• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

jediyoshi

iy3yFEfHHcVWY.jpg

Q9SUQF4.jpg

RPGCrazied

Nice. This is the perfect time to add the stuff they cut in the gamecube version. This is what is going to sell Wii U's.

I thought the next Zelda game though was coming to 3DS? Did that get scrapped?

Hypatia

I don't have much of a problem with the quality of the dungeons. It's the quantity of them. There weren't many at all. Disappointing.

I really hope they put in the Nayru's Pearl dungeon.

And then some dungeons on the islands you visit to collect the Triforce pieces.

And then a few hundred more because you can never have enough dungeons.

daxy

What the hell did they do to it?

Dang that looks bad. What's up with that gross filter? It looked fine as it did without that shiny stuff. All they had to do is update it with sharper textures and cleaner cell shading. This isn't true to the style of the original at all.
The models also look rounded as opposed to 'flat' like in the original. Weeeeeeird.

smh

Always kind of figured that one of the most fantastic things about Wind Waker was that it wouldn't need something like this ten years down the line. Majora's Mask actually would have excited me though.

I'm just gonna go brood over there...

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Nice. This is the perfect time to add the stuff they cut in the gamecube version. This is what is going to sell Wii U's.

I thought the next Zelda game though was coming to 3DS? Did that get scrapped?

This is a remake, the next 3DS Zelda will be almost surely brand new, so why should they have scrapped it?

Nice, but will they fix the empty ocean?

Just a HD port wouldn't do the game much justice.

I don't think people are hating on the bloom lighting (though there is a bit much of it), it's the major change to the way the characters are presented. Just look at the shading on link in the above Dolphin shot vs. WiiU HD pics... just a really strange decision.

duckroll

They should really get rid of the bloom entirely. It's really ugly, and if you're going for an animated look, there shouldn't be bloom in the first place. >_<

Hypatia

See now you're just underscoring how bad the remake looks.

They've complete removed the bold colour transitions and shading ): Ugh bloom. Why?

It looks like a completely different game rather than a remake.

I'm still going to buy it anyway

You know what this game really needs? once you've used the command melody in the late game dungeons you should be able to instantly swap between the characters without having to play the bloody thing over and over, TUNE UP THE OVERALL GAME EXPERIENCE!
That statement alone bestows more hype upon me than the visuals.

And make the Ghost Ship like a mini dungeon, jeez that had to be the biggest anti climax in any Zelda game for me, I was intrigued ever since old beardo camera man first mentioned it to me and after all of my excitement it was like those subs filled with a few enemies, at least throw a mini boss in there or something.

Claneko

They are steadily moving me towards wanting to buy a WiiU. I am not completely there yet, but announcements like this are definitely raising my interest.

Yawnier

Banned
Thinking about this now, Wind Waker is one of the last Gamecube games I would have personally chosen for a re-release just considering that it has a great art style and is cel shaded.

I just played through this game last year and it has held up and aged very well, I guess my point is that there are numerous other Gamecube games that could use a HD remaster/remake more than WW.

Would be neat if they have an option that lets you choose the look you prefer.

I like the new look but it's definitely quite different.

Coolwhip

Banned
Funny that replies vary from 'ruined' to 'jizz in mah pants'. I'm going with the second one. Keep in mind these are early screenshots if release is in fall too.

Wiz

Best news in a LONG time.

I thought this was possible but would never happen. DREAMS DO COME TRUE!!!

JeTmAn81

This makes me feel better about having sold my Gamecube copy of Wind Waker. When I eventually get around to actually playing through it (that won't be for a long time since I can't even muster the effort to play through Skyward Sword and Majora's Mask) I will have a superior option.

Doran902

New version looks worse imo.

Someone said unreal engine tech demo and thats exactly what I was thinking, someone can import a bunch of shit models and they think the lighting makes everything look amazing when its really just a distraction.

JollyWolf

I'm glad we're all judging this based on static screenshots. That seems like a really smart, informed thing to do.

I guess this should also go for people who love it as well? What are we suppose to judge it on? If they didn't want us to judge us, they wouldn't have released the damn things.

I'm glad we're all judging this based on static screenshots. That seems like a really smart, informed thing to do.

You know why they didn't show it in motion? Cause it's fucking overlit to hell and the bloom will go crazy if you don't show it from just the right angles, cause it simply picks up and overblows all the white values of the image.

Sushigod7

I'm hoping we get a real collectors edition from Nintendo someday this would be a great place to start. Come on!! No BS gold controller we need art books figures and a real soundtrack.

Con_Smith

Banned
Replace the triforce fetch quests with the cut dungeons or no dice. One of my worst zelda experiences even if I liked the story.

nasos_333

Screen1-Large.jpg

Dolphin version looks stunning, i have to replay that one at some point :)

Maybe they have an option on the WiiU version to look like that and not destroy it with "next gen" graphics ?

Hypatia

How would animation change the amount of bloom or the rim lighting or the smoother shadow transitions? It would still look like a different game even if it looked better in motion.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
I actually think the HD jump looks really good.

No complaints from me.

Revven

They'll probably address the lighting issues, it honestly looks really early and people are just flipping out on early images. >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom