• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many of you would it take to beat McGregor?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Yeah but that's a shitty gamble because chances are super high that it wouldn't even work in the first place, and at that point he'll just realize you're trying to fight dirty and fuck you up regardless. Then he'd be pissed off and ready for all subsequent bouts.

I mean the only way I'd be able to win is to somehow game the system or fight dirty in some ways as I'm not beating him in a straight up fight. Perhaps I'd just run away from him till he's about to catch me and just give up and start the next match with a fresh copy and do the same thing over and over till Conor has been there for 2 days straight with no sleep or food.

This shows a complete misunderstanding of how professional fighting works.

Conor won both the featherweight UFC title at 145lbs and more recently the Lightweight UFC title at 155lbs. This simply means that the day before the fight he managed to cut enough water weight to step on the scales at 155lbs. That is not the weight that he will actually fight at and it's certainly not anywhere near the weight that he walks around at in day to day life.

Conor is not 145lbs - it actually nearly kills him to make that weight for only a few mins (at the weigh in). He then rehydrates over 24 hours and walks into the actual fight the following day a good 15-20lbs heavier. This is a practice common across all combat sports and is known as weight cutting.

Cool, thanks for the breakdown.

I mean the only way I'd be able to win is to somehow game the system or fight dirty in some ways as I'm not beating him in a straight up fight. Perhaps I'd just run away from him till he's about to catch me and just give up and start the next match with a fresh copy and do the same thing over and over till Conor has been there for 2 days straight with no sleep or food.

Well yeah, the best strategy IMO is tire him out by making him move as much as possible (so just run around), then eventually get KO'd clean or choked out. Rinse and repeat until he's done from straight exhaustion.

Mook1e

maxresdefault.jpg

:)

Speely

Banned
This sounds like a fucking nightmare. Can you imagine facing him over and over? I would have PTSD for sure.

It would take me hundreds of tries. I might actually be trapped there until he collapses from exhaustion and lack of food/water. Given how short the fights would be, that would def be hundreds of fights.

i don't know anything about fighting, but it looks like the big dude could take him down pretty much any time he wanted if that was a legit fight.

mcgregor is no bruce lee.

Dude, the mountain was manhandling him like he was a child. There's a point where he grabbed his wrist and was just moving his arms around any way he wanted. He could have utterly destroyed him.

Like, Ewan McGregor? Is he supposed to be particularly fit or something? Or is this some obscure person who you wouldn't know unless you're into that specific thing? I love it when threads don't explain what they're talking about.

Yeah, him.

So are we talking Star Wars McGregor or Black Hawk Down McGregor? This is an important distinction

LordKasual

Banned
Connor McGregor
5' 9"
155lbs of lean muscle

LordKasual
6' 4"
250lbs of quesadillas

I wouldn't particularly be afraid of him on the street to be completely honest. Nearly 100lbs more massive and with alot more range.

Of course, his day job consists of beating the shit out of people...but that's people more or less the same size as him, I would at minimum be 2 weight classes above him. 2-3 of me would probably do alright. I'm positive that two of me at once could beat him no issue, he just has to get grabbed once.

I'd be alot more afraid of him grappling me into submission or trying to tire me out than him just striking me down TBH. With the reach difference, the chance of him hitting me without me being able to reprisal is pretty low.

https://youtu.be/Aaehn1aY8Ig

He's trained with someone that size

This is comical lol. Outside of the cleanest of hits to vital areas, I don't even think McGregor could damage Björnsson.

MastAndo

Gold Member
So does the new copy of myself vividly remember what it feels like to get kicked in the neck or have my arm almost snapped in half by a professional fighter? I would say that would put a damper on any strategy I could muster.

I think it would depend on how quickly the next me materialized, and where.

If I was ready to go within a second from my last KO'd heap, and showed up on any side of him, I could possibly damage him within 10 incarnations due to surprise attacks.

If he was able to get set for each round then he'd last quite a long time before gassing I'd imagine.

