• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sell me on Twin Peaks?

gabbo

For me, this new season seems more interesting, maybe I'm in the minority?

One of the appealing things about Twin Peaks is that there's really no other show on TV like it. However, this makes it divisive.

The new season has a completely new playground to explore, where as season2 still had Laura's killer and
Coop being attacked
to deal with. Also, ABC producers coming down hard, whereas Lynch is being given free reign on cable.

zethren

Banned
For me, this new season seems more interesting, maybe I'm in the minority?

One of the appealing things about Twin Peaks is that there's really no other show on TV like it. However, this makes it divisive.

It's still too early for a clear verdict on the new season, but overall I've seen pretty positive reactions from people familiar with Lynch's work. The first few episodes definitely feel different from the vibe of the original, but still hit similar notes and it's a joy seeing the characters return in ways that feel more substantial than simple reunions other shows might falter in.

Personally I'm in love with the new season as a beast all its own, and can't wait to see how it ends.

I think you may have nailed it. I remember loving Lost until it jumoed the shark. I probably was just expecting too much of the mystical and wasn't expecting the stark 'poking fun at soap operas' aspect of the show.

I admittedly havent seen ANY of the creator's other works, that I know of. Maybe I'll give Blue Velvet ago. Thanks everyone!

Honestly, you'd probably enjoy the new season. The melodrama is gone, the strangeness ramped up significantly. It's awesome!

cyba89

Watch it for Gordon Cole. He's the best.

__gordon.jpg

CARSICK!

Airola

You need to see the series so that you would eventually want to see the movie so that you would eventually see this guy:

MZbhCwZ.jpg

How old are you? Depending on the answer, that could explain why you're befuddled by the slow pacing.

1989 was a different time, and well-directed drama used pauses. Then the "MTV generation" grew up, and brought their short attention span to drama.

Since several people have asked, I'm 38. I don't think my age is really a factor so much though. I've known people of all ages with extremely varying tastes. It seems this particular style just isn't for me.

I'm gonna be real for a sec: I feel like Twin Peaks fandom honestly boils down to making excuses for why the show is the way it is. I watched the first two or three episodes of the show a few years back and I just found it absolutely maddening. Sharing my feelings with a friend who is a massive fan, all I got was, "Well, it's supposed to be campy. That's just the way it is."

Like, fine... if that's the show you want to enjoy, go for it. But you've gotta realize how hard it is to get the average person to jump in on that.

I'm gonna be real for a sec: I feel like Twin Peaks fandom honestly boils down to making excuses for why the show is the way it is. I watched the first two or three episodes of the show a few years back and I just found it absolutely maddening. Sharing my feelings with a friend who is a massive fan, all I got was, "Well, it's supposed to be campy. That's just the way it is."

Like, fine... if that's the show you want to enjoy, go for it. But you've gotta realize how hard it is to get the average person to jump in on that.

A stylistic choice isn't an excuse. There isn't just one way to act or shoot a scene. Twin Peaks takes on a lot of different styles to convey a mood and atmosphere. That's what makes it unique. That's why certain people are obsessed with it. And it's also why many people are turned off. But no one is "making excuses". Fans are explaining why they like it.

Why should it conform to what the average person wants? I don't think fans care about that. Your friend might want you to like it because they feel it represents an aspect of them. You rejecting it feels like you rejecting them.

Dan-o

I love the show, and I agree.
I think it's fine for people not to get into it.

I love it, but it's not a good jumping-off point for Lynch's work.
If I enjoyed Riverdale should I watch Twin Peaks?
Watch Lost Highway and Blue Velvet. If you can enjoy both, then TP might be up your alley. More so Blue Velvet in terms of the 'style' of 80's Lynch.

robotrock

Banned
Watch Lost Highway and Blue Velvet. If you can enjoy both, then TP might be up your alley. More so Blue Velvet in terms of the 'style' of 80's Lynch.

What if he just watched the first few episodes of Twin Peaks instead of watching those two movies?

effzee

I just worked on a new movie she's in, and holy shit she did not age well. 😓 Guess it didn't help that she was older than her character was, but she's 52 now and looks like she's 65.

The women on the show are very beautiful. The girl who plays/played Shelly Johnson is out of this world cute.

With that said I am on Ep 11 of Season 2 and I just am losing interest in the series. I guess I was never that hooked, to begin with, but decided to watch after the hype here and with season 3 coming up.

Maybe cause it is old and newer shows have changed perspective but none of it really works for me.

