• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry: RotTR Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro First Look Graphics Comaprison

c0de

FFXV on Pro uses on top of much better texture filtering also improved textures in some places.

There's more texture to the tarmac and a little bit of gleaming wetness added here.

The ornament on the floor has more three-dimensionality and gleam to it.

The X version should be even better, especially when it doesn't have the frame pacing issues the PlayStation has.

I know its not going to happen but if all games came with three separate modes like Tomb Raider does it really would be a game changer. I really really hope that first party studios are taking note.

JusDoIt

Native 4K mode looks great on the One X. You can definitely see the improvement over the Pro, just off the textures alone.

That shimmer during the 4K Enriched Visuals mode is pretty noticeable, though. The "temporal reconstruction technique" they're using seems pretty janky compared to the checkerboarding we see on the Pro.

I just updated the OP with an example where Xbox One X, PS4 Pro and PC are compared.

Enjoy!

7XphzqI.png

Dayom. It is quite damn clear there, holy cow.

It's 1080p. I'm almost 100% certain.

Yep! Not sure when, though. I'm taking some time off this week.

Ok well in that case 4K all the way for me.

Oh and some of those folks here going "I prefer the PS4, X version looks unnatural. Really? You can't make this shit up, haha.

The Xbox One X versions looks fantastic, would love to play the game a third time, when I get the console in 2018. Looking forward to another analyse near launch from DF.

I loved the PS4 Pro coverage last year and I do hope they will do the same with the X this year.

Edit:

I just updated the OP with an example where Xbox One X, PS4 Pro and PC are compared.

Enjoy!

7XphzqI.png

Just a nitpick, but the X versions looks slightly sharper than the PC version. Is there some form of oversharpening in place? Iirc that was (is?) a problem with Xbox One games a while back ago.

Hawk269

Can't believe the amount of people that were trying to downplay Microsoft's discussion on 4k textures. I mean, sure they were using a pretty dumb term to explain a complex concept, but they were clearly on to something.

I agree. I don't know how many posts were trying to say there would not be much at all difference because the difference in flop count is about the same as the difference between PS4 and Xbox One. I have been consistent in stating that the memory amount and bandwidth were going to play a lot into what would make the differences. I am a PC player as well and been gaming in 4k for sometime, one thing I learned early on when jumping to get hardware to 4k was the amount of Vram it would take just to run in 4k, then the extra Vram needed for higher res textures.

Being a closed system and some of the improvements they made the CPU is making it possible to get to 4k with a 6tf GPU, but it is the memory and memory bandwidth that is going to make a huge difference if devs take advantage of it.

Yes. It's real. Captured directly from a PS4 Pro at 2160p.

The reason for 50% is due more to the lack of available footage (only had that short trailer to work from).

Not everyone is going to find these upgrades worthwhile, however, but it's quite obvious to the trained eye.

I agree that it's debatable that the upgrade is worthwhile, but the difference is obvious. As a person interested in tech, I'm impressed with the XB1X in that point of view.

Great job with the captures.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Maybe lol but the texture difference is surprising for sure
Yeah but to be fair the Pro patch mainly updated the Resolution and added effects for the enhanced mode.
I expect the X1X update to be a lot beefer update with complete replacement of thr original textures.
There's a lot more gone into it which is to be expected considering it's been a year.
I wonder if the updated textures could be implemented in the Pro version, still 4k enhanced mode is the main stand out which sets them apart

Dec

The Xbox One X versions looks fantastic, would love to play the game a third time, when I get the console in 2018. Looking forward to another analyse near launch from DF.

I loved the PS4 Pro coverage last year and I do hope they will do the same with the X this year.

Edit:

The X versions looks slightly sharper than the PC version. Is there some form of oversharpening in place? Iirc that was (is?) a problem with Xbox One games a while back ago.

Think it's just worse AA. You can see on the bridge of the nose. As one example.

BigEmil

Why are some differences so much bigger, like here?

eH9MJIg.png

And some hardly noticable, like here?

vlcsnap-2017-08-26-1083sl3.jpg
Because Crystal Dynamics added a little new updated textures not present in PS4/PC.

We don't know yet if they will update the other platforms to include a few of the new stuff changes

Mauddib

Banned

eH9MJIg.png

In the video, he mentions that the extra level of blurriness is not primarily because of resolution, but rather that they dialed down the use of motion blur in the 1X version.

JusDoIt

eH9MJIg.png

For the top image, the One X version is definitely using newer textures (not seen on the Pro or PC versions) and it's also missing the depth of field we get on the Pro (probably just for demo purposes, hopefully the final release adds that in because it would be a downgrade without it).

The bottom image is probably a cutscene using the same assets on both versions.

belvedere

Junior Butler
These textures simply don't exist in either the PC or PS4 Pro versions. It will be interesting to see if they're added to at least PC.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I know its not going to happen but if all games came with three separate modes like Tomb Raider does it really would be a game changer. I really really hope that first party studios are taking note.

Literally!

I agree. This should be the target for most action games.

geordiemp

In the video, he mentions that the extra level of blurriness is not primarily because of resolution, but rather that they dialed down the use of motion blur in the 1X version.

Exactly, he also says you have to look at still shots to make anything out...so ...

On my 4K TV played it in high frame rate mode, interesting to see if XBX holds a better 60.

Still think we need a console with a decent CPU and we could play all games at 60 developer option permitting.

