• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mother 2 Resurrection Festival, game coming to Wii U VC in Japan on 3/20

Ban Puncher

Market dictates price, anyone listing a copy near the average going rate is hardly a scumbag.

I bet you an official English translation and release of Mother 3 that the people selling copies on eBay did not pay anywhere near the amounts they are asking.

Mind you, if you're lazy and only look on eBay for rare games you deserve to get ripped off.

Cranzor

Lovely message from Itoi.

I am not expecting this to come to the West, but I will be very pleasantly surprised if it does. I really want to play this game.

Stencil

As a masochistic Mother fan in America, I find it funny me saying this, but why is everyone preemptively fucking NoA??

I mean, I know, the proof is in the pudding, history shows that there's no chance of us getting a stateside release. But it's not like NoA has already said "NOPE! QUIT HOLDIN' YER BREATH!" about a VC release... Right??
god I wish they would at least give us that. SOME KIND OF RECOGNITION! ANYTHIIIIIINGkillmenow

terrisus

I bet you an official English translation and release of Mother 3 that the people selling copies on eBay did not pay anywhere near the amounts they are asking.

Mind you, if you're lazy and only look on eBay for rare games you deserve to get ripped off.

As was said though, the prices that things sell for are what people are willing to pay for them. If people didn't want to pay them, they wouldn't sell. And, sure, some of the people selling it on there are people who got it from someone else's mother who was selling all of her son's games at a tag sale for $20 for the lot of them, but, obviously not taking the time to go around to tag sales and flea markets and such and just hopping on eBay is the choice that some people make, and that's what they're willing to pay to not have to do that.

For instance, the price on it has come down significantly since when the SNES version was the only option, but, despite there being a Wii VC, PS1, DS, and iOS port/remake/version of Chrono Trigger, the cheapest Buy it Now for the SNES Chrono Trigger currently on eBay is still $70 (one with stickers all over it). Granted it's possible to get it much cheaper than that by waiting for a regular auction to end (one sold for $25, one for $30, one for $35, and then more in the $40-50 range), but, given the various options that are much cheaper, obviously there are still people who just want to own the original version.

Anyway though, that was a bit of an aside, but, my main point was, sure, the price of Earthbound will come down is other versions of it are released here, but it's not like all of a sudden all the people selling it are going to be like, "Oh well, guess the jig is up! Darn!" and sell them all for $10 or something. There's still going to be demand for the original version as well.

mooooose

I'm still pissed by brother gave away a brand new copy of Earthbound to a friend of the family because they only had 1 SNES game at the time and he felt bad for him. This was back in the late 90's before it was worth a lot, but even then it was a rare game. My brother gave it because it was the only brand new game I had lying around, if I had had any other game sealed he probably would have given that. My brother was in elementary at the time though so I guess he didn't know any better.

EDIT: I hope it gets released just to drive the Ebay prices down. If Nintendo didn't get used back when they first released I don't think they'll be getting sued now. If they do release it they better not change anything about it like with Star Tropics. Sign a damn contract if you're worried but there is no excuse for changing a game from how it was originally released.
If it makes you feel any better, I bought super mario rpg from a video store in 2002 for $4 and traded it in a week later to EBgames for 50 cents to get an Android 18 action figure. I was 10.

Fml

As a masochistic Mother fan in America, I find it funny me saying this, but why is everyone preemptively fucking NoA??

I mean, I know, the proof is in the pudding, history shows that there's no chance of us getting a stateside release. But it's not like NoA has already said "NOPE! QUIT HOLDIN' YER BREATH!" about a VC release... Right??
god I wish they would at least give us that. SOME KIND OF RECOGNITION! ANYTHIIIIIINGkillmenow

Yeah, I mean... basically, there don't seem to be any real changes in the situation across the shore, so there's no real reason to believe that we'll be seeing any resurgence of the franchise here.

It's good to know that the series is getting some sort of nod, though, even if it is only in Japan. And it's always wonderful to hear Itoi's reflections on this series. These games mean a lot to me, and I hope that many more people are able to experience them because of this.

It's a reaction to the atmosphere that has been cultivated, the same one of which Operation Rainfall was also a reaction towards. It's hard not to be pessimistic when history shows that non-Japanese Nintendo fans are often treated as second-class.

I get that they are a Japanese company at heart, but that doesn't mean they are beholden only to Japanese fans, unless they want to watch their fanbase shrink disastrously. Again.

Drago

Looking at the Miiverse community in NA for Balloon Fight, there are quite a few posts about Earthbound, and many of the most popular posts are relating to Earthbound and its worldwide release. A post I made about it even got 100 Yeahs!