He would most likely annihilate every single person on GAF in a one on one situation. The man fights elite fighters who have trained for a lifetime and destroys them most of the time. How many will he get through? Depends on how fast he gets completely and utterly winded to where he can't even move anymore.

For those thinking size maters I'm assuming he could just kick your knee out in about two seconds.

LordKasual

Banned
For those thinking size maters I'm assuming he could just kick your knee out in about two seconds.

Movies love to undermine this, but size absolutely matters. It doesn't matter how dangerously skilled you are in unarmed combat, mass will always be a huge factor.

This reminds me of those funny "Bruce Lee vs. Mike Tyson" debates, as if Bruce Lee would stand any kind of chance against someone with so much raw power and defense. Possible? Sure, but he only has to fuck up once.

Maybe if the significantly heavier/stronger person you're fighting just has zero regard for his weakpoints, sure. Otherwise...what is your advantage?

Yeah sure, speed is one thing, but if theres no such thing as scoring or match time, you have to engage them to beat them.

Shredderi

The first one would be me just getting insta killed but the second me would point out to him the crazy scifi shenanigans happening and tell him that I'm here from the future to stop a huge calamity from happening but in order to do that we need to change history right now and he needs to surrender the fight. He'd propably go for it after seeing my clones.

hwalker84

Well I'm significant'y bigger than Conor. It'll be like Conor vs Bob Sapp. Plus I do take Jiu-jitsu. I'd probably get knocked out a few times but if I can secure the takedown.... I could wear him down.

It's a fight. Not boxing.

McGregor could likely beat every boxer in the world in his weight class in a street fight

I'll take it a step further. He would likely beat any boxer south of HW in a street fight. He walks around at 170. And, while he's not a great grappler by UFC standards, he'd be playing 8D chess against any boxer he got ahold of.

EDIT: Some of you guys are hilarious. "Well, I'd be a lot bigger than him....I'm in man shape....blah, blah." He would absolutely light you the fuck up. All of you. Any of you. You're not rolling with or sparring with anyone on his (or any current high-profile UFC fighter's) plane of existence at your local strip mall, ya' nincompoops.

Shredderi

I'll take it a step further. He would likely beat any boxer south of HW in a street fight. He walks around at 170. And, while he's not a great grappler by UFC standards, he'd be playing 8D chess against any boxer he got ahold of.

EDIT: Some of you guys are hilarious. "Well, I'd be a lot bigger than him....I'm in man shape....blah, blah." He would absolutely light you the fuck up. All of you. Any of you. You're not rolling with or sparring with anyone on his (or any current high-profile UFC fighter's) plane of existence at your local strip mall, ya' nincompoops.

You're not incorrect, but truth is that people lose to less skilled fighters than themselves all the time in the streets. This fight would of course be in the ring and supposedly with rules so yeah you're almost definitely right in this case. I guess my point is that while you're right, it's not a theoretical impossibility for him to be beaten by someone less skilled if that individual had experience and a lot of weight and a whole lot of luck.

He'd probably get a clean knockout on me every single time. One punch at a time would take thousands of me to wear him down from exhaustion

I've been lifting weights for way more than 10 years, but that ain't worth shit. I've studied some karate and some taekwondo but I'm not even qualified to be a white belt (I always stopped after a few months as I couldn't stand spending the session doing katas and whatnot).

Anyway... Clones of myself, one after the other? By attrition... 20-30, maybe (I bet he could knock me down with a single blow). But only if the next clone remembers what the previous ones did.

Movies love to undermine this, but size absolutely matters. It doesn't matter how dangerously skilled you are in unarmed combat, mass will always be a huge factor.

This reminds me of those funny "Bruce Lee vs. Mike Tyson" debates, as if Bruce Lee would stand any kind of chance against someone with so much raw power and defense. Possible? Sure, but he only has to fuck up once.

Maybe if the significantly heavier/stronger person you're fighting just has zero regard for his weakpoints, sure. Otherwise...what is your advantage?