Fredrik

Maybe lol but the texture difference is surprising for sure
Not just the textures, in the close ups it looks like there is some kind of blur-filter on the whole picture on Pro compared to the crisp Xbox One X picture. I don't know the details regarding checkerboarding and native resolution but I'm honestly blown away by this comparison. Didn't expect anything like this. And it's just the beginning.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
These textures simply don't exist in either the PC or PS4 Pro versions. It will be interesting to see if they're added to at least PC.
I still believe a update will come.
PC is definitely capable and so far no other game has had this kinda difference between Pro and X1X, Native Resolution and Performance had been the main difference so a updated texture pack must be the key difference which I'm sure the PC and even Pro can handle.
it whether they update them, that's the question.
I doubt they will thou.

It's the kind of update that would made me jump from one console to another, but I'm just so used to the PlayStation 4 ecosystem at this point that it's super hard for me to do it. I'm glad Nixxes is proving once again they are one of the best in business.

onQ123

Xbox One X does seem a little unbalanced with higher quality textures but lower effects but the game is unfinished right now & they was probably just playing to the strength of the hardware 1st & they will optimize & make it look even better by release.

The added graphic effects for the definitve editions of the Tomb Raider reboot (also made by Nixxes) never made it to the PC, so I wouldn't expect that the PC version will get the same upgrades.

Tarrin

Not just the textures, in the close ups it looks like there is some kind of blur-filter on the whole picture on Pro compared to the crisp Xbox One X picture. I don't know the details regarding checkerboarding and native resolution but I'm honestly blown away by this comparison. Didn't expect anything like this. And it's just the beginning.

I think that's due to the Xbox One X having reduced depth of field.

Digital Foundry said:
There are some interesting observations here - clearly, the top-end PC textures are incorporated into the Xbox One X version as expected (indeed, one shot even shows additional detail we couldn't replicate on PC). Additionally, other changes have been made: on the plus side, PureHair (aka TressFX) seems to get an upgrade, but there's a puzzling downgrade in depth of field rendering. We'll have more on this title as soon as we can.

Correct me if I'm wrong. New to delving into the tech side.

Those 4K textures are pretty damn good though. Wonder if it holds a solid 60 on enhanced mode (or whatever it is on XBX).

rokkerkory

Xbox One X does seem a little unbalanced with higher quality textures but lower effects but the game is unfinished right now & they was probably just playing to the strength of the hardware 1st & they will optimize & make it look even better by release.

Well 1x only really has 3TF rite?

The added graphic effects for the definitve editions of the Tomb Raider reboot (also made by Nixxes) never made it to the PC, so I wouldn't expect that the PC version will get the same upgrades.

Probably not, unless Square Enix pays for it which they have little reason to do. I'm guessing that Microsoft footed the bill for the X1X version.

Crayon

eH9MJIg.png

The first screen has some prominent textures upgraded so the difference is more easily visible. The second one is seems to use all the same textures so it would be a lot harder to tell. I don't think I could pass the pepsi challenge on the second one.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

eH9MJIg.png

This. It's funny but i really don't believe the difference in the first screen has to do with "power". Looks more like over using of Dof or blur, and other shots are almost the same quality.

I think DoF is not enabled in the X1 shot or they both captured in different modes.

Fredrik

I think that's due to the Xbox One X having reduced depth of field.
Not talking about the background, there is a blurriness on Lara's face too on Pro compared to XBX. But maybe that's just the effect of less sharp textures? Or is it the checkerboarding?
Whatever it is it's surprising! My PC just became old news too tbh, 1080ti on 1080p screens, great framerates but nothing like the crispiness seen here.

Caayn

How many DF vids are there on this game now? I was already one of if not the most covered game on the channel before but it's got to be way in front now.
A lot, it must be the most covered game by Digital Foundry at this point.

Videos:
The Cutting-Edge Tech of Rise of the Tomb Raider
Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox One Frame-Rate Test
Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox 360 vs Xbox One Frame-Rate Test
Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox 360 vs Xbox One Graphics Comparison
Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox One Tech Analysis/Frame-Rate Test [Work In Progress]
Rise of the Tomb Raider GTX 970 vs R9 390/1080p60 PC Performance
Rise of the Tomb Raider PC/Xbox One Graphics Comparison
Rise of the Tomb Raider PS4 Gameplay First Look & Analysis
Rise of the Tomb Raider PS4 vs Xbox One Graphics Comparison/ Frame-Rate Test
DF 4K Sample: Rise of the Tomb Raider - PS4 Pro vs PC graphics comparison
[4K] Rise of the Tomb Raider: Complete PS4 Pro Tech Analysis
Rise of the Tomb Raider PS4 Pro vs PC 4K Graphics Comparison
[4K] Rise of the Tomb Raider PS4/Pro Patch 1.06: Much Improved!
[4K] Rise of the Tomb Raider: Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro First Look Graphics Comparison!

Articles:
Tech Analysis: Rise of the Tomb Raider
Face-Off: Rise of the Tomb Raider on PC
Digital Foundry: Hands on with PS4 Rise of the Tomb Raider
Rise of the Tomb Raider: the first PS4 Pro vs PC graphics comparison
How Rise of the Tomb Raider on Xbox One X improves over PS4 Pro
I still believe a update will come.
PC is definitely capable and so far no other game has had this kinda difference between Pro and X1X, Native Resolution and Performance had been the main difference so a updated texture pack must be the key difference which I'm sure the PC and even Pro can handle.
it whether they update them, that's the question.
I doubt they will thou.
The question is more: Does the PS4 Pro have enough VRAM to handle the new textures?

Top Bottom