• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2017 Offseason: We're Not a Football School Anyway

Less than two weeks away and still nothing concrete on QBs. Position grades by various sites unfavorable; lots of stuff about miscommunication from Zaire. Meanwhile, Del Rio is healthy but it's unreasonable to expect him to be vastly improved over last year. Maybe he won't be better at all. Franks isn't mentioned as much.

I hope this isn't a prediction of the tone of this game. If we have to sit a QB for being incompetent and watch his replacement eat shit just as bad, we could be looking at a potential thumping by a squad returning fewest guys in FBS. This fan-base will go nuts lol.

Lunar15

Less than two weeks away and still nothing concrete on QBs. Position grades by various sites unfavorable; lots of stuff about miscommunication from Zaire. Meanwhile, Del Rio is healthy but it's unreasonable to expect him to be vastly improved over last year. Maybe he won't be better at all. Franks isn't mentioned as much.

I hope this isn't a prediction of the tone of this game. If we have to sit a QB for being incompetent and watch his replacement eat shit just as bad, we could be looking at a potential thumping by a squad returning fewest guys in FBS. This fan-base will go nuts lol.

I'm expecting another 8-4 season, give or take one game. Next year's when our crop is in and it's really going to matter for McElwain.

El_Chino

I'm expecting another 8-4 season, give or take one game. Next year's when our crop is in and it's really going to matter for McElwain.
Franks will start is my prediction.

9-3 or 10-2 is my expectation for the season.

I'd think anything less than 9-3 would be considered disappointing this year for Florida. Losing the Michigan game wouldn't be horrible (y'all really should expect to win, though. If you're ever gonna get Harbaugh, now's the time), but getting anything less than second in the East would be...weird.

Maybe y'all's defense is just that good? *shrug*

bachikarn

You can't really take anything the Gator sites say seriously right now. They know nothing. They get to see like a 5 minute portion in the beginning of practice. Any of their rankings is based on that and 'sources.' Not saying we are going to be amazing or anything, but they bring almost 0 information to the table.

You can't really take anything the Gator sites say seriously right now. They know nothing. They get to see like a 5 minute portion in the beginning of practice. Any of their rankings is based on that and 'sources.' Not saying we are going to be amazing or anything, but they bring almost 0 information to the table.

Sure but I think the vagueness from McElwain speaks to it as well, no pun intended.

Of course there's the element of keeping Michigan guessing but unless Zaire and Del Rio are both killing it, and there's no indication of that, then you should have a clear front-runner at this point and if you don't, that's worrying.

Taking into account the inevitable first-game mistakes, I just don't have a great feeling about what we'll see offensively against a very young and straight-forward defense. After the last few years I'm sort of resigned to the "prove me wrong" approach in that respect.

Send podcast questions to podcast@the-cog.com. We record tonight.

7547839.JPG

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Which College Football Teams Are Always Overrated in August?

In addition to Notre Dame, that is.

Over the past two decades, Florida, Florida State, Notre Dame, Penn State and Texas have fallen from their preseason ranking by season’s end with greater frequency than every other program in the nation. From the first AP poll to the last, each of the five teams has underperformed its preseason ranking in 14 of the past 20 seasons, or 70 percent of the time. LSU, Nebraska and Ohio State are right behind, having underperformed expectations 65 percent of the time.For purposes of this analysis, if a team received votes in the preseason poll but did not receive any votes in the final poll, they are said to have underperformed their preseason ranking, and vice-versa.

Which College Football Teams Are Always Overrated in August?

In addition to Notre Dame, that is.

I knew Texas would be near the top of the overrated list. And hey once again our team coming off 3 consecutive losing seasons is ranked pre-season. I would bet on us finishing well outside the top 25 at the end of the season with a record of 7-5

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
If any of y'all are itching for college football, any college football, and can't wait till Saturday, there are actually five NAIA games kicking off tomorrow evening. I made a post over at r/CFB about it and I know these threads are rightfully FBS focused, but thought a person or two here might be interested too.

El_Chino

Following up on what I said earlier:

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ttled-qb-coach-jim-mcelwain-play-three-opener

McElwain on QBs vs Michigan:

Now I understand a couple playing in the sense we throw Zaire in for some designed runs but this isn't exactly a resounding endorsement of the QB position.
Guarantee he's just not showing his cards to Michigan.

