• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fullbright Company decides not to show Gone Home at PAX Indie Megabooth in protest

marrec

Banned
No better way to send a message to hateful people than their pocket books. Steve and the Fullbright Company are doing it right.

While I really dislike Penny Arcade, I can't help but feel like people are getting offended a little too easily about some of this stuff. Regardless, good for them I guess. They'll probably end up getting more press this way anyways. In a roundabout kind of way it's a smart PR move.

EmiPrime

Copy and paste from the other thread:

Awesome to see them stand and be counted! :) I was already interested in the game but now I will be taking an interest in everything they do.

These same folks bring up the "why so serious?" crap when discussing racism online and in games. Take a hard stance on these issues. Good for them (although bad for business).

pa22word

Steve's an awesome guy, always goes out of his way to respond whenever I tweet him about some random question about Minerva's Den or game design in general. Thus such a classy move is not at all surprising to see from these guys. Good for them, and for doing such a thing I pledge to buy no less than 5 copies of their game at full price. It probably won't help make up for all their losses they may take over missing this event, and I may have to miss an "AAA blockbuster" or two this year, but hopefully what little I can do will help out. They did the right thing here, and I think that deserves to be rewarded.

Are people not allowed to react to his opinions as they see fit?
In the current climate, it appears that you are only allowed to react to someone's opinions if doing so aligns with a very specific extremist political ideology.

It's become rather disingenuous and quite frankly, fraudulent.

"Equality for all (just as long as they agree with us)!"

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Whatever our disagreements with Mike and Jerry, Jerry is not Mike's keeper or boss. It is not his responsibility to rein him in, nor does he have the direct authority to do so.

I wasn't insinuating that. At a basic level, you're right. But it would be kinda nice, don't you think? Seeing as they're longtime friends and business partners 'n' all. But I know it won't/can't happen because I was insinuating they're on the same level of immaturity despite what many think.

Walshicus

The assertive statements that he makes are the reason the suicide rate is so high.

The fact that someone that is worshiped online by arguably hundreds of thousands of people, enough to sell out expos, and possibly by you, despises your lifestyle choice hurts A LOT.

This isn't just one person saying it. It's a person that people look up to.
First statement is such bullshit it's nearly comic.

Second, you're batshit insane if you read any of his tweets as supporting the view that he 'despises' people who don't identify with their own gender.

Cyrix

Neo Member
Whatever our disagreements with Mike and Jerry, Jerry is not Mike's keeper or boss. It is not his responsibility to rein him in, nor does he have the direct authority to do so.

Jerry is certainly not solely responsible for Mike, but if Mike insists on pulling this stuff onto the official PA site then Jerry has every right and obligation to stand up to him about it if he disagrees. PA is a lot bigger than Mike and Jerry and the things Mike is saying are hurting their reputation and could effect peoples livelihood.

The assertive statements that he makes are the reason the suicide rate is so high.

The fact that someone that is worshiped online by arguably hundreds of thousands of people, enough to sell out expos, and possibly by you, despises your lifestyle choice hurts A LOT.

This isn't just one person saying it. It's a person that people look up to.

Whoa, slow down buddy. See this is why a lot of the opinions set forth by the LBGT community are dismissed. You are going too far now.

In what way does saying you believe a vagina makes you a woman lead you to believe that person despises your lifestyle?

LiK

https://twitter.com/BenKuchera/status/348129555468410880

Oph7aTB.jpg

Sqorgar

Banned
me personally? seeing as i have transgendered friends, and this specifically getting no response from PAX attendees, developers, panelists, etc would make them feel worse about gamers and the industry. it sends them a message that people either actively dislike them or don't care enough about their problems to make any kind of stand for them.
Gaming is full of a bunch of douchebags. The things people say and believe in this industry should be offensive to everybody and yet those behaviors are glossed over and even defended. And yet, one guy who has a well earned reputation for being an insensitive dickhead suddenly speaks for the entire industry? Sounds to me like maybe Gabe isn't the only one making absurd generalizations here.

If anything, the game industry is far more sensitive to LGBT issues than any other entertainment industry in the world, and not for nothing. Heck, there have been famous transgendered figures in the industry (such as the creator of M.U.L.E.) and they have been honored and respected at a time when the rest of the world was still treating transgender issues as if it were a bad joke.

I don't have a problem with people being offended by Gabe's comments. I have a problem with them attributing those comments to the game industry or even Penny Arcade or PAX. Gabe is an asshole. He always has been and likely always will be. But that's Gabe's problem.

thumb

Banned
Jerry is certainly not solely responsible for Mike, but if Mike insists on pulling this stuff onto the official PA site then Jerry has every right and obligation to stand up to him about it if he disagrees. PA is a lot bigger than Mike and Jerry and the things Mike is saying are hurting their reputation and could effect peoples livelihood.

I agree on that much--he should to talk to him. However, I was responding to a post about Jerry letting Mike get away with something, as though he had given him permission or opted not to use a punishment that was at his disposal.

In the current climate, it appears that you are only allowed to react to someone's opinions if doing so aligns with a very specific extremist political ideology.

