• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS launches June 16

bman94

Game is looking better and better. Really thought they were going to give this around 2 months to breathe before Splatoon 2, but whatever. Hope Nintendo supports this well after launch like they did with Splatoon and Mario Maker. That's really going to determine the longevity of this game.

Mory Dunz

I just realized that the ARMS reveal trailer is at 2.6 million views, for reference Xenoblade 2 is at 1.7 million, while 1 2 Swich is at 1.8 million.

Who knows how many can translate into sales, but I think anything around 1 2 Switch sales should be considered a success for a new I.P.

I think it'll do over a million in NA LTD with no real issues. It's Japan and parts of Europe I dunno about. And ROTW.

Reaction is what? It seems like everyone thinks she's cool.

thirst?

It's moments that like that make me realize it's not too surprising that the industry is the way it is in terms of how females are represented. You get what you get.
If it was R. Mika from SV5 or w/e, then sure, have at it cause it's kinda the point. But even for this character? It felt weird.

I'm seeing a lot of buzz around ARMS that has been absent before.

So the Direct served its purpose.

It did. I was under the impression that this game was going to be a next-gen Wii Sports Boxing ...didn't expect anything nearly as deep as we saw today. Customizing "loadouts" with various arms and elemental effects are a really interesting concept.

Macka

I still have no idea how to feel about ARMS. I don't think it translates to gameplay demonstrations like this very well. It looks repetitive and extremely multiplayer focused, which doesn't really appeal to me at all. Was hoping for a demo.

FinalAres

I'm seeing a lot of buzz around ARMS that has been absent before.

So the Direct served its purpose.
Honestly I went from not giving two hoots about ARMS to wanting it day one. The Splatton video on the other hand did nothing for me.

Is this a new Nintendo IP? I must say since people complained Nintendo were being too safe and relying on the big names (around the time of 3D World) they really started rolling out some new ideas.

Maxinas

Honestly I went from not giving two hoots about ARMS to wanting it day one. The Splatton video on the other hand did nothing for me.

Is this a new Nintendo IP? I must say since people complained Nintendo were being too safe and relying on the big names (around the time of 3D World) they really started rolling out some new ideas.

Yeah it's a new IP. Nintendo has been churning out tons of new IPS before ARMS and Splatoon, they just didn't have the kind level of hype these two are getting. We had stuff like Wonderful 101, Code name steam, etc.

SalvaPot

I just love how creative they are with the "arms" springs, ribbons, chains, bandages, noodles. Wonder what else they can use as an extendable arm.

Fruit-Roll-Ups.jpg

Make it a Hawaiian or Brazillian style design to go with it.

thirst?

It's moments that like that make me realize it's not too surprising that the industry is the way it is in terms of how females are represented. You get what you get.
If it was R. Mika from SV5 or w/e, then sure, have at it cause it's kinda the point. But even for this character? It felt weird.

I see what you're getting at, but I don't think thirst has been the only reaction to Minmin. A lot of people here just seem to think she has a cool design. Like a noodle themed character is just really fun, right? And details like the noodle bowl hat really sell the character.

Personally I think Minmin's noodles + dragons theme is more interesting than the other characters, who by comparison feel a little generic. I think that's where a lot of the positive reaction to Minmin comes from.

Cerium

Its honestly amazing fucking Spring Man and Ribbon Girl are the cover characters when Min Min is so much stronger from a design perspective.

I think Spring Man and Ribbon Girl are meant to be the simpler, noob friendly characters.

Spring Man even has a comeback mechanic built in as part of his gimmick.

But yeah I'd nominate Min Min for Smash.

I think Spring Man and Ribbon Girl are meant to be the simpler, noob friendly characters.

Shoot, I probably should have clarified I meant aesthetic design.

From a gameplay perspective, I'm sure Spring Man and Ribbon Girl are going to the more balanced, newbie friendly characters.

Its just that aesthetically, Min Min is so much more nuanced and interesting. Neither Spring Man nor Ribbon Girl have any visual element anywhere near as clever as Min Min's ramen bowl beanie leading into her noodley hair

Like the other revealed characters aren't as well designed as Min Min either, but they don't have to appear on the cover to try sell the game

SalvaPot

Yep, Spring Man is Little Mac with spiral hair, while Ribbon Girl is Peach in cosplay, they are supposed to be the Ryu and Chun-Li of this game.

Min Min is by far the best design so far, everything about her is tasteful.

Shoot, I probably should have clarified I meant aesthetic design.

From a gameplay perspective, I'm sure Spring Man and Ribbon Girl are going to the more balanced, newbie friendly characters.

Its just that aesthetically, Min Min is so much more nuanced and interesting. Neither Spring Man nor Ribbon Girl have any visual element anywhere near as clever as Min Min's ramen bowl beanie leading into her noodley hair

Like the other revealed characters aren't as well designed as Min Min either, but they don't have to appear on the cover to try sell the game

The ARMS should be enough to peek random passerby interests, its a weird and clever concept from the get-go. But yeah, looking a bit more into it they seem a bit generic if it wasn't for the whirly appendages.

Game looks like so much fun, but I rarely ever play multi-player (even online) so I'm curious to learn what single player options this game will end up having.

Probably your standard "fight all the fighters" campaign, but I hope they'll do something like Punchout where you get to fight harder versions of the opponents.

