• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioware GM: Anthem will be Science Fantasy instead of Science Fiction

Doesn't surprise me. It's a lot easier to right Science-fantasy given that you can just hand wave all the plot-holes and disjointed happenings as space-magic.

Frankly, it's the right move for writers at Bioware; plausible and consistent is not their strength. (Certainly was the approach, and will continue to be for the writers working on Destiny).

I never heard the term science fantasy. Space opera is what I'm more used to. Nothing wrong with it though.

One of the main characteristics of "space opera" is that it takes place primarily or entirely in space. In theory, a science fantasy story might never leave a planet.

Raven117

I mean, if they thought mass effect was science fiction....

Regardless, good. Fantasy is simply easier for game developers to write and make compelling. A straight sci fiction would be boring to play and the geeks would rip it apart anyway.

Wait, Mass Effect was supposed to be grounded sci-fi?

I must've played them wrong, because they seem in keeping with stuff like SW or Halo.

Mass Effect explains EVERYTHING.

FTL tech for travel and communication to alien reproduction organs and matting preferences for genetic diversity...

Destiny (science fantasy) explains nothing. It gives fancy words for stuff and that's it. they never bother explain what is what and how works what. It's litteral space magic

FTL tech for travel and communication to alien reproduction organs and matting preferences for genetic diversity...

Destiny (science fantasy) explains nothing. It gives fancy words for stuff and that's it. they never bother explain what is what and how works what. It's litteral space magic

The Quantum communication for ryder and the IA is at Destiny levels of space magic

Ahhhh, so that's why the Anthem city looks so much like Rabanastre from FF XII.

Secretly an Ivalice game from the era of robot Worker-8.

If we are being fair they didn't have time to explain destiny

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'll wait for a magical realist shootermmo.

The Quantum communication for ryder and the IA is at Destiny levels of space magic

it doesn't mean it has to be believable or not deus ex machina level of broken.

it just mean they bothered explaining, detailing their tech.

Destiny doesn't justify anything. Its their choice, it works like star wars works : force, feel it, old jedi masters, etc... It has its lore but it doesn't bother with the details of tech, of science.

It works for Destiny it can for Anthem, I'm just disapointed that drew karpyshyn came back to write anthem but won't bother with building the tech in the world but I'm super eager to see his lore.

Haly

Modern FF games have always been Science Fantasy, just heavier on the Fantasy side.

Fantasty Science perhaps.

Where is that arthur c clarke quote, oh yeah: Any sufficiently advanced Technology is indistinguishable from magic. With that in mind, all fantasy is science fiction. If it goes against the laws of physics, there is always the 'alternate universe' explanation.

Eusis

Eh, I see science fantasy as stuff like Tides of Numenera, Book of the New Sun, and far future works in general. Mass Effect would be primarily science fiction. It's a far cry from the typical works categorized as science fantasy
There's also the term hard science fiction, it can be a sliding scale for being hard or soft... if not a full on spectrum as you can be pretty grounded on the science yet throw in straight up fantasy (I think Book of the New Sun gives glimpses of that at times, which makes sense given Gene Wolfe was an engineer before he was an author) and you can keep out the blatant fantasy elements while being extremely soft on the actual science.

I basically hate "science fantasy" as a term. We already have the terms hard/soft SciFi to cover the delineation between works that attempt to be internally consistent and/or realistic, and works that are more focused on human elements, are fun space adventures and like to play loosey goosey with the technology. It's a redundant term and I swear half the time I see anyone using it is in the context of people smugly telling me that "Star Trek is science fiction while Star Wars is Science Fantasy", arguing with a straight face that the Q-continuum, thousands of godlike aliens, casual time travel, the voyager episode "Threshold", Spock's Brain and gangster planets were somehow more serious and scientific than The Force.

Two Words

Anthem is starting to feel more and more like a real life manifestation of Destiny 2's story. Namely, Destiny 2 being humans/Earth. Anthem being Gaul/Cabal/ and the traveler being the massive audience that plays Destiny. I guess we'll see how it shakes out and if Anthem lives up to the promise.

Haly

What about The Spirits Within?!

tumblr_nize9kFgpu1rtorllo1_1280.png

Jhn

So, basically, in science fantasy you don't even have time to explain why you don't have time to explain.

FinalAres

I basically hate "science fantasy" as a term. We already have the terms hard/soft SciFi to cover the delineation between works that attempt to be internally consistent and/or realistic, and works that are more focused on human elements, are fun space adventures and like to play loosey goosey with the technology. It's a redundant term and I swear half the time I see anyone using it is in the context of people smugly telling me that "Star Trek is science fiction while Star Wars is Science Fantasy", arguing with a straight face that the Q-continuum, thousands of godlike aliens, casual time travel, the voyager episode "Threshold", Spock's Brain and gangster planets were somehow more serious and scientific than The Force.
Thing is, take the original Star Wars trilogy and Star Trek original series. Other than the most superficial fact that they're both set in space, they share nothing in common. They're nothing like each other.

Yes as the star wars universe expanded its taken on science fiction elements, because its gained writers that are science fiction, and Star Trek has gained elements of mysticism as fantastical writers have written for it. It is inevitable that genres are diluted as franchises expand.

The point of the star wars V star trek example is that it's a simple illustration of the very real differences between science fiction and science Fantasy. It doesn't matter that when you dissect it, the argument is flawed. People understand what you mean and that's the important thing.

The other thing to note is that whilst they are separate genres, you can totally blend them. Doctor Who is the perfect example.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
At this point, I'm actually pretty surprised that Anthem wasn't changed into a Star Wars game 3 years ago.

I basically hate "science fantasy" as a term.

Me too, I just consider Star Wars to be a straight up fantasy that's set in space.

Eusis

All the more reason for my argument of being a spectrum really. Science Fantasy shouldn't be used just because the science is soft, but because it straight up HAS fantasy, which is the case with Jedi specifically and whatever the hell is going on with Destiny, while everything outside of the Jedi for Star Wars (and honestly, most of Star Trek too probably) would just be soft science fiction in that it doesn't really work to be plausible science though it may at least try to stay consistent, while really hard science fiction would be the sort of stuff that goes "FTL is a pipe dream and laser guns aren't a practical weapon, nevermind light sabers."

EDIT: Hell, Phantasy Star would be a great example of what I'd think of as Science Fantasy, in that it really is a fantasy adventure that happens to have advanced technology and space travel.

Top Bottom