• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Heroes 2016 |OT3| Highway to the Danger Room

DrBo42

im starting to think alot of these changes are just a set up so in the next year or two the game can just go into auto mode and roll money in while they move on to something else, which when the community manager took over they already stated michaelmay was working on another game

its also funny because just last month asros dropped hints bout this costume closet thing and then backtracked after the outrage of the costumes on prestige being removed saying dont worry guys this isnt even set in stone and is monnnnnnnnnnths away. lol

I'd be very interested in finding out what that is. Seems like they could apply a lot of good lessons they've learned from MH to another ARPG. Hopefully DC Heroes. :D

Dec

I'd be very interested in finding out what that is. Seems like they could apply a lot of good lessons they've learned from MH to another ARPG. Hopefully DC Heroes. :D

Well I think it was actually a presentation their new chairmen did where it was mentioned that Michael May was on another secret project. This was also back in July 2016 and we know he has been working hard on the big update so it wasn't anything permanent.

I think it's likely he did some work on their Dexter mobile game that came out around Halloween. Perhaps even just general work for the mobile team.

Edit: Here's where it started. They were talking to the new head of the mobile team and afterwards said this: https://youtu.be/44onmtLKtdw?t=2693

"Where's the great Mike May?

Not that the future is in your hands, Mike. Were excited with what you've going on, our stealth project. We're not saying anything about that yet."

Regarding boosts and BIF conversion:

On Tuesday(1/17) at 12:00PM PST, boosts that include the RIF or SIF bonus currently will be taken out of the store and vaulted. This also includes RIF and SIF Boosts that are in Combo Boosts, Fortune Cards, and Mystery Boxes. That doesn't mean that we are removing the mechanics of RIF/SIF and it especially doesn't mean we are deleting any of the current consumables you own with RIF/SIF. Any consumables you still own with RIF/SIF bonuses will still work as intended even if you activate them at any point in the future.
Boost Vaulting

The boosts being retired:

Avengers Assemble Boost - 2 Hours
Beach Party RIF Boost - 20 Minutes
Beach Party SIF Boost - 20 Minutes
Bounty Hunter Boost - 1 hour
Cosmic Penta Rush Boost - 4 Hour
Eternity Splinter Boost Potion - 3 Hours
Galactic Guardian's Boost - 3 Hour
iBoost - 6 Hour
Iridium Quad Rush Energy Bar - 1 Hour
Iridium Triple Boost - 2 Hours
Iridium Triple Boost - 4 Hours
Iridium Triple Rush Energy Bar - 1 Hour
Odin's Bounty Boost Potion - 2 Hours
Omega Boost - 4 Hour
Patrol Boost Potion - 4 Hours
Rarity Drop Boost - 2 Hours
Rarity Rush Energy Bar - 1 Hour
Special Item Find Boost - 2 Hours
Special Item Find
Rush Energy Bar - 1 Hour
Spring Candy Boost - 70 minutes
Super Summer Boost - 4 Hour
Sweet Candy Rush Boost - 4 Hour
Team-Up Boost - 2 Hours
The Collector's Bounty
Winter Wonder Boost - 3 Hours

New Boost Suite

The goal is to keep the store simple and easy to navigate in preparation for the update, as well as not to muddy the boost mechanics as the BIF system is introduced. We want our boost system to be much clearer for players and for them to know exactly what boost to purchase for what mechanic they want to enhance. With this goal in mind, we are reducing our total boost suite down to the following 4 boosts.

Bonus Item Find Boost - 30 minutes - Gain Bonus Item Find Points for 30 minutes!.

Each Bonus Item Find Boost consumed increases the rate at which you gain Bonus Item Find Points:

1 Boost: Earn Points at 1x
2 Boosts: Earn Points at 1.5x
3 Boosts: Earn Points at 1.8x
4 Boosts: Earn Points at 1.9x
5 Boosts: Earn Points at 2x

Experience Boost - 30 minutes - Gain additional Experience for 30 minutes!.

Each Experience Boost increases the rate at which you gain Experience:

1 Boost: 100% Bonus Experience
2 Boosts: 150% Bonus Experience
3 Boosts: 180% Bonus Experience
4 Boosts: 190% Bonus Experience
5 Boosts: 200% Bonus Experience

Currency Boost - 30 Minutes - Gain additional Game Currency for 30 minutes!

Each Currency Boost increases the rate at which you gain Different Game Currency:

1 Boost: +120 credits per drop, 10% more Danger Room Merits per Victory chest, +1 Odin Marks per Legendary Quest or Boss Defeat
2 Boosts: +130 credits per drop, 20% more Danger Room Merits per Victory chest, +2 Odin Marks per Legendary Quest or Boss Defeat
3 Boosts: +136 credits per drop, 30% more Danger Room Merits per Victory chest, +3 Odin Marks per Legendary Quest or Boss Defeat
4 Boosts: +138 credits per drop, 40% more Danger Room Merits per Victory chest, +4 Odin Marks per Legendary Quest or Boss Defeat
5 Boosts: +140 credits per drop, 50% more Danger Room Merits per Victory chest, +5 Odin Marks per Legendary Quest or Boss Defeat

Combo Boost - 60 Minutes - Gain Bonus Item Find Points, Experience, and Game Currency for 60 minutes! Stacks additively with all other boosts.

