• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 6 DEMO VER. Thread: Capcom's final chance for redemption

bryanee

Awful screen tearing when my console is set to 1080p which was the same with RE5. However when set to 720p its not as bad but still present.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Screen tearing is one of the worst cases I've seen. I realize this is in development but this is nauseating.

Characters look great but the shadows need a lot of work for a game that will have this much darkness.

Camera is REALLY jerky.

Yikes, pretty much all of the negatives are things that bug me to no end in shooters (weird aiming, bad feeling weapons, bad enemy reactions, bad camera), and all the positives are stuff I don't care about (cool melee, rolling around on your back, errr....what else?)

Not sounding good to me.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Surprised that no one made the obvious Capcom joke with the thread title typo. :lol

A few things I have done messing around. I ended up meleeing the Untanak with Jake. He has like a quick side dodge so you can sort of circle him, takes forever. I did a knife only run with Chris, so easy, he is a powerhouse without guns.

I have noticed that there are counters, every once and a while an enemy was about to attack and I dont even see it but an open pops up to press attack well I am already attacking so it goes into this counter attack where he grabs the enemies punch and stabs them in the stomach. As Helen I once grabbed a pipe that a zombie was swinging at me and took it from him then hit him with it. There is a bunch of cool shit like that.

I found all three blue emblems and the treasure in Jake's level. Wonder if there are anymore secrets.

D-Stubbs

Only played Leon's so far. I don't know, it's got a good atmosphere but I'm not liking how this game controls. It gets annoying how Leon has to walk in some instances. The shooting feels off at times as well. I'll probably check on the other two later to see how they are.

Dont forget to use the quick fire the two triggers at the same time, it basically acts as a quick lock on so you will auto face the closest enemy. I know a lot of times you cant see shit but this orients you real fast, same with diving. Dive dive dive.

Buggy Loop

Where is the code? did it come from inside dragon dogma's case on a separate sheet than the manual? I dont have it..

GOOD GOD THE CAMERA IS WAY TOO CLOSE CANT SEE SHIT CAPTAIN

Other than that, sliding is fun, Jake's boss level with Nemesis is tense because he climbs up on the platforms even if it's a simple pattern of leading him to red barrels.

I mostly just went on knife (Chris) or hand-to-hand (Jake) runs, avoided Leon's level because of the negative impressions here :D

When I shoot someone in the head, why do I hear glass shattering? LOL

GOOD GOD THE CAMERA IS WAY TOO CLOSE CANT SEE SHIT CAPTAIN

Other than that, sliding is fun, Jake's boss level with Nemesis is tense because he climbs up on the platforms even if it's a simple pattern of leading him to red barrels.

I mostly just went on knife (Chris) or hand-to-hand (Jake) runs, avoided Leon's level because of the negative impressions here :D

When I shoot someone in the head, why do I hear glass shattering? LOL

It's the mask the J'avo wear breaking, I think

vic2020

Neo Member
RE4 is my favorite game and I really enjoyed playing thru RE5 in co-op but reading the impressions I have no idea what to think for re6

bumpkin

Just plugged in my USB drive and ran the configuration tool on my 360 to prep it for use. It gave me some sort of message afterwards about it not being up to "specifications" and that its speed could be an issue. My flash drive is an 8GB Sandisk Cruzer. Should I care about that message?

Downloading the RAR now... Have many hours left to finish (~5) unless the bit rate picks up.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This is all wrong. I really don't like this. I don't feel like I'm in control of anything. RE4 and 5 are all about control-- crowd control, distance control, and pinpoint accuracy. This game just feels like chaos. I feel like I tons of shit is just going down in Chris' scenario. I have no idea what they're even shooting at.

Leon and Jake were both enjoyable...even if minimally interactive...but, damn, Chris' scenario was so bad. So, so bad. The controls are janky, the camera is too close, it's all just crap. Flush it.

i'm really worried that you can melee at any time. RE4 and 5 have a certain flow to them with melee being a cherry on the bullet sundae. This is just...mash RT.

Damn this demo needed difficulty modes, this is so easy. I can only imagine this game when you actually have to pay attention. Its sooo good. Played for about 6 hours already.

D-Stubbs

Played through Jake's part, I actually like him more than I thought I would. He's starting to grow on me. The enemy you fight in his mission looks cool too. Hopefully this game has some good boss designs like this one.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Terrible Camera when aiming.
Too dark and the camera doesnt help as it should
The aiming has an epic delay and really clunky
The movements are slow
Too much screen tearing
The enemies at times don't react at all to the shots
Too much hand holding

I didnt like the demo at all. :(

RedSwirl

I don't know man. There's not really a lot here. I couldn't play all the way to the end of Chris' scenario, but there wasn't really a whole lot to go off of in the other ones, especially Leon's game. That was literally 90 percent cinematic walkthrough punctuated by maybe a minute of combat.

