• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Community Thread | The Fire Rises, Brother!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Again too much effort into something that only a sub sub sub sub sub set of your brand will be at, and in the grand scheme of things does nothing in terms of the business to actually grow the brand to a wider audience.

It's like the exact opposite of what they should be doing now especially seeing their sub #s and patreon numbers.

jon_dojah

Banned
^Colin's Patreon down $500 from the previous couple weeks. KF+KFG Patreons down $300 over the past few days.

You would think with the type of content (edutainment) Colin's would drop faster down towards the $10k he was originally asking but its been holding pretty steady all things considered. But its KF thats losing ground more and more each week even as they are approaching their big event.

They could see a boost after KFL possibly but if it takes (Tim) half a year again to get the footage edited for Youtube like KFL2 there may not be any incentive until then.

ST2K

So I've been letting old GOGs play in the background while I dither about my daily life, and I got to a particular segment that took place about a year ago about fixing Colin & Greg Live.

During the segment, Colin says he recognizes the problems with the show, that it's just stupid silliness and it might turn people off, that they've lost viewers but also seen more revenue due to tips/subs spiking, and that he wasn't sure what to do about it. With reservations, he makes the case for pushing more towards an organized news show approach, that's less about faffing about and more about pushing the content.

It seems to be directly addressing a lot of the stuff we're talking about with the show, right? So what happened?

Well, in the segment, Tim makes the case that that is not what the show should be, it should be renamed the Kinda Funny Morning Show, it should be mostly about just chilling with the guys, and news stuff should be relegated to PSILY or a new podcast entirely. Kevin agrees with Tim.

It's clear which vision won out, right? And which vision a lot of us seem to have problems with?

I'm not bringing this up to hate on Tim or champion Colin (Lord knows they both get too much of that on the internet), but it's another case where it seems clear to me of the vision of current KF being dominated by a certain perspective that seems antithetical to the more meaningful content that brought a lot of fans to KF in the first place. And I'm getting more and more worried that the current leadership doesn't really care about it.

I don't know. KFL3 and the survey results show are going to be really interesting.

So I've been letting old GOGs play in the background while I dither about my daily life, and I got to a particular segment that took place about a year ago about fixing Colin & Greg Live.

During the segment, Colin says he recognizes the problems with the show, that it's just stupid silliness and it might turn people off, that they've lost viewers but also seen more revenue due to tips/subs spiking, and that he wasn't sure what to do about it. With reservations, he makes the case for pushing more towards an organized news show approach, that's less about faffing about and more about pushing the content.

It seems to be directly addressing a lot of the stuff we're talking about with the show, right? So what happened?

Well, in the segment, Tim makes the case that that is not what the show should be, it should be renamed the Kinda Funny Morning Show, it should be mostly about just chilling with the guys, and news stuff should be relegated to PSILY or a new podcast entirely. Kevin agrees with Tim.

It's clear which vision won out, right? And which vision a lot of us seem to have problems with?

I'm not bringing this up to hate on Tim or champion Colin (Lord knows they both get too much of that on the internet), but it's another case where it seems clear to me of the vision of current KF being dominated by a certain perspective that seems antithetical to the more meaningful content that brought a lot of fans to KF in the first place. And I'm getting more and more worried that the current leadership doesn't really care about it.

I don't know. KFL3 and the survey results show are going to be really interesting.

Here's the thing though: doing a highly organized News show every single morning would kill them on preproduction time and it would make conversations of PSILY and the Gamescast sound redundant.

It would also probably get pretty tired for both them to produce and the audience to watch.

I think the current show has issues, but I don't think organized and News focused is a sustainable answer for what is still a pretty small organization that is primarily focusing on reacting to very set news topics week to week

ST2K

Here's the thing though: doing a highly organized News show every single morning would kill them on preproduction time and it would make conversations of PSILY and the Gamescast sound redundant.

It would also probably get pretty tired for both them to produce and the audience to watch.

I think the current show has issues, but I don't think organized and News focused is a sustainable answer for what is still a pretty small organization that is primarily focusing on reacting to very set news topics week to week

Not that I'm necessarily saying it's the way forward, but it wouldn't take any more preproduction time on their part. They find the same stories and just actually talk about them and the cut the show off when they're done talking about them and have taken some questions.

Overlapping content is definitely a problem with all of their stuff though. Ideally Gamescast would be more analysis/critique and news would just be quicker reactions. Maybe a daily morning show just doesn't really make sense for them? I'm not sure.

ghornett

Neo Member

Fascinating. I think you're dead on. Watching that old clip bummed me out, but oh well.

