• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

-=-=->S P O I L E R S<-=-=- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Spoiler Thread

Dystify

rLfzBb1.png

WARNING: Heavy Zelda: Breath of the Wild spoilers in this topic! Read at own risk.

Please post any and all spoilers about the game in this topic and ONLY in this topic. This includes leaks, story spoilers and everything else. Thank you! (Permission to create this topic has been given.)

Click here to visit the Preview Thread

Spoilers start after this unnecessarily large empty space. You've been warned!

To start you off, here's a video about an in-game event that takes place every once in a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBgRGTmgQZQ

doop_

Banned
With all the easter egg costumes i am starting to think the game takes place after OOT but outside the timeline.

Yeah the goddamn blood moon. I imagine people playing the game without spoilers will have their minds blown like 8 or 9 times at least.

Forkball

All spoilers. Leaks, story, videos. Everything.

Alright, well here are leaked assets.

The hood, which has appeared in the preview video with dyeing options.
CEyWZ2g.png

Futuristic armor similar to the Guardians
ft03jj7.png

Shields and weapons. Note the Hylian Shield, WW shield, upgraded rods, and Master Sword
vnjqeXf.png

Zelda 1, Dark Link, and Fierce Deity Link outfits (very unlikely to be story related)
QOaCKco.png

Different armor and classic Sheik outfit
AYxnusV.png

Sheik mask + Potions
FzlBLl1.png

Leaked images from showing off Switch hardware
IBHg5cT.jpg

Honestly the spoilers just made me even more hyped. Kinda wished they showed more of this in the trailers instead of just Link climbing and running.

Caelus

I feel like it takes place in OoT far in the Downfall Timeline, maybe after OoT, Aonuma mentioned it was in a universe that has had "repeated attacks by Ganon" and the Downfall timeline is characteristic of that.

I can't see it being the Adult Timeline where Hylians have moved on from their old kingdom to New Hyrule. The "Rito" could just be Hylian for "avian" or "birdlike", and the Rito in BotW are the "true" Rito while the Zoras are just as they are, regular Zora with varying designs. The koroks can be explained as needing to adapt to the calamity.

In the NES LoZ Ganon was at least in the form of a pig beast, in AoL his minions attempted to resurrect him. The Calamity might be a product of a botched resurrection. I don't think Nintendo would have an issue connecting to old games when they've done so with Link Between Worlds.

killroy87

Do we know what that big secret idea/thing Aonuma kept talking about, that he's had forever as a way of telling story in an open world game?

I don't care, I want it spoiled if someone knows what it is.

Do we know what that big secret idea/thing Aonuma kept talking about, that he's had forever as a way of telling story in an open world game?

I don't care, I want it spoiled if someone knows what it is.

The theory that must subscribe to is that he's talking about the memory system (which is something we glimpsed as a menu option during prior demoes). It appears that there are 18 "memory" cutscenes you'll somehow uncover throughout the game, that will detail what happened prior to Link's 100 year slumber.

That's a big number of easter eggs for a Zelda game so far. Outside of direct sequels like Majora's Mask, the games are self contained.

Canon-defying easter eggs are common in the series. Majora's Mask in A Link Between Worlds, Mario Portraits in Hyrule Castle in OOT, Chrstine using Peach's picture to catfish in Link's Awakening, Tingle appearing as a plush in Skyward Sword, A Picture of Makar appearing in Triforce Heroes, etc, etc, etc.

This game having so much more content than previous entries in the series makes it easy for them to include more easter eggs, especially since this is the first game in the series with a full gear system.

I'm just saying, seems too early to read into this stuff too far.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Cool, though I wonder how long it will take for info regarding the location of the Master Sword and Hyrulian shield is, as I want to make a beeline towards that and forgo using the crappy and breakable weapon and shield.

Such a terrible gameplay mechanic.

Eh, kinda a lame way of getting the traditional green tunic as it's missing the iconic hat, but eh we will see as I am sure that I will find a clothing that will suit my style.

Entering the thread briefly as I've already seen the blood moon stuff and knew about the Wizzrobes to just say holy shit at the blood moon and hell yeah to the Wizzrobes.

That's all. Peace out.

What if the old man is ganondorf in disguise? Just a random thought I had. Probably already been debunked.

He's almost certainly the king. We know he's in the game due to the story trailer, and he resemble's Wind Waker's take on the king very closely.

Caelus

Eh, kinda a lame way of getting the traditional green tunic as it's missing the iconic hat, but eh we will see as I am sure that I will find a clothing that will suit my style.

The traditional green tunic is somewhere else in the game, they're just showing off how you can dye particularly clothing.

Atrarock

Heavy light flooded across the landscape, cloaking everything in deep crimson.
Makes me think of Dead Rising, the whole 7pm/zombies getting crazier at night thing. Only this time, this come back to life.

But are the enemies more deadly at night for Breath of the wild?

C5aliicWcAI2van.jpg

The extra rune is a camera, which probably sends out a drone to take pics:
And I'm just now noticing the master sword symbol on that champion shirt.

Forkball

Thus far, nothing of credibility has been leaked in regards to the story. Aonuma does confirm that it takes place after OoT, but that is fairly obvious. The Downfall timeline seems the most likely to me, but I think it could easily take place after the last game in any timeline, or be a fourth branch from OoT.

Top Bottom