• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Announcing the Sea of Thieves Technical Alpha - December 16th-18th

Somnia

Should add in the title there's a new gameplay video as it's looking AMAZING.

I cannot wait for this game.

RoKKeR

That video was great, starting to get a bit more of a sense of how the gameplay loop will work.

If done right I think this game could be quite successful.

Ushay

This game looks beautiful, but I'm still not understanding the overarching story here? There is always a story right? Or is this just a drop in exploration game?

Somnia

This game looks beautiful, but I'm still not understanding the overarching story here? There is always a story right? Or is this just a drop in exploration game?

It's a make your own story game is my understanding. It's a survival style game like a Rust or Ark (though with no base building I think). Though I do think you can get missions/quests from towns.

Salty Hippo

Finally a good video about this game. To the fucking point, I love it. It even shows gun combat. Environments look insanely good. Dynamic of finding and transporting treasure looks promising.

Of course I signed up for the program. Hope I'm chosen at some point, Rare needs to hear some salty feedback from this overly critical Hippo. No circle jerking, motherfuckers.

woodland

Been dying to try this - signed up. Hope I get in! The ship of the damned looks great, and I'm interested in how the gun/sword combat feels.

Somnia

I hope some leaks do come out despite the NDA. Been really interested in finding out exactly what you do in this game.

The video shows you some of what you do in the game. This is most likely what the alpha will focus on so doubt we'll hear anything beyond what the video shows.

Somnia

I missed this thread.

1000 isn't a lot, look forward to a good 'testing' if I get in.

Ya for an alpha 1000 makes sense, they'll start ramping up after that and they take feedback and work on things. I bet we see Closed Beta in early 2017 and then open beta in the summer.

Zeta Oni

Wow that looks a lot better than I was expecting

sNXWYFo.gif

N79ZM1t.gif

And is this the first look at gunplay?

Really wanna see how the swordplay is now, could have a real winner if done right.

KOCMOHABT

My god that video is really cool

I'm just wondering ... if there is a limited amount of islands, like 20 or so, even 100... won't finding treasure get boring super fast? I mean even if the chest location is randomized it's still just .. the same?

The islands didn't look randomly generated and I think hand-made looks more interesting, but content may be an issue then for an MMO

Hawk269

I hope some leaks do come out despite the NDA. Been really interested in finding out exactly what you do in this game.

From what I understand there has been a lot of closed beta stuff happening and nothing has leaked out of that, so who know if we will get leaks. We have a few people in this thread dropping stuff like "You are going to love it" and other stuff that leads me believe that some people here are playing a closed beta but nothing being leaked.

I signed up a while ago and I hope I get in. I have a lot of free time right now, so it would be perfect timing for me!

Hawk269

My god that video is really cool

I'm just wondering ... if there is a limited amount of islands, like 20 or so, even 100... won't finding treasure get boring super fast? I mean even if the chest location is randomized it's still just .. the same?

The islands didn't look randomly generated and I think hand-made looks more interesting, but content may be an issue then for an MMO

In the video it seems like they show a world map and it looks freaking massive. I am sure some islands are rather large, so hopefully it wont feel repetitive. Like many others, I hope exploration on land is a big feature. Would be great to get quests from a NPC and go out and look for treasure, explore a massive cave fighting enemies and solving puzzles to get to the end and find loot.

Game has a lot of promise, let's hope it works out and for those that do get selected, please do your part and provide feedback...that is the only way Rare will make changes if they hear from the testers.

Leyasu

Banned
Can't wait for this. I imagine that the treasure hunt was just an aperitif. I can see this having raid equivalents and more.

I also think that this will launch with Scorpio

This looks awesome, signed up for the insider program.

So what do you actually do in the game :)

Do pirate stuff with your friends. Raid ships, get treasure, upgrade your ship, get scurvy, etc.

According to the email I got that announced this it's Xbox One only, no PC.

Signed up for the insider program five minutes ago and it asked me if I wanted to test it on Xbox or PC more, or both. Don't think that's true.

Quonny

That video looks good but this game is really going to depend on getting a crew of people together and acting like a team as well as execution by the developer. It's a daunting task.

I sadly dunno if I'll play this much seeing as how my group of friends have very different schedules.

Hawk269

Do pirate stuff with your friends. Raid ships, get treasure, upgrade your ship, get scurvy, etc.

Signed up for the insider program five minutes ago and it asked me if I wanted to test it on Xbox or PC more, or both. Don't think that's true.

This particular test is on Xbox One only. Game is coming out on PC as well, but specifically for the upcoming test it is Xbox One only.

That video looks good but this game is really going to depend on getting a crew of people together and acting like a team as well as execution by the developer. It's a daunting task.

I sadly dunno if I'll play this much seeing as how my group of friends have very different schedules.

I've mentioned this in a few different threads now but I think that Looking For Groups and Clubs is going to be a godsend for this game. It's certainly helped me find cool folk to play Horde abd FH3 with.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Never downloaded the Insider app I was accepted into, I might have to for this now.

1000 is low though.

I meant the tech test, not the game in general

g6kIUGq.png

It specifically says Xbox One Technical Alpha and only mentions Xbox One in the entire email.

Top Bottom