• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda | Review Thread (READ MOD POST)

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Do we have any comparison for Post and Pre patch animation?? or have any example which animation got fixed.

Considering that patch was released before the game was even out(I think it came with the trial and was even downloaded to some who pre-ordered it digitally), I doubt there is much evidence out there.

Lime

i was watching Raycevik's ME1 retrospective and it once again dawned on me how much more organic or at least less off-putting the dialogue and animation sequences are in that game:

qEK73As

I think the eyes help a lot

EDIT: Whoops wrong thread

If the mock reviews were positive - and hey they could have been as everyone has their own subjective opinion on what constitutes quality obviously - then may I suggest EA hire some other mock reviewers going forward. It strains believability that they were all positive. Not that 75 aggregate is bad but it's not what they would have wanted I am sure.

Lime

If the mock reviews were positive - and hey they could have been as everyone has their own subjective opinion on what constitutes quality obviously - then may I suggest EA hire some other mock reviewers going forward. It strains believability that they were all positive. Not that 75 aggregate is bad but it's not what they would have wanted I am sure.

Mock reviewers are usually attuned to what is contemporary standards of presentation, common reception by gaming critics, and consumer expectations, otherwise they wouldn't be employed as mock reviewers. It isn't just a random person off the street, but someone who usually tries to be in tune with current landscape of reception.

I can't comprehend the meaning of the post. They said they gonna fix the animation, they made this statement(by insider) not more than a month ago.
Now due to the lack of time they can't fix it, Its ok not a big problem,could be fix later, But why say it will be fixed in day one patch to anyone.That doesn't make any sense to me. Obviously that was not the truth.

Also not long ago , i posted here only that, it was fascinating to see someone like ME for its multiplayer, as it will always be a single player game for me. Looking at the impression for Multiplayer, and the issues of SP, I couldn't be more wrong :(
Because they thought they could do it?

I'm not trying to mindlessly defend Bioware here, but someone made a point that the animation tool might be broken, which could explain why theres such a drop of quality of it almost everywhere in the game.

Maybe they just coukdnt fix it in the deadline they gave themselves, sometimes this happens. If you want to be mad to them about that, be my guest. Im just giving another guess like all the others that they just couldnt fix the animation in time.

eot

Banned
The last three missions of Mass Effect 1 are gaming euphoria for me and while I do love my Bioware games in general, this has a pure high I doubt I will ever experience again.

First you have Virmire where the art direction starts kicking it up a notch with the tropics everywhere. There's the choice between Ashley/Kaidan and Wrex. You get background on the genophage and have to make galaxy-wide decisions. They then end the mission with the discussion with Sovereign where he tells you, "You ain't shit" directly to your face. The fact that the Reapers were SHIPS is smarter than anything I've seen from Andromeda's writing and is more alien to boot.

You then have Ilos afterwards which is the calm before the storm where the art direction probably peaks along with the music. The world is haunting, which reflects the legacy of the Reapers. You get the second twist from Vigil then it's off to the races. This mission ends with you ramming the Mako through a big ass Geth blockade in which everything is firing at you. Everything is firing at you.

Finally the rush on the Citadel is straight up perfection. You're literally climbing a tower in zero gravity while the Geth throw everything and the kitchen sink at you while a huge ass space battle takes place directly above you. You're literally perpendicular to the building while fighting a mini army. Finally ending with a fight with Saren in which you can make him commit suicide.

That is a fucking peak and why I goddamn play videogames. Bioware hasn't touched that since and prior.
Virmire isn't necessarily the 3rd last mission. Ilos is great, but I think the citadel mission drags a bit.

Mock reviewers are usually attuned to what is contemporary standards of presentation, common reception by gaming critics, and consumer expectations, otherwise they wouldn't be employed as mock reviewers. It isn't just a random person off the street, but someone who usually tries to be in tune with current landscape of reception.

yes hence the surprise at hearing the mock reviews were positive lol

jdstorm

Banned
Destiny spaceships are just loading screens, doubt that will change.
COD is a shooter, not RPG.
Ace Combat is an airplane shooter.
Titanfall 2 has amazing campaign but it's a shooter.
Star Citizen is a pipe dream.
Xenoblade has nothing to do with space.
Battlefront is a shooter.
Elite is an Euro Truck Simulator in space and with zero story.
Galaxy on Fire is just a mega light 'sim'.

None of those games are RPGs in space. That's the problem here, Mass Effect filled a very special niche. I love space games but modern space/scifi gaming is almost always only 4X, sims, and janky survival sims.

Personally I dont really see the distinction between what was offered in most of those shooters vs what Mass Effect does. Not that it matters. Hope we get that space rpg soon.

vivekTO

Because they thought they could do it?

I'm not trying to mindlessly defend Bioware here, but someone made a point that the animation tool might be broken, which could explain why theres such a drop of quality of it almost everywhere in the game.