It's become rather disingenuous and quite frankly, fraudulent.

"Equality for all (just as long as they agree with us)!"

I don't think being sympathetic to people who might feel marginalized is an extreme ideal.

Darklord

Banned
Then there were the Penny Arcade Kickstarters, one of which offered to let backers pay them $7,500 to work as a Penny Arcade intern for a day.

The PA guys are seriously arrogant fucks, aren't they?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Not really and it's odd.

I agreed with your deleted comment. EDIT: Wow he actually did say something. Bravo, Kuchera.

However, there have been smaller blogs covering the event. Just no big blogs or news sites yet.

http://borderhouseblog.com/?p=10995

That one was from early yesterday, I'm not sure if much else has happened beyond Mike's apology.

I don't agree that this is the wisest business move for the Fullbright folks, but I am glad that they are willing to stick to their guns on this issue. I almost feel though that, perhaps by putting their game out in front of the audience at PAX in such a highly-esteemed area of the show floor, they could have done more for their cause by specifically talking about the LGBT elements. It is their decision, though.

I used to love PA but they have done so much to tarnish my view of them and the things related to the site that I don't really visit the forum or read the comic anymore. Mostly everyone else I know from there has done the same, and we've all retracted to steam chats with no relation to the sinking ship.

Persona7

Banned
I totally understand why they decided to pull out.

That being said, I have been looking forward to this game for a while.

Kyou

"Any titillation gets called out as sexist or misogynistic, and involve any antagonist race aside from Anglo-Saxon and you’re called a racist. It’s gone too far and when will it all end?"

I seriously cannot believe this is a for real, approved panel for PAX Australia. What the fuck?

LiK

I agreed with your deleted comment.

However, there have been smaller blogs covering the event. Just no big blogs or news sites yet.

That one was from early yesterday, I'm not sure if much else has happened beyond Mike's apology.

I don't agree that this is the wisest business move for the Fullbright folks, but I am glad that they are willing to stick to their guns on this issue. I almost feel though that, perhaps by putting their game out in front of the audience at PAX in such a highly-esteemed area of the show floor, they could have done more for their cause by specifically talking about the LGBT elements.

Yea, I edited after Kuchera actually tweeted about it.

I agreed with your deleted comment.

I don't agree that this is the wisest business move for the Fullbright folks, but I am glad that they are willing to stick to their guns on this issue. I almost feel though that, perhaps by putting their game out in front of the audience at PAX in such a highly-esteemed area of the show floor, they could have done more for their cause by specifically talking about the LGBT elements.

They have many more avenues of advertising their game and communicating their themes. They can't have it both ways since they have to pay to get in -- their money would be supporting someone whose views they're against.

Cyrix

Neo Member
I agree on that much--he should to talk to him. However, I was responding to a post about Jerry letting Mike get away with something, as though he had given him permission or opted not to use a punishment that was at his disposal.

Fair enough, I responded a little too quickly.

But I would say that Jerry is letting him get away with it. If this was all confined to twitter then sure, Mike is speaking for himself but Mike brought this mess onto The PA website and at that point Jerry should have stepped up.

"Any titillation gets called out as sexist or misogynistic, and involve any antagonist race aside from Anglo-Saxon and you’re called a racist. It’s gone too far and when will it all end?"

I seriously cannot believe this is a for real, approved panel for PAX Australia. What the fuck?

It's not incorrect: any titillation and at least one prominent gaming website and/or blog will call you sexist or misogynistic, and if you use any non-white enemy denomination you will get similarly called racist and/or xenophobic.

While I don't normally approve of "titillation" in gaming or mowing down Middle Easterners and Russians, I also don't typically approve of calling someone "transphobic" for saying/believing that women have vaginas.

Fair enough, I responded a little too quickly.

But I would say that Jerry is letting him get away with it. If this was all confined to twitter then sure, Mike is speaking for himself but Mike brought this mess onto The PA website and at that point Jerry should have stepped up.

Stepped up in what way?

aeolist

Banned
Gaming is full of a bunch of douchebags. The things people say and believe in this industry should be offensive to everybody and yet those behaviors are glossed over and even defended. And yet, one guy who has a well earned reputation for being an insensitive dickhead suddenly speaks for the entire industry? Sounds to me like maybe Gabe isn't the only one making absurd generalizations here.

If anything, the game industry is far more sensitive to LGBT issues than any other entertainment industry in the world, and not for nothing. Heck, there have been famous transgendered figures in the industry (such as the creator of M.U.L.E.) and they have been honored and respected at a time when the rest of the world was still treating transgender issues as if it were a bad joke.

I don't have a problem with people being offended by Gabe's comments. I have a problem with them attributing those comments to the game industry or even Penny Arcade or PAX. Gabe is an asshole. He always has been and likely always will be. But that's Gabe's problem.
gaming might be better in general but i still have the obligation to demand more, because while things have gotten better for LGBT rights we're still not good enough.

i think it's totally appropriate to boycott PAX because gabe would benefit from it directly, the same way i thought boycotting shadow complex as a result of OSC's homophobia was good, or the way i think people should boycott dragoncon since a proven pedophile makes money from it

Who gives a shit what Gabe says. I don't.