It's nice to see people want the game brought over. I really hope it gets someones attention. Maybe even from Itoi himself when he'll be in the Mother 2 Miiverse community.
...I want to play EB again now, badly. :(

You know I've owned every nintendo console.

I'd consider myself a huge RPG fan.. I've played pretty much every major RPG on a nintendo console.. yet one of the few i've missed is Earthbound for SNES.

My neighbor used to own it and i could have had a loan of it anytime.. I played it for maybe 30 minutes once then never played it again. It seemed decent but for whatever reason i never played through it.

it's one of those games i really should buy and play it considering the huge following it has.

Looking at the Miiverse community in NA for Balloon Fight, there are quite a few posts about Earthbound, and many of the most popular posts are relating to Earthbound and its worldwide release. A post I made about it even got 100 Yeahs!

It's nice to see people want the game brought over. I really hope it gets someones attention. Maybe even from Itoi himself when he'll be in the Mother 2 Miiverse community.

Lol, good ole Starmen.net I bet, still fighting the good fight. It'd be damn nice to see Itoi address the matter of Earthbound being released/rereleased in the west.

Fandangox

I don't know why, but I'm still not conviced it won't be released in the US/EU.

Maybe after the 30 cent sales, since they know a lot of people want to buy it and would be willing to pay more than 30 cents for it?

That's what I was thinking as well.

Never lose hope!

:'c

Like I said in the Miiverse thread there's quite a few of them under Popular. I did my part in Yeahing them all :D hopefully more people do their part.

18-Volt

I get that they are a Japanese company at heart, but that doesn't mean they are beholden only to Japanese fans, unless they want to watch their fanbase shrink disastrously. Again.

Funny thing is they actually do, I'm sure that if things would turn up so badly, their back-up plan would be being Japan exclusive company. They are ready to screw western fans anytime. Closure of Nintendo Power is their latest show of respect for us.

It's 2013, every Japanese company except Namco's Tales series release their games worldwide same date, even Nintendo's partner The Pokémon Company. Nintendo still refuses to do so in many games, including potential million sellers like Animal Crossing and Brain Age.

Funny thing is they actually do, I'm sure that if things would turn up so badly, their back-up plan would be being Japan exclusive company. They are ready to screw western fans anytime. Closure of Nintendo Power is their latest show of respect for us.

It's 2013, every Japanese company except Namco's Tales series release their games worldwide same date, even Nintendo's partner The Pokémon Company. Nintendo still refuses to do so in many games, including potential million sellers like Animal Crossing and Brain Age.
Holy crap, almost nothing you just posted is actually true. :/

Nearly no Japanese publishers manage consistent worldwide releases (Nintendo's better than most really), Nintendo has nothing to do with the current Nintendo Power, The Pokémon Company doesn't publish games outside Japan at all, Animal Crossing 3DS was delayed for the west only because it uses a custom game card (which is already in short supply for Japan) and it's almost impossible to imagine a scenario where the maker of Mario games goes Japan only.

Yeah, NOA can be shitty from time to time, but man, reign it in people. We'll get Earthbound on VC, just not for 30¢.

I wish I were as optimistic. :(
There's really no reason not to be. I said it in another thread: NOA might be shitty but they're not stupid. They know the demand out there for this specific game, the sort of positive press and enthusiast response a release would garner, and they'll be more than happy to collect $8-9 a pop for it. Nothing would propel Wii U VC into the gaming press headlines and fanbase consciousness like an Earthbound release (finally, after all these years) will. I doubt even NOA will sleep on that sort of opportunity.

The only reason it never saw the light if day on Wii VC was due to copyright concerns, and that was applicable worldwide. It was however planned for US release (even had a finished digital manual and ESRB rating), and was weeks away from release before the axe fell. That it's finally getting a Japan release tells me Nintendo's likely adjusted any legally objectionable content (the JP Wii release was also killed, despite being demo ready in SSBB), which also tells me there's really nothing reasonable standing in the way of overseas release either.

Drago

If Earthbound isn't on the NA VC by the end of the year, then I'll have no hope for the future of both it's release and the rest of the Mother series outside of Japan.

They could also release Mother 1 in NA too, right? NoA made an english version that was never officially released...