Certainly interesting to look back on, it was my favourite thing to watch around that time before they did change to the KFMS and had more of a rotating cast (altho they were obv already doing that before that), Tim's idea here of it just being sitting around with them hanging out for an hour or more just seems sad and similar to the whole 'best friends' thing I've always really disliked "hey guys, we're all just friends, just hanging around and having a laugh as friends do, subscribe button is over there and you cna tip do, like friends do". I guess it works tho for the people who do struggle with interaction/loneliness or w/e and find them as a way to fill that void.

I also don't think it needed any major structure like Colin suggested, it was kinda just fine as it was, to me anyway.

^Colin's Patreon down $500 from the previous couple weeks. KF+KFG Patreons down $300 over the past few days.

You would think with the type of content (edutainment) Colin's would drop faster down towards the $10k he was originally asking but its been holding pretty steady all things considered. But its KF thats losing ground more and more each week even as they are approaching their big event.

They could see a boost after KFL possibly but if it takes (Tim) half a year again to get the footage edited for Youtube like KFL2 there may not be any incentive until then.

Getting close to the end of the month some people will increase their pledges to get rewards and drop/remove them towards the end of the month when the money is taken, so don't read much into drops towards the end of the month, However yes is expected for Colins to slowly drop over the next few months, as most new patreons do then stablise and depending on how much he is getting out there on other shows etc very slowly rise month over month or slowly fall. The dollar figures on the 1-6th of the month are the real figures they get. This is what you should compare month on month to get a real idea of whats happening.

It's crazy to think that they had that discussion and, like you say, Tim's idea/vision for the show clearly won out. I would have thought that since it was Colin's brainchild that they would/should have deferred to him in terms of "creative direction" or whatever you want to call it. It was still doing fairly well at the time despite losing a bit of viewer count (what can you expect once the initial hype of the company's launch died down), and obviously the new direction expedited the demise of the show as opposed to revitalizing it.

It's crazy to think that they had that discussion and, like you say, Tim's idea/vision for the show clearly won out. I would have thought that since it was Colin's brainchild that they would/should have deferred to him in terms of "creative direction" or whatever you want to call it. It was still doing fairly well at the time despite losing a bit of viewer count (what can you expect once the initial hype of the company's launch died down), and obviously the new direction expedited the demise of the show as opposed to revitalizing it.

The thing is, it might be the right business decision for them. Clearly they're still getting a lot of tips and subscribers as a result, maybe even moreso than before. Colin himself even said that it was a weird tug-of-war between the original vision and the profitability of the silliness it had become. Maybe this makes them more money in the short term and they're good with that? Not saying one side or the other is the "right" approach, but that could be partly how they saw it and why it's stayed moving in that direction.

ST2K

Maybe this makes them more money in the short term and they're good with that? Not saying one side or the other is the "right" approach, but that could be partly how they saw it and why it's stayed moving in that direction.

Yeah, I have no doubt that this route is very profitable for them (despite what Tim says in the video), just because of the tips/subs. Them making the $5 minimum tip a thing was genius, considering the reason people wanted it was to spend less time on tips and that hasn't happened at all. But it is a piece of KF output that few people seem to dig and takes a pretty big effort from them. I'd like to see them review it again.

The thing is, it might be the right business decision for them. Clearly they're still getting a lot of tips and subscribers as a result, maybe even moreso than before. Colin himself even said that it was a weird tug-of-war between the original vision and the profitability of the silliness it had become. Maybe this makes them more money in the short term and they're good with that? Not saying one side or the other is the "right" approach, but that could be partly how they saw it and why it's stayed moving in that direction.

Yeah I can definitely see that. Tips have been flowing, and with the Prime subs I'm sure they're doing pretty well in that department too. The "Internet Explorers" or "Fun Clips" or whatever they're calling it now has definitely added in extra tips as well. It's sad to think that they seemingly compromised the initial vision for something that just brings in more money, but that's just me being cynical. Obviously if they're making more money off of it, they're doing something right/giving people what they want. It just makes me sad that what people want isn't what I want too, I guess.

It's hard to see it being sustainable though, given the drastic drops in viewership over the course of the last year.

The last PSILY is up, and Greg seems more excited about taking it in a new direction than sad it's ending, which is good to see. Hopefully they can come up with something worth listening to that emulates the style a bit.

