• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ever Oasis |OT| Secret of ActRaiser in the Desert aka This Year's Other Egyptian ARPG

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Finished the demo and eh...

Concept is nice, and it seems like a rather pleasant adventure. The few rooms of a dungeon you explore were braindead and filled with camera transitions pointing out everything from a door opening to an obvious puzzle to solve which is always aggravating. Combat was simple and while it is nice to impart affinities to make use of companions, it felt wasted when everything dies before I can even suss out which of my party is the most efficient to attack.

Everything else was fine, from the music to the visuals to the progression cycle. Can sort of understand how it could hook players. Just not certain it did much to sell me, but clearly I don't think I am the target here.

It's in a cave in the Kalari Woodsea, bring someone with Pellet

I thought that might be it but there's another patch of leaver that need another skill to activate. I'm not sure what that skill is?

Edit: I just had to talk to the guy there.... Jesus I'm an idiot. I spent like, 3 hours farming because I skipped a dialogue box.

Ventara

YES! Just got my copy today! Glad I didn't read some impressions during the weekend as that would have made waiting harder. Seriously, Fantasy Life x Animal Crossing? Straight into my veins!!! lol Though tbf, I had a feeling and hope it would be something like that.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Beat the first major Boss, was pretty cool---very Zelda-esque.

I don't know if I wanna jump ahead with the plot to unlock more systems, or wait a bit and build up some Dewadems. :p

One of the hosts of The Polygon Show said she couldn't play Ever Oasis for more than 10 minutes without falling asleep. (paraphrasing) "Ever Oasis is a great game to play if you want to black out and wake up the next day"

Well, your first mistake was paying any attention to Polygon....

Poppy

i feel so bad when i run out of stock, first it was dried cactus for the snack shack and now its feathers for one of the cloth stores

im doing my best, townsfolk, im under a lot of stress!

also thank god the merchant in the lagora camp traded gator claws because i could not find any more than a single alligator guy and he never dropped me any claws. gotta get dem level 2 shops

I'm downoading the demo now, and I have a couple questions: how representative of the final game is the demo? And does anything transfer to the full game?

I'm downoading the demo now, and I have a couple questions: how representative of the final game is the demo? And does anything transfer to the full game?

Nothing transfers over. It gives you a good concept of the combat, shows you how to switch characters, and rather poorly explains how towns work. The opening hours of the game do a better job of explaining all the buildings and how that all meshes together.

But if you like the Demo you'll like the game, at least that's how it was for me.

TheMoon

Finished the demo and eh...

Concept is nice, and it seems like a rather pleasant adventure. The few rooms of a dungeon you explore were braindead and filled with camera transitions pointing out everything from a door opening to an obvious puzzle to solve which is always aggravating. Combat was simple and while it is nice to impart affinities to make use of companions, it felt wasted when everything dies before I can even suss out which of my party is the most efficient to attack.

Everything else was fine, from the music to the visuals to the progression cycle. Can sort of understand how it could hook players. Just not certain it did much to sell me, but clearly I don't think I am the target here.

The first time you go out in the actual game, the enemies are way harder because you're alone. Go out at night to challenge yourself even more. It points out everything in the demo because it's tutorializing you.

If you are visiting for the first time, you can't do that yet. If you're further on, you need a villager who
fires a crossbow

Thanks, I saw the thing that gave me that impression shortly after posing the question.

This game is oddly addicting. I like it. One of the better looking 3DS titles too.

For those playing the demo. It doesn't do the game justice and most likely may turn some off. This game is really fun with tons to do. Exploring, combat, town building, character recruitment and some farming to round it out. It's a must play fo anyone that enjoyed Fantasy Life.

Do you have to pay for each time you plant the same shop? Example being if I move someone to garden that previously had a shop do I have to pay to put the shop back in if I take them off gardening?

This game is oddly addicting. I like it. One of the better looking 3DS titles too.

