• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

Aleh

Absolutely nothing of note. As I said, it's just showcasing lore :)

It does mention a possible connection between the Unowns and Ultra Beasts though, and throws in even mentions of a future civilization gifting technology to people of the past, or other details like these. It's all very interesting, I hope they'll do more of these.

Weebos

Banned
When do we find out what the next VGC season will be? Haven't been playing these past few months and I'm considering jumping online.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Seems I Choose You is doing good in theaters, it's the first Pokemon movie to debut at #1 since the Diancie film.

Mr-Joker

Banned
People always go on how evil Team Rocket is because they killed a Pokémon, well I was playing Pokémon Diamond and there was an NPC in the Lost Tower mourning the lost of his Pokémon after Team Galactic have killed him, which actually surprised me as I never knew that.

Seems I Choose You is doing good in theaters, it's the first Pokemon movie to debut at #1 since the Diancie film.

I legit forgot that Diancie exist...by extension I also remember that I forgot that Magearna and she's part of gen 7.

Man the event Pokémon from gen 6 onward are just forgettable and half heartily connected to the Pokémon universe, it's like Game Freak don't even try anymore.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So I have theory to why "Pokémon Z" might have not happened and it might have something to do with the change in structure within Game Freak.

X and Y was the last game that Masuda directed and he passed the mantle to Ohmori who wet his teeth on the Hoenn remake.

Now many folk, myself included, noticed how X and Y felt like a paint by the number Pokémon game that was heavily lacking in soul.

So my theory is that sometime during the development of X and Y Masuda got burnt out of the directing duty and was struggling to muster his energy into the game and perhaps decided to groom Ohmori as his replacement which led to a shift in focus perhaps Ohmori wanted to make his own mark with a new generation rather than continue with someone else work and pushed this hard to Masuda who possibly agreed, thus the decision was that "Pokémon Z" would be skipped in favour for a new generation.

Now granted this is pure 100% speculation and I have no evidence to back this up but it's how I feel and looking at Masuda role in Sun and Moon he clearly took a back seat and let Ohmori lead the generation.

I mean no disrespect to Masuda but he has been the directing the Pokémon series since 1999 so it would have been understandable if he did get burnt out during X and Y, dude has spent 14 years in the director chair.

remember Volcanion lol

Took me a while to visualize him but I thought of Heatran first before Volcanion rear his ugly head...I don't even remember what his lore is in Kalos but I do know that it has nothing to do with the Power Plant.

Diancie is v cute

She's also forgettable and plays no part in Kalos lore, she should have been a Carbink evolution.

Macka

Man, there's some amazing Pokemon art out there. Feel like every few weeks I stumble across something really cool.

GrU49TS.jpg

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
In my mind those two examples would be pronounced about the same.
they are, but japan has a specific romanization

Rayquaza for instance is the same romanization for US and JP but the pronunciation is different in JP. It's why people thought Magearna had a different spelling in Japanese.

Puruzi

Banned
So I have theory to why "Pokémon Z" might have not happened and it might have something to do with the change in structure within Game Freak.

X and Y was the last game that Masuda directed and he passed the mantle to Ohmori who wet his teeth on the Hoenn remake.

Now many folk, myself included, noticed how X and Y felt like a paint by the number Pokémon game that was heavily lacking in soul.

So my theory is that sometime during the development of X and Y Masuda got burnt out of the directing duty and was struggling to muster his energy into the game and perhaps decided to groom Ohmori as his replacement which led to a shift in focus perhaps Ohmori wanted to make his own mark with a new generation rather than continue with someone else work and pushed this hard to Masuda who possibly agreed, thus the decision was that "Pokémon Z" would be skipped in favour for a new generation.

Now granted this is pure 100% speculation and I have no evidence to back this up but it's how I feel and looking at Masuda role in Sun and Moon he clearly took a back seat and let Ohmori lead the generation.

I mean no disrespect to Masuda but he has been the directing the Pokémon series since 1999 so it would have been understandable if he did get burnt out during X and Y, dude has spent 14 years in the director chair.

Took me a while to visualize him but I thought of Heatran first before Volcanion rear his ugly head...I don't even remember what his lore is in Kalos but I do know that it has nothing to do with the Power Plant.

