• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

swear during skype call on Xbox One: go right ahead. You won't be banned for that.

read the last post to this thread seems the plausible answer

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_one_support/f/4274/t/1628408.aspx

maybe he uploaded a dodgy vid?

Yes. This was discussed in a separate thread.
He was banned for something else, and Skype requires Gold so he couldn't use it.
(Which is a completely different issue, but it's not Microsoft listening to Skype for keywords)

Entrecôte;91259911 said:
They got banned from Gold for profanity (probably during multiplayer match) and can't use Skype as a result (it requires gold). Same consequences as on 360, nothing new.

Twitter user is taking the image and making a nice story to accompany it.
Yep, it's FUD.

Kinect can recognized words

It's not that good. even Google Voice often turns Tripoli Avenue into Trip Ole Air Venue. There are too many words that could get easily mistaken for swearing.

Mind you, Microsoft could be this dumb. I remember getting fired from my FIFA 13 campaign for swearing. I wasn't even talking; Kinect was picking up the TV.

Still, I doubt MS is this dumb. You're just asking for huge dips in revenue, and they want you to use their services, not be too afraid to.

Mesoian

Entrecôte;91259911 said:
They got banned from Gold for profanity (probably during multiplayer match) and can't use Skype as a result (it requires gold). Same consequences as on 360, nothing new.

Oooooooooh.

That makes more sense.

Raxious

Don't believe this at all, I swear during calls all the time on Skype on PC and nothing has ever happened, unless they're listening to calls on Xbox One (yeah right) then this just can't be true.

Until hard facts are shown, I'm striking this one down to trolling (not you TC, the person claiming this) or being banned from something else.

^^'

it popped up on my newsfeed, however he links to this topic:

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_one_support/f/4274/t/1628408.aspx?PageIndex=1

Apparently it's happend to more people.

Barzul

Well, we already know that pretty much. This mostly just means that kinect is picking up "bad words" and censoring you.

No it doesn't, we've already had gaffers post that they've cursed without being banned. Stop spreading FUD. You really think if Kinect was banning everyone who cursed on a Skype call, this would be the first time we hear about it? A more plausible explanation is he got banned from Live and can't use Skype as a result of that.

Better go ahead and learn an unsupported language. It's the only way.

Seriously though, is this real? Between the bad grammar and the pure insanity of it, I'm finding it hard to believe.

Entrecôte;91259911 said:

Seriously? If you get banned due to conduct in multiplayer, it bans you from everything related to Gold? As in, no Netflix, no HBO, no Skype? That still seems crazy.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
^^'

it popped up on my newsfeed, however he links to this topic:

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_one_support/f/4274/t/1628408.aspx?PageIndex=1

Apparently it's happend to more people.

So people are getting banned for profanity on videos I guess. Question is, if you get banned for profanity why don't they tell you how long the ban is and the source of the ban. This seems like it would clear up all this confusion about the source of the ban.

I can't even Xbox Live Gold anymore? F*** you Microsoft
ipYt7fJH4DFza.gif

Because you're current behaviour, Xbox Gold can't required for NeoGAF.

Atilac

So microsoft not only listens to your conversations they penalize you for swearing? What the fuck kind if Orwellian shit is this?

watership

This really feels like one of those times where someone claims they were banned for something innocuous and then an official record shows they did something horrible elsewhere and chose not to mention it.

Are you saying people are lying on the internet about Xbox One to make MS look bad?

If this is legit, doesn't it all but confirm MS are listening to private chats via Skype? Someone needs to investigate further as this doesn't seem to make a lick of sense...

Someone I know was telling me that there's language in the license agreement says that MS can monitor all activity with the console... not sure if true.

Anyway, this is amazeballs (not in the good way, in the "what a fuckup!" way).
Even if someone was banned for profanity while playing a game on Live, that's straight up bullshit.
When I was using my 360 for online, I turned off being able to hear randoms because of the foul nature of most of the language/comments/trash talk. I just found it grating and annoying.
So unless MS has policed the hell out of Live and banned just about everyone for bad behaviour on voicechat while playing games, the fact that this guy may have been banned for something of the sort seems like an issue to me.

Raxious

So people are getting banned for profanity on videos I guess. Question is, if you get banned for profanity why don't they tell you how long the ban is and the source of the ban. This seems like it would clear up all this confusion about the source of the ban.

Looks that way, so either uploading a video while you swear or swearing during a skype call can result in a 24 hour ban. I'll update the FP.

Tsundere

Banned
If this is legit, doesn't it all but confirm MS are listening to private chats via Skype? Someone needs to investigate further as this doesn't seem to make a lick of sense...

Yes, that and monitoring every upload to SkyDrive/etc with Upload studio since people have been getting temporary bans from that for swearing as well.

Very shady stuff from Microsoft.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Looks that way, so either uploading a video while you swear or swearing during a skype call can result in a 24 hour ban. I'll update the FP.
I think what is happening is that the video upload ban makes anything that needs gold not work. So even though this message came up in skype, it is related to a separate offense.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Kinect: "I saw a young lady over at your house today, but she didn't match the profile of your wife. I think you should consider renewing your subscription and purchasing more downloadable content. I think you'll agree that this is a mutually beneficial arrangement."
Holy shit, hahaha

fallagin

No it doesn't, we've already had gaffers post that they've cursed without being banned. Stop spreading FUD. You really think if Kinect was banning everyone who cursed on a Skype call, this would be the first time we hear about it? A more plausible explanation is he got banned from Live and can't use Skype as a result of that.

Geeze, defensive much?

Anyways, I didn't realize that this story was wrong.

It is confirmed though that the nsa has a back door into skype calls though. Prism is a real program.

Top Bottom