Totally! There is a really great flow and coherence between the different aspects of gameplay that is just *right*. I'm never at a loss of anything to do, any time I finish one thing up, another opportunity open, but it's never overbearing or stressful. If I was to change just one thing, I would slow the day and night cycle just a bit. Another 10 minutes in a day would be nice, I would like to be able to put that aside to catch up on a shop resource I'm lacking for example, although
expeditions
are a good enough solution for this.

If I was to change just one thing, I would slow the day and night cycle just a bit. Another 10 minutes in a day would be nice, I would like to be able to put that aside to catch up on a shop resource I'm lacking for example, although
expeditions
are a good enough solution for this.

Agreed.

Watch Da Birdie

Man, I love the design of the Serkah---just got to use my first one and loved his voice sample.

So, are there long-term issues if a shop runs out of stock or do you simply lose out Dewadems till you stock it---like that progress bar doesn't unfill, does it?

I'm super stuck in
Tumblethorn Road
. Seems like I need to leave the area to change weapons, but it won't let me...

Edit: NVM, figured it out.

Does this have multiple save files? Me and my girlfriend would like to both start our own game.

Lol glad you guys have the patience just to pass the cartridge between each other, we both play in the evening and both wanted to play this, so I had to stump up for two copies!

I just went through the story sequence after finishing
the forbidden forest, was that the name?
This game is so good. I don't want to think I'm nearing the end section of the game or anything :( I'm going to mop up every last resident I can etc before pushing ahead haha

Taruranto

Town customization is kinda weak, too bad. I was hoping for something like My life as a King or Dark Cloud.

I hope it doesn't get too grindy later.

pronk420

I thought the demo was ok, but a bit boring because of the tutorials, but I love the combat system, the roll and light heavy attacks make it feel like there is actually skill involved and not just mashing. The demo also didn’t give a good feel of how your town builds up, in the game there is constantly something happening and various things to do.

The demo nearly put me off but after seeing the good reviews and because <3 Grezzo I picked it up, and super glad I did.

Town customization is kinda weak, too bad. I was hoping for something like My life as a King or Dark Cloud.

I hope it doesn't get too grindy later.

Bloom Booths are my least favorite mechanic of the game AND my least favorite visual element. The rest of the game is gorgeous.

wZdIjVn.jpg

de_reddy

Neo Member
I prefer a fixed camera like in Fantasy Life, it's the only thing that prevents me from really enjoying this game. I don't really see any reason to do it like this.

Ventara

I prefer a fixed camera like in Fantasy Life, it's the only thing that prevents me from really enjoying this game. I don't really see any reason to do it like this.

+1. The camera is a little too close for my liking. Pulling it back and a little overhead and making it a fixed camera would've been good.

Can anyone tell me where the entrance to the
Spiral Pit
is? I'm heading to the spot marked on my map, but I'm not finding anything. I feel like I must be missing something obvious.

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out immediately after asking.

Watch Da Birdie

Just got the upgrade that gave me Fast Travel all around the Oasis, sweet---was waiting for that.

Getting Digimon World: Next Order vibes here.

MicH

The residents are so great. They have so much personality and some even have special dialogue if you bring them to certain quests, even story ones. This game is just amazing, love everything about it

KingDirk

Is there a guide for finding all the slabs? Ready to delve into these labyrinths hard.

Also, is there really no way to send explorers to Wakuto Canyon?

atbigelow

The residents are so great. They have so much personality and some even have special dialogue if you bring them to certain quests, even story ones. This game is just amazing, love everything about it

I'm quite surprised by them. I was initially thinking they would just be randomly generated people. Very happy that isn't the case.

I've just barely started playing this, and I am liking it so far! I just barely got my Oasis to level 3, so I haven't played for very long, but I can see myself really enjoying this the more I delve into it!

MicH

Just beat the final boss. Took me 33 hours but I did quite a bit of resident quests.

It seems there are some travelers/residents aand merchants that only appear after you beat the final boss too.

Forward

it does seem like it makes you aqua gate an awful lot, wish i could just teleport party members in without needing to go through multiple loads

This. The Necropolis was a sheer slog, due to it. Sure, Tethu can equip a Wand.