Davey Cakes

They could also release Mother 1 in NA too, right? NoA made an english version that was never officially released...
I'm pretty sure Mother 1 doesn't suffer from copyright issues, other than perhaps the chip-tunes version of Johnny B. Goode (yes, the same song in EB that's apparently infringing). They could release it but I'm not sure it would do well. Then again, it's just a NES rom so it wouldn't be much work. That said, Nintendo definitely can't release Mother without releasing Earthbound. The two would have to be released in junction if Mother was to be released at all.

Yuripaw

Banned
Whenever people bring up the lame excuse of "copyright" being the reason that EarthBound hasn't been re-released in the west, I gotta wonder...how fucking thin of an excuse is this really? First of all, it's not like Japan doesn't have copyright laws either. Any music license holder that exists in the west, also exists in Japan, and could easily sue them for the same reason. Secondly, it's not like because the game is old that they couldn't still be sued. EarthBound was released and published in the US, it already happened. If any copyright holder wanted to file suit, they already could...but they're not. If they haven't taken notice of EarthBound already, a virtual console release isn't gonna make it more likely to happen.

Also...if EarthBound could be sued for this stupid reason, why hasn't Capcom been sued several times already? I think some of the Mega Man music is a hell of a lot closer to sounding like some other music than some of the stuff in EarthBound...

Davey Cakes

It's because of stinginess or general tight-assedness of Nintendo. If there's any risk of infringement, it means the company might have to pay and they're likely not willing to do that just so a dedicated fanbase can get an $8 rom of a game that was a near-disaster for the company in the first place.

I agree that the issues are overblown though. All of the "infringements" in EB (only three which are confirmed to be of any measurable trouble at all) merely add charm to the game and aren't complete ripoffs of the infringed properties that are somehow greatly benefiting Nintendo at the cost of the property owners. It's a niche video game, for fuck's sake. But I guess in legal land you can never be too careful...

Even if EB couldn't be released in its original form, I still never saw the big deal with slightly editing the infringements. I'd think you can take out the Johnny B. Goode song and the Skyrunner theme, and change the name "Dali's Clock" to something else without much detriment to the overall experience. People within the Starmen.net community have been hacking EB for years with PK Hack, doing things like completely altering the game or just changing what music happens where and what enemy names are. Seems like all the "issues" are overblown simple fixes.

This all leads me to curiosity about Mother 2's impending release in Japan, and whether or not the game was altered in any way. I'm guessing it wasn't, if we consider Mother 1+2 (GBA), but at this point we'll just have to wait until March.

If Earthbound isn't on the NA VC by the end of the year, then I'll have no hope for the future of both it's release and the rest of the Mother series outside of Japan.

I'm not sure I would time an Earthbound release, Nintendo has a history of holding out a stupidly long time on something and then suddenly going "actually we're going to release this now!" when it's been so long since people demanded it, that everyone's caught by surprise (Sin and Punishment EU and US Wii VC release, Animal Crossing EU release, Xenoblade Chronicles US release)

I'ld love to see a Hanabi Festival again with Earthbound release, MAKE IT HAPPEN NOE (Also Mother 3 for GBA VC and Earthbound 0 for NES VC please)

Davey Cakes

I will say it was pretty funny going to the Balloon Fight community on Miiverse and seeing all the posts about Earthbound. Hah. Nintendo's probably going to hate us for spamming them like this. But hey, eventually they're not going to be able to ignore the players. EB-related posts being in Top Posts says a lot.

March is going to be really cool because of the Festival, but things could also get really messy. I'm actually excited to see what happens.

This all leads me to curiosity about Mother 2's impending release in Japan, and whether or not the game was altered in any way. I'm guessing it wasn't, if we consider Mother 1+2 (GBA), but at this point we'll just have to wait until March.
My guess is the "copyright concerns" didn't come to light until M2/EB was being readied for international release in 2008. And if those issues didn't apply in Japan, the Wii VC release would've gone through. But it didn't, so they likely did.

It'll be interesting to see if anything has changed in the Wii U VC Mother 2 release. Mother 1 GBA had some slight alterations too iirc, though for different reasons.

WhyMe6

Itoi is the man. This little snippet of writing really demonstrates why the Mother series is so beautiful and so easily able to bring me to tears. His writing is able to elicit authentic, thought-provoking emotional reactions in such little words. It's not overblown, it's not for shock value - it's sweet, and it's real. You can also really see this style of his extended to the scenarios of the various games.

I really hope this eventually comes to over to PAL regions. I'd love to play it again with Miiverse functionality.

bhlaab

I'm not sure how much of a 'resurrection' it is to upload a rom file to the virtual console but nice to see it get mentioned all the same.

EMT0

Banned
So, who actually feels that feeling that's been drained out of me? You know what I mean.