Maybe they just coukdnt fix it in the deadline they gave themselves, sometimes this happens. If you want to be mad to them about that, be my guest. Im just giving another guess like all the others that they just couldnt fix the animation in time.

First of all i am not Mad at Bioware nor i making someone to feel they are defending them, sorry if it felt that way.

My initial post is not even directed to you.I think we are taking about the positive Mock reviews as said by the "Poster" before Release and I just wanted to know, from that poster, about what happened to the Day one animation patch , thats all. I still can't make out the meaning of your first response.
Although somebody already answered that it did fixed some animations but not that much, That is what I was looking for.

Garlador

If the gameplay is not where BioWare wants it to be, the developer could delay it with EA's blessing. The delay could be a week, or it could be "three or four or five months" if need be, Jorgensen said.

I guess they didn't get EA's blessing.

Pixieking

Banned
I wonder how much of a difference 3-5 months would have made

Depends... Animation bugs and glitches would've been dealt with, but I doubt the facial animations would be improved that much in such a short space of time.

The writing would be just as bad as it is now, because it was already written, recorded and synced to the animation. 3-5 months for major rewrites, re-recording and re-syncing just isn't do-able, as far as I understand game dev.

Scipio

This seems even worse than Inquisition. Especially the combat being even further off an RPG is worrying.

Bleh, BioWare has been dead since ME2.

Vanadium

The Older games mos def had funky character models and animations but this feels like a disjointed bore. It doesn't really have a narrative onus to exist other than trying to be the "next Mass Effect game." The mini games and resource farming will never be good. I always hated ME combat too, it was always character interactions. The whole purpose was being a momma bear to the crew or an insufferable dick. The tension with Miranda was awesome and hilarious. I'm not getting any of that here. Wasted purchase. I'm not seeing myself slog this out to the end in Dragon Age fetch questing.

This seems even worse than Inquisition. Especially the combat being even further off an RPG is worrying.

Bleh, BioWare has been dead since ME2.

I kept playing my 10 hours yesterday and i have to say, this game just isnt sucking me in. The combat i was hoping would be really good to the point where i just couldnt help myself but its just not doing it for me. It feels too much like a shooter. I would have loved to be able to pause the game like in ME1 and tell my teammates who to attack and with what power. I feel like i cant control anything really. And the jumping.....man so out of place. Really not enjoying it.

Guess ill go replay 1-2 and 3.

I'm just glad people are finally realising what a mediocre developer Bioware is. Their games provide absolutely nothing to the RPG genre and they've been exposed.

I dont think Bioware was Mediocre. I think EA montreal are.

Skii

I'm just glad people are finally realising what a mediocre developer Bioware is. Their games provide absolutely nothing to the RPG genre and they've been exposed.

Kumquat

Now that, everybody does. Well unless it takes the proto-human route in which our space ancestors were gods blah blah nonsense.

Did you ever read The Damned series by Alan Dean Foster? It has an interesting premise. Most of the species in the galaxy can't bring themselves to commit violence. Either they have to be genetically modified to do it or have a natural temperment to do it. Humans are then discovered and it is unprecedented how suited to aggression and violence they are. It's a pretty good read.

Kumquat

Well then my comment doesn't apply to you....

I said if you played or tried the game yourself and you don't like it I'm fine with that.

So to judge whether I want to spend my hard earned money on a game I have to... spend my hard earned money on the game.

Well, at least if I don't like it I can return... wait, no I can't.

That's why we have reviews in the first place. You can generally figure out what to spend your money on and what not to.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
4players gave the game good 78% and they hated DAI. Biggest gripe seem to be the variing quality of the dialog and technical issues.

That's good enough for me. Already suspected that the hate here is overblown. I'm sure I'll have my fun with this game.

ironcreed

Banned
4players gave the game good 78% and they hated DAI. Biggest gripe seem to be the variing quality of the dialog and technical issues.

That's good enough for me. Already suspected that the hate here is overblown. I'm sure I'll have my fun with this game.

It is nowhere as bad as the internet is making it out to be. Trust me, it feels like Mass Effect, only with even better gameplay.

.....thats literally the average meracritic., and still far from the average metacritic of other Mess Effect games. Im not sure how you can spin that into 'overblown' hate.

Dragon Age had many contemporaries. Mass Effect does not. If you don't like Mass Effect, what other large scale space based Sci Fi RPG's should you play? Maybe you're being irrational here.

.....thats literally the average meracritic., and still far from the average metacritic of other Mess Effect games. Im not sure how you can spin that into 'overblown' hate.

4players is usually less generous in handing out good scores, for reference their scores for the other three Mass Effect games were 89, 82 and 75. Inquisition received 59 on PS4 and 44 on PC from them.

