside from Mega Man 3, 6 and moments from 9, I feel the series is a constant 6.5 or 7 out of 10.

Mega Man X is fantastic though

Sanctuary

Driveclub/Forza = Outrun
Skyrim = Dungeon Master

And so on.

I actually agree with where you're coming from (because it's even worse now), if you aren't just being a contrarian for the sake of it, but come on man. The Souls games play nothing like the Ghosts 'n Goblins series at all, and it's more than just a perspective change and "wider parameters". About the only things in common that they loosely share would be atmosphere, creative bosses and the fact that you are a person running around in armor. If anything, they are a third-person version of the King's Field and Shadow Tower Abyss games; which were both a Japanese take on the WRPG. So saying that they were heavily influenced by other games is fine, but at least get the source material correct.

Anyway...

The Witcher 3 is not the best RPG "of all time", the combat is barely serviceable and it wears out its welcome before the halfway mark. Being open-world hampered the game instead of enhancing it too.
Bloodborne is not the best Souls game. It just has the most statisfying shieldless, melee only combat mechanics of the bunch. The overall aesthetic becomes too samey as well too soon.

3D zelda is shit.

There I said it.

BOTW looks slightly more interesting but overall I ain't buying it until it and the switch hit bargain bin prices.

Majora's Mask is incredibly overrated outside of the atmosphere, the game is terrible like Ocarina of Time.

They cannot compete with the likes of Zelda 1,ALTTP, ALBW, and any of the GBC Zelda games.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
yet with all of these things combined their service runs circles around anything nintendo has ever done

It says something about how bad PSN was/is that I'd trust it and buy into it more than Nintendo's offerings.

Well, not saying that Nintendo's online is worthy of praise, but that doesn't absolve the fact that Sony asking for money for what they give us for PSN is equally laughable.

Top Bottom