:(

robotrock

Banned
The women on the show are very beautiful. The girl who plays/played Shelly Johnson is out of this world cute.

With that said I am on Ep 11 of Season 2 and I just am losing interest in the series. I guess I was never that hooked, to begin with, but decided to watch after the hype here and with season 3 coming up.

Maybe cause it is old and newer shows have changed perspective but none of it really works for me.

Episode 11, you say?

CLRxpsvUYAATupW.jpg

I'm struggling to grasp why the show is such a phenomenon. Seriously, did I just not watch far enough??

people did not fall in love with Twin Peaks because they watched season 3 with no context in 2017. you need to watch the pilot or the first episode of the show. watching half of an episode from season 3 is a shitty way to get into something. you may as well watch "2010" and call Stanley Kubrick a fraud for making such a lame series.

Twin Peaks is not for everyone. you do not need to be "sold" on the show (rmde on this). watch the pilot. it is the most tightly constructed, mainstream, successful distillation of the TP formula, introducing all important characters and the central mystery in 90 mins. maybe you will think it is boring. fine. some people find 2001 to be boring. that's ok. everyone has an opinion. you don't have to like everything. if you can't sit through the hour and a half of the pilot then you don't have the attention span for Lynch's work.

also Twin Peaks is not 'campy" like Sharknado (are you fucking kidding me comparing it to this trash?) or The Room (seriously???). not sure what articles you are reading but they are shit. Twin Peaks is not "so bad it is good". watch Best of the Worst for that.

Dan-o

What if he just watched the first few episodes of Twin Peaks instead of watching those two movies?

I mean, if you're on-board with the style after 3 episodes, absolutely. I just think it's hard to convince people to stick with it if they're not feeling the pilot.

I'm having a conversation with another Lynch fan and we seem to agree...
Straight Story is Lynch at his most accessible. But it doesn't feel like much of a Lynch film.
Eraserhead and Inland Empire are "the most Lynch" but super inaccessible for newcomers.

Blue Velvet is probably the perfect balance of accessible and Lynchian, but not necessarily the best first foray into Lynch because of the 80's Lynchian melodrama that it shares with Twin Peaks. "modern" audiences seem to be turned off by that, for the most part.

I say Lost Highway because it's the perfect mix of accessible with Lynch-feel, without the melodrama (and has a killer soundtrack, to boot)

So yeah... I say Lost Highway & Blue Velvet first and foremost. Those are the best prep for diving into Twin Peaks / Lynch in general. I'd follow those with Eraserhead and Mulholland Drive, because the former is "the most Lynch" and good prep for Red Room / Black Lodge type madness, and the latter is Lynch's masterpiece but still kind of inaccessible due to length and general weirdness.

(this may be contrary to one of my earlier posts, but I've thought about it more today! LOL)

and to be clear... TP pilot + 2 episodes is about 3 hours of your time. If you're not feeling that style in the pilot, getting through those two episodes to get to the payoff can be quite a chore. I recommend Lost Highway and Blue Velvet because they are each self-contained and compelling unto themselves. LH in particular is under-appreciated, I think. :)

Mulholland Drive is actually is the best entry point for Lynch. Just tell someone it's a weird movie going in. It's fairly straightforward for the first 70 or so minutes. But weird enough that you can tell it's only getting weirder as it goes along. Plus when the film flips it's not hard to figure out how it relates to other part of the film.

Naomi Watts is of course exceptional in the film and that helps a lot.

The style is really compelling. The film looks gorgeous. Great music and it has some really funny scenes.

OP is completely misled by the articles they are reading. its really disheartening to think people's first experience with this will be through some pop culture idiot who compares it to a sci fi channel cash cow.

Lynch is closer to experimental film and art school stuff. watch Maya Deren. watch Jodorowsky. watch Stan Brackhage. educate yourself on the language of experimental film.

it sounds like the articles OP has read were written by people that don't know what they are talking about. no real film or art history background, just slotting it into a brain dead TOP TEN REASONS blog format. the blind leading the blind.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member

While you're in the middle of a very pior and honestly skippable stretch of episodes, if nothing has worked for you so far then there's no real point continuing.

For me and a lot of fans season 2 episode 7 stands at the peak of telrvision.

Shearie

Having never seen an episode of Twin Peaks, I just watched the Pilot episode for the first time last night and I was intrigued and amused pretty early when the secretary of the police department was describing to the sheriff what phone she put a call through. I love fun quirky characters and weird humor, so when Special Agent Dale was introduced, I was completely sold on the show. I was dying at the part when Dale was asking the sheriff about various people in the town and he says "Who's the lady with the log?" and the sheriff responds "We call her log lady.".

