• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

51% of Canadians believe religion does more harm than good (up 7% from 2011)

http://globalnews.ca/news/3522802/r...ing-more-harm-than-good-in-canada-ipsos-poll/

Just over half of Canadian respondents say they believe religion does more harm than good in the world, according to a new survey.

The Ipsos poll, conducted for Global News, showed that 51 per cent of respondents agreed with the above statement.

What he did find surprising was that Quebec, once considered to be Canada’s most religious province, is now the most secular.

Compared to the rest of Canada, Quebecers are significantly more likely than residents of other provinces to feel religion does more harm than good (62 per cent). They’re also more inclined (18 per cent) to lose respect for people when they find out they are religious.

Conversely, fewer people believe that people who are religious have the higher moral ground — in fact, most disagree with that, Simpson said.

Only 24 per cent of respondents said they believed religious people are better citizens, down eight points from 2011.

Continuing the trend, there’s also a declining view that religion should play a role in politics. Twenty years ago, 45 per cent of respondents to a similar poll said that religion should play an important part in political life.

In this year’s poll, that number was down 11 points; only 34 per cent say religion and politics should intersect.

This is a good thing, imho, especially when it comes to politics. Just look at how religion is twisted and perverted by US politicians (and the people who believe it).

jayu26

Conversely, fewer people believe that people who are religious have the higher moral ground — in fact, most disagree with that, Simpson said.

Only 24 per cent of respondents said they believed religious people are better citizens, down eight points from 2011.

Continuing the trend, there’s also a declining view that religion should play a role in politics. Twenty years ago, 45 per cent of respondents to a similar poll said that religion should play an important part in political life.

In this year’s poll, that number was down 11 points; only 34 per cent say religion and politics should intersect.

I don't have problems with religious folks or even overtly religious folks, but these two are encouraging signs.

Aiii

So not worth it
Between the abuse of the catholic church, the bigotry born from religious beliefs, anti-vaxxers and of course religious terrorism. I cannot say I disagree with the Canadians on this one.

Mimosa97

Isn't basically the whole world getting less and less religious except for muslim countries (where I bet there are more and more people who reject religion but can't say it publicly) ?

JordanN

Banned
Canadians stay woke.

Although as an atheist, I'm not really for or against religion. My only wish is religion can never interfere with scientific progress.

Flux

Canadians stay woke.

Although as an atheist, I'm not really for or against religion. My only wish is religion can never interfere with scientific progress.
Same here. Wouldn't have any issues if they butt out of government, healthcare, education, scientific research, women's rights, but hey its a small ask.

NJSlay

Banned
They're not wrong. Letting the thoughts and ideas of less educated and advanced people from thousands of years ago dictate your way of life in 2017 is fucking silly to me. Especially when there is overwhelming evidence that debunks them all in the first place.

And the fact that all of these religious texts are full of heinous garbage makes it even more infuriating that people pull that old bullshit "I take what works for me" line to justify their cherry picking and ignoring or excusing the other parts.

religion in general does more harm than good.

there are minor exceptions where some people are truley spiritual and aborb religion to in-better themselves

but the majority of people only practice religion because it was passed down to them by their parents, by their grand-parents as a "social obligation" and get all conservative about it for no spiritual reasons

as a Canadian, religion truely does more harm than good

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Between the abuse of the catholic church, the bigotry born from religious beliefs, anti-vaxxers and of course religious terrorism. I cannot say I disagree with the Canadians on this one.

And

-Refusal of life saving medical procedures due to religious belief

-Making sex taboo.

-Most religious texts preaching an us vs them mentality.

-Teaching morality as a vehicle for avoiding consequences rather than as an inherent good.

I think the really good aspects of religion are fostering communities, encouraging humanitarian efforts, and providing comfort around death. But the negatives do seem to out weigh the positives. At least for most major religions.

I don't think religion needs to go away. But it should be a much more chill thing and nobodies number 1 priority in life.

Prologue

If it wasn't religion, it would be something else.

Look how bad we are when it comes to "console wars". People even need to be banned sometimes with how aggressive they are with their opinions.

LOL at progressives defending religious rights when the Ontario government tried to expand Sexual Eduaction, all religious groups sided with the Conservatives to stop Sex-Ed expansion.