Other than the crappy inventory system and the forced co-op, the main reason RE5 couldn't top 4 was because its level design just wasn't as imaginative. That game had a lot of variety and more than its fair share of watercooler moments. Western developers have really pushed forward in the desire to create watercooler moments but they end up doing so artificially with situations that control the player's experience to an extreme level. Japanese devs like Capcom seem to be copying this. I think what they don't realize is that RE4's watercooler moments - the set pieces that made it, were almost entirely made up of good level design. They tried to control the players' environment, not the players themselves.

I see scant traces of that in this RE6 demo, especially if you're playing co-op, but it's also looking like it'll be overshadowed by Capcom's desire for "cinematic gameplay" to try to be just like western guys.

PSYGN

Much of GAF disliked RE5 (or at least I saw more hate than praise whenever RE5 was brought up)... but it still stands as one of my favorite games this gen. That said, I did play through campaign with my brother rather than having to play with a crippled AI of a partner, or so I've heard. I look forward to trying out the RE6 game to see whether or not it's as bad as some of you guys are saying.

I don't know man. There's not really a lot here. I couldn't play all the way to the end of Chris' scenario, but there wasn't really a whole lot to go off of in the other ones, especially Leon's game. That was literally 90 percent cinematic walkthrough punctuated by maybe a minute of combat.

Other than the crappy inventory system and the forced co-op, the main reason RE5 couldn't top 4 was because its level design just wasn't as imaginative. That game had a lot of variety and more than its fair share of watercooler moments. Western developers have really pushed forward in the desire to create watercooler moments but they end up doing so artificially with situations that control the player's experience to an extreme level. Japanese devs like Capcom seem to be copying this. I think what they don't realize is that RE4's watercooler moments - the set pieces that made it, were almost entirely made up of good level design. They tried to control the players' environment, not the players themselves.

I see scant traces of that in this RE6 demo, especially if you're playing co-op, but it's also looking like it'll be overshadowed by Capcom's desire for "cinematic gameplay" to try to be just like western guys.
Fantastic analisis and well articulated. The last great and influential action game was RE4 and so far it hasn't been surpassed by anything. Gears and Uncharted have more fine tuned shoot up mechanics but as for scenario design they pale in comparison. That game had the player hooked for 20 hours using the same control and shooting systems yet it retained "freshness" trough out the campaing. That's a collosal achievement not many games across videogame history can match.

Hypron

Much of GAF disliked RE5 (or at least I saw more hate than praise whenever RE5 was brought up)... but it still stands as one of my favorite games this gen. That said, I did play through campaign with my brother rather than having to play with a crippled AI of a partner, or so I've heard. I look forward to trying out the RE6 game to see whether or not it's as bad as some of you guys are saying.

To be honest it wasn't bad at all. I played through the game 5 times by myself and the only time where the AI partner frustrated me was during the
Jill & Wesker
fight on the hardest difficulty, where it was very hard to keep it alive. Apart from that, I found it superior to what I could find in most other games I've played.

bryanee

I wish there was more of the Leon stuff. They should of cut the Chris and Jake stuff and put in a longer leon demo. I love the atmosphere in that and I want more of it.

Anth0ny

I see this thread is filled with the same hyperbole that filled the RE5 ones. You people have no clue what you want. This demo is great. The game will be excellent just like the last one was. At least this is different, not just another 3rd person shooter that so many of you want it to be.

So much wrong with this post. Especially that last sentence. Come on son.

i really enjoyed the Leon scenario. the Chris scenario wasn't so bad, and the Jake scenario was good... but yeah... damn this camera. it's something they really need to fix before the final version. it's maddening. there's a lot of good potential here... and the camera is way too constant an annoyance.

fix it capcom. FIX IT.

braves01

Banned
This is all wrong. I really don't like this. I don't feel like I'm in control of anything. RE4 and 5 are all about control-- crowd control, distance control, and pinpoint accuracy. This game just feels like chaos.I feel like I tons of shit is just going down in Chris' scenario. I have no idea what they're even shooting at.

Leon and Jake were both enjoyable...even if minimally interactive...but, damn, Chris' scenario was so bad. So, so bad. The controls are janky, the camera is too close, it's all just crap. Flush it.

i'm really worried that you can melee at any time. RE4 and 5 have a certain flow to them with melee being a cherry on the bullet sundae. This is just...mash RT.

The feeling of chaos I got from seeing some of the E3 stuff is exactly what kept me interested in this game, although that's obviously not what you mean here. Details like the car alarm going off in Leon's scenario and the fires and smoke in the background during Chris' scenario, not to mention the faster, expanded move set, really contribute to the feel of outbreak and chaos the game is trying evoke. I'm not a classic RE fan though, having only played and enjoyed both 4 and 5, so I can understand why people don't want that.