Anyone play or watch the game Deadly Premonition? I watched Giant Bomb play through the whole game years ago and now I understand that it's a big homage to Twin Peaks, something that I didn't know at the time.

Big Nikus

people did not fall in love with Twin Peaks because they watched season 3 with no context in 2017. you need to watch the pilot or the first episode of the show. watching half of an episode from season 3 is a shitty way to get into something. you may as well watch "2010" and call Stanley Kubrick a fraud for making such a lame series.

Twin Peaks is not for everyone. you do not need to be "sold" on the show (rmde on this). watch the pilot. it is the most tightly constructed, mainstream, successful distillation of the TP formula, introducing all important characters and the central mystery in 90 mins. maybe you will think it is boring. fine. some people find 2001 to be boring. that's ok. everyone has an opinion. you don't have to like everything. if you can't sit through the hour and a half of the pilot then you don't have the attention span for Lynch's work.

also Twin Peaks is not 'campy" like Sharknado (are you fucking kidding me comparing it to this trash?) or The Room (seriously???). not sure what articles you are reading but they are shit. Twin Peaks is not "so bad it is good". watch Best of the Worst for that.

OP is completely misled by the articles they are reading. its really disheartening to think people's first experience with this will be through some pop culture idiot who compares it to a sci fi channel cash cow.

Lynch is closer to experimental film and art school stuff. watch Maya Deren. watch Jodorowsky. watch Stan Brackhage. educate yourself on the language of experimental film.

it sounds like the articles OP has read were written by people that don't know what they are talking about. no real film or art history background, just slotting it into a brain dead TOP TEN REASONS blog format. the blind leading the blind.

+1000

Having never seen an episode of Twin Peaks, I just watched the Pilot episode for the first time last night and I was intrigued and amused pretty early when the secretary of the police department was describing to the sheriff what phone she put a call through. I love fun quirky characters and weird humor, so when Special Agent Dale was introduced, I was completely sold on the show. I was dying at the part when Dale was asking the sheriff about various people in the town and he says "Who's the lady with the log?" and the sheriff responds "We call her log lady.".

Anyone play or watch the game Deadly Premonition? I watched Giant Bomb play through the whole game years ago and now I understand that it's a big homage to Twin Peaks, something that I didn't know at the time.

Yeah Deadly Premonition may be the best Twin Peaks inspired game, along with Alan Wake imo. Alan Wake takes palce around "Mirror Peak" :p

Rixxan

Just chiming in here

Was enticed to start this because of word of mouth plus now the one of its kind 25 years later revival

Through four episodes I was regretting my decision, just didn't connect with me. Suddenly though, without noticing it, it sank its teeth into me and I started to see the forest through the Douglas firs

I'm now on s2e11 (shit territory)

But up until now I'm glad I stuck with it - gonna tough it out through these and then watch the movie

AniHawk

just finished my first watch of the show. didn't really like season 1, and it took a little bit to realize it was doing a bit of subversion on the 80s style of primetime soaps.

i think my favorite parts are as the mystery is being solved. all the supernatural elements are intriguing and terrifying. now that i've seen the bob-approaching-maddy scene in context, it's a lot more horrifying.
and maddy's murder is as well. the entire scene is unsettling and everything around the mystery up until leland's death is exciting.

but the rest of season 2 is just bad. some good ideas sure, but a lot of decisions that felt like you would make if you were trying to get fired. it makes episode 29 stand out way more in how good-looking and coherent it is. it deals with my favorite subject matter of the show too, which makes it easier to watch.

fire walk with me is next and i have a feeling from what i know about it that it will be more up my alley than the show.

Finished up watching the second season last night. Yeah it was super rough at times, but my god if that finale wasn't the best thing I've watched in a long time. Gonna watch Fire Walk With Me tonight and then hopefully knock out the first four episodes of the new stuff Saturday.

Dalek

Finished up watching the second season last night. Yeah it was super rough at times, but my god if that finale wasn't the best thing I've watched in a long time. Gonna watch Fire Walk With Me tonight and then hopefully knock out the first four episodes of the new stuff Saturday.

I'm rewatching the second season as well-I don't remember most of this, but man it gets rough at some times. It just turns into a bad soap opera for most of the characters.

Top Bottom