I'm not holding my breath on the Mother franchise coming over, but has anyone actually speculated, or even outright asked Itoi if this is what he had in mind for the Mother resurrection? Because this seems rather tame for something getting labeled as a resurrection.

I've got a gut feeling we're going to be seeing a Mother game remade for either the 3DS or the Wii U, maybe even in 3D? I've also got another gut feeling that we won't be seeing it over here :(

Considering the NA marketing, I'm surprised it sold as well as it did.

ebsac_mail_envelopefront.jpg

ebsac_ad1.jpg

ebreeks.jpg

The funny thing is Nintendo will remind us the franchise still exist with adding even more Mother content to Smash Bros. It's not because NoA ignores the series, it's because NCL hates us non-Japanese people.

Yeah, but NOA could at least be a little more open and transparent about it. Because surely they know the reasons even if they're not at liberty to do anything about them.

(Let's also apply that to the whole "DKCs nuked from VC" thing while we're at it.)

Davey Cakes

One of the worst ad campaigns of all time. :(

It's like they took the grossest part of the game (Master Belch, perhaps?) and characterized the entire experience by it. That kind of misses the mark. I don't know what they were thinking.

farnham

Banned
Whenever people bring up the lame excuse of "copyright" being the reason that EarthBound hasn't been re-released in the west, I gotta wonder...how fucking thin of an excuse is this really? First of all, it's not like Japan doesn't have copyright laws either. Any music license holder that exists in the west, also exists in Japan, and could easily sue them for the same reason. Secondly, it's not like because the game is old that they couldn't still be sued. EarthBound was released and published in the US, it already happened. If any copyright holder wanted to file suit, they already could...but they're not. If they haven't taken notice of EarthBound already, a virtual console release isn't gonna make it more likely to happen.

Also...if EarthBound could be sued for this stupid reason, why hasn't Capcom been sued several times already? I think some of the Mega Man music is a hell of a lot closer to sounding like some other music than some of the stuff in EarthBound...

Reissuing could draw attention to the copyright holders. Also they might have licence contracts without worldwide applicability (territorial license)

Eusis

One of the worst ad campaigns of all time. :(

It's like they took the grossest part of the game (Master Belch, perhaps?) and characterized the entire experience by it. That kind of misses the mark. I don't know what they were thinking.
90s marketing towards kids and teenagers: focus on grossout or being xtreme. Almost all of it is abhorrent or even nonsensical a few years later. Which is usually the case with stuff sold to kids I guess, but it was probably at its most extreme then. And I do think some bought into it, I was sold on the Nintendo Power spread, but had a morbid fascination with those scratch & sniff cards.

I guess to be somewhat optimistic again, I wonder if the festival could actually be the reason here? Mother's done fairly well in Japan, but I think here they may want to test this at full price if they plan to put it out at all, and would rather save it for a later window. And likely with much less fanfare.

90s marketing towards kids and teenagers: focus on grossout or being xtreme. Almost all of it is abhorrent or even nonsensical a few years later. Which is usually the case with stuff sold to kids I guess, but it was probably at its most extreme then. And I do think some bought into it, I was sold on the Nintendo Power spread, but had a morbid fascination with those scratch & sniff cards.

Yeah, I don't think the advertising campaign can really be to blame with Earthbound's apparent lack of success. Consider the far worse Yoshi's Island SNES TV commercial - a little gross-out humor isn't going to spoil a game's popularity, and stinky scratch & sniff cards were "in" at the time, as I recall. There were lots of things around that had them - I recall a line of gross trading cards me and my friends had, each with a different scent attached. I remember action figures with scratch and sniff bits, too.

As much as I love Earthbound I think the game probably was just too weird thematically for some people. The entire reason I played Earthbound at all is because I had some friends who didn't like the game and let me borrow their copy for an extended period of time, WITH the strategy guide.

Davey Cakes

I still have my scratch-and-sniff cards from Nintendo Power. And they still smell, kind of. The Bubble Monkey one is the strongest though.

I can understand the reason behind the marketing but I think they went a bit too far with it. From what I recall, my brother and I had interest in the game because the game itself looked cool, not because Nintendo grossed us out with the marketing and made use crave the "stinky" nature of the game.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Not holding our for a Europe release, but you can surprise me if ya want Nintendo, I won't hold it against you.

I remember I won the contest with the mystery smell card. It was pizza. They sent me a mach pizza guy air freshener and a short note.

Here's hoping my all time favorite game comes to the US.... again.

Top Bottom