Yeah sure, speed is one thing, but if theres no such thing as scoring or match time, you have to engage them to beat them.

Yeah but it's not a match between two trained professionals that are different sizes. It's one of the worlds best and a guy from a forum who more than likely is not one of the worlds best.

feel

I'm surprised at all the low number replies. It would take hundreds if not thousands of me before he started getting tired of knocking me out with a single punch within the first 6 seconds.

ArjanN

I mean, this is a scenario where literally everyone would eventually beat him through fatigue, the difference is only how many it would take.

My plan would probably be to just rush in and get a few leg kicks in. Even if he knocks me out right after, after like 20-30 versions of me his legs are basically mush.

ArjanN

I mean, this is a scenario where literally everyone would eventually beat him through fatigue, the difference is only how many it would take.

My plan would probably be to just rush in and get a few leg kicks in. Even if he knocks me out right after, after like 20-30 versions of me his legs are basically mush and he'd be out of stamina.

I'm surprised at all the low number replies. It would take hundreds if not thousands of me before he started getting tired of knocking me out with a single punch within the first 6 seconds.

Nah, he'd be gassed punching out 100 people who were just running around the ring without fighting back.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
*taking notes*

- Double posts = not a big deal
- Asking who someone is = a big deal

Jokes aside I knew who the OP was talking about and I have never seen the guy's face I don't think or watch his sport.

Anyway, I guess 40 or 50. i dunno how many people you need to knock out in one hit before you start to get comedically sloppy.

ZoronMaro

I've never watched this guys matches, or really much of any UFC at all, but based on my training I think as long as I keep him at mid-long range I should hold out okay, but the second he grabs me it's game over. Of course he's a professional fighter and I just do martial arts as a hobby, so I feel like avoiding and keeping him at range will be pretty difficult, but I think I could do it with single digit numbers.

The posts I was referencing weren't really taking the multiple attempts/fatigue into account. Half the replies in this thread are from people that didn't even read the first post.

LordKasual

Banned
Yeah but it's not a match between two trained professionals that are different sizes. It's one of the worlds best and a guy from a forum who more than likely is not one of the worlds best.

The point i'm making is that just because he's the world's best featherweight-welterweight fighting champion doesn't mean he's going to beat anyone he goes up against for free.

Hell, with the size of some people posting, the fight would be considered unfair to McGregor IN UFC.

Just to take the personal aspect out of it:

Look at Charles Barkley. He's 6'6", about 260lbs

Look at Shaq. He's 7'1", about 325lbs .

They're 7 inches apart in height, and less than 100lbs difference in weight. (Fun fact, The Rock is 6'5, and very likely weighs more than Charles Barkley with more muscle.)

Connor McGregor is 5'9". Imagine a 6'4", non-skinny NeoGAF poser.

That's a 7 inch, less than 100lb difference.
Connor McGregor would look like Charles Barkley in this picture. He looks like Shaq's son.

That is a non-insignificant disadvantage for McGregor.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Jesus christ these people need to be banned

"who's mcgregor?"
"who's ed sheeran?"
"who's justin bieber?"
"who's kim kardashian?"
"who's this extremely well-known and relevant person?"
"who's this person I could easily google?"

They really ask the question because they feel a sense of superiority being "unaware" of pop culture

There should be a sticky FAQs at the top explaining all of these as well as what pre-workout is.

Unbounded

Am I allowed to plan things out beforehand knowing I'll have an army of clones of myself at my disposal?

Edit: Also are me and my clones bloodlusted?

Like, Ewan McGregor? Is he supposed to be particularly fit or something? Or is this some obscure person who you wouldn't know unless you're into that specific thing? I love it when threads don't explain what they're talking about.

The edge off of this guy would do him in one.

hell prob submit around 10 mouthfulls of flesh. but it would take maybe 4 chances to get a successfull bite in. so <50 of me.

oh just fists? like 200.

Top Bottom