The saddest part:
There's a tidbit from the first ever PSILY that was forward-looking that they added in to the end after the podcast "ends", and it's sad to see how their hopes for a long-running podcast with the two of them as co-hosts have gone down the drain.

jtar86

I've unsubscribed to both of their YouTube's now. End of an era, it's just not the same anymore. It use to be unique like giantbomb but now it just seems like an overly positive, goofy thumbnail, clickbait channel just like the rest of YouTube. I wish them the best but I don't really see it getting any better for me. I've seen an overwhelming amount of people that seem to feel the same as me, I'm guessing they are wishing they would of had colins back when they had a chance. He was really the only one bringing a different point of view and doing interesting things on the channel. I may check it out if they hire someone new but I'm not going to get my hopes up too much. Still like the guys the and genuinely hope for the best for them.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I've unsubscribed to both of their YouTube's now. End of an era, it's just not the same anymore. It use to be unique like giantbomb but now it just seems like an overly positive, goofy thumbnail, clickbait channel just like the rest of YouTube. I wish them the best but I don't really see it getting any better for me. I've seen an overwhelming amount of people that seem to feel the same as me, I'm guessing they are wishing they would of had colins back when they had a chance. He was really the only one bringing a different point of view and doing interesting things on the channel. I may check it out if they hire someone new but I'm not going to get my hopes up too much. Still like the guys the and genuinely hope for the best for them.

No Colin checked out months ago even before the Twitter stuff. So he just didn't give a fuck for the last year honestly. That shit was as bad as some of the current problems. Honestly I hate your post with a passion that because I have issues with current KoF that I should have just suddenly had Colin's back as if it's an either or situation without other avenues for nuance.

Biggiest issue is they need another KoF employee that can bring their own nuanced opinion to the floor to add to Tim and Greg to help round out discussions while being a regular so the audience can form a broader idea of where the person is coming from during discussions.

Maximo

No Colin checked out months ago even before the Twitter stuff. So he just didn't give a fuck for the last year honestly. That shit was as bad as some of the current problems. Honestly I hate your post with a passion that because I have issues with current KoF that I should have just suddenly had Colin's back as if it's an either or situation without other avenues for nuance.

Biggiest issue is they need another KoF employee that can bring their own nuanced opinion to the floor to add to Tim and Greg to help round out discussions while being a regular so the audience can form a broader idea of where the person is coming from during discussions.

They definitely need another permanent member perhaps with a more level headed personality that can bounce off the others with some deeper industry knowledge and love for games, I don't blame them for stumbling it can be fucking hard to lose a Podcast member especially one that Greg for the most part has been pod casting with for most of his career not just with Kinda funny but with Podcast beyond. They will get back up and hopefully come out better from it, I mean personally been enjoying the content more they always have a new guest on these days.

jtar86

I think you could start to notice a difference right around the time they partnered up with rooster team. I think that's when Colin kinda changed the way he felt about the company and where it was headed. I don't know for sure it's all just speculation on my part I could be totally wrong and that's fine. Just wish it could have all went down differently, it sucks not being able to enjoy their content anymore.

Zukkoyaki

Honestly their biggest problems right now are staleness and video output (which tie together). Their video output has completely plummeted from a year ago. Let's Plays are rare, Love & Sex Stuff seems done, Colin Was Right disappeared for obvious reasons and now PSILY is finished (though about to be replaced).

For having five staff members, a nice studio, plenty of ads and a lot of Patreon money, their output is a joke. It's the Morning Show and the weekly podcasts and that's almost it. Being a Twitch stream, the Morning Show can just be easily exported to YouTube (if that's what they're doing) so that isn't exactly a huge use of time.

Thankfully I'm pretty sure they said on this week's GOGS that the next episode of the Animated Series will be the finale. I've said it before but I can't imagine what a money and time sink that is especially when you consider the end product and how niche it is. Hopefully they'll have more time to produce different stuff.

I doubt they're wishing they "had Colin's back" since they stood up for what they believe in, and Colin's the one who threw himself under the bus, so to speak. He was very checked out in their content for months, so keeping him in the company definitely wouldn't have helped. As more things have surfaced about their different views on direction (e.g., someone recently showed me a GOG topic where they discussed the morning show, and Colin wanted it to stay serious/news focused and Tim/Kevin wanted it to be silly shenanigans) it's becoming more clear that they likely had very different views on things for the company.

Zukkoyaki said:
Honestly their biggest problems right now are staleness and video output (which tie together). Their video output has completely plummeted from a year ago. Let's Plays are rare, Love & Sex Stuff seems done, Colin Was Right disappeared for obvious reasons and now PSILY is finished (though about to be replaced).

For having five staff members, a nice studio, plenty of ads and a lot of Patreon money, their output is a joke. It's the Morning Show and the weekly podcasts and that's almost it. Being a Twitch stream, the Morning Show can just be easily exported to YouTube (if that's what they're doing) so that isn't exactly a huge use of time.