Spring-Man and Ribbon Girl are supposed to be the basic, beginner-friendly characters. That much seems fairly evident.

So it should follow that their designs would be the most middle of the road and not fall too heavily under any specific trope. So it might be "boring", but that's what happens with characters deliberately made to be neutral.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
By that time it should already have reviews out there and plenty of information so we know exactly what the game is. They don't need to spend valuable time on it during E3 when all of the information is already known and we just want to play the game at that point.
game marketing doest stop just because the game is released

Speely

Banned
Min Min looks amazing.

This game looks to have a lot of depth. Beyond the very different movesets of the characters, having tons of different arms combinations AND elements involved...

Lots of potential for very diverse playstyles. I need it so badly. Can't wait to see more character reveals!

Accordion arms or bust.

I still feel like Nintendo's official "demo fights" don't do as good of a job of showing matches as much as some of the stuff I've seen from people playing in the preview events...

Time for some ARMS gifs!

32016822820_6f28a05045_o.gif

32016819980_8b5c0bc329_o.gif

32213306642_4668c2c0fe_o.gif

32817187555_7cc743827b_o.gif

Yeah, you're never going to get the full potential of what's possible from these shows vs community stuff. When I played it at PAX, just the wake up game with Ribbon Girl's fast fall/double jump or Mechanica's hover was soooo good. It definitely has a big learning curve, but once it clicks, it feels spot on. It'll be great to try it out on the controller and see if it really is better than motion.

I'll pull some gifs out of the recent footage and see if I can spot anything a bit more standout gameplay wise.

Evilmaus

I only got about half way through the video before work, and ideally I'd like to go on blackout for this game from now on, but does anyone know how focused this is on online multiplayer?

I'm hoping for a really strong single player experience, but we'll see.

Also, have Nintendo tinted this like Splatoon where it's very beginner friendly, but can get very in-depth if you want it to? I just don't have the time to get good at fighting games these days but then I don't want to get consistently crushed every time I go online.

Peterthumpa

So, no more characters I guess? The eShop page is now online and Min Min is there, but it all looks like final art and particularly I've never seen media from an eShop page being updated featuring different images or videos before a game's release.

Cerium

So, no more characters I guess? The eShop page is now online and Min Min is there, but it all looks like final art and particularly I've never seen media from an eShop page being updated featuring different images or videos before a game's release.

There are 4 unannounced characters in the OP. An apparent total of 10.

I'll pull some gifs out of the recent footage and see if I can spot anything a bit more standout gameplay wise.
Neat!

SalvaPot

Min Min looks amazing.

This game looks to have a lot of depth. Beyond the very different movesets of the characters, having tons of different arms combinations AND elements involved...

Lots of potential for very diverse playstyles. I need it so badly. Can't wait to see more character reveals!

Accordion arms or bust.

hqdefault.jpg

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
People could play against the AI at the January Switch event, so at the very least there will be some sort of standard arcade mode. I'm just hoping there's more than that.

Ah, I didn't know that. Although now thinking about it, it makes total sense. A standard arcade mode is good.

jdstorm

Banned
Ah, I didn't know that. Although now thinking about it, it makes total sense. A standard arcade mode is good.

The Nintendo Direct also contained evidence of a skill challenge mini game mode. Its likely an advanced training mode where the players learn skills doing mini games. Personally im hoping for a Miagi inspired car waxing or fence painting minigame. However as of right now its just a classic shooting gallery (targets pop up and you have to punch them as quickly as possible.)

Mutant

Got to say, the game looks pretty damn rad.

Don't know what team is working on it. But it feels like it came from the Splatoon people... Even though there's, well, Spla2oon on the way.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I liked pretty much all the characters shown until now and Minmin is a great addition to the roosters. I'm not decided yet on a favourite, though.

The Nintendo Direct also contained evidence of a skill challenge mini game mode. Its likely an advanced training mode where the players learn skills doing mini games. Hoping for a Miagi inspired car waxing or fence painting minigame.

Yes, I know. That started the discussion, when I asked if that target punching arcade mode is the single player.

lFOeG7V.gif

For 2v2 it definitely looks like it's using a "target switch" button to change opponent lock-on, plus it looks like there's items too as there was an area-based team healing drop at the end of the gif. That wire between the two characters is probably just identifying your team mate and relative position.

EDIT: That healing item might be for everyone vs activating it for your own team and you have to push the opponent out of the healing zone.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
And people were talking about Tracer's ass? Min Min puts her to shame. Forget arms, it's squat time.

Oh, and I totally called the yellow joycon, although I expected it to be accompanied by green. I need silver so I can have an Ultraman Switch.

Man Nintendo doesn't want to show much still lol. I like the 2 vs. 2 mode, but they're definitely holding out on more modes. I saw the 4 new characters.

I like the idea of one of them is a cowgirl and she has a rope for on arm and a horse for the other arm.

This game is looking better and better, can't wait to see more on the 2v2 mode. I love the chaos and TEAM combos in Smash 2v2's, so hopefully this can scratch that itch.

Damn, I initially dismissed this game as shovelware but this looks like it could be the next Splatoon if Nintendo plays their cards right.

jdstorm

Banned
I wonder if there's more than one standard arena type.

It appears so. They have shown 1 arena with Columns that can be used to hide behind. Another had trampolines and other things to bounce off. The most recent noodle girl stage had a bowl in the middle. That should act to push people together for close range fighting.

Top Bottom