Clearly Fullbrite do given the topic so why even ask that question?

I mean if proceeds from PAX went to fund anti-transgender legislation, sure boycott it. But someone says something offensive on twitter. Chill out.

Fullbrite issued an attire statement explaining why they pulled out buy why even read that? I mean what was said didn't affect you so everybody who was affected by it must be over-sensitive, right?

This seems like a lot of controversy over nothing. The Dickwolves thing was ridiculously overblown, the fact you're not allowed to even talk about things being too politically correct in a panel is ridiculous and I haven't followed the recent "transphobia" controversy but I'm sure it's equally ridiculous.

Of course you're allowed to have a panel on political correctness. And people are allowed to react to that panel how they will. No one is arguing that Mike ought to be legally restrained from expressing his thoughts (or worse, having those thoughts) simply because they're hurtful to others. They are, however, trying to correct him as to the basis of those thoughts, or at the very least persuade him that it is not sociable to continue asserting those thoughts in a time/place where he knows they will be hurtful. Mike has every right to express his opinion, but it's pretty poor form to play the aggrieved party when, gasp, there may be informal social consequences for knowingly expressing a hurtful opinion.

shidoshi has had a panel on transgender issues in gaming at the last two PAX Easts I attended. Clearly they aren't some sort of internet hate machine out to destroy feminists and transgender alike.

That's good to hear, and I imagine it will help Mike's case that he has no hateful feelings toward the trans community.

aeolist

Banned
It's not incorrect: any titillation and at least one prominent gaming website and/or blog will call you sexist or misogynistic, and if you use any non-white enemy denomination you will get similarly called racist and/or xenophobic.

While I don't normally approve of "titillation" in gaming or mowing down Middle Easterners and Russians, I also don't typically approve of calling someone "transphobic" for saying/believing that women have vaginas.

the real problem is the way he followed it up. people tried to educate him, which is understandable given his clear ignorance, and he blew up in their faces and finished off with "ok i'll treat you the way you want but you can't make me internalize it!"

pa22word

Who is Fullbright Company?

Indie developer made up of some dudes who worked @ 2K games under studios such as 2K Marin and Irrational games, and worked on games such as BioShock 2, BS2: Minerva's Den (Steve Gaynor, co-founder of FBC, directed it), and BioShock Infinite.

Their forum admin backed out on a promise he made for Child's Play until forum members started calling them on it.

Other forum members egged on a female forum member to meet up with a guy on Craigslist or some such alternative to explore sex that included cutting. She came back and said he cut her genitals and she might need to go to the hospital. Everyone that egged her on was just like, "Oh I'm sorry that sucks you should go to the hospital".

They have sections where you can talk about the daily strips but infract anyone with a negative opinion.

PA is pretty fucking awful. Community wise, at least.

With that said, I still think dickwolves wasn't that bad. The butt of the joke were the assholes who minimize rape/couldn't care less, not the actual victim. But if the PA guys were smart enough to explain that instead of getting offended that someone got the wrong idea, it would have ended better, so that's their own fault as well. But even then, they probably shouldn't have used that type of situation to get their point across anyway.

Good for Fullbright. Good to see people taking action instead of simply talking.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
They have many more avenues of advertising their game and communicating their themes. They can't have it both ways since they have to pay to get in -- their money would be supporting someone whose views they're against.

PAX is one of the biggest avenues though, which is why I feel it is a shame that they had to back out as their product should be seen and heard. I'm really hoping this move turns out on the positive for them.

Who is Fullbright Company?

They're the makers of an exploration game called Gone Home which is set to release this year. It deals with a lot of different themes and is quite obviously something different from the norm. You should check it out!

panda21

glad to see this happening.

I hope giantbomb stop doing pax panels.

I really don't understand why they are popular, they just make bad comics as far as i can tell. also one of them thinks they are called gabe or something, but there names are actually Jerry and Mike? i don't understand.

First there was the entire “Dickwolves” debacle, during which Mike said that it “felt pretty good” to “support rape culture.”
I'm not defending anything Mike said on Twitter or elsewhere, but I have a feeling this is a pretty disingenuous framing of that situation. What's the context for those statements?

Good on them. I think it's brave to take a stand on what you believe when it hurts your own chances of success and will be met with Apathy at best from most of the people you were trying to impress.

Oh stating facts gets you in the gutter now. Good to know.

Note: i am not denying the right to do anything to anyone.

never liked the comics anyway

glad to see this happening.

I hope giantbomb stop doing pax panels.

I really don't understand why they are popular, they just make bad comics as far as i can tell. also one of them thinks they are called gabe or something, but there names are actually Jerry and Mike? i don't understand.

The comics used to be great.

The characters in the comic are basically their attitudes/opinions and caricatures of themselves but not ACTUALLY them.

The Adder

Banned
This is probably entirely legitimate sentiment, but it's also brilliant marketing, because they just picked up a sale from me.

Top Bottom