Thankfully I'm pretty sure they said on this week's GOGS that the next episode of the Animated Series will be the finale. I've said it before but I can't imagine what a money and time sink that is especially when you consider the end product and how niche it is. Hopefully they'll have more time to produce different stuff.

Summed up my thoughts to a T. They put out very little content for the number of employees they have, their access to resources, etc. I imagine after KFL3 they'll be putting out more, as they seem to want to wait for that to kickstart their content again. Much like the Animated Series (which I agree was a total time/money sink that was basically satiating Nick's desire to write/direct something, I think), KFL is a massive production that affects a miniscule portion of their fanbase, yet they put so much time and effort into it that their content suffers. How many times are they going to cancel the morning show to prepare stuff, and how much more content could they be producing if they didn't have to put all the time into the live show?

Mikey Jr.

I'm really interested in how they are going to stop the bleeding.

Because right now, as a company, they are not growing at all, they are dying. Thats just a fact. It is slow for sure. But day by day, they are losing subs in the double digits, and they lose patrons and revenue.

I'm not sure what the magic bullet is for them right now. Like, if I was hired to turn KF around, I legit wouldn't know what to do.

They keep saying "wait for KFL3, we have answer there" just shows to me that they don't have any answers. Why wait for months to fix your platform?

So Tim chimed in a bit on the low morale in the KF community:

Thank you all for caring about us enough to put this much thought into what we do. It is really appreciated.

Now I want to set the record straight on a few things. I understand "wait til KFL3" has hit meme-like status. But here is the deal, we are not doing that as any shady business scheme, and OBVIOUSLY not trying to limit the information from getting to the wider community. In fact, the plan is to release a video on YouTube/Twitter going over all of the announcements in MUCH more detail than we are going to at the show, DURING the show. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the video came out BEFORE we even announce the stuff on stage. KFL3 is our deadline. We are using it as the target to get all the changes in place. Things can't happen over night, but we knew we could turn things around if we worked our asses off going into KFL3. There are some BIG changes and additions. We have been using this time to get things lined up, confirmed, and ready to go.

I am seeing a lot of criticism about our communication and relationship with the community, and people mad that we aren't moving quicker and replacing the shows and talent we lost. None of us expected Colin to straight up leave us out of no where. He did. After we had sold hundreds of tickets to KFL3, we couldn't just cancel the show. Trust me, I wanted to. And do you know how much that hurts me to say? I understand that not everyone has the means to come come to San Francisco for the show, but for all the people that are flying from all over the world to see us, you better believe I am going to do right by them.

In the past, we have seen the KFL press conference as fluff. It was a joke making fun of E3, but also it was a fun way to announce stuff. But this year is different. This year is a game changer for the future of Kinda Funny. And most of the announcements are going to roll out VERY soon after KFL. Not months after. That is confirmed. The only thing really complicating schedule is E3, which is the week after and our content schedule is gonna be all outta whack, but fuck that is gonna be fun. I can't wait for E3. Get HYPED!
We KNOW the feedback. I am in the various communities daily. I lurk way more than I respond, but that is my style. I hate typing. It ain't my thing. But that doesn't stop me from replying in the FB group on a almost daily basis. I was never an active Reddit user, but ever since I started coming over here recently, I have been responding to a bunch of things. Both positive and negative. People get upset and say "Tim only responds to positive posts," and that is simply not true. What is true is that it is much harder to respond to negative posts because ever single letter I use gets scrutinized to hell. Doesn't stop me from trying.

I've been reading ever single response from the survey we put out. It might not line up with your beliefs, but the vocal minority is a real thing. However, I know that doesn't mean there isn't real truth and value in what is being said. I am listening. We are listening.
Thank you. Now I gotta go edit 10 billion videos for KFL3. Man, it is gonna be so awesome!
-Tim <3

ST2K

I grow tired of the run-around they're giving us.

- Criticism takes place in the back half of last year, due to Colin checking out and KF slowly degrading into personality worship.
- "Wait until Kinda Funny Day in January! We'll address things then!"
- Day arrives, they announce some things that kind of somewhat address criticisms. But it's clear most of it doesn't address the problems. Criticism reoccurs alongside new pain points.
- "Give it time! We're just starting to roll this out!"
- Time is given. Problems are not addressed. Criticism resurfaces, the snowball gets larger than ever due to the Colin fallout and related issues.
- "Wait until KFL!"

I understand there's only so much they can do and they're a small operation. But this isn't how you address things and engender a positive community...

ghornett

Neo Member
I've been reading ever single response from the survey we put out. It might not line up with your beliefs, but the vocal minority is a real thing. However, I know that doesn't mean there isn't real truth and value in what is being said.