Each Combo Boost increases the rate at which you gain Bonus Item Find, Experience and Different Game Currency:

1 Boost: Earn BIF Points at 1x, 100% Bonus Experience, +120 credits per drop, 10% more Danger Room Merits per Victory chest, +1 Odin Marks per Legendary Quest or Boss Defeat
2 Boosts: Earn BIF Points at 1.5x, 150% Bonus Experience, +130 credits per drop, 20% more Danger Room Merits per Victory chest, +2 Odin Marks per Legendary Quest or Boss Defeat
3 Boosts: Earn BIF Points at 1.8x, 180% Bonus Experience , +136 credits per drop, 30% more Danger Room Merits per Victory chest, +3 Odin Marks per Legendary Quest or Boss Defeat
4 Boosts: Earn BIF Points at 1.9x, 190% Bonus Experience, +138 credits per drop, 40% more Danger Room Merits per Victory chest, +4 Odin Marks per Legendary Quest or Boss Defeat
5 Boosts: Earn BIF Points at 2x, 200% Bonus Experience, +140 credits per drop, 50% more Danger Room Merits per Victory chest, +5 Odin Marks per Legendary Quest or Boss Defeat

You'll notice that these function in the same fashion that our current RUSH bars do. They stack in power, but not duration.
These boost values are very close to final, but may change based off of Test Center iteration. Additionally, the prices are still being finalized.
BIF Conversion

When we initially announced BIF, we mentioned that we did not have any plans to convert existing boosts to BIF. This decision was made because we do not take the decision to change existing items, especially items that players have paid for, lightly. We listened to your feedback, and feel that we have come up with a good compromise.

Once BIF launches, you will find 2 vendors in Avengers Tower. The first vendor will allow you to turn in certain boosts you may own for a new token. The amount of tokens granted per boost will vary depending on the boost itself. The tokens exchanged from this vendor can be used at a vendor right next to it to buy any of the new boosts we will be offering. This will allow players a chance to exchange boosts that they want for any of the new boosts, free of charge. These vendors will only be available for a limited time, so be sure to take advantage of it quickly!
Last Chance Sale

Don't fret though! Feel free to stock up on RIF/SIF boosts until Tuesday(1/17) at 12:00PM PST. We will be adding in special boosts in by Thursday(1/12) at 12:00PM PST.

inky

30 minute boosts. How utterly transparent.

Eh, I'm at the point which they can do whatever they want. Only the XP boosts or the special ones like Odin/ES ones were really useful anyway.

This must be the thread with most complaints about a game we don't play on GAF. Or is that every thread?

c6bf9b08586c241b021dd04c204b7a85.png

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
ya 30mins is pretty whack. I mean I have never bought a boost and almost certainly never will, but that's pretty dumb.

Ploid 3.0

I have little reason to play until the update. Even if they include the prestige = costume thing, I'd rather save the fast exp I'd get for after the exp cap is removed from me.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Update should hopefully be pretty soon. It was mentioned that the newest test build is mostly bug/balance stuff for heroes, as the design iteration is fairly locked in. Only a few outliers like Hawkeye.

Volimar

I have little reason to play until the update. Even if they include the prestige = costume thing, I'd rather save the fast exp I'd get for after the exp cap is removed from me.

The whole point of an ARPG kind of goes out the window when we know that these changes are in the pipeline. It's put the whole thing in kind of a holding pattern for me.

Note to myself: Gotta use a bunch of my cube shards on Fortune Cards before the boosts stop dropping.

LordGraySkull

Neo Member
I also haven't even cared to log in much lately, as really there's nothing to do. Even when this update happens, i question why i should even play, as all i would be doing is re-gearing to play content I've ran countless times. Perhaps It's time to retire. I'll give that update a chance, but I don't expect a wow factor from it. Probably an annoyance factor.

I suspect that the postmortem on this game will be that it was done when they missed the mark with the Danger Room. That was their chance for procedural content. They just can't keep longterm players like me going with endless slightly-new hero releases and system tweaking.

I played almost 1800 hours. Not complaining at all, overall. But I just can't get myself excited about any of the big changes coming.

I suspect that the postmortem on this game will be that it was done when they missed the mark with the Danger Room. That was their chance for procedural content. They just can't keep longterm players like me going with endless slightly-new hero releases and system tweaking.

I played almost 1800 hours. Not complaining at all, overall. But I just can't get myself excited about any of the big changes coming.

That's part of it, but it's part of a larger, systemic problem, which is that they're shit at coming up with content in general, and can't execute even on a good idea like Danger Room. Midtown Manhattan is the only really good content they ever made.

Another problem is that there's a systems overhaul every year, so they're constantly catching up and retrofitting old stuff rather than focusing on new stuff. Their priorities have been all over the place since forever.