Nothing is overblown but well if you prefer ME1 with improved graphics, then thats the game for you, however for most of us, we're in 2017 where we got to play a great deal of amazing games that surpass this outdated game named Andromeda. Sure, its not a bad game, no one said it is, it just doesnt feel modern and never does anything outstanding to leave a mark. Its..average.

royox

It's amazing how people is shitting on the new characters as if they were expecting them to be as good as Garrus, Wrex,Liara, Tali, etc . For god's sake people, we all love the ME1 cast so much because of ME2. Because we could see them being developed.

Garrus went from space police to "The hero Omega deserves"

Liara went from "b-but mom" to "have you faced an asari commando unit, BITCH?

Wrex went from -"Shepurd"-"Wrex" to "Shepuuuuuurd, my friend!"

It's not fair to compare those chars with the new ones from andromeda. My gosh give'em a chance.

I miss them SO MUCH :_

4players is usually less generous in handing out good scores, for reference their scores for the other three Mass Effect games were 89, 82 and 75. Inquisition received 59 on PS4 and 44 on PC from them.
Ah, i get it then.

I still think the game needs a few patches before I get it, but it's fine. Just don't clump up everyone as hating it.

Strakt

Reviews dont really mean much for this type of game seeing as how theyre mixed. I certainly bought the game after playing the 10 hrs and i love it. Even streamers with 20k+ viewers are enjoying the shit out of it. This is a game you have to try instead of basing it off someone elses opinion

It's amazing how people is shitting on the new characters as if they were expecting them to be as good as Garrus, Wrex,Liara, Tali, etc . For god's sake people, we all love the ME1 cast so much because of ME2. Because we could see them being developed.

It's not fair to compare those chars with the new ones from andromeda. My gosh give'em a chance.

Eh, I would argue that the reason anyone cared about them coming back for the sequels at all was because they were so well presented in the first game.

I don't get the sense that anyone would really care if these new squadmates came back or not in future games.

ironcreed

Banned

I was seriously worried about hating the new crew. But guess what happened? I liked the ones I have met right off the bat. Funny how the internet and viral memes from isolated scenes can paint an uglier picture than what is actually there.

Jarmel

Banned
Did you ever read The Damned series by Alan Dean Foster? It has an interesting premise. Most of the species in the galaxy can't bring themselves to commit violence. Either they have to be genetically modified to do it or have a natural temperment to do it. Humans are then discovered and it is unprecedented how suited to aggression and violence they are. It's a pretty good read.

Sounds kind of interesting actually. haha

I'll note that down. I'm way behind on my reading backlog.

Hyun Sai

Eh, I would argue that the reason anyone cared about them coming back for the sequels at all was because they were so well presented in the first game.

I don't get the sense that anyone would really care if these new squadmates came back or not in future games.

Nah, the only one I wanted back was Garrus because I liked the Turian design. Otherwise, they were as bland as one can get. Except Ashley. So insufferable I wanted her to die, so I let her die.

Kumquat

I'm gonna end up buying this game but I'll do it when I start my vacation. Hopefully they will have at least added more options to character creation by that time but I doubt it.

MartyStu

Uhh, Liara did not develop, she became a completely different character. Twice.

You are correct about Garrus.

Wrex was well done in the first Mass Effect. In fact, he was the best handled.

Whales

Banned
That 3.9 user score.
Ouch.

I'll stick with my fond memories of 1-3.

"Do not buy this trash. Do not support cancerous sjw community and Bioware as their PR part in videogame industry. We don't need imposing of wrong ideas and politics in gaming."

thats a review in the user spot that gave the game a 0

so yea, if I were you I wouldnt trust the user score.

Audioboxer

That's not true at all. They're just insanely inconsistent and have lost a lot of talent over the years and seemingly replaced it with mediocrity. Bioware as an overall entity though have produced some great gaming moments.

As of late they've made some terrible decisions with project leads. Kind of like how Konami handled Silent Hill. Constantly panning it off to developers and project leads that either ignored what made it great or had genuinely shite ideas.

What it does show you is the gaming industry as a whole isn't "easy" and there is a genuine lack of talent in writing and design at times. Even in big companies that have a wealth of riches at their disposal. They still get it wrong and people get in charge of projects and games they arguably should never have been let near. Often it's careerists rather than gamers or management that understands what made the IP or Game successful in the first place. Too many are chasing MP, MTs and "games as a service" in the likes of EA.

How can we make money easily, rather how can we make money but still have to work hard and produce quality. Not to say many on this project didn't work hard but either as individuals or as a collective lead by management, they just weren't good enough at carrying the ME IP. Bad decisions, shoddy writing, technical issues and a loss of many of the ME fan faithful is a death sentence. Hence why some of those involved have already jumped ship.

Freeman76

Because the hate aimed at this game is beyond ridiculous, its hard to take anything seriously on here at the moment when ME is involved.

Just want to thank you for this mention, the series sounds really interesting so I added it to my kindle wish list to pick up down the line. I already had a series of his on there though have yet to get them either. Pip and Flinx I believe?

Top Bottom