Not sure how I feel about this. Can the majority really be saying everything is fine we love the way it's going?

Cool that he responded. Interested to see what they have planned.

It is cool that he responded. The response wasn't great, since it tows the same lines they've done for a while, and he mentioned how he lurks a lot but "hates typing".

He helped found an internet-based company, with a community that is obviously going to organize itself in some form on the internet and yet he complains about typing as his excuse for not responding to threads, etc. But your response says it all, it's cool when they respond, even just to say they're listening. That's what Jeremy Dunham mentioned in PSILY to Greg, and I really hope they take that advice to heart.

He's been responding the threads pretty often lately so it's not even really an "excuse" for anything as he does it anyway.

Seems as though he's maybe getting better about it, but even so his posts are relatively few and far between. He hasn't even logged into the KF Forums since the 19th, and hasn't posted on there since January (someone posted this in response to his Reddit comment). Don't know if I've ever seen him post anything on the GAF threads. The point remains that historically KF as a whole has been abysmal at interacting with the community, even after hiring Joey. Seems they didn't really have a plan for what they wanted her to do, and she's been pretty much MIA since they hired her, which goes to show that they're likely using her paid time to do things other than interact with the community.

It is cool that he responded. The response wasn't great, since it tows the same lines they've done for a while, and he mentioned how he lurks a lot but "hates typing".

He helped found an internet-based company, with a community that is obviously going to organize itself in some form on the internet and yet he complains about typing as his excuse for not responding to threads, etc. But your response says it all, it's cool when they respond, even just to say they're listening. That's what Jeremy Dunham mentioned in PSILY to Greg, and I really hope they take that advice to heart.

I think the complaint about typing has to do with the fact that it would be easier to get his point across talking to someone. Maybe that's what we will see at KFL3.

I personally think that having KFL3 so close to an event like E3 puts a stress on the Kinda Funny machine. Maybe that is one of the reasons why the content hasn't been up to snuff and the outcry has been more noticeable as of late. Sure, Colin leaving definitely threw a lot of wrenches into future plans this year (as well as more outcry). Now they have to deal with the ramifications (both short term and long term) of that as well as reshuffle there plans. This is just them trying to get things back on some sort of track.

Hoping for a good turn around.

It's been a real joy watching these guys build this from the ground up, watching them grow it into this huge web platform, from their bedroom to Greg winning gamer of the year to the new studio.... even seeing Tim evolve in front of the camera has been great. But it's so disheartening to see them bury their head in the sand with this "vocal minority" thing. I'm starting to doubt if they can even repair things never mind get to the next level.

I find it funny that when PS I Love You XOXO started, Podcast Beyond moved from Tuesdays to Wednesdays shortly thereafter. And then just weeks before PS I Love You XOXO ended, Podcast Beyond moved back to Tuesday. I do believe Max, Brian, and the guys that it's not related, but, still, it's pretty funny timing.

I hope there's no KFL4. Or at least if there is, I hope it's not next year. I get that it's a cool event and that they enjoy doing it, but it seems to affect so much more of their content in a negative way. Just have a panel at RTX / PAX - hell, with the time saved they could probably justify hitting more of those type of events. But the way things are now, with KFL taking time away from the content they put out on a daily basis, just isn't working.

It's been a real joy watching these guys build this from the ground up, watching them grow it into this huge web platform, from their bedroom to Greg winning gamer of the year to the new studio.... even seeing Tim evolve in front of the camera has been great. But it's so disheartening to see them bury their head in the sand with this "vocal minority" thing. I'm starting to doubt if they can even repair things never mind get to the next level.

It's so weird to me to see them repeatedly mention this "vocal minority". It seems to me that most of the feedback they get on Reddit, GAF, and the KF Forums is (dare I say) negative, or at least criticism in some form. What do they stand to lose by trying to make changes that would appease a great deal of those people? Are they afraid they'll send the "silent majority" packing? Because the likelihood of that happening is slim to none in my opinion, those people are likely to continue supporting KF regardless of any changes they make, short of some drastic shift in content.

KoF Live was a dumb idea when Colin was there.

It isn't about Colin or being short staffed.

The fundamental idea isn't&#8203; good for their business at this point.

I've never thought KFL made sense. It seems like a huge waste of effort and time for a very small group of people that does next to nothing to expand their brand. To me it always screamed out as the embodiment of what Tim represents for KF, the desire to be a hype internet celebrity.

It's weird, I'm a big fan of KF, have been on board from the start. Colin leaving definitely soured me though, because I came there for Colin and Greg. It feels like with his absence there is either a lack of balance to produce the kind of content and chemistry I was into, or the sense of direction has just gone completely off the rails.

Top Bottom