She's also forgettable and plays no part in Kalos lore, she should have been a Carbink evolution.
Nah, she's one of my faves. Not forgettable for me

Kyzer

Banned
Heres my baseless theory that I hope happened:

Masuda, during XY, knew that the time was coming to pass the torch of directing new generations to others. He also foresaw the coming HD development hurdles ahead, and wanted to get to work on HD development as soon as possible, beginning with future proofing pokemon battle models. Ohmori proving himself to be a meticulous director with ORAS, was trusted to direct gen 7 so that Morimoto and Unno, being the most prepared to take over director position, could have time to work on HD Gen 8. Thus, Gen 8 has been a work in progress since 2014 and will be a glorious full throated full HD Pokemon adventure.

Realistically:

Masuda had to help with Pokemon Go and for Unno and Morimoto dont get to direct new gens :/

I still feel like Ohmori was chosen to be Masuda's successor since he was so heavily involved in game design and worked directly under Masuda on various games. If Ohmori turns out not to be working on US/UM, them it's pretty likely that he'll be the director for Gen 8.

Morimoto and Unno are usually in charge of the Battle System and Art Design, respectively. I don't think that will change anytime soon. Besides, they've directed games that are based on a pre-existing foundation as they're not the first titles in a generation. Maybe one of them is the director for US/UM. The last time someone at Game Freak directed a game twice in a row was Masuda with R/S and FR/LG.

ash_ag

I still feel like Ohmori was chosen to be Masuda's successor since he was so heavily involved in game design and worked directly under Masuda on various games. If Ohmori turns out not to be working on US/UM, them it's pretty likely that he'll be the director for Gen 8.

Morimoto and Unno are usually in charge of the Battle System and Art Design, respectively. I don't think that will change anytime soon. Besides, they've directed games that are based on a pre-existing foundation as they're not the first titles in a generation. Maybe one of them is the director for US/UM. The last time someone at Game Freak directed a game twice in a row was Masuda with R/S and FR/LG.

This is exactly the case. Ohmori was in essence a sub-director in XY. He was clearly being groomed to direct. There's been a number of directors for secondary releases, but the reason for that is because Masuda is typically working on the next generation when secondary games are being made.

Also, really doubt Unno is directing Gen 8. He's in all likelihood the USUM director. In fact, the Gen 8 director may well be Masuda himself. The proximity between SM and the Switch game may be the very reason he gave Gen 7 to Ohmori.

stn

Sorry, random question.

Do I need any type of link cable to transfer Pokemon between the N3DS XL and the DS Lite? I'm planning to transfer from Platinum to White 2, then from White 2 to the Bank. Will the transfer to White 2 be instant or do I have to do some stupid mini game?

spiritfox

Sorry, random question.

Do I need any type of link cable to transfer Pokemon between the N3DS XL and the DS Lite? I'm planning to transfer from Platinum to White 2, then from White 2 to the Bank. Will the transfer to White 2 be instant or do I have to do some stupid mini game?

Yes there's a stupid minigame to transfer to BW. IIRC the transfer is only available postgame.

Macka

Sorry, random question.

You don't need a link cable, but there is a mini game you have to do to transfer Pokemon six at a time.

Kyzer

Banned
This is exactly the case. Ohmori was in essence a sub-director in XY. He was clearly being groomed to direct. There's been a number of directors for secondary releases, but the reason for that is because Masuda is typically working on the next generation when secondary games are being made.

Also, really doubt Unno is directing Gen 8. He's in all likelihood the USUM director. In fact, the Gen 8 director may well be Masuda himself. The proximity between SM and the Switch game may be the very reason he gave Gen 7 to Ohmori.

Sounds fine to me! If USUM can be the B2W2 of this gen im all for it, and even if its Masuda thats been hard at work at Gen 8 since post XY thats basically the bulk of what I want

Oh I didn't know Unno had a Twitter account. Yeah, that banner he has is pretty suspect.

There was an interview a while back where Masuda said that he's pretty much staying in the producer role now. He could obviously go back on this, but I think it makes sense. He was the series director for 11 years, and he's also overseeing other projects now like Pokemon Go.

ash_ag

Alright so I'm replaying through Heartgold cause of the incoming Virtual Console
And I want my final team to be
Feraligator
Heracross
Crobat
Arcanine
Jolteon
Ambipom

Any suggestions for moves or natures I should look out for each?