There's a very fundamental problem with American psychology on this point: Americans tend to equate religious beliefs with a strong moral and ethical standing. This runs counter to fact of course. But facts have nothing to do with religion.

dakun

Look how bad we are when it comes to "console wars". People even need to be banned sometimes with how aggressive they are with their opinions.

on that scale though? no

Other than extreme nationalism there are not many more "man made divisions" that could harm in a scale as big as religions do.

rucury

Banned
ac11.jpg

NJSlay

Banned

But we're talking about the source of creation here. This is a deeply personal thing to so many people because of what religion implies. Console fanboys don't blow themselves up because somebody is an Xbox or Nintendo fan.

This is good. Religion should stop being treated as a lifestyle. Is in itself a flaw in rational & logical thinking. Like earth-flatism

Do Christians not own hospitals, nursing homes, hospices, and soup kitchens where you guys are?
Yes, even if the least religious parts of Canada, these exist. It's possible to believe that religion does more harm than good on a large scale while acknowledging there are religious organizations that help people.

FiggyCal

Banned
Do non-christians not own hospitals, nursing, hospices and soup kitchens where you are?

All the soup kitchens around me that I know of are "St. Something or other's Soup Kitchen". Same with hospices and at least one hospital near me. Even something like the Salvation Army is a Protestant organization.

Edit: Non-Christians are also represented, but clearly not to the same degree.

EGM1966

Don't include me in that "we" thank you.

A percentage of the population does represent challenges whether religious or not but let's not ignore the percentage that has no issue behaving well both as an individual and as a member of a larger group.

MUnited83

For you.

Eh, this is completely false. Look at the countries with the biggest percentage of atheists. Those countries didn't start having a magical force that replicated the negative effects of religion. That's not how it works.

That "something else" is called science. And it hasn't been that bad for the most part.

Let's not forget that religion arised first and foremost as an explanation to the world, to the universe. It is not a coincidence that in Europe, the first great leaps in scientific explanation came from Church members.

Phu

Banned

I can't believe you're comparing the atrocities of religion to shitposting about video games.

Mimosa97

Up from 7% in 2011?

I think this has a lot to do with DJT's rise to power.

As a Canadian I can tell you that it has more to do with old people dying out and the rise of radical islam in the West.

Also this is the first time that I've written " as a canadian " since I've been naturalized a few months ago. Feelsweirdman. But also feelsgoodman.

chekhonte

I tried to apply for Canadian citizenship based on the idea that the nation my tribe was a part of extended into what is now Ontario. It didn't work.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
GJ Canada and especially my home province.
LOL at progressives defending religious rights when the Ontario government tried to expand Sexual Eduaction, all religious groups sided with the Conservatives to stop Sex-Ed expansion.
Progressives who keep coddling religions full of anti-progressive beliefs will forever baffle me.

Also this is the first time that I've written " as a canadian " since I've been naturalized a few months ago. Feelsweirdman. But also feelsgoodman.
Congrats and welcome!

rjinaz

Do Christians not own hospitals, nursing homes, hospices, and soup kitchens where you guys are?

Well consider, it's not "are there no Christians that do some good". It's "religion does more harm than good". Religion currently guides the worst political policies (in America anyway). On a national level that effects the lives of 350 million or so, it does more harm than any soup kitchen can do good.

But that's America. Though I imagine America is a good example to our neighbors of the dangers of theocracy lite.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I will give credit to Harper for declining to interject his personal religious views into his politics. He had been asked multiple times as PM and on the campaign trail to comment on his Christianity and would routinely decline and downplay any role is played in his political life.

I think it's part of why anti-Muslim sentiment hasn't gripped Canada the way it has in other nations. Over the last decade, Harper failed to give the religious-right a political icon to attach themselves to.

As an atheist, you're in a religion.

Come on, it's a-theistic, literally a lack of theism. I'm apolitical when it comes to the politics of Ghana. I don't participate in the Ghana political scene, I don't study Ghana's political scene, I don't know or care what's going on in Ghana, etc.

Atheists don't meet on Sundays and have picnics and ceremonies and read books and have mores etc.

Yeah, there are some atheists who have strong opinions and are politically active on some issues, but if someone goes on their daily just not thinking about it or having it affect their lives don't get up on them and say, "what's your problem with the president of Ghana?"

Top Bottom