• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

What's the definitive port of Raiden? Raiden Project on the PS1?

just remember if you get a hardcopy of the NA version, you need a gameshark to enable TATE controls. i think i posted the codes way. i think it was disabled bc they didn't want liability of people smashing their TV's turning it sideways in the USA. sixteen-bit mentioned that which i think is funny but so true =P

meppi

Raiden Project has slowdowns in both Raiden and Raiden 2 that aren't in the arcade version nor in the DX version.

This is why it's the best way to play the pre fighters games imho

Can't find anything that corroborates this though. Only the opposite in fact.
From Hardcorgaming101:
Short of finding an actual arcade cabinet, the best bet for playing the game at home is on The Raiden Project, the PlayStation compilation of the first and second Raiden games. The port is just about flawless save for a few loading times in between levels, but they're relatively incremental. As with the first Raiden, it offers remixed music, four difficulty levels, and the "tate" option to play the game sideways (only in the Japanese version without hacking it)

And still, Raiden DX is very different from the games on Raiden Project, so it doesn't make sense to just pick that one release and ignore Raiden Project.

just remember if you get a hardcopy of the NA version, you need a gameshark to enable TATE controls. i think i posted the codes way. i think it was disabled bc they didn't want liability of people smashing their TV's turning it sideways in the USA. sixteen-bit mentioned that which i think is funny but so true =P

Hehe. Funny how there's very little trust in certain western markets when it came to Japanese developers. Reminds me of how Sega didn't want to release lightguns in the US for the Dreamcast. You guys did get the Saturn one, right?

Not sure if the PAL version of Raiden has TATE, but going purely by memory I think it did.

i went to Barcade on Tuesday and played some Dragon Spirit.

the Joystick was broken and could not do diagonals on the left side but it was fun;
pic of attract mode:
xARB6gg.jpg
cJ7mltO.jpg

i picked up two small titles today while grabbing dinner:
7vwtB7Ql.jpg

I was working at a game retailer when Dawn of Mana released and a young woman came to pick up her preorder with bonus (which was some kinda soundtrack CD), but I couldn't find it. She seemed really sad about it and just picked up the game by itself and left. At the end of the shift I found the shipment with the soundtrack CD peroder bonus and legit still feel bad about it to this day, 10 years later.

I was working at a game retailer when Dawn of Mana released and a young woman came to pick up her preorder with bonus (which was some kinda soundtrack CD), but I couldn't find it. She seemed really sad about it and just picked up the game by itself and left. At the end of the shift I found the shipment with the soundtrack CD peroder bonus and legit still feel bad about it to this day, 10 years later.

You monster

BTails

Yeah, but did you steal someone else's Gameboy Colour?

Timu

The Punisher on Genesis isn't as good as the arcade, like, not even close in graphics, sound and such, but I would be surprised if it's considered to be one of the worst ports out there.

IrishNinja

that's what i don't get, though
like, every arcade port in that era made compromises...Punisher looked fine & sounded alright, kept 2 player, decent # of enemies on screen, weapons & all. spites were even decent sized (compared to actually shitty arcade ports like say, Cap & The Avengers).

it's a solid, enjoyable part that keeps the bulk of what makes the arcade game fun intact. it just feels like people who knock it didn't play a lotta arcade games & ports in the day at all - Galaxy Force II? Alien vs Predator (SNES)? pretty much every Double Dragon port? those sucked.

take a look, and tell me what that team could've done better with the genesis in '93. cause what we got was far more faithful than a lotta ports ended up bringing, i assure you

NDPsycho

like, every arcade port in that era made compromises...Punisher looked fine & sounded alright, kept 2 player, decent # of enemies on screen, weapons & all. spites were even decent sized (compared to actually shitty arcade ports like say, Cap & The Avengers).

it's a solid, enjoyable part that keeps the bulk of what makes the arcade game fun intact. it just feels like people who knock it didn't play a lotta arcade games & ports in the day at all - Galaxy Force II? Alien vs Predator (SNES)? pretty much every Double Dragon port? those sucked.

take a look, and tell me what that team could've done better with the genesis in '93. cause what we got was far more faithful than a lotta ports ended up bringing, i assure you

Completely agree with all of this. I was just ecstatic to get a home conversion at the time. I loved it for what it was and still do. I've played much worse ports, the game was and still is fun to play.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

I get that it's good by Genesis port standards. But frankly, I'm not interested in Babby's First Programming Project. The original game is a masterpiece, and the Genesis port loses the character and the feel of the arcade game. It's far from the worst port ever made, but it's not a valid way to play the game now.

IrishNinja

The original game is a masterpiece, and the Genesis port loses the character and the feel of the arcade game.

okay but
how

like ive heard people knock SF II Special Champion whatever for not having arcade sized sprites & sound, or seen Saturn's NBA Jam taken down for lacking the crowd taking flash photos, or anytime 16-bit says SHMUPs on the saturn are asscakes because the # of lines isn't divisible by 9 or something, so

also i still don't have a viable means of playing arcade games to my liking in my current setup, which i should really work on since ive a PC setup with my TV & a good PS3 arcade stick i could use

hey guys, just got in and grabbed two titles:

Peltz you should be proud: (not exactly MVS though):
EPvADpWl.jpg

tNS0RYZl.jpg

4fZNP7Vl.jpg

i don't have a neogeo pocket yet (i used to have one as kid) but wanted to grab it eventually.

Back in the day I liked the ports of arcade titles (like Captain America and the Avengers) but after playing the originals via emulation... well its hard to go back!

I ended up grabbing PCB's for Cap, Punisher and several other games that didn't get ports (well, at least at the time of purchasing) like X-Men, Spider Man (the ace side scroller, I love this one!), Violent Storm (so darn under rated) and Marvel Super Heroes (ok, that got a port but even the Saturn version wasn't exactly great in my opinion).
I really like Marvel, so I've somehow ended up with a decent sub collection of titles, console game wise for Spider Man I'm pretty much just missing Web of Fire for a complete list of Spidey games, but the prices it goes for these days... Knew I should have picked it up a decade ago...

IrishNinja

so i don't see me diving down that rabbit hole, but...if you don't mind my asking, what did those boards run you at the time? you just named a whole lotta greats there! id love to play that Spidey one, never saw it in the day.

also: damn, your bar's kinda high if the saturn port of marvel super heroes was bad, eh?

so i don't see me diving down that rabbit hole, but...if you don't mind my asking, what did those boards run you at the time? you just named a whole lotta greats there! id love to play that Spidey one, never saw it in the day.

also: damn, your bar's kinda high if the saturn port of marvel super heroes was bad, eh?

I was super disappointed with the Saturn port, which felt too much like the Playstation port. Slow load times, missing animations (even with the extra RAM mode enabled) and slowdown when Blackheart is on screen. Technically my bar is high for Saturn ports, as I thought Alpha 1&2's port was great, as was the early Darkstalkers games and X-Men COTA. MSH just felt like a rushed Playstation port by comparison :( I do love the Vs games on the Saturn though, so darn nice by comparison. Its impossible for me not to play a few rounds of X-men and MSH vs SF when I have my Saturn set up.

Price wise I think I was really lucky on the boards. MSH was an absolute steal, cost me something like £50 back in the day for both the A and B boards. I think the rest were closer to £70ish each? I forget, but I definitely don't remember them costing me the earth, Spidey was another steal that I got through the Neo-geo.com forums. Then again, the jumpers on that game were all misconfigured so I spent a day fiddling with the game to get it looking and sounding just right.
Almost forgot, I also managed to get AvP as well (and got the board phoenixed so it can't suicide on me). Such an amazing game, really gotta see how my Armoured Warriors arcade board is holding up, that's the last one that needs phoenixing unless I manage to find an affordable copy of Battle Circuit anytime soon.

Galdelico

okay but
how

like ive heard people knock SF II Special Champion whatever for not having arcade sized sprites & sound, or seen Saturn's NBA Jam taken down for lacking the crowd taking flash photos, or anytime 16-bit says SHMUPs on the saturn are asscakes because the # of lines isn't divisible by 9 or something, so

You'll always find some nit-picky saddo refusing to appreciate the objective beauty of something, just because there's very minor stuff to pointlessly complain about.

That said, I personally agree with Chancs, when it comes to The Punisher. It clearly isn't horrid, but the side by side video you linked kinda corroborates his point. It's just... Dull, in my opinion. It's duller as a port, more than as a beat'em up per se, but even if you look at it for what it is... It doesn't really look that much different from those below-average, rightfully bashed super-heroes brawlers mentioned a few posts back. It's noticeably slower than the arcade, has less enemy variety, very dim and unappealing graphics, not just compared to the original game, which is expected, but also to the good/best examples on the MD.
It's clearly an obscure grail that tickles my collector self, but other than that I don't think it has a place to reclaim in any comprehensive MD/Genesis collection.