Edit: beat Whitney with a LV 19 aipom that knows thunder lol.

Alright so I'm replaying through Heartgold cause of the incoming Virtual Console
And I want my final team to be
Feraligator +Atk or +Spe, need room for 2 or 3 HMs (you can probably put whirlpool on something insignificant), go with Waterfall, Ice Fang, and/or Crunch.
Heracross +Atk or +Spe, probably should put Rock Smash or Strength here. Megahorn and Brick Break.
Crobat +Atk or +Spe, Fly, Poison doesn't have great coverage pre-6th Gen.
Arcanine Pretty much anything, Fire Move and Extremespeed
Jolteon +SpA or +Spe, Thunderbolt, Shadow Ball, Thunder Wave, and Hidden Power if you have a good type, if not, go with swift or something.
Ambipom +Atk or +Spe, dump extra HMs here.

Any suggestions for moves or natures I should look out for each?

Also reminder that you will need Double Hit on Aipom temporarily to get it to evolve and that evolution stones are really hard to come by in Johto. You might have to grind Pokeathlon or wait until Kanto to get Jolteon and Arcanine.

Also reminder that you will need Double Hit on Aipom temporarily to get it to evolve and that evolution stones are really hard to come by in Johto. You might have to grind Pokeathlon or wait until Kanto to get Jolteon and Arcanine.
I'm pretty good at the pokeathalon so hopefully I'm fine.
Never used an aipom but wanted to see how it would work so hopefully it does me well lol.
Also a trainer on route 36 gives you a Fire stone apparently.

Weiss

Banned
Darn it I want to replay Pokemon Sun but I don't want to delete my old team. I have some really good Pokemon on that file.

I'm pretty good at the pokeathalon so hopefully I'm fine.
Never used an aipom but wanted to see how it would work so hopefully it does me well lol.
Also a trainer on route 36 gives you a Fire stone apparently.
It's mostly just annoying because they only sell certain stones on certain days. While I loved the week-based stuff when the originals came out, I feel like HG/SS having it was just a chore in 2010 when everything else had been so streamlined since.

Also good luck with the phone calls. I had to do that in Crystal a few years ago when I was using Staryu, so I recommend removing everyone else from the phone to maximize chances of that trainer (Schoolboy Alan? Lass Dana? It's been a few years) calling you that they have an item.

It's mostly just annoying because they only sell certain stones on certain days. While I loved the week-based stuff when the originals came out, I feel like HG/SS having it was just a chore in 2010 when everything else had been so streamlined since.

Also good luck with the phone calls. I had to do that in Crystal a few years ago when I was using Staryu, so I recommend removing everyone else from the phone to maximize chances of that trainer (Schoolboy Alan? Lass Dana? It's been a few years) calling you that they have an item.
Yeah I did that actually lol. It's weird cause Whitney was so easy for me for once with an aipom for some reason.

Weiss

Banned
Literally what Pokemon Bank was made for lol

Yeah but I feel weird paying real money for something like that, even if it's just five bucks. Like these little bits of data are worth that much.

But then that means I get to keep my Gengar and Scizor, two of my favourite pokemon, for online when Ultra Sun comes out.

Premature question

How are you guys/gals feeling about Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon now?

I'm more or less...

Curious... Which is a long way from what I was when I realized there wasn't a Switch version. Don't get me wrong, outside of Gaf I didn't voice my displeasure. Originally I was excited because I thought it was announced for the Switch and 3DS, then I was confused when I came to Gaf and saw the thread title saying it was announced for the 3DS only, I quickly got upset saying I won't support these games because I moved on from the 3DS, and now I just want some improvements from the original Sun and Moon and I'll buy one copy.

--------------------

I think August is a given when we will see new info on Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. Wasn't around August last year that Game Freak started going in on Sun and Moon? It's weird.

Weiss

Banned
Pokemon Sun is by far my favourite entry in the series so "that but with more stuff" has got me pretty hyped.

I just hope they don't muck with the storyline too much. That was why I loved Sun so much.

GoldStarz

Premature question

How are you guys/gals feeling about Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon now?
Feeling pretty good, I don't really think it'll be a third version because there's not much reason to make two 'third versions' in my mind. I see a sequel or 'alternate storyline' as some have proposed to be much more likely.
I think August is a given when we will see new info on Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. Wasn't around August last year that Game Freak started going in on Sun and Moon? It's weird.
It's was more around May, but Pokemon Worlds is next month and they almost always have some kinda new tidbit of information for what's upcoming. Whether or not information comes forward steadily after that.
Honestly though, regardless of what it is, it's a little weird that this is the first follow-up game in a half-decade.

brinstar

I'm excited at the possibility of US/UM being games with a lot of postgame stuff to do. The last 3 games all had to be made from scratch so this is the first one since B2/W2 that already has a base.

Kyzer

Banned
Yeah but I feel weird paying real money for something like that, even if it's just five bucks. Like these little bits of data are worth that much.

But then that means I get to keep my Gengar and Scizor, two of my favourite pokemon, for online when Ultra Sun comes out.
$5 a year for infinite replays and being able to transfer between games, so worth it

stn

Shit, is it true that, to trade from Platinum to White 2, you need to see all 210 Sinnoh pokes in Platinum? Someone pleaseeee confirm!

Shit, is it true that, to trade from Platinum to White 2, you need to see all 210 Sinnoh pokes in Platinum? Someone pleaseeee confirm!
Pretty sure whatever you read was wrong. You just need the ability to trade (ie. a Pokedex and at least two Pokemon).

Weiss

Banned
$5 a year for infinite replays and being able to transfer between games, so worth it

Yeah you're right. Plus this way I get to keep all the pokemon I built up and traded for. I want to get one more playthrough of Sun in before US comes out, since ORAS didn't really do it for me. Didn't hate it, but I loved Sun so much more, and I don't feel like doing the Delta Episode.

I'll be hyped for Ultra Sun and Moon if they make non Gen 1 Alolan forms.
Where is my Alolan dunsparce GF?????

Anyway my team for heartgold is all LV 26
Crocanaw
Aipom
Crobat(Surprised it didn't take long for golbat to evolve)
Growlieth
Heracross

I don't know where to get a thunderstone so I am waiting on Jolteon(I may go something different like magenmite but there is no electric field in Johto and I do not have a Sinnoh game so it's not worth it.)

Weiss

Banned
Okay so I downloaded Pokemon Bank. What should I do now? If I restart my Sun file now do I lose all the pokemon in my dex?

NVM I figured it out. Sorry.

Alright that's everything transferred. Time to restart.

stn

HELP.

I am transferring from White 2 to Pokemon Bank. I bought White 2 used, it was already beaten. I used the beaten save file to transfer all my Pokes from Platinum. However, I cannot access the Bank app properly. It says it cannot find compatible save data? The White 2 save is a beaten file. WHY IS THIS SO FUCKING HARD. Thanks. :)

HELP.

I am transferring from White 2 to Pokemon Bank. I bought White 2 used, it was already beaten. I used the beaten save file to transfer all my Pokes from Platinum. However, I cannot access the Bank app properly. It says it cannot find compatible save data? The White 2 save is a beaten file. WHY IS THIS SO FUCKING HARD. Thanks. :)

Call Nintendo. You usually have to do a button prompt that makes Bank recognize the cart as your own, but I don't remember it off the top of my head.

stn

Fucking goddamn Nintendo. If they can't solve this, because the game is used, are my Pokes stuck in that game forever? I was planning to gift it to a friend because the only reason I bought it was for this damn transfer.

Weiss

Banned
Rowlet is too goddamn cute.

I guess I have to pick Litten for US since that's the only Starter I'm missing, but I hate Incineroar so much.

stn

I GOT IT! Fuck you, Nintendo, for making this all so damn complicated. For anyone who ever has a problem importing from any gen other than the 3DS gen of games, here's the solution.

1. Download Pokemon Bank.
2. Run the Bank with a 3DS Poke game inserted.
3. Buy the pass and download Pokemon Transporter.
4. Run Pokemon Transporter with the old Pokemon game inserted.

VOILA.

stn

Ok, so some of my Pokes definitely did not appear in the transfer list. Is it because of certain moves they have or items they hold? Is it there a list somewhere of what isn't compatible with Sun?

Top Bottom