From the sound of how the practices are going, I wouldn't be surprised to see Del Río go out first, then put in Franks if Del Rio isn't doing well. Zaire for his legs.

If any of y'all are itching for college football, any college football, and can't wait till Saturday, there are actually five NAIA games kicking off tomorrow evening. I made a post over at r/CFB about it and I know these threads are rightfully FBS focused, but thought a person or two here might be interested too.

Bettttt.

Following up on what I said earlier:

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ttled-qb-coach-jim-mcelwain-play-three-opener

McElwain on QBs vs Michigan:

Now I understand a couple playing in the sense we throw Zaire in for some designed runs but this isn't exactly a resounding endorsement of the QB position.

It might just be coach speak.

Saban said they were deciding between Bateman and Barnett to start v. USC last year. Which wasn't a lie, just misleading given what happened (which you just know was the idea). Why tip off your opponent? To give the media a clear answer? No need to panic.

Yet.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Bettttt.

It might just be coach speak.

Saban said they were deciding between Bateman and Barnett to start v. USC last year. Which wasn't a lie, just misleading given what happened (which you just know was the idea). Why tip off your opponent? To give the media a clear answer? No need to panic.

Yet.

We should let you be on the podcast, you probably kept up with fall practice more than I did.

Guarantee he's just not showing his cards to Michigan.

From the sound of how the practices are going, I wouldn't be surprised to see Del Río go out first, then put in Franks if Del Rio isn't doing well. Zaire for his legs.

Ok how long have we been saying that with respect to not announcing a QB? That we're just "not showing our cards"? I just don't buy it after years of proving that it was because we don't have any outstanding QBs.

And there's a reason other big programs don't do this.

andycapps

Ok how long have we been saying that with respect to not announcing a QB? That we're just "not showing our cards"? I just don't buy it after years of proving that it was because we don't have any outstanding QBs.

If you've got 2-3 QB's that are all pretty much even, you don't have one good one. At least that's what the conventional wisdom is.

Preseason pessimism is usually more accurate than rose colored glasses. "Everyone is bigger and faster, everyone is buying in, all of our goals in front of us, etc"

cdyhybrid

If you've got 2-3 QB's that are all pretty much even, you don't have one good one. At least that's what the conventional wisdom is.

Preseason pessimism is usually more accurate than rose colored glasses. "Everyone is bigger and faster, everyone is buying in, all of our goals in front of us, etc"
X is in the best shape of his life

Alabama did it a season ago.

Y'all aren't Alabama and Florida's recent history here is sketchy, true. But this happens, especially when you've got a marquee opponent right out the gate. I doubt he's completely clueless as to who the guy is (or will end up being), but again, why volunteer that information now?

andycapps

Florida with another two players arrested for marijuana possession. One caveat, there's a repeat offender as one is already suspended for the credit card fraud. The other was busted for marijuana possession while on a recruiting trip to Ohio State.

Miller is a freshman outside linebacker who was already suspended for the team's opener against Michigan after his involvement in a scheme involving seven players who used university issued credit cards to buy electronics and other items, then sell them.

Robinson is a highly touted freshman wide receiver. He previously was cited with marijuana possession during his official visit to Ohio State.

We can talk about how Hurts is transferring to Louisville after getting benched for Tua instead if you'd like :3

Rather talk about how him throwing for less than 100 yards was still more than enough to blow out your squad in a playoff game :)

We open against Louisville next season, I wonder if he'd be allowed to transfer there?

cdyhybrid

Rather talk about how him throwing for less than 100 yards was still more than enough to blow out your squad in a playoff game :)

We open against Louisville next season, I wonder if he'd be allowed to transfer there?
You could have put Harvey Updyke at QB and won with that front 7

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Heres the best I could do on survey monkeys free verison, kept trying to make me pay money for actual good features:

QUOTE TO REVEAL LINK

below link to remind you whos in which division:

http://prwolfe.bol.ucla.edu/cfootball/conferences.htm

Let me know if something looks off on it

You've been randomly mumbling about this on the podcast chat, but what exactly are you trying to do? You can't get my credit card bills, man.

Top Bottom