IrishNinja

Almost forgot, I also managed to get AvP as well (and got the board phoenixed so it can't suicide on me). Such an amazing game, really gotta see how my Armoured Warriors arcade board is holding up, that's the last one that needs phoenixing unless I manage to find an affordable copy of Battle Circuit anytime soon.

god, so jelly! AvP remains one of the finest beat-em-ups out there

That said, I personally agree with Chancs, when it comes to The Punisher. It clearly isn't horrid, but the side by side video you linked kinda corroborates his point. It's just... Dull, in my opinion. It's duller as a port, more than as a beat'em up per se, but even if you look at it for what it is... It doesn't really look that much different from those below-average, rightfully bashed super-heroes brawlers mentioned a few posts back. It's noticeably slower than the arcade, has less enemy variety, very dim and unappealing graphics, not just compared to the original game, which is expected, but also to the good/best examples on the MD.
It's clearly an obscure grail that tickles my collector self, but other than that I don't think it has a place to reclaim in any comprehensive MD/Genesis collection.

thank you for that - i guess for me, the tao of the game feels there, so i'm happy with it, but i get those complaints. as a kid who grew up playing Master System ports of things that very much lost their arcade feel (like After Burner) i think i'm more willing than some to take compromises if they keep what i think was the heart of the experience intact.

moreover, as a comic fanboy, the bar for 16-bit comic stuff is extraordinarily low, to were dull/repetitive beat-em-ups like Maximum Carnage (or a better example is SNES Batman Returns) actually stand out from a pile of lesser things. i imagine if Saturn had seen a nearly-perfect arcade port, i'dve been all over that instead....but now this thread also has me bummed out that we never got that saturn port of AvP.

Glowsquid

I unironically think Maximum Carnage is great. Sure it's A Bit too long, graphically weak with some lame and goofy thug sprites... and sure, a lot the bosses are ridiculously unfair and require cheesy tactics to stand a chance... but the game actually had a really good fighting engine, and did a great job of adapting Spider-Man's powers into the beat em up gameplay, especially in comparison to Sega's dissapointing arcade game. The soundtrack was great, even if a good chunk of it was (probably) plagiarised. And the risk-reward mechanic, where you can get critical hits for "accurately" punching enemies instead of punching empty air was very clever, and it's rather surprising no other beat'em up ever attempted to include something similar.

Galdelico

thank you for that - i guess for me, the tao of the game feels there, so i'm happy with it, but i get those complaints. as a kid who grew up playing Master System ports of things that very much lost their arcade feel (like After Burner) i think i'm more willing than some to take compromises if they keep what i think was the heart of the experience intact.
That's so true, I'm 100% with you on that. I LOVED Black Tiger on the Amiga - which is decent at best, and many would even argue about it - just because it somehow managed to give me a hint of its arcade brother (I was obsessed with it, around that time).

I unironically think Maximum Carnage is great. Sure it's A Bit too long, graphically weak with some lame and goofy thug sprites... and sure, a lot the bosses are ridiculously unfair and require cheesy tactics to stand a chance... but the game actually had a really good fighting engine, and did a great job of adapting Spider-Man's powers into the beat em up gameplay, especially in comparison to Sega's dissapointing arcade game. The soundtrack was great, even if a good chunk of it was (probably) plagiarised. And the risk-reward mechanic, where you can get critical hits for "accurately" punching enemies instead of punching empty air was very clever, and it's rather surprising no other beat'em up ever attempted to include something similar.

I really liked it as well. Loved the soundtrack and it was pretty satisfying once you get the game down. Took me years to finally finish the game. I then played through Separation Anxiety and pretty much completed it without dying. It was hilariously easy by comparison, especially the final boss.

I didn't realize that people thought it was bad. I just remember renting it over and over from Blockbuster and never beating it.

Laws00

I just got my arcade card in the mail.

my god. played Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire.

What they did with that game and hardware is AMAZING.

The system came out 1987. The game came out 1995

I'm looking at this game and wondering how the fuck did they do this.

And it got me wondering if the copy thats up on for 100 something bucks on ebay real or fkae but all signs point to FAKE

http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/sapcomp1.html

IrishNinja

i tend to agree - as a kid who loved the dumb event/carnage, it was great, and all those cameos were awesome! most knocks on it were the same for most in that genre: it goes on long & felt repetitive over time, but i still had a blast.

Separation Anxiety was a goddamn letdown, though.

dubc35

My first retro-ish pickups since Black Friday, $35 total.
I never played The Bouncer back in the day but looking forward to it!
I played Patapon back on release; rttp!
I have never played RDR...I know, right? I need to swap out my ps3 hdd before I can play it.
Rage Racer = nostalgic feels. I played a bit a couple nights ago, good times.

And it got me wondering if the copy thats up on for 100 something bucks on ebay real or fkae but all signs point to FAKE

The arcade card ram boost and cd storage space is a huge increase in capability at that time.

With a boost in ram and storage capacity all the 16 bit systems could have done amazing things. The SNES is more limited in it's CPU, of course.

I think it's often forgotten how limited games were because of storage space back then and how expensive rom chips were. Adding more rom space was basically giving up profits to the rom chips companies or making your game stand out by costing $10-20 more than everything else.

IrishNinja

Yeah, but wasn't it sweet when you rented a game, and someone had written all the passwords in the "Notes" section at the back of the manual?

this was amazing but so very rare, unlike say renting an RPG and having BOOBS as the account name on all 3 files

Laws00

Definitely fake. There's probably more bootlegs of that out there than originals at this point. The original typically goes for anywhere from 700 - 1700 bucks.

The arcade card ram boost and cd storage space is a huge increase in capability at that time.

With a boost in ram and storage capacity all the 16 bit systems could have done amazing things. The SNES is more limited in it's CPU, of course.

I think it's often forgotten how limited games were because of storage space back then and how expensive rom chips were. Adding more rom space was basically giving up profits to the rom chips companies or making your game stand out by costing $10-20 more than everything else.

I always see this one when I pop on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEALED-Ging...191552?hash=item2a824513c0:g:p24AAOSwa~BYeRWW
I have a new PC Engine CD and Turbo Duo Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire. This is not hand made. It's 100% custom-designed in 2016 in Germany using professional factory-quality services. CD and packing artwork is factory-printed in high resolution using quality materials. Please check pictures and past feedback history for quality reference. The quality of these custom-made games is nowadays unmatched. Compatible with Turbo DUO or PC Engine SUPER CD system with System Card 3 or better.

Package ships internationally properly cushioned, registered, and fully insured. This is due to past lost packages. No exceptions.

Payment is expected within 24 hours or I will relist item.

Includes:

Disc: professionally factory pressed, not CD-Rs. Game is region free.

Manual: full-color manual professionally custom-designed and printed in glossy high quality paper

Spine card: full color printed in heavy stock paper

D.Lo

Which is extremely bizarre when the repro is available for sale on the guy who makes them's website for $60, including worldwide tracked postage.

Like overpaying for an original, sure. But paying triple for a repro which is still being produced?

With the arcade card, the PCE has more RAM than the Playstation.

Vespa

My first retro-ish pickups since Black Friday, $35 total.

I never played The Bouncer back in the day but looking forward to it!
I played Patapon back on release; rttp!
I have never played RDR...I know, right? I need to swap out my ps3 hdd before I can play it.
Rage Racer = nostalgic feels. I played a bit a couple nights ago, good times.

Rage Racer is such an amazing game, love the soundtrack and the track design and setting.

Had a productive week with a few things ticked off my things to improve, got around to adding Sanwa parts to my Dreamcast stick:
34815940111_b2a619d22a_c.jpg

Swapped out the buttons on my MK1 Saturn with my broken Japanese MK1, it looks so cool with the blue accent:
34815939661_4215c54d49_c.jpg

And my first attempt at de-yellowing, I went with a broken DC case before trying it on something more valuable:
34815939181_73e0e7d09d_c.jpg

I lucked out and didn't get any bloom/marbling. Shame the Sun has disappeared as I need to do the bottom half now.

I love the DC arcade sticks. It was the first proper arcade stick I ever got and its still probably my favourite (so many awesome fighters on the Dreamcast...)

Vespa

Yea me too, it was the first time you could get a good stick that was easy to find at almost any store that did games. I made the switch from pad to this stick for fighters starting with the DC stick so have a lot of love for it. So many hours put into Marvel vs Capcom 2, SF3 and Soul Calibur. Marvel 2 single-handedly destroyed mine and all my friend's sticks though!

david just reminded me how much cooler japanese manuals are than ours, damn
the artwork is so cool
Yeah, but wasn't it sweet when you rented a game, and someone had written all the passwords in the "Notes" section at the back of the manual?
yeah, unless i'm collecting and it's written all over the manual. i prefer the separate loose leaf paper with codes stuck in there =)
So you ended up getting it! Looks cool!
And in pretty shiny conditions too. Nice grab! ;)
yeah thanks guys!

i actually heard this was the second best compared Macross 2036 for pc engine CD

has any pc engine owner played that? i'll probably ask in the pc engine thread =)

Laws00

Does anybody have and or follow any collectors or players instagram?

i'm not going to do a shameless plug on myself because i won't lol

Here are some people that have inspired and influenced me to collect/play.

Not sure if any of your guys are on here I just follow people that interest me

men_gunners
https://www.instagram.com/men_gunners/

retrokk_jp
https://www.instagram.com/retrokk_jp/

transistor_fist
https://www.instagram.com/transistor_fist/

cpn_pixel
https://www.instagram.com/cpn_pixel/

trevofour
https://www.instagram.com/trevofour/

sixteenbit (didn't realize this person was in here not to mention I just started following and haven't looked through their page thoroughly lol)
https://www.instagram.com/sixteenbit/

Top Bottom