Like you said, it's a shame the game (or demo at least) has so many problems. As silly as it sounds, the zombies don't seem very responsive and lack personality. The camera jumps around like crazy and never seems to be where it should. Animations are goofy (moving forward while on your back is bizarre). And I still don't know what to think about Capcom moving the release up so far. I'm a little worried they're gonna ship a stinker just to get it out the door.

Nizz

Wow, these impressions sound terrible. To think they moved the date up on this. Things could improve in time for October hopefully. But I have a feeling it's a little rushed.

Scary thing is that the 360 version is probably the lead platform on this? If this version's in bad shape I shudder to think the shape the PS3 version is in...

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Is there a workaround to get this demo without having Dragon's Dogma?

I have zero interest in DD and I struggle to understand the logic of not letting possible customers play a demo for a game. Capcom makes so much sense.

blixa

Banned
fantastic demo. looks great, plays great, controls great.
ustanak design is nice with the mechanical touches, same with the outside location (going by earlier trailers).
some of it might be percieved as bland and uninspiring though, such as the tall oaks corridors, but there is only so much one can do with that. personally didn't dislike it.
screen tearing was noticeable, but not bothersome at all.

ultimately it's just a very small fraction of an unfinished game, we haven't seen close to everything. corridors be damned, this game will hopefully show some brilliant stuff in the final product. don't see how this is any worse than call of duty, halo, gears, etc. that's subjective, so no flaming, please.

*the post of preaching the same gospel*

Margalis

Banned
That damn screen tearing is everywhere! This is worse than the Xbox 360 version of RE5. I can live with jaggies and pop-in but screen tearing can ruin a game for me. I absolutely hate this!

I hope you don't hate screen tearing too much because at E3 nearly every 360 game on display had it in spades!

CTE

I have zero interest in DD and I struggle to understand the logic of not letting possible customers play a demo for a game. Capcom makes so much sense.

You can play it for free. Just wait until the official demo release. This is a bonus for people who bought DD.

Ninjimbo

I'm feeling better after reading Wesker's impressions. Maybe the game enters the kind of gameplay groove you just don't get from playing a demo.

It's too bad Capcom released this demo the way they did. I really want to play it for myself.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=39473954#post39473954

Then once you've unzipped it, have a usb stick formatted by your xbox 360 in "Storage" settings to give space for the demo, put the demo files labelled as "Content" folder now on to your usb through Horizon. Then usb into 360, voila! Sounds complicated, but once you do it, you'll get it.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I'm having trouble burning the Demo. I've tried ImgBurn and Windows stock burning program. Does the disc label need to be anything specific? I've gotten RE6 Demo to show up in my list of games, but it won't start. It gives me a disc read error, basically.

I'm using DVD+R, if that makes a difference.

blixa

Banned
(moving forward while on your back is bizarre).

it might be 'bizarre', but most importantly.. fun. isn't that what matters?
people didn't want pure tank controls, now complain about this..
variation is good. sure, sometimes it can destroy too.
less is more they say, but no one is forcing you to use it.

Kinyou

Wow when I pressed that LB button... I felt fucking insulted.

Not only do they have the "go here" icon turned on in the default options, no, they dedicated a whole button for a "GO HERE; GO HERE; HHEEERREEE; GOOO HEREEE" screen. Jesus christ. And all that while the game looks super linear.

That button, that button is the pure essence of focus group testing bullshit.

Edit: Oh, and the auto running is simply annoying. It makes sense during the action scenes, but during the normal, slower scenes it bugs the hell out of me (let alone ruin the atmosphere). Not even Dead Space 3 made the jump to have Issac on auto run.

bumpkin

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=39473954#post39473954

Then once you've unzipped it, have a usb stick formatted by your xbox 360 in "Storage" settings to give space for the demo, put the demo files labelled as "Content" folder now on to your usb through Horizon. Then usb into 360, voila! Sounds complicated, but once you do it, you'll get it.
When I formatted it through the 360's storage tool, it created an Xbox360 folder and filled it with a bunch of "Data" files. I had no space to put the Content folder onto it.

Edit: Nevermind me... Didn't read between the lines about that Horizon program. What tab/option should I do it under?

feel

I'm having trouble burning the Demo. I've tried ImgBurn and Windows stock burning program. Does the disc label need to be anything specific? I've gotten RE6 Demo to show up in my list of games, but it won't start. It gives me a disc read error, basically.

I'm using DVD+R, if that makes a difference.
Are you creating the Content\0000000000000000 folders? Also make sure Content doesn't become the root folder, there should be a prompt about it when you're about to start the burn.

Top Bottom