Another problem is the game is a technical mess and Gaz can't deploy a patch without breaking a million things.

Another problem is that systems stacked on systems are very unappealing to new players (a problem all long-term service games have, especially f2p games).

This new update+console release feels like a hail mary. Even the Marvel license can't keep this leaky boat afloat forever.

Anoregon

Dam guys. Asheron's Call is done in a few weeks, my WoW sub expires tomorrow, Nintendo is still a fucking disaster, Trump gets sworn in next Friday, and now we're talking about the inevitable end of Marvel Heroes. Also I tried to get Queen to play FFXIV with me but she hates it.

there is no joy left in this life

inky

I did 8 blenders today and only got 3 new costumes. FML

Blended these plus the repeats:

3216bp84.png

New ones were the ones with an arrow. Goblin MK, Some Scarlet Witch and Fang Wolverine (yuck).

6545spt7.png

Drayco21

Dam guys. Asheron's Call is done in a few weeks, my WoW sub expires tomorrow, Nintendo is still a fucking disaster, Trump gets sworn in next Friday, and now we're talking about the inevitable end of Marvel Heroes. Also I tried to get Queen to play FFXIV with me but she hates it.

New ones were the ones with an arrow. Goblin MK, Some Scarlet Witch and Fang Wolverine (yuck).

We really are living in the darkest timeline.

Moondrop

Banned
Indeed, this is the dankest timeline.

Sometimes we forget the only reason we play this game: fanservice. If you don't feel like playing, pre- or post-update, it's most likely because your fan desires have been satisfied. It doesn't matter whether there are new modes or the movement changes are bad or your digital loot has been devalued. All that matters is the Marvel license, so I welcome a console release if it will allow the license to be renewed and more X-men to be playable in video games.

Anoregon

I'm one of the weirdos who isn't actually here primarily for the IP. I haven't read a comic in like 20 years, and actually haven't purchased/played any other Marvel games since like MvC2. I just found MH to be one of the more fun ARPG offerings around.

Xevren

Hey I play FF 14! But I'm on Hyperion =[

The problem im seeing is that they band aid problems n come back later.

Prime example this new powee update.

Heroe like venom has been basically unchanged n they have completey ignored feedback. And are saying same ol shit we will look into it after it launches which is bssically there answer for yea ok cya next year.

If they can easily change n fix things with this new system they would do it before launch.

Theres a huge thread bout this on tc and im actually finding this as something i can agree with on that forum for once

Just got back into this game recently. Still seems to be quite populated. Is there anywhere I can look to see what's coming up in the next couple of months of even this year?

inky

So this is just:

Hero Power Updates
Infinity System
Personal Difficulty Slider right?

Anything else coming too? The new costume system/prestige changes for example? The revamp to Chapter 5? Thanos Raid? Any other content updates?

I'm still slightly concerned that the changes to hero movement will kill this game for good for me. So maybe I can give it one last hurrah before the end.

So this is just:

Hero Power Updates
Infinity System

Anything else coming too? The new costume system/prestige changes for example? The revamp to Chapter 5? Thanos Raid? Any other content updates?

I'm still slightly concerned that the changes to hero movement will kill this game for good for me. So maybe I can give it one last hurrah before the end.

Bif system and chapter changes too i believe. Follow up patches will.be beast testing and other numerous shite.

Artifact rework is a given this week too

Thanoes raid lol cya in 2 years or not at all.

Dec

So this is just:

Hero Power Updates
Infinity System

Hard to say, I would guess

Artifact rework
Bonus Item Find
Story chapter 5+6 updated
Uruforge unbinding
Team up synergy
Mobility changes

Anoregon

Cool beans. I'm definitely looking forward to checking out a whole bunch of dudes that I haven't played much recently and/or ever.

inky

Did a few more blenders. 4 new costumes in total:

Ms Marvel Classic
Iron Fist Classic
Black Panther Doom War
Star Lord Marvel NOW

Better than last time I guess.

Moondrop

Banned
This is absurd but if the gameplay is actually changing fundamentally, then a game we've sunk a lot of time into is about to go away forever. I'm feeling... something? I maybe will login to zip around maps with movement heroes for the last time?

ev0

Hmmm, so is it a given we should blend all the default costumes? I havent been keeping too much track and all these numerous changes

This is absurd but if the gameplay is actually changing fundamentally, then a game we've sunk a lot of time into is about to go away forever. I'm feeling... something? I maybe will login to zip around maps with movement heroes for the last time?

That's how it goes with online games, it's a really weird thing from a preservation standpoint. Just think of original WoW. There's Nostalrius now, but for pretty much every other MMO, there's no way to play the older versions. You basically have to rely on video footage. It's a unique challenge of preserving games as an artform, they're always so in flux, and a lot of them are just going to be gone forever.

But hey the notion that there will be humans on earth to look back on games several hundred years from now presupposes more optimism than I can muster about our long-term survival at the moment, so there's that.

Top Bottom