But I also need a Boulder Breaker, a Spear Switch Puller, and Propeller Porter.

That is a minimum of 4 characters. God forbid I actually want to dig up those dirt piles for their specific mats. Because that makes it 5.

GeekyDad

can't stop playing this, what an awesome game, i recomment it to everyone.

I started it, but...hard to pick back up. Didn't get very far, really. Just met some blue fairy and then went off to talk to a few folks in what I'm guessing is my new oasis. I'm guessing it's just my gaming mood right now. Still coming off the heels of about 160 hours worth of Tactics Ogre.

Forward

I started it, but...hard to pick back up. Didn't get very far, really. Just met some blue fairy and then went off to talk to a few folks in what I'm guessing is my new oasis. I'm guessing it's just my gaming mood right now. Still coming off the heels of about 160 hours worth of Tactics Ogre.

I do wish that Tactics Ogre would get a VC release. It is in my top 3 "God I wish the 3DS had retained the DS's GBA slot" list. Actually, it tops that list, too, come to think of it.

Watch Da Birdie

Yeah, combat in this game isn't all that braindead---every enemy has their own patterns to learn and some of them (the armadillo, the bomb seeds) can give you trouble if you just charge in.

Also just unlocked in-game achievements, which I was hoping to see. Now I'm wondering if you ever get an in-game catalouge to keep track of synthesizing all the available gear?

One thing that sort of confuses me is how gardening works once you get the villagers, I'm kind of confused what will grow?

Juissi

Neo Member
I just played the demo and really liked the concept, but how easy full game exacly is? I'm imagening grinding resources, building town and adventuring is very fun, but I'm fearing I get bored since game feeled extremely easy. In my nightmares gameplay is just: walk to waypoint and on the way press attack and evade few times, enemies are not really dangerous.

XaosWolf

What confuses me is how gardening works once you get the villagers, I'm kind of confused what will grow?

They grow a bunch of stuff at once but its random what and how much they grow.

It shows a list and their speciality when you pick someone and I believe the speciality indicates which of their listed crops gets a boost to the amount they produce.

They're actually really fast at growing stuff too.

I just played the demo and really liked the concept, but how easy full game exacly is? I'm imagening grinding resources, building town and adventuring is very fun, but I'm fearing I get bored since game feeled extremely easy. In my nightmares gameplay is just: walk to waypoint and on the way press attack and evade few times, enemies are not really dangerous.

It's not hard at all. I've only died once and that was near the beginning. As you level up it becomes easier.

Still, I really like the game, lol.

Taruranto

The first dungeon was kinda nice. Nothing too fancy, but at least it wasn't the same room repeated over and over.

Now I have access with more party members with different abilities, switching members to gather stuff seems kinda of a pain, even if I can warp back and forth.

has anyone found the Drauk that allows you to hold fashion festivals???

Edit: I get so deep into churning out side quests I forget to just play through the game sometimes...

The first dungeon was kinda nice. Nothing too fancy, but at least it wasn't the same room repeated over and over.

Now I have access with more party members with different abilities, switching members to gather stuff seems kinda of a pain, even if I can warp back and forth.
You really don't have to do it that much. The dungeon info on the warp screen tells you what you will need for it, I've only had to use aqua gate to swap party members maybe 5 times in the 12 or so hours I've played, and only for the caves and such out in the field, not the dungeons thenselves. It's also extremely fast. Honestly I like that they give you the option to quickly swap characters, as well as revisit the town if you need to.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've really been enjoying this game so far the 7 or so hours I've played it this week, but I can totally see why a lot of reviewers are saying "it's not for everyone" or that it's not what they expected. Going in more or less blind, I thought the game would be an action-RPG with city-building elements. Instead I'm finding that the game is more and more a city-building game with action-RPG elements. I dig it.

I'm also glad to see that the game has a definite "end" and that the quests are pretty well defined. I like to know that I'm working towards an ultimate goal rather than the whole thing being totally open-ended.

Top Bottom